- Text Size +
Chapter 20

He kept his head down, his glasses and hat hiding just who he was, but at that point in time, it would be a welcome distraction from what was raging through his mind. He sighed, more lost and confused than he had ever felt before. And he had no one to turn to, for all would tell him the same thing, and being honest with himself, he just didn’t want to hear that.

He knew he could never really offer marriage to Terri, no matter how much he talked about it with her. But there were lots of reasons behind that. After the disaster of his first one, he wouldn’t want to do that all over again. Although, Terri probably wouldn’t stay around as a girlfriend for the rest of his life. That gave him a moment’s pause, and he stopped. The rest of his life? That could be quite a while. He sighed once more before he went on walking.

And of course, on the other side, you had Theresa. He couldn’t deny he loved her, he couldn’t deny she wouldn’t be part of his life, for she would forever be. And, if he was tossing all the truthful cards out right now, he knew he would never want her completely out of the picture. For, even if they never got back together, she was a true friend. Hmm, got back together? Yet, he had to admit, the fact that she had kissed AJ, that they were going out, with his kids none the less, was really eating him up. It was sorta…well…he was jealous, he could admit it. That was his wife, fine, ex-wife; she really shouldn’t be seeing anyone else or dating anyone else. Screw the fact that it wasn’t fair.

Which brought up Terri once more. He knew she was the exact opposite of Theresa, that’s probably why he started off doing what he was doing. She was what he wanted. Yet, Theresa changed, there was no denying that. But would it last? Terri was for sure. She would be that sexy lady he would always want. Granted, they never really did much of the same things, for what he liked, she got bored with. And what she liked, he just couldn’t stand. And put in those terms, there wasn’t much of a relationship.

But, he couldn’t take a chance, better yet, he wouldn’t take a chance. A marriage without desire and passion, even with love, wasn’t really much of anything. Sure, the few kisses they shared were passion fueled, but there could be lots of reasons behind that. After all, he was cheating, if you called kissing cheating. And that was always part of any excitement. And he couldn’t deny the passion between him and Terri. Granted, there wasn’t loads of love, but he was more than willing to really try and find out. Sure, he knew everyone would be against that thought, but he wasn’t living for anyone else. So long as Terri knew that his life would always be entwined with Theresa’s because of those kids, because they were friends, than he was willing to stop kissing Theresa. With that thought, he felt like a weight was lifted, and he turned to walk back to the hotel, more than content with his decision.

-----
I opened the door, smiling at AJ, the kids jumping on him, giving him huge hugs.

“We’ve missed you!”

“Aww, thanks, I missed you all too. But, I was thinking of you, cause I got you each something!” I rolled my eyes as I closed my door, linking my arm through his as we made our way to the elevators. Behind us, I heard the ding go off, signaling the arrival of one, and turned briefly, watching as Nick stepped off, glanced at us, shook his head, than make his way down to his hotel room. “That wasn’t pretty.”

“I’ll explain later. I don’t want to ruin this fun evening.”

“Oh, I won’t like it than. By the way, you look amazing.” I blushed and slapped his arm, causing him to laugh. “It’s true.”

“You’re such a damn flirt. Hush already!” He only laughed harder. “So, are you telling me where you’re taking us that we had to be semi nice?”

“Out to eat.”

“Alex, I figured that out. Where?”

“A little restaurant that I know off.” I rolled my eyes and looked at him, but he only smiled as he pushed the button for the lobby. “Just trust me, you’ll like it.”


I sat down in the seat, amazed that my kids were actually being well behaved. The thanked the waitress as she handed them some menus, along with some crayons, than glanced down at it, yet I knew what they both wanted. I shook my head and chuckled before I glanced down at my own menu.

“What?” AJ asked, without even glancing up.

“The kids.” He glanced over at them before turning to me. “They don’t act like this.” He smiled, glanced again at them and at how intent they were on their coloring, both of them, heads bowed and tongues sticking out.

“They’re so cute.”

“They are.”

“So is their mother.”

“AJ, why are you flirting?” His hand reached across the table and covered mine.

“It’s what I do. Even more so in the presence of a beautiful lady.” I held his gaze, feeling the warmth of his words. “You don’t doubt that, do you?” My lack of an answer was all the proof he needed. “Sweetie, if Nick is a fool not to see it, than that’s what he is. You’re amazing; you have the over all package. Man, I would be to so damn lucky to have someone like you by my side.”

“And why don’t you?”

“Because the woman I liked fell for my best friend.” I scrunched my nose up at that.

“Who? Leigh? LeighAnne? Kristen? Or, are we talking outside of the guys?”

“No, I’m talking about you!”

“Oh, please! Alex, you lie.” The smile over took his face.

“It’s not. I can admit it, I did like you.”

“Did like me?”

“Yes, way back when. When you first joined us, I thought you were amazing. Figured I would play the friendly role, the problem is, the more I played the role, the more I saw we wouldn’t work as a couple.”

“I’m not so sure.” His eyes snapped to mine.

“Why do you say that?”

“My gosh, in some ways AJ, I’m just like you! As crazy, fun loving, gentle, yet totally out there, as you!”

“Uncle AJ, I can see you dating mommy.”

“Thank you Thomas, for your input.”

“Mommy, Uncle AJ is cute, why wouldn’t you want him?”

“And thank you Tamara.”

“The kids are right!”

“Alex, hush, for the final time this night!” I felt the burning question in my daughter’s eyes and turned to her. “What’s on your mind little one?”

“Would you not date Uncle AJ?” I slowly turned, my eyes locking with his, a genuine smile on his lips, and I could feel my breath catch. AJ was amazingly good looking when he wanted to be, just like he could be charming, and romantic, and sensual, and flirtatious, all of which I knew all to well. Hell, it wasn’t the first time that someone uttered something like that, and it wasn’t the first time that thought had entered my mind. I reached for the water, taking a drink, not quite knowing how to answer Tamara, who went back to her menu, content with making her point. What harm could there be if I did try and open my mind, and my heart a little?