- Text Size +
The Luminary eyed the man standing across from his desk. One of the three actually had the gall to approach his camp and express the desire to make a deal. Brian almost had him put to death, he would be awaiting his death when they took him home anyway, was there a point to delaying it further? The two stood looking at each other, sizing each other up. Brian knew for sure now that Kevin had lied to him and he felt vindicated in his desire to destroy the town.

“Speak,” The Luminary commanded unable to take the quiet from this man any longer.

“Sir,” AJ swept into a bow and kept his head low as he started to speak. “I have realized, after being out here, that the way of Endwise is truly the enlightened way.” AJ paused and held his breath. No matter how much he thought he could give this man, he was still playing a dangerous game.

“Of course it is. Now tell me why I shouldn’t just lob off your head where you stand and be done with you?”

AJ stood and continued to look at the smaller man sitting behind a big desk. The size of the desk made the man appear even smaller. He wondered if The Luminary knew how ridiculous he actually looked sitting behind that desk. “This town poses a threat to the very existence of our civilization.”

“That is exactly what I think.”

AJ shoved aside his annoyance at being interrupted and continued. “I have lived among them, as one of them for a few days. I know how they work; I know who the leaders are. I could be your inside man. You wouldn’t want to charge in there unaware. What if they are prepared for you, you could be wandering into a trap.” AJ let the words slide off his tongue. He felt a guilty chill run over him but he told himself he was doing what he needed to survive.

Brian looked at the man standing before him. He seemed to have a cruel touch to him, he was almost glad that this man had gotten away. He had provided him with the perfect opportunity to attack his brother and this town, both of which were a constant thorn in his side. Despite Kevin’s assurances that they would never attack, how long would it be until Kevin came to his senses and realized that he could make the people in Endwises’ lives better.

“And what of the two you escaped with?”

“I would be happy to bring them to you myself. My so called friend took something from me and I would be only too happy serve him on a silver platter if I could.”

“Really?” Brian was intrigued by this man. There was a streak of evil running through his blood and he was quite enjoying it being brought out in front of him. “What did he take?” Brian asked but he could read it on the man’s face. It was the girl. The man’s friend got the girl. “I see,” He said before AJ could answer. “What would you want in return? You realize that the other two will be executed.” Brian wanted to be clear that he could not let the woman live just because he wanted to be with her.

“My desire has nothing to do with her. If I can’t have her, no one can.” AJ smirked at The Luminary seeing that he enjoyed his comment. “I want to become part of your inner circle. I want to be a Red for the remainder of my natural days.” He put it out there.

“If I don’t agree?”

“Kill me now and miss out on any information that I could obtain for you. I would also be willing to sabotage them so your attack will be quick and painless for you.”

“I see,” Brian thought it over. This man was ruthless. Brian liked ruthless men. He could use someone like him on his council and if he ever tired of him he could easily have him killed. He laughed inwardly and smiled at AJ. “We have a deal.”

A look of relief swept over AJ. His deal had been accepted. Now he would make sure that he lived longer in a society that he’d grown up in and was starting to sorely miss. Without the fear of dying hanging over his head he would be truly free to live his life completely. AJ bowed to The Luminary again and held it awaiting his first order.

“Go back to the town and find out information on their defences and be back here at sunset tomorrow with the information. If you do not come, I will make sure that you die the slowest way possible.”

AJ closed his eyes hearing this but stood quickly and saluted The Luminary before exiting the tent. He stood outside for a moment before he took a deep breath and started back towards the town.

He was surprised how quickly he was able to find his way back to the town. The Luminary had pointed him in the right direction, well he had one of his guards point him in the right direction. He walked into the town boundaries with many eyes watching him. A little girl ran in front of him and down the way, likely to get the Mayor and possibly Kevin.

Kevin approached with Nick and Emma in tow. AJ smiled at all of them and held out his arms to embrace his friend. “Nick, did I worry you?”

“What were you thinking leaving like that?” Nick started but Kevin held up his hands. Nick was silenced.

“We can discuss that later. I want to know if you ran into The Luminary while you were walking around.”

AJ shook his head. “If I had run into him don’t you think I’d likely be dead right now?” AJ let an easy smile cover his face as his eyes moved from Nick to Emma and finally settling on Kevin.

They all stood silent for a while longer. The sun was causing AJ to start to perspire; at least he hoped it was warm enough he could blame the sun for the sweat that was starting to form on his brow.

“Come with me I want to talk to you,” Kevin put his hand on AJ’s shoulder and guided him away from the others. He wanted to tell AJ about what happened while they were in the woods but he also wanted time alone with him, away from Nick and Emma, to decide for himself if AJ was telling the truth about what happened during the time he was away from everyone.

Nick and Emma watched the other two leave. “Do you think he’s telling the truth?” Emma asked, somewhat ashamed that she would be thinking that AJ would be anything but honest with them.

Nick continued to watch the two figures disappear before he turned to Emma to reply. “AJ may be upset with me, but he and I are like brothers. We have each other’s backs. I trust him.” Nick pulled Emma closer to him and kissed her forehead. “You should too.” He added.

Emma leaned into Nick. She felt guilty that she didn’t have as much faith in AJ as he did. There was something about AJ’s smile that didn’t sit right with her. That smile was hiding something.
Chapter End Notes:
After a long break both Steph and I hope to get back into the swing of things and update more frequently, that is if anyone is still reading ;)