- Text Size +

Fearful Renegade

Thirteen

 

February 4th 2011

 

AJ turned the key and unlocked the door.  When he opened it Dew was there to great him.  “Down boy” AJ told him as he pushed him back gently.

 

“He’s huge” His Mom said from behind him.

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded as he opened the door to let the dog out.  He had just returned home from picking up his Mom in Vancouver.

 

“This house is gorgeous.” Denise said looking around.

 

“Thanks” AJ said as he closed the door.

 

“So will I be meeting this Siannah?” She asked.

 

“Yes she’s coming here after work.” He told her.  “And please don’t turn this into twenty questions about her income and career.”

 

“Alex you moved away without any notice and refused to tell me where you were living.  Then you meet this girl and you start going out, you not only tell me where you have been but you invite me here, I’m sorry if I’m curious about her.”  His Mom told him.

 

“Well just keep the questions to a minimum she’s still upset over her Mom.” AJ told her as he handed her something to drink.

 

“Poor thing” Denise sighed.  “So have you heard anything from this Stalker?” She asked.  “I had an officer at my door, said Detective Snyder called from California wanted someone to stop by and check up on us.”

 

“After Siannah and I started seeing each other, she took me to Vancouver…”

 

“She?” Denise said shocked.

 

“Ma” AJ replied annoyed and she raised her hand apologetically.  “She took me to Vancouver for my Birthday, we spent the night there and when we got back there was one of those gifts on the door step.”  AJ told her.

 

“Alex” She frowned.  “Does she know?”

 

“Yes” AJ told her.  “I told her before why I moved here and I kind of freaked out when I realized what it was.”

 

“Freaked out?” She asked.

 

“Broke up with her, I was ready to run again, I saw her a couple of weeks later, I didn’t know at the time but she came to tell me her Mom was sick and she wanted to talk but I didn’t even give her chance to tell me that.” AJ told her.  “I was getting ready to leave in a couple of day and I had to take Dew to the clinic, that’s when I found out about her Mom dying.”  He continued as his Mom listened.  “We talked and she made me realize that I didn’t want to run anymore, I didn’t want to lose or give up what I have with her.”

 

He sighed.  “The RCMP patrols by here every couple of hours, I have the alarm, can’t do any more than that. I guess.”

 

“How long have you known her?” Denise asked.

 

“I moved here in December, I got Dew and took him to the clinic in March, that’s when I met her.” AJ said.  “We didn’t start seeing each other until New Years Eve it just sort of happened.”

 

“It usually does.” Denise replied.

 

“What?” AJ said confused.

 

“Nothing sweetheart.” She said with a light smile.  “Well I can’t wait to meet her she sounds like a lovely girl.”  There was a moment of silence.  “Is she living here?”

 

“No” AJ replied quickly.

 

“But she does stay here.” Denise said.

 

“So what if she does, I’m 32 years old.”

 

“I’m just saying because your place is clean.” She said with a light smile.  AJ lightly rolled his eyes with a soft chuckle.

 

“God she drives me nuts but I love her.” AJ sighed to himself.

 

“Are you still smoking?” He asked.

 

“No” He replied and she threw her hands up and sighed with relief. 

 

“Are you still drinking?” She asked and he didn’t say anything.  “Alex” She sighed.

 

“I have a glass or two of wine at night, a beer here or there and yeah I got drunk on New Years Eve, ok I’m not hitting the bars every night, I’m not snorting coke…”

 

“But you’re still an Alcoholic.” Denise snipped back.  Just then they heard a car pull into the drive way.  AJ walked over to the door and saw the Silver Chevy in the drive way.  “She’s here please don’t start with that shit okay?” He asked.

 

“Does she know?” Denise asked.

 

“What that I’m an alcoholic? Yes.”

 

“Does she drink with you?” Denise asked and AJ could see a small fire in her eyes.

 

“Ma” AJ replied in a whisper knowing Siannah was going to walk in any minute. Denise huffed as she turned on the couch as the door to his cottage open.  AJ got up and walked over to Siannah as she took her jacket off.

 

“Hey Babydoll.” AJ said as he leaned in a kissed her.

 

“Hi” She replied with a light smile.

 

“So any cool gross stories for me today?” He asked as he waited for her to take off her winter garb.

 

“Nope, pretty quiet today.” She said with a sigh.

 

AJ pouted as he walked her over to the couch and she lightly laughed.  “So Sia this is my Mommy.” AJ said smiling and Siannah laughed again at him.

 

“Hi Ms. Mclean.” Siannah said shaking Denise’s hand as Dew nudged her.

 

“Please, call me Denise.” She replied with a smile.  “How are you doing, Alex told me about your Mother I’m so sorry.”

 

“I’m ok, doing better.” She replied and his Mom might not have been able to see it but he saw her fighting back the sadness.  Dew nudged her again and Siannah looked down.

 

She grabbed the Great Danes face the slobber plastering on her hands and she didn’t care.  “And how’s my Dewwie.” She said as Dew licked her and she started to rub his head and ears as the dog got excited.  AJ lightly chuckled as he watched the two start to wrestle as she headed to the back door with him.

 

When she was outside Denise spoke up.  “She’s gonna freeze out there.”

 

“Mom she was born here, this isn’t cold to her.” AJ replied with a smile.

 

“So she’s still coming around even though that girl is still out there?” Denise said.

 

“Yes, she says she’s not scared but doesn’t mean I’m not.” AJ told her as sat down.  He looked over to the door and saw Siannah tossing snow and Dew as he happily snapped at it, he smiled. The door rolled open and Dew along with Siannah came into the house. 

 

“I need to go change.” Siannah said and then made her way upstairs.

 

“So, what did you do for your Birthday?” His Mom asked as he looked away from his bedroom door.  “In Vancouver.”

 

“We took the Heli-Taxi over there, she rented a limo, she took me to the Aquarium and spent a couple of hours there, she took me to the GM Place we had, dinner here at the Restaurant and then we stayed for the Hockey game.”

 

“Hockey?” Denise replied confused.  “Oh she must have you good if she has you going to sporting events.”

 

“Mom, I live in Canada if I didn’t go to at least one, they would kick me from the country.” AJ said jokingly too her.  “After the game we went back to the hotel where she had cake and presents waiting for me.”

 

“Sounds like it was a great evening.” She replied with a light smile.

 

“It was.” AJ said with a nod.  “I just wish the next day would have been better.”

 

The door the bedroom opened and Siannah walked out showered and changed.  He watched as she walked down the stairs and over to the couch. “Feel better?” He asked.

 

“Yeah” She said with a light nod.  “So did you decide on a place to eat?”

 

“Was thinking Bella’s.” AJ said.

 

They talked for a little bit, AJ catching his Mom up on the past year.  He figured he’d give Siannah a chance to relax after work.  After an hour or so they headed down to the harbor where they enjoyed a fantastic meal.  The talk was light on AJ’s Mom part and it put a small knot in AJ’s stomach, which usually meant she had something to say later.

 

“So are you going to go home soon?” Denise asked.

 

“There it was.” AJ thought with a sigh.

 

“I don’t know” He replied with a shrug.  “Why?  I mean I like it here, there’s nothing in Cali for me…”

 

“But the group?” Denise said with a concern tone in her voice.

 

AJ looked at her for a moment.  “Is over, so there’s nothing for me in California.”

 

“But it was only over because you left, if you come back…They miss you so much Alex not knowing where you are, Kevin calls me at least once a day to see if I’ve heard from you.”

 

“Mom” AJ sighed.

 

“I’m just saying if you’re feeling better…”

 

He interrupted her. “Feeling better? I’m being stalked Ma, by some crazy ass bitch who will stop at nothing to hurt me.  It’s not the fucking flu!” AJ snapped as he slammed down his fist and then stood up from the table, leaving.

 

As he stood outside pissed off and annoyed, he began to shiver.  “Damn” He whispered when he remembered he forgot his jacket.  Walking back inside he headed back to the table.

 

“Why did you do that?” He heard Siannah say and he stopped behind the blocked booth.

 

“Excuse me?” Denise replied.

 

“He’s practically spent his entire time here inside.  He doesn’t talk to any one, you didn’t even know where he lived, he invites you out here one time and you just…”

 

“And what makes you think you can tell me how to talk to my Son?” His Mom snapped.

 

“You don’t get it do you?” Siannah said to her.

 

“Excuse me?” Denise gasp shocked.

 

“He thinks he’s protecting you, you can’t see how scared he is of this woman?” Siannah whispered angrily and he could barely hear her.  “Alex is just starting to open up again you can’t expect him to just return to his old life again.”

 

“Old life?” Denise replied.  “That is his life, the group, those boys, but I wouldn’t expect you to understand that.”

 

AJ stepped around the booth and glared at his Mom.  “I forgot my jacket.” He replied.

 

“Well I’m done too” Denise relied as she got up from the bench.  “I’ll be by the truck.”  He watched his Mom as she walked away and then he looked down at Siannah.  Sitting down across from her where his Mother was sitting as she started to collect her belongings he looked at her. 

 

“I’m sorry” AJ said and she looked up at him.

 

“For what?” She replied as she draped her wool coat over her arm.

 

“I heard what she said to you.” AJ said as she started to get up but she didn’t say anything. “Sia” He said as he gently took her arm.

 

“It’s fine” She sighed.  He let her go as she headed towards the front because he wasn’t going to start bickering here.

 

“Sir?” A man said from behind him and he turned around. “Your bill”

 

AJ took it from him.  “Thanks” He replied with a light smile.