- Text Size +

Fearful Rengade

 

Four

 

When he walked in the front doors he heard the music thumping and saw a small table with a woman who worked with Siannah at the clinic and he had seen her out with Siannah too. She was taking the cover charge so he waited for his turn and walked up to the table.

 

“Hi Alex, it’s so nice to see you here.” She said with a smile as he handed her the money.  “Have fun tonight” She replied as he smiled at her.

 

“Thanks” He replied and then headed into the large dance hall. 

 

It was weird he wondered if this is what high school was like, walking into the gym for the big end of the year party.  Except there wasn’t just kids there, there were people his age, older, and even a few seniors in the mix.  He smiled wondering if that would be him in those years. His eyes began the search; he wondered where she would be.  It was kind of dark with the only lights being the ‘club’ type lights dancing around the room. 

 

He made his way over to where they had the bar on the one side of the room and ordered a beer.  Then he began to walk around the room, saying hello to people he barely knew but had seen them around town time and time again.  And then he looked over to a table by the dance floor, she was sitting at it, her face illuminated by the screen of her phone.  He noticed she was typing something.  He took a sip from the bottle and made his way over to her. 

 

She must have noticed him approach because she looked up and her face showed shock.  “Hi” She spoke.

 

“Hi” He replied as he stopped by the chair beside her. “Can I sit?”

 

“Sure” She replied as she put down her phone and sat up a little.  “So you changed your mind eh?” She asked.

 

“You said eh” He smiled and she rolled her eyes.

 

“We all say eh every now and then get over it.” She heckled and he lightly laughed. 

 

“At least there’s a DJ.” He said as he saw the man on the stage.

 

Siannah laughed very sarcastically and he looked at her confused.  “The Mayor’s Son thinks he has mad spinning skills.” She told him and he saw the detest on her face and the sarcasm in her tone.  It made AJ laugh and then she laughed too.

 

“Well I’m glad you came normally I wouldn’t even be here but with the storm and all.” She said with a sigh as she picked up her drink.

 

“So do you dance?” He asked as he nodded to the dance floor.

 

“I’ll slow dance but I don’t dance dance at least to this kind of music.” She replied as she swallowed her drink.

 

“Aww come on.” He said pouting.  “Not even a little”

 

“Nope” She replied shaking her head.

 

“Well you’re no fun” He replied pouting again.  She smirked and returned her eyes back to her glass; he sat there for a moment and waited.  Then when she put it down he gently took her by the wrist and pulled her up.

 

“Alex no really I don’t dance” She told him as he dragged her out to the dance floor.  He brought them out a little ways and then stopped, turning to face her.  It was then he saw what she was wearing.  A knee high black empire waist dress, white pearls adorned her neck, her hair was up in a fancy bun all tight and neat, with her bangs swooping across her brow.  He shook the shock from his head.

 

“Okay watch what I do it’s simple.” He said as he let go of her wrist.

 

“Alex” She sighed turning away.

 

“Watch watch.” He said grabbing her hands again and stopping her.

 

He heard her moan and then started with a simple step.  He looked up at her and she was just standing there.  “Please” He said as he pushed out his bottom lip.

 

“That’s not fair” She replied and he smiled.

 

“I know, now dance” He said to her as he started doing the step he showed her. Slowly she started to dance with him and he smiled again.  “There ya go you got it, I told you it wasn’t that hard.”  Siannah lightly laughed as she danced with him.  When the song ended they returned to their seats. 

 

“You did good out there kid” He nodded jokingly as he took a sip of his beer.

 

“Look out Broadway here I come” She replied as she did a little jazz hand motion.

 

“Well I wouldn’t go getting a big head about it.” AJ teased.

 

“Ass” She gasped as she smacked his arm and he started laughing. He caught himself staring, staring at that smile and then he looked away quickly before she busted him.  His eyes drifted back to his beer and for a moment he thought about what he was doing here but he pushed it away.  He wasn’t even here for an hour and he was having more fun than he had in year. 

 

“Oh I know I wrote it but thanks for letting me crash at your place the night of the storm.” She said over the loud music.

 

“No problem” He replied with a light smile. “I hope Dew was a good boy”

 

“Yes he was fine” She replied with a laugh.

 

“And this special song goes out to our favorite Vet, Ms Siannah Jenners.”  The DJ said and both AJ and her looked to the stage.  As Dean Martins Mambo Italiano blasted through the speakers AJ looked back at her and she was smiling.

 

“Now this is something I can dance to.” She said as she grabbed his wrist and stood up, dragging him to dance floor.  He was able to put down his beer just in time.  When she got to around the same spot they were in before she stopped and turned to him.  “Do you know how to Swing?” She asked.

 

“Swing?” He replied confused and then his eyebrows shot up slightly in surprise.  “You mean as in the dance?”

 

“Yeah” She replied with a nod.

 

He shook his head.  “No” And lightly laughed.

 

“Okay, watch me.” She said as she nodded for him to look at her feet.  She kicked her foot in and out as she swayed her hands back and forth to the beat.  “And then you do it with the other foot.”

 

“Okay” AJ replied unsure but on the count of three did it with her.  They preformed that step a couple of times and AJ smiled as he started to get it.  She then showed him another move and then another.  Soon he was dancing away with the few steps she had taught him.

 

“I must say not bad for your first time” She replied as they walked back to the table.

 

“Ha, flash back to when I lost my virginity.” He laughed as he followed her.

 

“Ugh god Alex I didn’t need to know that” She replied as she looked back at him.

 

“Are you thirsty?” He asked still giggling a little.

 

“Yes” She replied as she looked over to the bar.

 

“That’s pretty cool you can swing dance” AJ told her as they waited for someone to take their order.

 

“I can Jive, Jitter Bug, I mean I’m not a professional but those dances always seemed so fun to me.”

 

“Seriously?” He said as his eyebrows rose in interest.

 

“Next time we see each other at the dog park I’ll show ya.” She said with a smile and he smiled back at her.

 

“Another White Freezie Sia?” The bartender asked.

 

“Please” She replied with a nod and then she looked back at AJ.  “Another beer?”

 

“Actually I’ll take a Jack and Coke” He told her and then she told the events bartender.  When they got their drinks they went back to their table and sat down.  “You know I don’t think I’ve ever had one of those?”

 

“Try it” She said handing him her glass.

 

He took it from her and took a sip. “Nice” He replied.  “Wow really is like a White Freezie” She nodded as she took back her drink.  As he put his glass down he looked at his watch and saw the time.  It was about an hour and a half till midnight. 

 

The two sat and talked, well mostly Siannah talked and he listened.  She told him who certain people were and a little bit about the town.  When they finished a drink they would go up and get more and then sit back down.  Soon both of them were feeling really good and AJ noticed with each drink she got closer and closer to him.  He was absolutely enjoying himself.  Maybe a little openness couldn’t hurt, this stalker was still being looked for, and he’s all the way in Canada.  His eyes darted to Siannah and a memory of the dream from the night before flashed in his mind. 

 

“Alright ladies and gents almost that time” The DJ announced.  “Everyone on the floor”  There were cheers and the room got louder as everyone got excited to ring in the New Year.  Grabbing his glass he stood up, Siannah took his hand and they walked out to the dance floor.  The giant screen that had been showing videos all night cut into a live shot of downtown Vancouver.  People in the large city gathered at the event and all were focused on the large ball that hung above them.

 

“Alright here we go!” The DJ shouted into the mic and AJ looked beside him as Siannah cheered with the rest of the crowed in the room.  His hand slipped behind her and she looked at him, she smiled and they both looked back at the giant TV. 

 

“5…4…3…2…1!” Everyone shouted and then let out a giant cheer as the usually New Years Eve anthem rang through the speakers. AJ raised his class and cheered with the others and then he turned to Siannah. 

 

She looked at him and smiled. “Happy New Year Alex”

 

“Happy New Year Siannah” He told her and then without giving it another thought he leaned in kissed her.  It wasn’t a quick kiss nor was it a long passionate one but when he trapped her lips between his, he definitely felt something. 

 

“A toast” He said to her as he brought up his glass.

 

“To what?” She asked with a light smile.

 

“To a New Year…” He started to say stating the obvious.  “…and to new paths in life, one that I really did not see coming until I got there.”  Siannah lightly smiled as they touched glasses and then took a sip.  The music started and as a familiar slow song came on the radio he sighed.

 

“I knew I couldn’t get through the night without hearing something.”

 

Siannah started laughing but then she took him by the hand.  “This one’s not so bad.” She said pressing her body against his and started to slow dance with him as they held their glasses.