- Text Size +

Fearful Renegade

 

Five

 

 

AJ fumbled with his keys in his frozen hands as he wobbled trying to stay up.  The trucks were still in the Community Center parking lot, taking a cab home from the dance.  Finally he got the key into the hole and opened the door; he punched the numbers into the key pad as Siannah walked in behind him closing the door.  Dew was up and over at them in no time.

 

“Whoa” AJ said as his dog greeted his drunken state.  “Alright, alright” He started laughing as he walked over to the back doors.  He opened them and let Dew outside closing it as the cold air blew in.  When he turned around he saw Siannah taking off her heels.  “Drink?” He asked.

 

“Sure” She replied. 

 

“I have beer and…”

 

“What are you having?” she asked.

 

“Straight Jack on ice.” He told her.

 

“I’ll have that then” She said as she sat down on the couch. He raised his eyebrows a little surprised not too many women drank straight Jack.  “You really like JD.”

 

“Yeah” He replied with a nod.

 

Pouring them each a glass he walked over and handed her one, he then set his down and started a fire.  When he sat down he took his glass from the table and took a sip. 

 

“So did you have fun tonight?” She asked as he looked at her.

 

“Yeah I did” He replied with a nod.

 

“So you’re glad you came then?”

 

“Yep” AJ nodded.

 

“Good” She replied with a smile.  “I have to admit I didn’t think you would show up, what made you change your mind?” She asked.

 

“You” He said and she looked at him.

 

“Me?” She said.

 

He nodded.  “Honestly, I started thinking maybe you had asked me because you wanted me to go with you and I gave you that really lame excuse about being ok with spending New Years Eve alone.”  He told her and she lightly smiled which confirmed to him she knew it was a lame ass excuse.

 

“Why do you spend so much time alone?” She asked and he looked at her. “You’ve been here a year and you barely know people and it’s not like this is a big city or even a big town when you take out all the part timers.”

 

He sat there for a moment, he wanted to tell her, and he wanted to be honest with her but what if she got scared? What if she didn’t want to deal with it like Emily?  When he felt her hand on his he looked up.  She took the glass from him and set it down.  She moved closer to him and then looked him in the eyes.

 

He took a deep breath.  “November of last year I was out with Nick at a club and I got a call from a police officer.  A few months before this I had been getting phones calls, letters, gifts, and threats and it really wasn’t anything major I’ve dealt with it before but…” He paused as he remembered that night.

 

“But what?” She asked.

 

“When the Officer called he told me my house had been broken into and my girlfriend at the time Emily had been assaulted.” He told her and he saw her frown.  “She was beaten up and tossed down my staircase, when she woke up the next morning she told me she couldn’t deal with it anymore.  That’s when I decided I couldn’t deal with it anymore either.   It just got way to personal and I had to get away.”

 

“Did they find her?’ Siannah asked.

 

“No” AJ replied and hoped she wouldn’t take off running.

 

“So that’s why you’re here?” She asked.

 

He nodded.  “I’m hoping she’s on the run since the cops are looking for her.  I basically just packed up and moved once I found this place.”

 

“You didn’t tell anyone?” She asked.

 

“Just my Mom, didn’t tell her where I was going too, just that I was and I would call her when I got settled.” He told her.  “None of my friends know where I am either…”

 

“Wait...” She said stopping him.  “Is this why the group broke up?”

 

“Yeah” He replied.  “I told them I couldn’t do it anymore, it became personal, I know not all fans are or were like this person but it’s like being cheated on, the trust is gone.”

 

“Wow Alex I had no idea” She said with a frown.  “But you shouldn’t hide away because of this person, they’re sick in the head, and…”

 

“Dangerous.” He told her.  “She doesn’t care how she gets to me as long as she does.”

“But to leave your friends, your family, your Mom?” She asked.

 

“I just don’t want anyone else getting hurt.” He said with a sigh.  “Especially you”

 

With a sympathetic whimper she placed her hand on the side of his face and then looked him in the eyes.  “I’m not afraid.” She told him, he looked at her for a moment and was about to reply when he was stopped by her lips on his.

 

At first he was a little taken back by it, kissing at midnight was one thing but this…It had been a while since someone had kissed him like this.  When they pulled away she lightly smiled at him and then reached down and picked his drink back up.  She handed it to him and then took hers again.  That was it and he sat there a little puzzled.

 

Something scratching at the door made him jump up and hurry to the backdoor.  He quickly opened it and let Dew in.  He whined as he shook the snow off and walked over to the fireplace.  AJ walked back over and sat down.

 

“Sorry bud” He replied with a frown as the dog looked at him.

 

When he looked back to Siannah she was taking a sip of her Jack and he lightly smiled.  He guessed that was her way of letting him know she didn’t care about the stalker, she didn’t care about any of that.

 

“So what about you?” He asked and she looked at him as she pulled her drink from her mouth.

 

“What about me?” She asked.

 

“What don’t I know about you?” He asked as he sat on the couch with one leg tucked in and the other hanging off the side.  She was facing him with both legs tucked under her as the bottom of her dress hung down to the floor.

 

“Well I’ve been more upfront than you have.” She said and AJ rolled his eyes.  “My Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was fifteen she’s been in remission for about 10 years and every May I got to Vancouver and we do The Walk for Breast Cancer.”

 

“It’s cool you are so close with your family.” He replied.

 

“I take it besides the fact you’re here, you’re not that close with yours?”

 

AJ raised his eyebrows with a slight nod.  “I am with my Mom, I mean we have our moments but I’m an only child…”

 

“You are? See I didn’t know that” She replied.

 

He looked at her confused.  “No I guess you wouldn’t.  Sorry I’m just so use to talking to people who know my whole life story.” He replied with a shy smile.  “I grew up with my Mom, Grandmother and Grandfather; my Dad wasn’t in the picture at all he left when I was three. Long story there that I really don’t wanna talk about right now.”

 

“So you grew up in Florida right? Cause that’s where the group is from?” She replied and he nodded.

 

“What’s the coolest place you’ve been too?” She asked and he was glad she changed the subject.

           

            “Hmm…” He replied thinking.  “Shakespeare’s house was pretty cool. I remember the houses being so small and thinking these places would be perfect for my Mom.” He told her and she lightly laughed.  “Maybe the really old parts of Europe so much history there.”

 

            “Nice” She replied with a smile and a nod.

 

“What about you, where’s the coolest place you’ve been?”

 

“Seattle” She replied and he looked at her a little confused.

 

“Really? Seattle?” He said a little shocked that was her answer.

 

“Outside of Vancouver it’s the only place I’ve been.” She said looking at him.  “We got Whistler to the North and all this water to play on in the summer, don’t need to go anywhere.”

 

“True” He said with an agreeing nod. “Okay then where do you want to go?”

 

“Easy, New York.” She replied before she drank the last that was in her glass.

 

“I should have known.” He replied with a light smile.  “I’m empty too did you want another one?”

 

“Sure” She replied and she handed him her glass.  When he stood up he noticed the JD went right to his head. 

 

“Are you going to make it?” Siannah asked with a laugh.

 

“I’m good” He replied getting his bearings and heading to the kitchen.  After pouring them each a new glass he walked back over to the couch and sat down.

 

“Hey why don’t you show me more Swing steps?” He said as he put his drink down.

 

“Sure” She replied before taking another sip.

 

“Wait we need music.” He replied as he stood up.

 

“Here…” She said walking over to his radio.  Turning it on she ran the dial down and began searching for the station.  “Here it is” she replied as she turned around and he heard big band music playing.  “So you remember what I showed you right?”

 

“I’m not that drunk” He sighed and she giggled.

 

“Okay” She replied as she took his hands.  “So when we finish those steps, I’ll spin out and you pull me back in and then raise your arm over me like this.” She showed him.

 

“K, think I got it” He replied.

 

They went through the steps again and began dancing right there in AJ’s living room.  Both of them started laughing as AJ got the hang of it and they went with the fun.  He spun her out for a third time and pulled her back in, he raised his arm and let her swing under and she spun out, turning to face him.  But her inebriated stated couldn’t handle another spin and she wobbled. 

 

“Whoa” AJ laughed as he caught her and they both started busting out laughing.  As he held her in his arms, his eyes locked on hers, his laughing calmed.  Slowly he leaned in and kissed her again.  Trapping her bottom lip between his he gently sucked it before slightly opening his lips again.  This time it was her turn to trap his and as hers parted he drifted his hand from her hip up to her neck.  His fingers brushed against her soft skin before settling against the side of her neck.  Their lips parted and gradually he let his tongue slip from his mouth and fall into her hers.  He felt her hands tenderly squeeze the side of his arms and he realized he needed air.  Sluggishly he pulled his lips away from hers and opened his eyes.  Her one hand moved aimlessly from his arm to his chest and he could tell she was a little light headed too.

 

“Shall we take this upstairs?” He asked as she looked up at him.

 

A soft smile broke from her lips as he felt her hand lay flat against his chest.  He watched as she softly bit her lip before she whispered. “Yes”