- Text Size +

Fearful Renegade

Nine

            Over the next few days AJ found himself and Dew traveling back and forth between his place and Siannah’s place.  They had dinner, they watched TV, they took Dew to the park, and AJ found himself starting to want to talk to his friends again, he started to want to see his friends again.

 

Then the time came for his Birthday and the only thing he knew about the day was that Dew was going to be spending the night at Becca’s house.  She packed his bag, she made the plans, and it was her truck that was loaded and ready to go before she left with Dew for work.   He wondered if she did all this on purpose, so he would have to spend the rest of the day stewing on what the hell was going on.  It was something he noticed of her, she loved to torment him and she knew how.

 

When he heard the truck pull into the driveway at noon he knew something was up, she was off work early.  He greeted her at the front door with a kiss and then studied her.  She didn’t look dressed up, she wore jeans, black rider style boots, her wool jacket, and her hair was in a ponytail. 

 

“Ready?” She asked as she stood by the open door.

 

“What now?” He asked.

 

Siannah nodded. “Yep”

 

“Okay” AJ said as he grabbed his jacket and threw it on.  He followed her out to the truck and climbed into the passenger side.  “So am I going to have to wear a blind fold?”

 

“No” She said with a light laugh as she started the vehicle.

 

AJ looked around as he realized Siannah drove towards the Island airport in town.  When she parked the truck in the parking lot he looked at her confused but she just smiled and got out.  Unbuckling he climbed out of the vehicle, helped her with the bags, and followed her to the building. 

 

“Hi” Siannah said as walked up to the counter.

 

“Hi hun, are we going to go see the folks tonight?” She asked.

 

“No not tonight” She replied with a smile and AJ got a clue.

 

“Eric will be out to take you up just have a seat.” The woman told her.

 

“Okay” Siannah replied and AJ followed her as she left the counter.

 

“So, we’re going to Vancouver.” He said with a smile.

 

“Yep” She replied with a nod.  “I use the helicopter shuttle it’s faster than the ferry.”  AJ continued to stare at her as she looked so normal so calm.  “What did you do today?” She asked as she looked at him.

 

“Nothing” He replied.

 

“Hey Siannah ready to go?” A man asked as he walked out from a door beside the office.

 

AJ followed the two as they walked outside to the helicopter pad.  The man AJ assumed now was Eric opened a side door for them and Siannah climbed in first and then he followed.  He took the head set from her and put it on as he noticed the pilot putting their bags into a compartment.  When Eric got in he started the chopper up and soon they were flying over the channel towards Vancouver.

 

As he looked out Siannah’s window his eyes drifted towards her.  He wondered what this caring, amazing woman had in store for him tonight and a small smile broke from his lips.  His head turned and he looked out his window at the water bellow but he started to wonder if this was too much, they could have celebrated in Parksville.  When he felt a tap on his arm he turned his head looking at Siannah and she pointed out the front window.  He looked out and saw the tall buildings of Vancouver as the Rockies roared upwards in the distance.

 

“Wow, that’s nice” He said into the mic and she smiled with a nod.

 

When they landed he got out first and took her hand as he helped her out of the helicopter.  They retrieved their bags and holding her hand he let her lead him to his next destination.  She led him out of the building where there was a limo waiting.  The driver opened the door but AJ stopped.  When Siannah stopped she turned and looked at him confused.

 

“What’s wrong?” She asked as she walked up to him.

 

“You didn’t have to do this.” He replied.

 

“What do you mean?” She said still puzzled.

 

“The helicopter, the limo…I don’t need all of this.” He told her.

 

“I know” She replied and her face was blank.  “But it’s your Birthday.”

 

“I know but this stuff is expensive and…”

 

“And you don’t think I can’t afford it?” She replied.  “I’ve been a full time vet for five years, of my own clinic, practically single that entire time, how much shopping do you think I do? I told you I don’t ride the ferry I take the Heli, and the limo cause well it’s so much nicer than a cab…” She asked and it brought a smile to his face after a brief moment of embarrassment.  “…now if you don’t want to we can go back home…” She said as she started walking back to the building but he stopped her, turned his head slightly and looked at her.  “Alright then” She replied as she took his hand and they walked to the limo.

 

When they got into the limo she took his hand into hers.  “I want you to have fun tonight okay? Promise me you’ll have fun tonight.”

 

“I will” He as he placed his hand over theirs and when he looked back up at her she kissed him.

 

First they pulled up to the Vancouver Aquarium and this was one place he had heard of.  He held her close to him as they walked around the tanks and looked at all the exotic fish.  They walked over to the Dolphin Exhibit, where they got to touch, play, and learn how to get the Mammals to do tricks.  Next they were onto the Sea Turtles, where they learned about them, prepared them a meal and then were able to feed it to them.

 

Soon they were leaving the park and AJ found himself getting hungry.  “So where to now?” He asked.

 

“You’ll see” She said as she laid his head on his shoulder.

 

To his surprise they didn’t drive very far. “What is this place?” He asked as he looked out the window.  “Wait I know this place.”

 

“It’s the GM Center.” She told him.  “You can’t live here and not go to at least one Hockey game.”  AJ smiled as the driver opened the door and they climbed out.  “And don’t worry my Dad has season tickets so I scored them from him.” She said leaning towards him a little.  He looked at her and she smiled at him, he smile back with a light chuckle.

 

To AJ’s relief they went to the restaurant and ate.  Through out the entire dinner he asked her questions about the game and she helped him understand.  He didn’t really realize how complex Hockey was.  It wasn’t like learning plays in football but there were a lot of rule, formations, which sets of players to put out depending on if you wanted defense, offense, power play specialist or face off specialists. 

 

When dinner was over they walked through the Canucks store and AJ even bought himself a hat. Then they took their seats as the players were on the ice warming up.  The energy from the crowd was infectious and when the Go Canucks Go chant started AJ found himself cheering along. 

 

“So is this a rivalry?” AJ asked as he looked at her.

 

“All Canadian teams are rivals when they play each other.” She said with a light smile. “But these two do have some good battles, the Colorado Avalanche are our real rivals but the Flames come a close second.”

 

When the home hockey team took to the ice everyone started going crazy.  AJ found himself really getting into the game since he someone there to help him out. When the second period horn went off he looked down at his watch just wondering what time it was and he read his watch as 9:30 he looked at her.

 

“Don’t you have work tomorrow?” He asked.

 

“No” She replied as she looked from the action on the ice.

 

“Oh, sweet” He replied with a mischievous smile and she chuckled.

 

“So what’s with that Lou chant?” He asked.

 

“It’s for Luongo, our goalie; every time he makes a good save we chant it.” She told him.  “It really picked up after his performance for the Olympics last year.”

 

“Did you go?” He asked.

 

“Yeah, my family went to a bunch of stuff, my Dad took my brothers and I to the Gold medal game too, dunno how he got those tickets but it was awesome.” She replied and he noticed her eyes drifted remembering.  “And it was in this building too but we were sitting on the other side.”

 

When the third period horn went off, the crowd went crazy that the home team won and the players celebrated on the ice.  AJ and Siannah followed the shuffling crowed out of the Arena and as they walked down the large stairs outside he saw the limo was ready and waiting.

 

This time as AJ sat in the car he didn’t ask any questions he just sat there holding Siannah in his arms as the limo drove along the coast line.  When the vehicle came to a stop she sat up and he looked around.  They were at a hotel.  Collecting their bags he took her hand as they walked into the building.

 

“Reservation for Jenners” She said walked up to the attendant.  The woman typed quickly and then nodded.  Siannah took the keycards from the woman and grabbed her bag.  He followed her over to the elevators and waited.

 

The lift took them up to the tenth floor and the doors opened.  Siannah walked out first and stopped in the floor lobby.  “This way” She said as he walked over and followed.

 

When she stopped in front of a door she swiped the card and the large gold box’s light went green.  She turned the knob and pushed on the door opening it.  As AJ walked into the room, he looked around and put his bag down.  There was a small kitchenette beside him, a living space in front of him with a couch, TV and table.  As he heard a door open he looked to his right and saw Siannah going into another room.  He followed her and it led him to a private bedroom with a private bath.

 

AJ walked over to her and when she turned around he was standing right in front of her.  “This…” He said as he took her by the hands. “…has been the best Birthday ever.”

 

“Oh I don’t believe that but you’re sweet.” She replied with a light smile.

 

“I mean it Sia, thank you.” He said as he looked into her eyes.

 

“Well, you’re welcome.” She replied softly as he leaned in and kissed her but they were broken apart by a knock at the door. “Can you go get that I gotta go to the ladies room.”

 

“Sure” He replied with a small chuckle and then gave her a quick kiss.

 

AJ walked out of the bedroom and across the hotel room to the door.  He looked out the peep hole and the sighed.  With a light smile he opened the door.

 

“Come on in” He said as he ushered the servant with the rolling cart and a Birthday cake complete with sparklers on it.

 

“Happy Birthday” The man said with a nod.

 

“Thanks” AJ replied still chuckling and then closed the door.  When he turned around he saw Siannah standing by the couch with a handful of presents.

 

“Sia” AJ said as he tilted his head down a little.

 

“It’s your Birthday, cake and presents, it’s a given.” She said as she sat them down.