- Text Size +

His POV

I can’t believe this day is finally here, I can’t believe it’s almost over.  The ceremony was beautiful.  I didn’t know if I had it within me to go through with it.  I’ll admit it, I’ve said it for years.  I was never getting married.  Ever. I don’t ever want to go through what my parents went through.  What they put us through.  Gut wrenching.  Heart breaking.  I looked at my brothers and sisters.  They bore the scars as well.  The only one here with me today was Angel.  The one who I always connected with.  My baby sister.  She walked over to me and wrapped her arms around my waist. 

“You did it, Nicky” she said giving me a brief squeeze.  “Make sure you save a dance for me…” she said looking up at me with a smile.  “I’m proud of you,” she said as she kissed me on the cheek before walking away to join some of her friends that I’d invited.  I hoped someday she’d find the same happiness I had.  I scanned the room for my beautiful bride.  Seeing her, I just sat back and watched her with wonder.  She lit up the room, her beauty radiating from within.  She saved me.  Simple as that. From my family, from the world, from myself.  My wife, Amelia Grace Carter.  Mel, to me, and only me.  I remembered the day I proposed.

I didn’t have anything scheduled for a couple of weeks, so I called my travel agent at the last minute and told her the sky was the limit and to get us out of town for a week.  We ended up in Tahiti in an amazing hut over the water.  I was leaned against the headboard of the oversized king bed in our room, the sheer curtains billowing softly in the breeze.  I looked down at Mel, who had her head resting in my lap.  Wearing nothing but my white dress shirt from last night and a barely there pink thong she had thrown on really quick this morning when room service knocked at our door.  I looked down at her as she reached up to stroke my cheek.

“I love you…” she said softly.

“I love you too,” I said running my fingers through her long, silken brunette waves.

“I can’t believe we have to go back tomorrow,” she said with a slight pout.  “I’ve enjoyed having you all to myself.”

“Me too, baby” I sighed.  “Tour starts in three weeks, rehearsals are going to be a bitch.”

“And I need to get the house and everything organized before we leave.  So much to do, I’ll have to make a list…” she laughed softly. 

“You and your lists,” I teased her.

“Hey, they keep me organized,” she sat up and turned towards me, She climbed up on my lap and straddled me, putting her arms around my neck.  I lowered my lips to hers and gently kissed her.

“Well, there’s one thing I need you to make sure you put on the top of your list that you need to do – probably when we get back from the tour…” I said as I began to reach behind me and under the pillow. 

“What’s that?” she said

My heart was beating out of my chest. I pulled out the little, black velvet box I had put there earlier when she was letting the room service guy in.  I gently opened it revealing the brilliant three carat cushion cut diamond.  Neil Lane himself had designed it.

“How about a wedding, baby.  Will you marry me?” I asked taking her hand and slipping the ring on her finger.  Perfect fit.  Damn I’m good.
Her eyes sparkling with tears, she cupped my face. “Yes, baby.  Oh my God, yes!!!” she threw her head back in an enchanting laugh.  “Oh, I love you, I love you, I love you.” She said as she rained kisses all over my face.

“I love you, too” I said as I rolled over on top of her and began to undo the buttons on her shirt.  Time to celebrate…

 “You did good, Nick” I felt a hand on my shoulder snapping me out of my daydream.  I looked over to see one of my best friends.  My brother from another mother.

“Thanks, J” I said slapping his hand.  “I’m so lucky…” I watched Amelia make her way through the crowd, charming our guests.  Standing between my grandma and grandpa she looked over to me, with her arm around each, she radiated warmth.  She motioned over to me, as I nodded and gave a slight wave, indicating I would be there in a minute.

“Just don’t fuck it up, she’s been there for you more than anyone ever has been,” AJ said in a way only he could as he patted my back and walked away. 
I began to make my way through the crowd.

“So proud of you, little brother,” Kevin said coming and giving me a hug. 

“You’ve done really well for yourself, so has she – you’ve really grown up!” He smiled at me.  The big brother I never had, it meant a lot to me that Kevin approved.  “There were times I thought you were going to let her slip away…”

“Worst mistake I would have ever made…” I said as I took a sip of my champagne.

“You know, bro” Kevin said as he took a sip of his drink, “there was a time I didn’t think you deserved her.”

“I still wonder that sometimes,” I said honestly.

“No, Nick” Kevin looked at me pointedly.  “You deserve it.  You deserve happiness, you deserve her.  One thing you cannot ever question after everything you two have been through is that she loves you for who you are, not what you are.  I’m happy for you!  Now, go find your wife and I’m gonna go find mine.  Maybe I’ll even get lucky tonight,” he laughed as he walked away.

I scanned the crowd looking for Ameila and didn’t see her.  Suddenly, I felt soft hands slip around my waist.  “Hello, Mr. Carter,” I heard her beautiful voice whisper in my ear, before lightly kissing the back of my neck.  I lifted my arm so she could move up beside me.

“Well, hello Mrs. Carter,” I smiled gently kissing her forehead.  “How do you like your party so far?” She gave me a sideways glance.

“My party?” she smirked.  “All for me?”

“Hey baby,” I whispered pulling her closer, “you know I was pushing for Vegas…”

She laughed.  “Yes, I  know, but you would have regretted,” she laced her fingers through mine.  “Another half hour and we can blow the joint. We just need to have the first dance.  Still not going to tell me what song you picked?” she asked.


“Nope, my secret!” I said with a smug look on my face.  “That’s the only thing I had to take care of.  Trust me, you’ll love it.  You’ll get all weepy, guaranteed.”

“You act like I don’t already know it’s going to be Faithfully, Nick” she said to me.  She had no idea.

“You’ll have to wait and see,” I said pulling her in close for another kiss.

Her POV

I pulled back and stared into my husband’s eyes.  Nick Carter.  My husband.  My imperfectly, perfect Nick.  I loved him more than I ever thought I could love anyone.  It literally consumed me.  I now know what people mean when they say their heart is bursting.  It wasn’t always this way.  This man put me through more than I ever thought possible.  Family drama, his DUI, Paris, all the other flavors of the week, month, year, bad press, tours, issues with the boys.  Take your pick.  But I knew.  I always knew.  He’d come back to me.  I loved him completely, for who he was.  I wanted to love him, protect him, comfort and keep him for the day I met him – those were the vows we spoke today.  Forget from the day we got married.  I was his that first day.  I always told him that I knew he loved me before he did.  I just had to be patient and he’d see it too.  He just needed to believe someone could love him.


It was Spring Break in the Florida Keys.  My first time I went away with friends with no parents, no adults, no one.  We’d been having a blast. But I was exhausted.  My friends were gathered at one of the many tiki bars that littered Key West, and I just wanted to get away for while.  It was after 11:00 p.m. and I wandered out to the beach. The moon was amazing that evening.  I walked down to the shoreline and plopped down, letting the calm waves lap up over my toes.  I’d been having such a fun time with everyone, but the quiet, serene beach was a welcome oasis.  I laid for what seemed like an hour before getting up to head back in.  I knew my friends would wonder where I was. 

Making my way up the beach, I saw two guys in a heated conversation. Not wanting to get involved, I kept walking.  I heard one of the guys scream really loud, “you’re always fucking up our plans…” before throwing his hands up in the air and walking away.  I saw the other guy begin to walk away and stumble clumsily before collapsing on the beach in a heap.  Against my better judgment I walked over to him.

“Hey….” I said bending down.  “are you okay?”

“What do you care?” he said as he tried to get up to walk away, not making it past his knees.  I reached out and did my best to support his tall frame, lowering him back down to the beach. 

“I don’t think you’re going anywhere just yet,” I said gently.  I could smell the alcohol emulating off of him.  He was hammered.  I noticed his hand was in a cast.  I didn’t want him to hurt himself even worse.  “Want to talk about it?” I asked him, genuinely concerned.  I’d always been a softie.  I hated to see anyone hurting.
“Oh, sure.  How much time do you have?  Let’s see, my parents are assholes, my brothers and sisters can’t stand each other, my band is about to break up because one of our guys just went into rehab and guess what?  I’m probably next.  That about covers it.  Oh, and how about the only reason my friends want me around is so they can sponge off me.  Want to stick around?” he said laughing sarcastically.


“Why not,” I said.  “That’s no reason to walk away from someone.  Talk to me about it…” and he did.  He was sobered up within 2 hours but we stayed on that beach all night talking.  I had never had a connection before like that with anyone.  I wanted to protect him, to save him.  We fell asleep just as the sun was coming up and were awakened by a police officer a few hours later. 


He stood up and offered me his hand.  He pulled me into a hug.  “Thanks for last night.  No one has ever listened to me like you did.” I hugged him back and left.  Two weeks later a large bouquet of wildflowers arrived at my dorm.  He thanked me for being a friend.  That’s how it all began…

 It hadn’t been perfect.  I was always in the background, there for him.  Even through the other women.  When we were “just friends”.  When people were telling me to give up on him.  I knew because  I believed in him.  I had fallen in love with him that night on the beach.  I had seen the real Nick.  The one that he doesn’t let many people see.  I waited for him.  He knew.  He always came back.  He always knew who to call.  Then finally, three years ago – through some of the darkest days he ever entered, we came out on the other side. Together.  I remember it like it was yesterday…

“My heart, Amelia – I have heart disease,” he had said to me on the phone.  “I’ll just end it, before it kills me.” I was on a plane to LA within an hour.  I knew he needed me.  He didn’t know I was coming.  I rented a car as soon as I got there and drove out to Malibu.  He had given me a key years ago.  As I entered the condo I saw him sitting over by the window in the dark.  I went over to him and he looked up at me confused. 

“Why are you here?” he asked.

“Because you need me,” I said simply “and because I love you, Nick”.  His eyes opened wide.  “We’ll get through this together…”

“You love me?” he asked softly.  “As in love love? When? How?” he stammered.
“How about always,” I replied.  “Since that first day on the beach…”
“I’ve loved you too,” he said pulling me onto his lap.  A deep sigh leaving his body.  “I just didn’t think you’d ever love me…”

“Nickolas,” I said cupping his face in my hands lowering my lips to his.  “What’s not to love…”

As the strains to that melodious song played, we danced, completely lost in each other – our gazes locked, staring into the dark depths of each others’ souls.  “

There’s never been a more perfect lyric in the world,” he said placing his forehead gently against mine as we continued to sway.  “In your eyes, I am complete…” And he was right.  This was only the beginning.“Almost time,” Nick said pulling me towards the dance floor.  As he pulled me into his arm, his love surrounded me.  I looked up into his eyes as the beginning sounds of the song he had spent so long choosing began to play through the speakers.  It took my breath away. It was perfect.  What a perfect comparison to our relationship, our history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v5d3WHVQFY