- Text Size +
The Guardian Crusade

Volume I



Chapter 9



Aj sat in a room. It was small only enough space for a chair in the corner and a table beside it. He hadn’t seen anyone not even Rayne this morning, skipping breakfast to prepare for the announcement and the ceremony. He had been up all night thinking about Marsa, about his time here, about home. With a deep sigh he looked himself over one more time. This robe he didn’t pick out, Avit did. Told him it was his ceremonial robe, with Winnol’s colours and crest on it.



A knock at the door broke him from his thoughts and he turned around. Slowly the door opened and his heart started racing when he saw Avit walk in. The Elvaan was wearing his best armor, it was clean and not a scratch on it, the Winnol crest embedded onto the front. Obviously not something he wore out to a fight,



“Are you ready Sir?” Avit asked with a light bow.



“Yeah.” Aj said as he inhaled deeply. “As ready as I’ll ever be.”



“Are you sure with your decision?” Avit asked him.



“Yes.” Aj said with a nod. Avit nodded to him as there was a knock at the door. Avit opened the door just a little and Aj watched as he talked to someone. A minute later Avit closed the door and turned to Aj.



“We are starting.” Avit told him. Aj’s heart started beating faster. His nerves started making him sweat, and shake a little. He hadn’t been nervous like this in a long time.



Aj heard music starting to play off in the distance and a moment later the door to the room opened. Avit nodded for him to follow and Aj did. As they got closer to the music, Aj saw about twelve guards standing by a door and they all straighten up when they saw Avit. A man went through the door and shortly after that the music stopped. He looked around at the men as they started to get into formation. Then he noticed the music had started again but it was a different song. The doors opened and the soldiers started to walk out. Aj couldn’t see anything to many men in the way.



“You will walk beside me until we approached the stage, then you will walk up yourself and address everyone.” Avit said reminding Aj what they had gone over early this morning. Aj nodded understanding. When Avit turned around Aj got a better view of the room on the other side of the door. It was a large theatre and the music echoed loudly with the acoustics. The soldiers that were standing in the hallway now stood in two rows facing each other.



“Ready Sir?” Avit asked. All Aj could do was nod. Avit lightly smiled as he turned and stood up a little straighter. Aj waited for the music to stop and when it did Avit and him walked out into the theatre. The crowed was a wave of whispers as he walked passed the soldiers. When they approached a section of stairs on the stage Avit stopped and Aj looked at him. The General nodded for Aj to go up the stairs and he did remembering not to fidget and too show strength like Avit told him too.



Aj stopped in the middle of the stage and faced the crowed that was in front of him. Taking a minute to remember the words he was suppose to say he looked around at the crowd. The guys were in the front row to his left, and they looked as confused as he felt. He looked at Nick who had the stupidest look on his face, it almost made Aj laugh and he quickly looked down.



“Ass, he’s going to get beats for that.” Aj thought as he took a deep breath. With a deep exhale Aj looked up to the people of Winnol.



“This morning is a sorrowful day for all of Winnol. Last night we lost our beloved King Marsa Breezewalker.” Aj said as the crowed whimpered and whispered. “I know you all share in my grief and know that Pixca morns with you, for she has lost a true protector.” Aj said as he felt his eyes get a little misty. Taking a deep breath he began to talk again. “I did not know King Marsa that long, but the man I came to know as a person and as a Father was a man of pride, love, and strength. He cared for Winnol and her Elvaans; he cared for Pixcadia and all of her people.” Aj said as he looked to the crowed as everyone looked back at him. “As his only remaining son, I hope I can lead Winnol and protect Pixcadia with the same pride, love and strength as he did.”



The crowed erupted into chatter as he made his announcement that he would take over as King of Winnol. He looked down to Avit, and the General nodded for him to continue, as he took a deep breath he looked back out to the crowed.



“As your new King..” Aj was interrupted.



“You are not King.” A man said from the back and the crowed turned around and looked as they erupted into chatter. Aj looked to the back of the theatre and saw a man in a black hooded cape walk down the isle. Aj quickly looked to Avit when he saw the man was backed up by Johon’s men. Avit was already running up the stairs to stand by Aj’s side.



“Who are you?” Aj asked as the man stopped near the front rows.



“You have no right protesting the throne, you are nothing more than a lackey of Johon, and this is an insult to King Marsa himself!” Avit shouted.



“I am not one of Johon’s lackey’s; I am sure by now you know Johon is dead.” The man said in a strong tone. “I have the right to contest the throne, because this man.” He said as he pointed to Aj. “Is an imposter.”



“An Imposter?” Aj and Avit said confused.



“Marsa only had one true son.” The man said. “One true heir to his throne.” The man stopped as Aj looked to Avit, the General had a very confused look on his face. When Aj looked back to the man in the isle, he pulled his hood back. “Dyn Breezewalker first and only son born to Marsa and Tas Breezewalker.” The crowed erupted into shock as they stood and looked at the Elvaan man that claimed that name.



“Dyn?” Avit said shocked. Aj looked at the General beside him his face was full of confusion and questions. “But you were killed in…in Pomic.” Avit said shocked.



“No.” Dyn said. “I was saved.” He then turned around and everyone, the crowed, Avit, and Aj looked back and saw the Mage coming down the isle. Her face hidden, but Aj knew who it was, who she was. He quickly looked down the first row as he scanned for Rayne. She was sitting beside Nalia on the other side of the guys, staring right at her mom. “This wonderful woman, found me, and nurtured me back to health.”



“You stand with this evil?” Avit said to him angerly.



“Evil? Oh Avit my dear sweet brother in law, she is not evil.” Dyn said with a light laugh. “No, Evil is a Father loving one son more than the other, a son that he only ever saw once.” Dyn said looking at Aj angerly.



“And your sister?” Avit yelled.



“Is dead.” Dyn shouted back. “Crushed by the falling buildings of Pomic, right before my eyes, and he knew, the man I do not call Father, knew the risk of war and still he let them go!” He shouted. “He sent his wife and his daughter...your wife Avit, he sent them to their deaths.” Aj looked at Avit, he had no idea, but now everything Marsa said last night made sense.



“There is a rightful heir to the throne; this man has no rule of it.” Dyn said pointing to Aj.



“He is still Marsa’s son whether you choose to believe it Dyn, Marsa wished him to be King and that is how it will be.” Avit said angerly.



“Then I call a conclave.” Dyn said. “Tomorrow the reigning Kings and Queens will meet, and that throne will be mine.” Dyn turned around and headed back towards the men.



“Arrest them!” Avit shouted and Aj looked at him confused. Avit’s men blocked the entrance and more block the opening to the isle in front of the stage.



“Arrest us?” Dyn said shocked. “On what grounds?”



“Dyn Breezewalker is dead, you sir are the imposter and the company you keep proves you such.” Avit said as he walked up to Dyn. “Impersonation a Royal family member is punishable by death.” Avit then turned around and looked at Aj. “Take them to the Jails.”



Dyn started yelling as he tried to fight the men off. Aj quickly looked at the Mage as two guards approached her but as they reached for her she vanished into thin air. Dyn saw this and started shouting even louder as the realization of him being left here alone hit him. A scream from his left made him and Avit turn around and his heart practically stopped when he saw the Mage holding Rayne. She held Rayne’s arms behind her and held her head back by her hair. Aj started running across the stage.



“Stop!” The Mage shouted as she pulled on Rayne’s hair and she whimpered in pain again. Aj stopped dead with Avit by his side. “Not one more step Alexander or she will become nothing more than an ice statue.” She said sternly as her hand, fingers sparkled in snowflakes. “Let Dyn go.” She said looking straight at Aj, she still remained hidden by the hood, only a few knew who she actually was.



“You let her go.” Aj said back to her. Her hand sparkled brighter and Rayne’s eyes widen as the spell was released.



“No!” Aj shouted as he took a step forward but Avit stopped him. Aj stopped and stared a Rayne, she was ok. She wasn’t frozen, or in pain, and there was a white light glowing around her.

“Bubble.” Aj heard the Mage say as she looked at Rayne. “Paladin!” She screamed as her head snapped to Kevin. Angerly she threw Rayne to the floor and flew at Kevin, grabbing him by his chest plate. Then as Kevin fought back they both disappeared into thin air.



“Where’d she go?” Aj said to Avit as they looked around.



“Any where Sir.” Avit said looking at him. “She could be anywhere.”



Aj closed his eyes and took a deep breath; he pictured the Mage and ready to teleport. But nothing happened, no swoosh, fly, jerk, nothing, he was still on the stage. He looked at Avit confused.



“Why didn’t I go?” Aj said to Avit as he motioned forward. Then he remembered what the Trainer Mage told him at the Magic Fields. “Damn it, she’s somewhere I’ve never been.” He said angerly. “Rayne.” He said to himself as he turned to where she was. He saw Nalia and Nick helping her up and he headed towards her.



“Aj where is he?” Brian said as he followed Aj from below.



“I don’t know.” Aj said back still looking at Rayne.



“Aj.” Brian said with worry. Aj quickly walked down the stairs and right over to Rayne.



“Are you ok?” He asked her as she sat down.



“Yes.” She said with a nod. “Just not sure what happened.”



“Alex!” Brian said grabbing his arm and spinning him around. Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at the two. “Where is Kevin?” Brian said angerly.



“I said I don’t know.” Aj said back defensively. “Relax dude, we’ll find him.” Aj said trying to calm him down.



“When? How? We don’t even know where she took him.” Brian yelled.



“Well freaking out ain’t goin to help!” Aj yelled back at him. The two started into a shouting match, and everyone stood there watching, like watching a car crash.



“Guys!” Howie shouted and they stopped yelling and looked at him. “Calm down both of you, Aj’s right Rok we’ll find Kevin.”



“Why did she freak out on Kevin?” Nick asked as Brian and Aj went to their corners.



“He bubbled Rayne.” Nalia said as everyone looked at her. “It is a Paladin spell, it protects the caster or an ally from any damage, nothing can hurt them, it does not last long, but it lasted long enough.” Nalia said looking at Rayne.



“So Kevin saved her?” Nick asked a little shocked. “Dude’s stealing your mojo.” Nick said as he looked to Aj. He shook his head at Nick, always one with the smart ass remarks.



“Dyn is being escorted to the jails Sir.” Avit said as he walked over to the group.



“Do you think she will be back for him?” Howie asked looking around.



“If not him, she’ll come back for Rayne.” Nick said and Aj shot him a look, along with Nalia.



“What, realism people, look it up.” Nick said rolling his eyes.



“I’m amazed you can even say that word.” Aj said shaking his head.



“Hey.” Nick pouted.



“You know what.” Brian shouted out of no where and everyone looked at him. “You all laugh it up and have a grand ol’ time; I’m going to figure out how to get my cousin back.”



“How?” Aj said as he rolled his head to look at Brian. “How are you going to go get Kevin, do you know where he is?”



“No, but at least I want to find out.” Brian said as he spun back around.



“Whoa and we don’t?” Nick said jumping in on the conversation. “Aj’s right, say you find him then what? How are you going to get there, do you know how to get there?”



“Yeah Rok, we know you’re worried, we are too. But we gotta be smart about it.” Howie said to him.



“Yeah and you know he’d be smacking you upside the head for freaking out.” Nick said nudging him. Brian took a deep breath and sighed.



“Fine.” He said but he didn’t look at anyone.



“Speaking of smacks up side the head.” Aj said turning to Nick and then whacking him on the side of his head.



“Owe, what the hell was that for?” Nick squeeled.



“Hey.” Brian said as he smacked Nick for saying hell.



“Owe, damn it what is going on!?” Nick yelped as he turned to Brian and grabbed his arm that was now stinging.



“Mine was for the faces earlier.” Aj said as Nick looked to him.



“Oh yeah.” Nick said as the pain expression turned to laughter. “Well if I’m getting smacked then you should get some too.” Nick said to him.



“Me? What did I do?” Aj asked confused.



“Hello.. King!?” Nick said with a squeal.



“Hey Yeah.” Brian said pointing at Aj. “What’s up with that, you’re not staying.” Brian said looking at him.



“Brian, I’m not getting into this with you, at least not without Kevin here to back me up.” Aj added quickly.



“You think Kevin’s going to back you up being King? Staying here? Leaving everyone behind, your nuts, the magic is getting to your head.” Brian said angerly. “I can’t take anymore of this, when we go to find Kevin I’ll be in the room.” Brian said and with that he walked away. Aj rolled his eyes at Brian, knowing he was just over reacting and he needed time to chill. He looked over to Rayne; she was still sitting in the chair looking down at the ground.



“Hey.” He heard Nick say as he felt a nudge on his arm. Aj turned his head and looked at him confused. “Are you really staying?”



“Yeah.” Aj said with a nod. “After the Priest told us about Marsa I went for a walk, thought about a lot off stuff and came to a decision.”



“Which was?” Howie asked as Aj looked at him.



“People would miss me at home yeah, and I’d miss them, but they would be ok, they would move on with their lives.” Aj told them. “But if I leave here, I don’t think the people here would get the same luxury.” He said with a light shrug. “There would be no one to take the throne, and they need someone now.”



”Well what about this new dude, Dyn, seems like he wants the job.” Nick said as Aj looked at him.



“Umm, that’s like handing over the Millennium Falcon to Jaba, no way.” Aj said looking at Nick.



“Wow dude.” Nick said in a little awe. “I dunno what to say, do you really think that dude is Marsa’s son?” Nick asked.



“Dunno.” Aj shrugged.



“Yes he is.” Avit said as Aj looked at him. “I know Dyn, and that is indeed him.”



“Then why did you arrest him?” Howie asked confused.



“Buy us some time.” Aj said as Avit looked at him.



“Yes.” Avit nodded. “If he does call a Conclave then the Kings and Queens will be called, which means King Rossi.” Avit said.



“Well Rossi will never vote him in.” Nick scoffed.



“So what about the other countries the ones Johon has, or had?” Howie said a little confused.



“My Mother.” Rayne said and everyone spun around and looked at her. “The evil that is controlling her, she can lay claim to Sarila, as Queen Halian and fight me for it, if she chooses to do so.” Rayne said sadly.



“So Nalia will get back Kalica and it would be two against one.” Nick said with a light smile.



“No.” Nalia said quietly. Everyone looked at Nalia and then to Rayne.



“Mother has claim over Kalica, it was Johon’s, and she can claim it as her in his death.” Rayne said as she looked away.



“Damn.” Nick sighed.



“I need to go check on Dyn perhaps I can get some answers.” Avit said to Aj. Aj nodded and watched as Avit headed out of the theatre.



“We’re going to go check on Brian; we’ll meet up at lunch?” Nick said as Howie, Nalia and him stood in front of Aj.



“Cool.” Aj nodded. They said goodbye and headed to the side doors where Aj had first come in.



Aj in haled deeply as he looked around, he knew it was going to be a weird morning, but he didn’t think it would be this weird. The theatre was quiet with everyone gone and no music playing, he could almost hear himself breathing.



“Alex?” Rayne said from beside him. He looked over to her; she was standing by the chair. He noticed she looked a little shaken up and he turned to her. “You..” She stopped, he’s not sure why. “You are staying?” she asked. He lightly smiled and nodded at her. She took a step forward and then quickly walked up to him, almost throwing herself into his arms. He lightly laughed as he wrapped his arms around her.



“I wanted to tell you this morning but everything was crazy I never got a chance to see you.” Aj said as he held her.



“I was a little confused when I woke up this morning; I thought I was sleeping in the chair in the hall.” She said as she pulled away a little.



“You were, but after the Priest came out and told us about Marsa, I carried you back to your room.” Aj said as he looked down at her. She lightly smiled as he slowly leaned in and kissed her. He kept his eyes closed for a second as they pulled away.



“Are you sure?” She asked as he looked at her.



“Yes.” He nodded. “Now, we should go find Kevin before Brian lays an egg.” He said as he took her hand. She started laughing as they headed to the door at the side of the theatre.









Kevin grunted in pain as he slammed into a shelf on the wall. His eye hurt his lip was swollen and his mouth tasted like blood. His head was pounding and he wasn’t sure if he was cut open. As a sharp pain ripped through his body and head, the Mage picked him up and he groaned. She stood him up and slammed him back into the wall.



“You want to be brave?” She hissed at him. Again he felt her pull on him, he felt him fly across the room and he came crashing down, smashing the table under him. He tried to sit up but the pain made his head spin. Laying back down he tried to open his eyes, and when he did he saw the Mage standing over top of him. “You want to play hero?” She said as she grabbed him by the hair. The Mage pulled Kevin close to her, his eye rolling back, he could barely see her. “Then you will die a hero.” She pulled her hand back. Kevin tried with all his might to muster up another bubble spell but he didn’t have enough strength. Then he heard a slamming noise and he fell to the floor. A flash of pain ripped through him when he hit the ground; slowly he rolled over and tried to find the Mage. He looked up towards where he thought the doors were and saw her talking to someone; the voices were mumbled by the pounding in his head. He couldn’t make out who the other person was, he could barely make out who the Mage was his vision was doubled and woozy. Rolling back over, he moaned as he reached for his head. When he heard footsteps coming towards him he forced opened his eyes and saw the Mage standing over him again.



“You are lucky Paladin, seems someone thinks you are more valuable to us alive at this moment.” She said as she looked down at him. “Guards!” She shouted as she stood up. “Take him to my daughter’s room; he might as well get to know the woman he is going to die for.” She stepped back as she spoke and then Kevin felt two people grab his arms and pull him up. The pain was too much, coming at him from every place on his body, his head pounded and then nothing as he passed out in the arms of the guards.



When the pounding started again he moaned more out of frustration than pain, the calm didn’t last long enough. As his thoughts slowly broke through the pain he opened his eyes and looked around. He was on the wood floor and he looked up at the large arch shaped windows. Slowly as he sat up and his vision became clearer, he looked around the room. A large canapé bed was on his left and he reached for the edge pulling himself up slowly.



Kevin winced in pain as he turned around and sat down on the bed. He took a deep breath and gasped as his ribs ached. As he slowed his breathing to lessen the pain he looked up and saw himself staring back at him. His eye was starting to go black and his lip was all puffy. Everything was starting to come in clear but his head was still throbbing. He looked from the mirror to the dresser and saw a necklace sparkling off the sunlight. Slowly he got up and walked over to it, picking it up and looking at it. He stared at it for a moment; he swore the inside of the stone was moving. He figured it was Rayne’s and she might want it back, so he tucked the necklace away safely behind his breast plate. Carefully he made his way back over to the bed. The clock chimed one and Kevin looked out the window.



“Alright Mclean, you got an hour.” He said with a sarcastic smile. It made him laugh a little but also wince in pain. Slowly he pulled himself back onto the bed and gently laid down, relaxing, hoping for some more sleep, to make his headache go away.











Aj stretched out as a yawn slowly woke him from his deep sleep. Sluggishly he opened his eyes and sat up. Looking around he remembered he was in his room and on the couch. He had fallen asleep before lunch. Avit was sending some Riders to go to Sarila and do some recon. Rubbing his eyes he yawned one more time and stretched. Standing up he fixed his robe and walked over to his window. He pulled back the curtains and opened the windows slightly, looking out. The sun was coming down and there were still people out on the streets. He wondered what time it was, so he closed the window and turned around. Walking over to the opposite side of his bed he looked at the small clock on the night stand. He was shocked to see it was three in the afternoon.



“We know where he is” Brian said as his bedroom door flew open and Aj spun around.



“Come in?” Aj said as he watched Nick, Brian and Howie walk into his room.



“I told him to knock.” Nick said as he jumped on Aj’s couch laying down.



“Dude.” Aj said pointing to his couch.



“Hey hello?” Brian said waving at them. “The Riders said that there is mass activity in and around the castle, they dropped off some spies and will report more in a couple of more hours.”



“Are we seriously going to wait that long?” Nick asked.



“Oh so now you wanna go.” Brian said looking at him.



“Shut up.” Nick said rolling his eyes. “Why don’t we do what Rayne was going to do?” Nick asked as he looked at Aj.



“Which was?” Howie asked.



“The Globe!” Aj said snapping his fingers.



“Yeah, and your girlfriend has the key.” Nick said with a crooked smile.



“She’s not his girlfriend.” Howie said rolling his eyes. “Is she?” He asked quickly looking at her.



“Well…I..” Aj sputtered his words.



“Yeah see told ya.” Nick said standing up. “So, let’s go get Rayne and Nalia and let’s go get Kev.” Nick said as he looked around.



“Just us?” Brian asked.



“Oh, now you’re chickening out?” Nick asked sarcastically. Brian shook his head clearly annoyed with Nick but it was a brotherly annoyance and soon forgotten.



“We need a plan?” Howie said as the guys walked down the hallway towards Rayne’s room. Well all but Nick, he went to go get Nalia.



“Go in, kick ass, get Kevin, leave.” Aj said nodding.



“Good plan.” Brian said with a nod.



“Why thank you.” Aj said with a nod.



“Wish it was that easy.” Howie said rolling his eyes.



“Well, anyone of you good at Risk?” Aj asked. “Strategy planning.”



“We’re going to get Kevin, not invade a country.” Brian said lightly smacking him on the arm.



“Fine smart ass, what do you suggest.” Aj said looking at Brian as they stopped at Rayne’s door.



“We need to be sneaky.” Brian said thinking. Aj rolled his eyes a little. Well duh they had to be sneaky; they weren’t going to just walk up to the front door. He knocked on Rayne’s bedroom door as he looked back to Brian.



“Would they be holding him in the jails?” Brian asked as he looked to Aj.



“Dunno.” Aj said with a shrug.



“They might want to keep him close by though, because they could be expecting us to come get him.” Brian said. Aj turned to the door again as Brian went on about using that to their advantage, when her door opened.



“Hello.” Rayne said as she smiled when she saw him. “Have a good nap?” She asked.



“Nick says you can turn on the globe.” Brian said as she looked at him a little stunned.



“Pardon?” She said.



“Nick and Aj.” Brian said pointing to Aj. “They said you have a key to the globe, the globe that will take us to where Kevin is.”



“You know where he is?” She asked and Aj saw some relief on her face.



“Yeah.” Aj nodded. “Look’s like he’s in Drisel.”



“Oh.” She said the thought of her home made her a little sad.



“So, you have the key right?” Brian asked again.



“Brian chill out.” Aj said a little annoyed.



“Yes, I have the key.” Rayne said confused. “What is going on?” She asked looking at Aj. Aj told her what the Riders had reported to Avit, and about how they got the idea to use to globe to go get him, instead of waiting.



“We don’t know our way around the Castle so we need you to come.” Aj said as he looked at her.



“Of course.” She said nodding. “When are we going?”



“As soon as Nick and Nalia get here.” Aj said as she turned around. He watched as she walked over to a dresser and pulled something from it. She then walked over and grabbed her robe and bag, then headed back towards them.



“You should tell Avit where you are going.” Rayne said as she closed her door.



“Yeah I will as soon as we’re ready to go.” He said with a nod.



They walked down the hall and waited at the top of the stairs. They discussed places they could be keeping Kevin and Rayne went over a quick run through on the different sections of the Palace.



“Ok ready.” Nick said as him and Nalia approached them.



“Alright let’s go tell Avit we’re going and then we’ll leave.” Aj said as they all headed down the stairs.



They walked behind the staircase and Aj opened the doors to the meeting room. When he walked in he saw Avit and Rossi talking. They both looked up when they saw the six walk in.



“Is everything alright Sir?” Avit asked as Aj stopped at the desk.



“We’re going to go get Kevin.” Aj told him.



“Now?” Avit asked.



“Yes.” Rayne nodded. “We will take the globe.”



“The six of you against Johon’s army?” Rossi scoffed.



“We have Aj.” Nick said. “He took out a huge chunk of his army last time.”



“Avit, we’re going, I came to let you know so you can have guards at the globe to watch it.” Aj said as he looked at the General. Avit looked at Rossi and then sighed.



“You can not be bloody well serious Avit.” Rossi said as he looked at him.



“Be careful Alexander.” Avit said looking at him with worry.



“We’ll be fine.” Aj said nodding to him. “Ok.” He said turning to his friends. “Let’s go.”