- Text Size +

                                    The Guardian Crusade

                              Volume I

 

                                                            Chapter 18

 

Aj stood at the large fire as he watched the flames dance around.  He looked up as the sparks of light drifted up to the sky, twirling around the smoke that the guided them.  It was only him and Avit standing by the fire, in the Ceremonial garden, where the remains of Adamai were finally at peace.

 

“Reports are coming in that Ignis’s army is breaking all around.” Avit said.  “They are realizing they have been lied to and mislead.”

 

“Well that helps.” Aj said with a sigh. 

 

“Any word on Rayne?” Avit asked as Aj looked at him.  Aj frowned a little and then shook his head.

 

“She’s still out. The Priests have been trying to wake her but nothing, so now they say it’s best if she just rests, until she is ready to wake up.”  Aj said remembering the conversation he had with the Priests. “They were moving her from the Springs to her room when I left to come here.”

 

“What she did, I have never seen a Druid, Elvaan or Human do that.” Avit said a little breathless.  Aj didn’t know what to say, not that he could. If Avit had never seen a spell like that he sure as hell hasn’t.

 

“There you are.” Brian said from behind them and they both turned around.

 

“What’s up?” Aj asked when he saw the look on Brian’s face.  “Is it Rayne is she awake?”

 

“Yes, I mean no, she’s not awake but.” Brian stopped.

 

“But what dude.” Aj said looking at him.

 

“That Druid Council, they have their guards around her room, there’re not letting anyone in to see her.” Brain explained.

 

“What why?” Aj asked confused as he started to leave the ceremonial area.

 

“I dunno, they said something about what she did to Nick.” Brian said shrugging as him and Avit followed behind Aj. 

 

The three quickly walked through the city, Aj was too concerned with Rayne to bow and nod back to the people as they greeted him. His pace began to quicken as they reached the Tree Castle doors.  The guards opened them and the three walked into the front hallway.  Many people were gathered at the bottom of the stairs whispering to each other.  When they saw Aj, they stopped talking and looked at him.  They separated and let Him, Brian and Avit through as they headed up the stairs.  Aj walked down the hall and saw three guards standing outside of Rayne’s room. 

 

Their armor was different from the armor Avit and Winnol’s army wore.  They looked like giant birds.  They had helmets that looked like an eagle’s head, shoulder pauldron’s that had large colourful feathers dressing them.  Their chest piece was a solid metal but it too had feathers adoring it.

 

“Excuse me” Aj said to one of the guards that stood in his way.

 

“I am sorry Sir I can not let you in.” The guard said.

 

“Move now Kelthis.” Avit said with slight anger.

 

“I can not, Elder Rexil’s orders.” The guard said to Avit.

 

“So.” Aj said looking at him.  “I’m King, I out rule her.”

 

“A human King.” The other guard scoffed.

 

“I would watch your tongue.” Avit shot at him.

 

“Screw this.” Aj said as he broke pass the guards and pushed on the doors.  He felt the guards grab at him, he heard Avit yell at them, but he was able to get into the room none the less.

 

“What is the meaning of this?” Rexil said as the guards stopped grabbing at Aj and Avit walked up beside him.

 

“Get out of her room now, and take your damn guards with you.” Aj said to her angrily.

 

“I am sorry your Highness but.” Aj interrupted her.

 

“But nothing, get out of her room now!” Aj said this time yelling.

 

“She has broken the law of the Druid, she has attacked someone’s Life Aura.” Elder Rexil said almost yelling back at him.

 

“Life Aura?” Aj asked confused.

 

“See.” The Elder said with a laugh.  “You are human, so I will let this pass, but Avit should have told you.  You may be King, but I am the Elder, I do not meddle in your affairs and you do not meddle in mine.  Your law may be word for these people, but my law is word for her.” The Elder said pointing to Rayne.  “And she will answer for breaking it.”

 

“But she did it because the Evil, I mean Ignis was possessing Nick.” Aj said still stunned.

 

“That will be brought up at her trial.” Aj interrupted her.

 

“Trial?!” Aj said shocked.  “What Trial?”

 

“She will face her fellow Druids, and we will decide what her fate shall be.” Elder Rexil told him. “Until then she must remain in our custody.”

 

“And if I refuse?” Aj asked staring at the Elder.  She looked at him shocked and then a little bit of anger came over her face. 

 

“They tell me you’re Elvaan but all I see is a Human and now I know it to be so, because an Elvaan could never love a Human like you love her.” The Elder said not breaking eye contact.

 

“Adamai loved Rayxes” Avit jumped in.

 

The Elder looked at Avit annoyed but did not say anything.  Aj could tell she was not adjusting to the new memory that there was another Human Druid, even if it was hundreds of years ago. 

 

“She can stay here, two guards outside and one in here.” The Elder said. 

 

“And me, and Nalia, and my friends and Avit.” Aj said to her sternly.  She looked at him in frustration. 

 

“Very well.” She said with a frustrated sigh.  Elder Rexil turned around and nodded for the rest of her guards to follow, when the door closed her turned to Avit.

 

“What the hell, her law, why didn’t you tell me the Druids had all this power.” Aj said and for the first time showing anger towards Avit.

 

“I am sorry Sir, I just did not think she would do something like this and we had so much to do, so much happened, I just thought it would be something to talk about later.” Avit said calmly.  “The Druids are Pixca’s Warriors, they guard everything she has created, even Kings and Queens.” Aj looked angrily at the Druid guard who stood by the fire place.  He turned his head and looked to Rayne lying on the bed.  She had been changed into her nightgown; the blood had been washed from her face and hair, a large bandage over the temple area of her head.

 

“Can you stay here, I need some air.” Aj said as he looked back to Avit.

 

“Of Course Sir” Avit said with a nod. 

 

Aj tried to smile but nothing much happened, he walked over to the door, shooting one last glare at the guard at the fireplace.  He opened her bedroom door and walked out into the hallway.  Aj stopped dead when he heard the Druid guards mumble. He slowly turned around and looked at them.

 

“You talk shit about me because I’m Human, cause I’m rude, yet here are two guards of a council who has more power than me acting like fourteen year old school girls.  Yeah, hate me because I’m Human.”  He snapped at them as he looked away and headed down the hall.  “Assholes.” He mumbled as he turned the corner and walked down the stairs.

 

“Alex?” Someone said from behind him.

 

“What? Fuck.” Aj said spinning around.  He stopped dead when he saw Rayne’s mom standing behind him.  “Oh, oh um, I am so sorry.” Aj said as his face dropped and he looked at her.

 

“What is going on with Rayne?” She asked.

 

“The Druid Council, that Elder Lady, she says when Rayne helped Nick, what she did was wrong, it was breaking some kind of Druid law.” Aj said still trying to understand it himself.

 

“Rexil.”  Halian sighed.

 

“You know her, oh right, yeah, of course you do.” Aj said with a light smile.

 

“Yes, unfortunately I do.” Halian said too him, and the tone in her voice actually made Aj relax a little.  “Rexil never liked Rayne, she was a Human Druid which was on heard of, until now, I suppose. She had always given Adop and I a hard time when we had interviews with her.”

 

“So Rayne went to school here?” Aj asked.

 

“For a while, yes.” She nodded.  “At first they did not want to take her.  Imagine that, Guardian and all.” Halian said as she lightly raised her eyebrow.

 

“What changed their mind?”  Aj asked

 

“Not what, who.” She lightly smiled.  Aj looked at her confused.  “Marsa” She said.  “He talked to her, Elder Rexil, I never knew what he said to her but she agreed to it.”

 

“Marsa was a very convincing person.” Aj said with a smile. Halian lightly smiled back at him and nodded.

 

“When she got older, she became tired of the way a lot of the Elvaans treated her and she wanted to leave. Rexil wanting her to as well agreed to send a tutor to stay in Drisel to school her.”  Halian said remembering.  “They are very proud people and I am sure right now they are a little upset over this new memory that has come to light.  It was hard enough for them to accept her, now they must accept another, along with a King who looks Human.”

 

“You think that’s why Elder Rexil did what she did?” Aj asked.

 

“Possibly.”  Halian said with a shrug.  “Although I do not know what Rayne did, her spell, I have never heard of it before, but they seem to know.”

 

“Avit said he had never heard of it either.”  Aj said as he remembered what Avit said to him.  “Rexil, she said she attacked someone’s Life Aura?”

 

“Life Aura” Halian said confused.  “I remember in one of her trials she was to learn how to see someone or some beings life Aura, it’s the colour your energy gives off.  Druids of course attached to nature and life can see this.”

 

“Cool” Aj said a little in awe.

 

“Each Animal and Humanoid has its own colour.” She told him.  “Elvaans are Yellow, Dwarfs are Green, Humans are Blue, and there are many colours and variations depending on the species.”

 

“You know a lot about the Druids.”

 

“When Rayne came back from Winnol she did not have anyone to talk to about her talent, Adop was busy with the Kingdom, and well, it is a Mothers duty.” She said with a light smile.  Aj lightly laughed.

 

“How are you feeling?” He asked.

 

“Better, thank you.” She said with a nod.  “How are you? You seemed upset.”

 

“Yeah, I’m sorry about that.” Aj said frowning again.  “I had just finished talking to Elder Rexil, needed some air, and I thought you were one of my friends.  I wasn’t really paying attention to who was calling my name.” 

 

“It is alright, I understand your frustration.” Halian said with a light smile. 

 

“The whole time I’ve been here everyone has said ‘you may look Human but you’re not, you’re Elvaan’ and now she shows up saying otherwise.”  Aj sighed.

 

“What has Rayne told you?” Halian asked.  Aj looked at her for a moment and then answered.

 

“Please tell me they let you see her?”  Aj said looking at her.

 

“No, Rexil told me they could not let anyone see her until they questioned her.” Halian said.  Aj was quickly filled with anger again.  “What is it?” Halian said when she saw the look on Aj’s face.

 

“We’re not sure when she’s going to wake up; she hit her head pretty hard.”  Aj said trying to stay calm.

 

“I see.” Halian replied.

 

“I’ll take you to see her.” Aj said as he motioned for her to go with him.  “Did they tell you what happened?”

 

“Nalia did yes, after I left the Springs that is when I went to try and go see her but by then Rexil and her guards were there.” She told him as they walked up the stairs.  “Have the Priests tried?”

“Yes, they said it’s best to wait, let her wake when she’s ready.” Aj said as they reached the top. 

 

Yeah that pretty much did it for him.  He did not like this Rexil person one bit and as King he was starting to feel like he should do something about it.  They walked down the hall and Aj saw the two guards standing outside of the door.  As they approach Rayne’s doors Aj looked at them both, just waiting for one of them to say something.  They said nothing as he opened the door and let Halian inside.  He walked in and closed the doors firmly behind him.  Aj looked over at the fire place and the other guard was still standing there.

 

As Halian went over to Rayne’s bed, Avit walked over to Aj.  “They wouldn’t even let her in.” Aj said looking at him.

 

“She was never like this with Marsa.” Avit said with a sigh.

 

“Because he was Elvaan.” Aj said looking to Rayne’s bed.

 

“But you are Elvaan.”  Avit said shaking his head. 

 

“I guess my Aura says other wise.” He said sarcastically.

 

The door behind them opened and Aj turned around wondering who would be next.  “Those are some freaky guards.” Brian said as he walked in.  Aj nodded over to the fire place and Brian looked over.  He jumped a little when he saw the guard standing there.

 

“What’s up dude?” Aj asked with a light laugh.

 

“Nick wants to talk to you.” Brian said.

 

“Oh snap.” Aj said snapping his fingers.  “All this Rayne and Druid crap, I almost forgot about him, how is he?”

 

“Huh?” Brian said confused about the Rayne comment. “He’s pretty quiet, not really talking much but he told Kevin he wanted to see you, so big man sent me to get you.” Brian said looking at Rayne.  “What about her?”

 

“Dunno.” Aj said looking back quickly.  He then looked at Avit.  “I’ll be in Nick’s room if you need me.”

 

“Alright.” Avit said with a nod.  Aj looked at Brian and then they both headed out of the doors and this time Aj didn’t even give the guards any notice.  They walked down to the guy’s room and opened the door.  When Aj walked in he saw Howie and Kevin sitting on the couches.  He looked over to Nick’s bed and saw him sitting up against the back, Nalia sitting on the bed beside him.  He looked back over to Howie and Kevin as they got up and walked over to him.

 

“What’s up?” Aj asked Kevin.

 

“He wants to talk to you, I think he remembers.” Kevin said with a small frown.  Aj nodded as his friends left the room.  He looked over to Nick as Nalia walked by and he gave her a light smile but her face just showed concern.  When the doors closed he looked back at Nick.

 

“How’s the head?” Aj asked as he stood near the middle of the room.

 

“It hurts.” Nick said quietly.

 

“You know all that stuff you did wasn’t your fault.” Aj said as he pulled out a chair and sat down.

 

“That’s what they keep telling me.” Nick sighed.  “But I should have been able to do something, and I couldn’t, I couldn’t do anything.”

 

“Rayne’s mom said the same thing.” Aj said to him.  “You couldn’t do anything because you had no control; it was Ignis controlling you, using you and your memories.”

 

“How is she doing?” Nick asked as he looked at Aj.

 

“I guess she’s ok, we don’t know when she’ll wake up though.” He said as it started to sink in.

 

“Nalia said she hit her head?”

 

“Yeah, when she had pulled Ignis away from you, he pushed her to the ground, I didn’t know what happened until Ignis took off and we checked on you.” Aj said as he felt his eyes begin to water and he fought them back.

 

“Alex that memory I showed her.” Nick said but stopped.

 

“You.” Aj said looking at him, making eye contact with him.  “Didn’t show her anything, it was Ignis, and it was something she had to know about anyways.”

 

“But not that way” Nick said and Aj saw him start to cry a little, fighting it. “You should have been able to tell her, she should have heard it from you.”

 

“I know dude and trust me I wish that too, but what happened, happened, alright.” Aj said looking at him.  “You had no control over anything, it’s not your fault, I know that and she knows that.”  Nick looked up at him and a small smile cracked from his lips.  “Seriously dude, don’t beat yourself up over this, we still need to take care of Ignis, so take it out on him.”

 

“Now that I can certainly do.” Nick said with a nod.  He smiled back at his friend with a light laugh.  A small noise made Aj look around the room confused.  “Damn, didn’t that dude eat at all?” Nick asked.  Aj looked over to him and saw Nick rubbing his stomach.

 

“I thought it sounded familiar.” Aj said rolling his eyes.  “I’ll send some food up for you.”

 

“Nice.” Nick said with a nod. 

 

“Have you talked to Nalia?” Aj asked.

 

“No, Kevin’s been on me like glue.” Nick said rolling his eyes a little.  “Brian too.”

 

“Oh man dude, I wanted to deck the fucker.” Aj said sighing.

 

“Why?” Nick said looking at him.  Aj told him what happened back at the cottage, what Brian had said in front of Rayne.  “What did she say?”

 

“Well I had to talk to her about what Ignis had shown her.” Aj said making sure Nick knew he was talking about Ignis and not him.  “And she asked what Brian had meant.”

 

“Oh to be a fly on the wall.” Nick said with a sarcastic smile.

 

“Yeah well bite me.” Aj said with a light laugh.  “He was on my ass and her ass the whole time dude, I swear, he even shoved her when Rayne had the tree on you.”

 

“She did that!” Nick squealed a little.  “Dude that thing fuckin hurt, it had like, a death grip and its bark was poking me in some not so friendly places.”  Aj lightly laughed at his friend.  “Good to know he cares.” Nick sighed. Aj started laughing a little harder.

 

“Glad to see you’re laughing.” Aj said as he stood up.  Nick lightly shrugged. “Want me to send in Nalia?”

 

“Yeah.” Nick said as he sat up a little.

 

“Remember she’s not one of us; don’t raze her about stabbing you.” Aj said with a light smile.

 

            “Oh I will, I’ll just wait a couple of weeks.” Nick said with a light smile.

 

            “You’re an ass.” Aj said with a laugh as he walked over to the door.  He stopped when he grabbed the knob and turned back to Nick.  “Glad you’re back man.”

 

“Me too.” Nick nodded.  Aj laughed again and then opened the door and walked out.

 

“Is he ok?” Nalia asked before Brian.

 

“I think he’ll be ok, but he wants to talk to you now, alone.” Aj said looking at Nalia and then to Brian.

 

“Alright.” Nalia said with a nod and then walked over to Nick’s bedroom doors.

 

“Is he really ok?” Kevin asked.

 

“I think so; he just needed to be told it wasn’t his fault ya know?”

 

“We did.” Brian said sighing.

 

“From someone he hurt.” Kevin said looking at his cousin. 

 

“Well I need to go see Rayne.” Aj sighed.

 

“What’s with the guards and all that?” Kevin asked.

 

“Long story, I’ll tell you tomorrow.” Aj said waving Kevin off as he walked passed him.  He walked over to her bedroom door.  He ignored the guards and pushed on them walking into her room.  Without wasting a step he walked over to the guard by the fire place.

 

“You don’t need to be here while I sleep.” Aj said looking at him.

 

“I was told.”

 

“I do not care what you were told, I am King, this is my Palace, and she.” Aj said pointing to Rayne.  “Is a Guardian, I am a Guardian and you or Elder Rexil do not want to push me.  Now leave this room and park outside with your friends.”

 

The guard looked back at him and Aj could tell he wanted to fight him on it.  But he said nothing as he gritted his teeth and headed to the doors.  He opened them and walked out, Aj heard the guards asking questions as the door closed.  He walked over to them and locked it, making sure the two outside didn’t come in to find out what was going on.

 

“Well done Sir.” Avit said with a light nod.

 

“I’m trying to save this freakin place and she’s hassling me over stupid shit.” Aj said walking over to Avit.

 

“I will have guards set up across the hall to make sure you are not disturbed.” Avit said as he stood up.  “The Druids have never abused their power like this before, always letting the Kings rule.”

 

“Yeah well we know why she’s doing this.” Aj said looking at Rayne.  “And I’m not standing for it anymore.  I want to meet with these other Druids tomorrow.”

 

“Very well Sir.” Avit said with a nod as they approached the door.  “I am sorry about this.”

 

“It’s ok Avit, like you said you didn’t know.” Aj said with a light smile.  Avit smiled back and then unlocked the door.  Aj reached for it and closed it over as Avit walked out to the guards protest over Rayne being alone in the room.  He sighed when he heard the click of the lock and turned leaning back against the door.  Closing his eyes he let the silence seep into his ears, no shouting, no fighting, no Ignis, no water, and no ghosts.  He rolled his head to the left and looked at Rayne as she lied in her bed.

 

He pushed himself off the door and slowly walked over to her.  “What did you get yourself into?” He asked her, even though he knew she wouldn’t respond.  His eyes stared at her for a moment and then he reached up and pulled on the rope that held a curtain.  It fell over and blocked her face.  He walked around the bed and drew all the curtains around the bed. 

 

Aj made his way over to the bathroom and turned on the faucet in the sink filling it up with steaming water.  He put the cloth in and then undid his robe and shirt, letting them drop off him to the floor.  Reaching into the sink he pulled out the heavy soaked cloth and ringed it out.  Placing it on the back of his neck, he closed his eyes as the hot cloth relaxed his tense neck muscles.

 

With his eyes closed, his headache easing, his body relaxing, his mind went back to Rayne.  If he had been back home he would have freaked because she hit her head so hard but he was here with all this magic so why wouldn’t she be ok.  Then the Priests couldn’t wake her in the Springs and now they told him to wait, and let her wake when she’s ready.  If Aj didn’t know any better she was in a coma.  Maybe she was, Magic didn’t always work, he remembered being told that when he first came here. 

 

He dropped the cloth back into the water and soaked it again.  Pulling it out he grabbed it and twisted it, letting the water fall from it.  Placing the cloth on his neck again he rested his hands on the side of the stone sink and lowered his head.  He looked over at the bed, the drapes closed, he thought about that.  Her laying there in a coma, the one that accepted him before anyone else, the one who made him open his eyes and see this place for what it was, and the one that made him feel like a person again was lying there helpless.  Nothing he could do could help her, no spell, no medicine, nothing.  The emotion over whelmed him and as he gasped lightly for air he began to cry.  He pulled the cloth from his neck and dropped it into the sink as he slowly backed away from it.  When his back hit the stone pillar he slowly slid down the wall trying to stop his tears.  Bringing his knees up, he rested his elbows on his legs and laid his forehead on his fists.  He tried to calm himself but it was like a dam breaking.  With his eyes closed his lashes soaked, he laid his head back against the stone pillar and then looked up.  He wasn’t sure why his God wasn’t here and he didn’t have any clue about this one.  He just wanted her to wake up, to be here with him, beside him.

 

Aj looked over to the bed and waited but nothing happened.  No sound or movement and he couldn’t help but laugh at himself for even thinking it.  He closed his eyes again and took a deep breath before standing up and walking back over to the sink.

 

After he cleaned up his mess he went back into the room and changed for bed.  He walked over to his side and pulled back curtain.  Carefully he pulled back the blankets and crawled in beside Rayne.  He laid on his side and slipped his fingers around hers.  Laying his head on his arm, he looked at her, watching her.  She looked peaceful like she did all those nights he would watch her sleep.  His eyes didn’t move from her face and soon they closed over as he fell asleep.