- Text Size +
The Guardian Crusade

Volume I



Chapter 6



Aj laid down on the cloth stretcher as they helped him down from the Gryphon. By the time they started flying it wasn’t his head that was just hurting, it was every piece of him. He winced in pain a little as they picked him up and carried him down the tower. His eyes would flutter close as he felt himself wanting to sleep more and more. He heard some shouting and some commotion and his eyes slowly opened again.



“Alex are you ok man?” Kevin asked as Aj looked up and saw him, Brian, and Howie gathering around him.



“I’m fine just tired.” Aj said waving his hand a little.



“What the hell happened?” Kevin asked as he turned to Nick.



“Seriously Kevin I’m fine.” Aj said trying to calm him.



“You don’t look it.” Kevin said pointing to the stretcher.



“Well I am ok, so chill the fuck out!” Aj shouted back, and then he laid his head back and moaned as it throbbed.



“Dude, seriously, just let him rest, he’s fine.” Aj heard Nick say as they began to carry him again.



“Alexander.” Marsa said and Aj looked up, he saw the worry on the Elvaan’s face.



“I’m fine really, just tired.” Aj said with a sigh.



“What happened?” Marsa asked Avit as they followed.



Avit explained to them what had happened, the attack on the camp after they had arrived, Rem taking Nalia, and Nick going after her. This got some not so friendly looks from Kevin. Avit explained about what Aj, Nick and Nalia found at the camp, him sending the Rider back to relay the message. He told them about attacking the camp when they saw the Mage, and Rem pulling Rayne from the tent. Avit then told them what happened next, Rayne attacking Rem with her Nature spell. Then what the Mage did to her.



“What happened?” Marsa asked as he looked back to Nalia and Rayne as they came through the Healing Springs entrance.



“Alexander.” Avit said and Marsa looked at him, so did Kevin and the other guys. “Next thing I know, my men and I are holding on to anything we could so we did not become victims to his spell.”



“What spell?” Marsa asked looking around.



“Tohil.” Avit said as Marsa’s eyes went wide in shock.



“The Ancient wind spell, Avit are you sure?” Marsa said in disbelief.



“Very sir, like I told you, we could barely hold on.” Avit said to him. “When Nickolas rescued Rayne we left the spell area, then everything got sucked out of the forest with the spell.”



“What’s going on, I thought that’s what Mages did, cast spells, like weather spells and stuff like that.” Howie said looking around confused.



“Tohil is an Ancient word for Hurricane.” Kevin said looking to the guys.



“Dude?” Nick said looking at him confused.



“What, you’re the only one that can have useless information?’ Kevin scoffed at him sarcastically.



“Well I can tell you, that spell was pretty damn close to a Hurricane.” Nick said with a nod.



“So what’s the big deal about Aj casting it?” Brian asked still confused.



“Tohil is one of the Ancient mage spells; no one casts them anymore, because no one can, they are to strong, take up to much energy.” Marsa said as the guys looked around at each other.



“So you’re saying that Aj, our Aj cast a spell that no one has been able to do in like what?” Kevin said looking to Marsa shocked and a little confused.



“Hundreds of years, there is no record that I know of, of anyone using them in that span of time.” Marsa said. “The only reason we know about it, is because the Mages are well, very good at book keeping.”



“But how?” Kevin asked confused.



“He is one of the four Guardians; it is no surprise the power they can set forth.” Marsa said. “They are a mystery to us, all we know is they are here to protect us on behalf of Pixca, we follow only her word when it comes to them, and her word does not say the magnitude of their power.”



“But he’s just Aj.” Kevin said looking at Marsa.



“On Earth yes he is. But here in Pixcadia, he is a Guardian.” Marsa said as he placed his hand on Kevin’s shoulder.















Aj laid in the stone tub, the water was warm and soothing. The smell of the flowers and oils they put in the water made him feel calmer and it helped his headache a lot. The guys had come in to see him after the Elvaan Priest had settled him in. They didn’t really talk about what happened, and Kevin was unusually quiet. He figured they were saving the yelling at him until he was out of the Springs, and feeling better. Closing his eyes he inhaled deeply, letting the aroma of the oils and peddles sooth his aching head and body. He started to remember what it felt like, all that energy rushing through his body. It didn’t feel like the rush he got when he did drugs, and drank, it was a different rush, although the hang over from this was a lot worse.



He opened an eye and peered at the doorway as voices from outside his room broke him from his thoughts. He strained a little to hear what they were saying, and he pouted a little when he couldn’t hear them. They were close enough that he could hear them talking, but not what they were saying. As he sat up he looked at his hand, his fingers were getting wrinkly and he wondered how much longer he was going to have to be in here.



“Fuck it.” He said to himself as he pulled himself out of the stone tub, and walked over to the dry, fresh robe that hung on the wall beside him. He pulled it over him and tied it up. Looking it over as he pulled it tightly around him, he looked at his new clothing style. He didn’t mind the robes so much, many of them looked very nice, beautiful colours and fabrics, but he was always worried about it coming open.



“Alex is everything alright?” he heard Marsa’s voice behind him. Aj turned around and saw the Elvaan standing in the door way with Avit.



“Yeah I’m fine, was starting to shrivel up.” He lightly smiled as he lifted his hand a little.



“I see.” Marsa replied with a light smile. “Avit and I were just coming to see if you were ready to head back to your room.”



“Yeah.” Aj said with a nod as he walked over to the two at the doorway. “I’m getting hungry too.”



“I’ll tell the cook to prepare you something, and will have it brought up to your room.” Marsa said with a light smile.



“Cool.” Aj said with a nod as Marsa held out his arm for Aj to exit the room.







Nick walked down the hallways of the Tree Castle. He looked around at the ceiling, the walls, the pictures on the walls, the drapes on the walls; everything was very regal and bold. As he reached the end of the hall he looked at the large wooden door in front of him, with a light shrug he pushed on the door and opened it. Slowly the door opened and it revealed the room inside.



It was made of all stone, not like the rest of the castle where tree branches layered the walls. In the middle of the room a glass globe sat on a pedestal and it lightly glowed filling the room with a soft glow of white. Carefully he walked over to the globe and lifted his hand to it.



“I would not touch that if I were you.” A voice said from the door and Nick spun around in shock. He was startled to see Nalia standing there.



“Oh?” he said looking at the globe then back to her. “What? Will it turn me into a hideous monster?”



“No.” Nalia said with a light smile and laugh. “It will send you too Tokia.”



“Tokia? Where the Dwarves live?” Nick asked and Nalia nodded. “Oh.” He said looking back at the globe again as he realized what would have happened. “So what is this thing?”



“It’s a Travel globe.” Nalia said as she walked over to him. “There are four of them in each of the main cities. “One globe for Tokia, one globe for Sarila, one for Kalica, and one for Winnol.”



“What about Johon?” Nick asked.



“Pardon?” Nalia asked confused as she looked from the globe to him.



“Well if Johon has Kalica, and Sarila, why doesn’t he use the globes and just invade here or in Tokia.” Nick asked.



“Oh, well they can be shut down, and Marsa and Rossi shut down the globes to Kalica a year ago, and the globes to Sarila were shut down before you even left to find Rayne on the ship.”



“Well that’s good then.” Nick said with a nod.



“Did you want to go?” Nalia asked.



“Go?” Nick replied a little confused.



“Yes. To Tokia.” Nalia said with a nod to the globe, “It is still early, I am sure Rossi would love to see you.”



“Ah.” Nick said thinking. He wanted to go, he wanted to see more of this place, and it’s why he was out walking around while the others were moping about Aj. “Sure.”



“Alright, then let me tell Bussa and then we can leave.” Nalia said with a nod.



“Ok.” Nick said as he walked out of the room with her.



“I will be right back.” Nalia said with a nod. Nick nodded back at her and watched as she walked down the hallway. Nick started looking around again, something to do to pass the time.



“Hey, what are you up too?” He heard Aj say; he turned around and saw his friend walking down the hall with Marsa and Avit.



“Waiting for Nalia, she’s going to take me to Tokia for a little bit.” Nick said as he walked up too them.



“She is?” Marsa said a little confused.



“Yeah, I was looking around and found that room.” Nick said pointing to the globe room. “She found me, told me what the globe did, asked if I wanted to go.”



“Globe?” Aj asked confused.



“It is a form of transportation for us, a very quick one.” Marsa explained to Aj.



“Oh.” Aj said with a nod. “Do the guys know your going?”



“Nope, they’re all in their room, moping.” Nick said with a shrug. “How are you doing?”



“Me? I’m ok.” Aj said with a shrug as he watched Marsa and Avit move away and start talking. “Head still hurts a little but I’m use to it.” He lightly smiled.



“I tell ya dude that was some pretty messed up stuff you did back there.” Nick said looking at him. “What made you go all Gandalf on that Mages ass?” Nick watched as Aj’s face fell a little. “Lord of the Rings dude, Lord of the Rings.” Nick said as Aj looked up.



“I know that dumb ass.” Aj said rolling his eyes. “I don’t really know why.” Aj said as Nick looked at him. After everything they had been through with him, Nick knew when Aj was lying or at least hiding something. Nick was about to ask him again but Marsa came over and interrupted them.



“There has been a small change in plans.” Marsa told them. “I will need to speak with Rossi about what happened today and what to do about Johon and his army, so I will be going with you Nickolas.”



“Ok.” Nick said with a nod.



“Alexander if you need anything please ask Avit.” Marsa said as he turned to Aj. Marsa then turned to Nick. “I will be in the globe room when Nalia arrives.” Nick smiled to Marsa as the Elvaan man walked to the globe room with Avit.



“Old man cramping your style?” Aj asked as he tapped Nick on the arm. Nick looked back at him and lightly laughed.



“Please, I’m Nick Carter, going to take more than an Old Elvaan man to cramp my style.” Nick said with a sarcastic smile. Aj and Nick started laughing as Nalia walked down the hall with Bussa by her side.



“Marsa is in the globe room, he’s coming with us.” Nick said to Nalia as she walked up to them.



“Oh?” Nalia replied.



“Yeah, he said he needed to talk to Rossi about what happened and what to do next.” Nick said with a shrug.



“Of course.” Nalia said with a light nod understanding. “Than shall we go?” she asked.



“Sure.” Nick said with a nod, he then took her by the arm. “Later man.” Nick said with a wave to Aj.



“Later dude.” Aj said with a light smile.







Aj watched as Nick, Nalia and Bussa walked into the globe room and the door closed behind them. He then turned and headed down to the next set of doors and entered his room. The bed had been drawn and the curtains were closed as well. He made his way over to the bed and slowly crawled on top of it. His hands slid under the pillow as his head laid on top of it. The pain in his head was slowing going away. Aj’s eyes slowly started to flutter close but a knock on his door, popped them back open.



Sluggishly he crawled out of his bed and walked over to the door, tiredly he opened it, wondering who was behind it. As the door pulled back, Aj peered around it and saw Rayne standing on the other side. She had changed into a dress; it was dark blue, with sliver thread, and silver ribbon lacing through it. The top part of the dress was a bustier, the bottom of the dress ballooned out like an elegant gown.



“Hi.” Aj said as he realized he was staring.



“Hello.” She said with a smile and a light nod. “How are you doing?” she asked.



“I’m ok.” Aj said as he stepped back from the door and motioned for her to come in. She lightly smiled and entered his room. “But how are you?” he asked as he closed the door.



“Me?” Rayne said a little confused. “I am fine.” She paused. “Thanks too you.”



“Well your welcome.” Aj said as walked over to her. “I’ve seemed to have freaked a lot of people out.”



“Freaked?” Rayne said not understanding the meaning of the word.



“Oh, like, um, scared, acting weird.” Aj said as he tried to explain to her.



“Oh, I see because of the spell you conjured?” She said.



“Yeah.” Aj said with a nod. “And to be truthful it’s freaking me out too.” He said as he sat down on the couch in his room.



“I imagine it would.” Rayne said as she joined him. “You don’t believe you are from here, you’ve never opened yourself up to magic before, especially that kind of magic.” She said as he looked at the fireplace across from them. “You do know what kind of magic you conjured..”



“Yeah..” Aj said looking back at her. “One of the Ancient spells.”



“Where did you learn it?” She asked. He looked at her for a moment and then stood up.



Aj walked over to his desk and took two books that were sitting on top. He then walked back over to the couch and sat down as he handed them too her. She looked at him and took the books.



“That one is your mom’s, she had written a bunch of books that covered more on the mage job and stuff.” Aj said with a light shrug. “So I went to the Council and asked them if they had them.”



“I see.” Rayne said as she put down her mothers book and looked at the other one. “The Ancients.” She read the heading of the book.



“It didn’t tell me how to cast them, or anything like that, just what they did, the destruction they could cause, and the energy it would take.” Aj said.



“It seems to have baffled many of the people here, even the ones in the Council.” Rayne said as she set the books down. “How did you do it?” Aj looked at her for a moment. He’s pretty sure what it was that set him off, but should he tell her.



“I’m not really sure.” Aj said as he looked down to his fingers. “Everything just happened so fast.”



“That is understandable.” Rayne said with a nod. Aj looked at her and lightly smiled. “Maybe there’s something in the book you missed.” She said too him as she reached for the book on the Ancient Magic.



“Missed?” Aj asked a little confused.



“Yes, maybe it says something in here about how to conjure them you just did not recognize it, but now that you have been through it, maybe you will see it.”



“I don’t think it’s in there.” Aj said as she looked up from the book.

“You seem certain.” She said as she set the book down on her lap. He picked at his fingers as he felt her eyes on him. “Alex?”



“I just..” He stopped, wondering if he should say anything at all but that feeling was coming back, pushing him to say it, pushing him to tell her. “I just got so mad and scared.”



“Because of Johon and his men.” Rayne asked.



“No.” Aj said quietly.



“Then there is something else?” Rayne asked as Aj looked up at her. He stared at her for a moment, the words on the edge of his lips.



“Because of what happened to you.” Aj said as he looked back down to his nails.



“Me?” Rayne said stunned.



“I didn’t know what had happened, she was holding you up in the air, and you were screaming in pain, and I just freaked out.” Aj said as stood up. “I know it’s stupid, I don’t even know why.”



“It is not stupid.” He heard Rayne say and he turned around and looked at her. He watched as she set the book down on the couch and stood up. “It is not stupid to feel the way you do.”



“I don’t know how I feel, well I do but there’s so much going on and I can’t figure out what’s real and what’s not.” Aj said with a sigh of frustration. “How much of what I feel is because of me, or how much is because of who I am supposed to be.”



“But Alex you are both.” Rayne said to him. “You were born here as an Elvaan but everything you know is what you experienced on Earth; those two things make you who you are today. You just need to give yourself some more time, to get to know the Elvaan part.”



Aj was about to reply when there was a knock at his door; he looked at her and then made his way over to the door. When he opened it, he saw a maid standing in the hall with a cart of food.



“Dinner sir.” The maid said with a light bow.



“Oh thanks.” Aj said as he stepped away and let her enter.



“I will go and let you eat.” Rayne said as he turned to her.



“You don’t have too.” Aj said as he lightly grabbed her arm to stop her. “I always hated eating alone anyways.” He said to her with a light smile. She lightly smiled back with a nod.











Nick waved the cloud of smoke floating around his face, shockingly it didn’t make him cough, or choke him at all. When most of the clouds were gone he looked around and saw that they were standing in a room similar to the room that was in Winnol, except, when Nick looked up he realized this room was much, much smaller. He looked over to Marsa and the Old Elvaan man was hunched over. Nick realized if Marsa stood up he’d whack his head off the ceiling.



“What’s with this place?” Nick whispered to Nalia as they headed out of the room.



“What do you mean?” Nalia asked a little confused.



“Everything’s so small.” Nick said as they walked out to the hallway, ducking his head, as to not hit it off the beam.



“Well this is Tokia, home of the Dwarves.” Nalia said with a light smile. “You do not think such short people would have big buildings?”



“Oh.” Nick said understanding. “Yeah, guess your right.”



“Do not worry; there is a district for us.” Nalia said with a light laugh and smile. “Buildings the Dwarves built to accommodate us and the Elvaans.”



“AYE!!” They heard someone shout. “There they be.” Nick recognized the short, red headed, bearded dwarf as Rossi the King of this land.



“Hello Rossi.” Marsa said with a light smile.



“Come my friend, let’s get you up right.” Rossi said with a laugh to Marsa as he headed down the hall. Nick and Nalia looked at each other and lightly laughed as they followed the two outside.



Nick watched as two dwarf guards pulled on two giant wooden doors, carved designs of waves, ships and men, etched into them. To Nick the doors looked like something he would see in a Viking Castle. When the doors opened a rush of cold air blasted at them.



“Oh crap!” Nick shouted out as he wrapped his arms around him.



“What’s be the matter Nickolas?” Rossi asked as everyone looked at him shocked and confused.



“N-n-not use to t-this c-cold.” Nick said as he frowned looking outside.



“Aye, they told me tis warm where you come from.” Rossi said. The tone in his voice was a little loathsome. As they all headed out Nick tightly wrapped his arms around him. The wind was blowing and by the looks of the place he was glad it wasn’t snowing at this time.



The four of them walked down the road that lead out from the castle, and Nick got a full view of the city. The castle sat atop a large mountain, and as he looked back, he realized the castle actually sat in the mountain. Below them the City of Augem, it reminded Nick a lot of Sweden, accept on a smaller scale. The buildings were smaller, the lights were smaller, even the streets were smaller. Except for the houses in the back, they stood tall over the city.



“What’s with those?” Nick asked Nalia as he nodded to the buildings in the back.



“That’s the Guest district, those are the buildings built for us.” Nalia said. “The rooms are our size, the beds are our size, and everything is fitted for us to be more comfortable.”



“Cool.” Nick said with a nod.



“So how things be in Winnol my friend?” Rossi asked.



“Not good I am afraid.” Marsa said sadly. “Johon has moved his men to the island, we sent out an observation team, and well what they found is most disturbing.”



“And what be that?” Rossi asked as he stopped walking.



“Johon is on his way to the island, and is getting ready to set War with Winnol.” Marsa said sadly.



“Blasted.” Rossi said in anger. “If Adop were alive right now…” Rossi stopped when Marsa put his hand on his shoulder. “Bloody humans.”



“Now, now” Marsa said “They did what they did for their children, it is in the past and has been done.”



“I will send men back with you, and I will have my army ship out tomorrow morning.” Rossi said. “Johon wants a war; bloody hell the Dwarves will give him one.” Rossi said with excitement and anger as he raised his axe.



“I know you will my friend.” Marsa said with a light smile. “And the Elvaans will be right beside you.”



“And the humans will be as well.” Nick heard Nalia say.



“Aye M’lady Nalia I never ment..” Rossi was interrupted.



“I know Rossi.” Nalia said but Nick saw no expression on her face.



“Come my friend, poor Nickolas looks like a Feggor Stick.” Marsa said and Rossi started laughing along with Nalia.



“A what?” Nick asked as everyone started walking. “Hey..” Nick said as no one answered. “Hey..” He said again as he ran to catch up to the group still laughing. “Whats a Freggor Stick?” Nick asked Nalia. She looked up at him still laughing a little.



“I’m not sure how to explain it to you.” Nalia said as she calmed herself. “A Freggor stick is a dessert from Freggor, another city here in Tokia.”



“Oh.” Nick said thinking.



“It is a very sweet dessert on a stick, very delicious.”



“Like a popsicle.” Nick said understanding. “Oh like a popsicle, I get it now.” Nick laughed when Nalia started laughing again. “And yes..” Nick said as everyone looked at him. “I’m turning into a Freggo stick, so can we go somewhere warm?” Nick asked.



“Bloody hell.” He heard Rossi sigh under his breath. “Follow me.” Rossi said with a wave.



“What did I say?” Nick asked as little confused.



“The Dwarfs love the cold.” Nalia said as they started walking. “They take pride in it; it is a little hard for them to swallow your dislike for it.”



“Oh.” Nick said understanding. “Well I just need to get use to it, I guess.”



“Do not worry, Rossi will get over it.” Nalia said with a smile. “Dwarves are happy people by nature; they do not really hold grudges.”



“Unless you’re Johon.” Nick said.



“Yes.” Nalia nodded. “Unless you’re Johon.”



Rossi lead them to the Guest District and guided them to a tall building made from wooden logs, stones of many sizes, and the roofs were covered in snow, as icicles hung down from the edges. The buildings looked normal, the lights looked normal. They all walked up the large staircase and headed into the building.



“Aww.” Nick said in sigh as he felt his body warming up. He saw Rossi shake his head and decided to ignore it.



“Nickolas will be staying here; I am having a place built for him in the castle, where he can stay when he visits.” Rossi said.



“You are?” Nick asked a little shocked.



“You are my son, and you do have the right to stay in the castle.” Rossi said as he headed down the hallway.



Nick stood there a moment. “His son.” Repeating in his head. It wasn’t the first time he had said it, it wasn’t the first time Nick had heard it, but it was the first time, it was sinking in. This was his home, this is where he was born. Rossi was his father and Mela was his mother.



“Nick?” He heard Nalia say and it broke him from his thoughts.



“Huh?” Nick said a little confused.



“Everything all right?” she asked.



“Yeah, just thinking.” He said with a shrug.



“Care to share?” She asked.



“It’s just what Rossi said, I mean I know I’ve heard it before but him saying it just now was a little..” Nick stopped to think of a word.



“You mean when he said he was your Father?” Nalia asked.



“Yeah.” Nick nodded. “My Parents weren’t perfect, far from it, and sometimes I did wish I had different ones.”



“What child does not?” Nalia asked with a light smile.



“True.” Nick said with a small smile back. “But I didn’t wish I had different ones because they grounded me, or wouldn’t let me stay out late. I wanted new ones because they used me, it seemed like, my mom more than my dad, but he still let it happen.”



“Used you?” Nalia said a little shocked.



“Yeah.” Nick said quietly. He realized she didn’t know, most or all of his fans did, even people who weren’t fans knew how his parents were if they watched the news at all. “See where I come from, you can make a lot of money entertaining people, and if you’re a kid doing that, your parents control what you do, what you make, and well, sometimes..” Nick stopped.



“I understand.” Nalia said with a light nod.



“You do?” Nick asked.



“A long time ago, parents here married their children to benefit the family, even if you were a Princess or a Prince, if it was beneficial for the family, then that is what happened. It is not like that now, but we are reminded about it, is it like that?”



“Yeah it’s something like that.” Nick said with a nod.



“So now that you are here, it is like a second chance?”



“Yeah. But how long will it last, how long will I be here.”



“I do not know.” Nalia said as Nick sighed. “But it is certain you are needed until we beat Johon.”



“Yeah.” Nick said. Just then Rossi shouted for them to join him down the hall and they headed towards him.



“This will be your room until the time the one in the castle is complete.” Rossi said as he opened the large solid wooden doors. Nick walked into the room, walls made of stone, the wooden floor creeked a little under his feet. The large bed at the front of the room ended where a large bear skin type rug laid at the foot of it. A large fire place that was already lit and crackling sat in the wall to the left of him. A round table stood to the left of him four chairs circling around it.



“Well at least I don’t have to worry about it burning down.” Nick said as he walked over to the fire place.



“Pardon?” the other three said confused.



“The fireplaces in the Tree Castle, wood, fire, bad combo, Aj won’t even light his.” Nick said with a light smile.



“You can shoot shadow bolts from your fingers, but yet you still think a fireplace in a tree castle would burn down?” Nalia asked him with a sarcastic smile.



“This place confuses me, I dunno.” Nick said shrugging as Nalia started laughing. “Are you laughing at me?”



“Yes.” Nalia said with a nod still laughing.



“Well at least you’re honest.” Nick said with a smirk and a light laugh.



A commotion down the hall stopped their laughter and Rossi, Marsa, Nalia and Nick looked around at each other wondering what could be going on. Slowly they made their way over to the door, but before they got there a guard arrived and ran into the room.



“Your Majesty, the globe to Winnol has been closed.” The man said breathless.



“What?!” Rossi said shocked.



“Aye, the guard said he saw the light go out, he opened the door and it was off, they shut it off from Winnol.” He said catching his breath.



“Why would they shut it down?” Nick asked.



“Johon.” Marsa said with great worry.



“The guys.” Nick said looking at them.



“Mother.” Nalia whispered. “We have to go back.” Nalia said quickly.



“It would take a day for Arylian to reach Winnol, and we can not ship an army by Gryphon.”



“No and you do not have that many here as it is.” Marsa said as he tried to think.



“Why don’t they have many Gryphon’s’ here?” Nick whispered to Nalia as Marsa and Rossi talked.



“The cold, they do not like the cold weather.” Nalia said. Nick nodded understanding and it made Nalia smile.



“Nickolas.” Marsa said and he looked up to the Elvaan. “You, Nalia and I will head back by Gryphon. Rossi will gather is army and set out, it is the only thing we can do.” Marsa said. Nick nodded in agreement and they headed to the doors.



“How long will it take to fly there?” Nick said to Nalia as they left the room.



“It will take about four hours.” Nalia said as they walked down the hall.



“I hope everyone’s ok, and we get there in time.” Nick said with worry.











Aj ran down the stair case behind Avit, behind Aj was a herd of soldiers. He had just finished his dinner while talking to Rayne when they heard a commotion outside of his window. Curious he walked over and opened it, only to see the city below under attack by Johon’s Army. Both of them immediately rushed to Avit, which is where they were separated. Rayne went to find Queen Evia. Aj and Avit went to gather up the soldiers in the Castle.



“Get the citizen’s into the castle now!” Avit shouted to the two guards at the doors as they ran into the large entrance way. The two guards pulled on the doors and as the Army ran out, the people of Winnol began running in. “Alex, we have gathering rooms down that hall, get all of them into their.” Avit told him.



“Alright.” Aj said with a nod. He was becoming a little scared. Was this it, the war everyone was talking about? Aj looked around as the people began flowing in. “Everyone follow me!” Aj shouted as he waved his arm down the hall. The people began to follow him and he searched for the right one.



Pushing on a giant wooden door it creaked as it opened and he walked into a large room with seating all around. Couches, chairs, benches, and lounge benches. He walked the people into the room and saw that the wall on the right opened up.



“What does that wall open up for?” Aj asked one of the guards.



“For room sir, we can open it if you like?” The man replied.



“Please.” Aj said with a nod as he looked to the door way and still saw people coming in. Slowly he made his way through the crowd, back towards the door.



“Prince Alexander what is going on?’ One woman asked as he walked past.



“Uh.” Aj said looking at her. “We’re not sure, that’s why everyone is coming here, make sure everyone is safe.” Aj said hoping that would calm her. The Elvaan woman smiled as she continued into the room. Aj got out into the hallway and looked down towards the entrance of the castle. As he neared the end of the hallway he saw Avit talking too Queen Evia.



“The people are going into the room and I had the guards open the other room.” Aj said as he approached the two. He stopped when they saw the worried look on their faces. “What’s going on, its Johon isn’t it?” Aj said with a small frown.



“Yes.” Avit said with a nod. “But that is not the only thing.” Aj looked at him confused. Then he realized Rayne wasn’t there.



“Where is she?” he asked as he looked to Evia.



“The people were talking when they were coming in; they said they saw a Mage, in black and silver at the magic grounds heading towards the middle of town.” Evia said to him.



“I tried to go after her but she took off and had that blasted wolf of hers cut me off.” Avit sighed.



“I’ll go find her.” Aj said as he turned around.



“Not alone.” Avit said grabbing his arm.



“Then come, or send guards with me, but I’m going now.” Aj said and then he turned around and headed towards the door.



“Lamsec.” Avit said quickly. One of Avit’s commanders came up to him.



“Yes sir.” He said with a quick salute.



“Your platoon is on Castle guard. The Falcon Platoon and the Drake Platoon are pushing back Johon’s men, make sure the citizen’s get everything they need and no one comes into this castle.”



“Yes Sir!” The man shouted with a salute. Avit then turned to Queen Evia.



“Please M’lady you should go with the people.” He said as she looked at him.







Aj ran down towards the middle of town, where the fountain was. There were people fighting everywhere, Johon’s men, Winnol’s men. A couple of houses were on fire and he stopped to help the guards put them out. Glad Avit or his men didn’t follow, he searched for her on his own. He ran down an ally way that cut behind a bunch of homes and lead straight too the center of town. As he got closer he could hear fighting and shouting. He stopped as he reached the end of the ally and slowly poked his head out, trying not to be seen. Looking around he saw men, nothing but men fighting. Making sure the Winnol soldiers were holding up ok first, Aj turned around and started towards the Magic Fields but stopped dead when something moved in front of him. His body froze and he stared for a moment.



“Paq.” He sighed in relief when he realized it wasn’t one of Johon’s men. “Let’s go.” Aj said to the wolf, knowing she would take him right to Rayne. To his surprise she didn’t take him to the Magic Fields but she led him to a large open area. There were tall trees, flowers and the grass was a very lush green. He looked across the field and saw a large stage area and two people standing in the structure. Slowly he walked up hiding behind tree’s making sure not to be seen. He knelt down as he approached the stage and began to hear the two.



“I will die before I let you take me back to him.” Rayne said as she took a couple of steps back.



“That can be arranged.” The mage said with a little laugh.



“I do not think Johon would approve.” Rayne said back to her.



“Who cares what Johon thinks?” The Mage quickly replied, and Aj shot an eyebrow up as he heard the Mage speak. “No my dear, I do not care what that sad little man has to say. I hide in the shadows, where do you think his army came from?” she asked.



“My Father, he..” Rayne was interrupted.



“Your Father was a weak, pathetic man who could not even part with his child to save his kingdom, his people, his world.” The Mage said as she stood in front of Rayne.



“How dare you, you do not know him, my Father was a great man.” Rayne shouted.



“No he was not, and your mother knew this!” The Mage shouted at Rayne.



“You do not know how my Mother felt.” Rayne said in a calm rage, her teeth gritted together.



“I do my dear.” The Mage said. “I know this because.” The Mage stopped talking and lifted her hands up to her hood and slowly pulled it back. “I use to be her.”



“No.” Rayne whispered quietly.



“Yes.” The Mage replied with an evil smile. “You know how the story goes do you not?” she asked looking at her daughter. “The evil will come back, the evil will find someone to play its chaotic game, and the Guardians will come and vanquish the evil.” Halian said as Aj watched, ready to attack, still going unnoticed by the women. “But there’s a twist, I got bored with the first one and when I came across your mother in Pomic, well I could not ignore the energy coming from her, even though she was seconds from death anyways, so really you should thank me, because I saved her.” Aj could feel the anger rise up in him, but before he could do anything a scream made him look to his right at Rayne as she ran at the woman.



The Mage grabbed Rayne by her cloak and threw her into the stage fence at the side. It broke into pieces as she crashed into it. Aj jumped up onto the stage and sent a bolt of Ice flying at the Mage. It sent her to the ground but she quickly got back up as Aj stepped in front of Rayne.



“So, her hero comes again.” The Mage said as she looked at Aj.



“Leave, or I’ll do more than toss you out to the ocean.” Aj said to her.



“You got lucky.” She replied as she stepped forward.



“Wanna test that theory?” Aj asked as little wisps of wind fluttered around his fingers. The leaves from the trees started blowing around, their robes flapped in the wind.



“I do not need to hurt her.” The Mage said as she began to back off. “You will do it for me.” She smiled as she slowly pulled her gaze away and turned into a strobe of light, disappearing completely. Aj stared at the spot where the Mage was not really sure what she meant by that. When he heard the sound of wood clanging he turned around and saw Rayne slowing getting up.



“Rayne are you ok?” He asked as she ran over to her.



“Do not touch me!” she yelled as she pulled away from him.



“Relax it’s me.” Aj said but she stepped away from him. He stood there a little stunned as he watched her walk down from the stage. “Wait Rayne.” He pleaded as he went after her. When he caught up to her, he went to take her by the arm but she spun around and let a spell out. Roots came up around Aj’s feet and tangled them up, sending him tripping to the ground. He fell with a thud and a moan as he hit the grass and solid dirt. Quickly he looked up and saw Rayne running out of the park. He looked back to his feet as the spell let go and the roots went back into the ground. Slowly he sat up and brushed himself off, with a mumble and a sigh. Standing back up he headed towards the direction Rayne went.



He began to cover as many of the roads as he could, he noticed most of the fighting was done, and decided to head back to the castle to see how things were there. He continued to look for her as he made his way back but he had no luck finding her.



Aj walked into the front doors of the castle and saw there were still lots of chaos in the castle, but things were settling down. He looked around for Avit or Queen Evia and saw Avit at the top of the staircase. Making his way over, he walked up the stairs to Avit.



“Alexander did you find her?” He asked.



“She’s not here?” Aj asked.



“No.” Avit said as his face fell.



“I saw her at the park; I think it was a park.” Aj said as he saw Evia make her way over. “She was there with the Mage, and I was going to step in but then I heard them talking, and they were talking about Johon, the war and her dad.” Aj said to them. “That evil that we’re suppose to fight, it’s not an actually person?” he asked.



“We’re not sure, the word of Pixca does not say a lot about the evil, mostly about the Guardians.” Evia told him.



“Why?” Avit asked.



“Well the Mage told Rayne that at first it was in Johon, but then it went to a more powerful person.” Aj said as they two looked at him puzzled.



“Who?” Evia asked.



“Rayne’s mother.” Aj said quietly.



“Queen Halian?” Avit gasped in shock.



“Rayne’s mom is the Mage, but the Mage is the one who is the evil we need to fight not Johon, he’s like her puppet or something.” Aj told them. “At least she is now.”



“Where is Rayne now?” Avit asked him as he took Aj by the arm and walked him down the stairs.



“I don’t know, she took off, tangled me up in that spell of hers.” Aj said as he followed beside Avit.



“I will send some guards with you, most of Johon’s men have retreated out of the Castle and City grounds, go find her.” Avit said as Aj nodded and stopped by the Castle doors. A minute later Aj was joined by four guards and they made their way out to the city grounds. They made their way through Winnol searching in shops, and homes, looking for Rayne and looking for any stranglers hiding. They searched all over the city, the Magic Fields, the School Yards, in the Schools, by the Fountain and they even went back to the Park but no sign of Rayne, not even a sign of Paq.



“Any luck?” Avit asked as Aj and the men returned to the Castle.



“No.” Aj said as he shook his head. Avit frowned as he told his men to take a break, and he will send another group out to search for her.



Aj walked up the stairs and headed down the hall to his room. The events in the park flashing in his head, the words of the Mage echoing in his mind and he wondered what Rayne was thinking right now, how she was feeling right now. Opening the door to his room he walked in and flopped down onto his couch. He closed his eyes with a sigh and tried to relax but a knock at the door made him jump up.



“Hey.” Aj said as he looked away from Kevin as he stood in the door way.



“Pretty crazy huh.” Kevin said as he walked in.



“Yeah, you guys ok?” he asked as Kevin sat down beside him.



“Yeah we’re good.” Kevin said with a nod. “Are you ok?” Kevin asked looking at him.



“I don’t want to fight with you right now Kevin.” Aj said as he stood up and walked away from the couch.



“Who’s fighting?” He asked. “I’m not fighting, I just asked a question.”



“No, ok.” Aj shot at him. “I’m not ok, Rayne is god knows where right now, and after what happened in the Park I’m really worried about her, and I don’t want to here from you about how I’m getting involved to much and all that bullshit.”



“Dude, I never said anything.” Kevin said looking at him. “What happened at the Park, how come you can’t find Rayne?” Aj looked at him, and when he didn’t see the fight in Kevin’s eyes that he usually saw, he sighed, and started telling him what happened at the Park.



“Wow.” Kevin said in shock. “Ok, well do you need help looking for her, I’ll get Howie and Brian and we’ll go look with you.” Kevin said as Aj walked over to the window.



“I don’t know, I already went out with a bunch of guards and we looked everywhere.” Aj said with worry as he pushed on his windows and the opened. He looked out over the city wondering where she was. He remembered when he was in her room, and everyone had gone swimming, the view from her room was amazing. “Wait..” Aj said as he remembered the view from her room. “Of course.” He said as he turned around and ran out of his room.



“Huh, dude.” Kevin said getting up and chasing him.



Aj ran down the hallway and flew down the stairs. Avit watched in confusion as Aj flew passed him and headed down the back hallway. He headed right towards the doors they lead out to the Tree Falls. When he reached the open area he looked around.



“Sir what is going on?” Avit asked as he caught up to him.



“Is there an entrance to this place from the city?” Aj asked.



“Yes, over there, in the back.” Avit said pointing to the cave opening.



“I don’t see her.” Kevin said as Aj looked at him, for the first time realizing he had followed him.



“I dunno it was just a thought.” Aj said as he looked up to the falls, and then back, seeing the windows climbing the tree’s.



“Let’s go get the guys, we’ll go look again.” Kevin said as Aj looked at him.



“Yeah.” Aj sighed. He was sure he was going to find her there. Then he had another idea and he stopped walking. “Um, actually I’m just gonna chill here for a few, it’s kind of nice.”



“Are you sure?” Avit asked.



“Yeah, she still might come here, so I’ll just hang out for a few.” Aj said with a nod.



“Alright.” Avit nodded and headed towards the doors.



“Dude?” Kevin said looking at him.



“I’m fine really.” Aj said. “We’ve been everywhere, she can take care of herself, and she doesn’t want to be found right now.”



“Ok.” Kevin said as he looked at him for a moment. Then he left too and Aj turned around. Looking across the swimming pond to the rushing falling water, he walked over to the water, and slowly walked in, it surprised him; the water was warm. As the water began to get deeper he started swimming towards the falls. When he came within a couple of feet of the falls, the sound of the water was loud, almost thunderous. With a deep breath he dove down and swam under the falls, pushing himself hard against the currant as he swam directly under them. When he felt the pressure release, he slowly swam up and came up above the water inside a cave. He scanned the cave.



“Bingo.” He thought in relief as he saw her sitting on some rocks at the back of the cave. Her hair was wet and now much longer and straighter, almost touching the rock she sat on. Slowly and quietly, not trying to startle her, he swam over to the back of the cave.



“Rayne?” He said as he swam up to the rocks. She was sitting with her legs against her chest, her head resting against her knees.



“What do you want?” She asked not moving her head.



“Making sure you’re ok.” Aj said as he pulled himself up onto the rock.



“I am and I wish to be alone.” She said sternly.



“Really?” Aj said as he looked at her. “Cause I know if I found out what you did, the last thing I would want to do is be alone.”



“Well you are not me.” She replied as she looked up at him.



“True.” Aj said with a nod. “And you’re not me.”



“What do you mean by that?” She asked.



“You have no idea how stubborn I can be.” He said and he flashed a smile at her. She looked away from him and they sat there in the echoes of the falls outside, and the splashing over the water from the entrance to the cave.



“How long were you there?” She asked as she broke the silence.



“At the Park?” Aj asked. “Long enough.” He said as he looked at her. She was looking down at the water, her stringy wet hair in her face. “Was it really her?” Rayne said nothing but just nodded quickly. Aj frowned and his heart sank. “Why don’t you come back to the Castle, I promise you won’t have to answer questions, you can go right to your room.”



“Oh, the castle, the city is it still?”



“Under attack? No.” Aj said as he shook his head. “They seemed to have left when she did.”



“Good.” Rayne said with a light nod.



“We got the citizen’s into the Castle; they’re in the lounge rooms.” Aj said. “I should be getting back anyways, I’m sure they need help cleaning up.” Aj slid back into the water and pushed himself off the rock a little; he stopped and started to tread water. “I don’t think you should be alone right now or at least alone in this cave.” She looked up at him. “Let me take you back to the Castle, ok?” She looked away for a moment, and then she stretched out her legs, and turned around, dipping her legs into the water, she slowly slipped in. He waited for her to swim up to him and then they swam beside each other back towards the falls.



When they hit the shore Aj headed towards the door that lead to the back hallway of the Castle. As he came to the door he turned back to Rayne but she wasn’t behind him, he looked back to the shore line and saw her standing there. He waited for a moment and then walked back towards her. Stopping when he approached her side, he waited and said nothing.



“I feel lost.” She said quietly as she looked out to the lake.



“Been there.” Aj said with a nod.



“Here?” She asked.



“Here, and on Earth.” He replied.



“What did you do?” She asked as she looked at him.



“Did a lot of stupid things, hurt a lot of people, hurt my family, the guys, even myself almost died a couple of times. I don’t suggest going that route.” Aj said with a crooked smile as he looked at her.



“Really.” Rayne said a little stunned.



“Yep.” Aj said taking a deep breath. “I don’t think it’s her Rayne, I think it’s that evil that everyone keeps talking about, I think that’s what she meant when she said she found your mom.” He watched as her face fell.



“I know it is not, it is just her body.” Rayne said quietly. “It seems since I found out I was a Guardian, I have lost my Father, my home, and now I find out because of it I have lost my mother.” She said as a tear fell down her cheek.



“I promise you, we’ll get one of them back.” Aj said as she turned and looked at him. As she wiped her eyes, she lightly smiled.









The Mage walked into Johon’s tent and saw him sitting on a chair. When she walked in he stood up and immediately waved his soldiers to leave. She watched them walk out of the tent and then turned back to him.



“Tell me Halian, why you thought it necessary, to take half of my men, run off to Winnol, loose most of them and come back with nothing!!” He shouted in anger at her.



“I went after Rayne, but the Elvaan showed up.” She said too him.



“Well of course he did, he will protect her with his life.” He snapped at her.



“And why is that exactly?” The Mage asked.



“Because..” He said and then he stopped. “Because.” He stopped again.



“Because she is nature, a druid, and he is the elements, fire, water, earth, and wind, everything nature needs to survive.” Halian said at him as she walked towards him.



“I do not know this why?” He asked confused.



“Because I have left Johon, I left you a year ago; I only filled your mind with false thoughts, and false whispers.” She said as she approached him. “But now, I have no use for you.”



“What?” Johon said shocked. “You’re lying you witch, your tricking me!” he shouted.



“Am I?” she asked. “Then tell me how Nickolas and Nalia are connected.



“He protects her, because..”



“Wrong!” She shouted interrupting him. “She protects him.”



“What?” Johon said shocked.



“You do not think a woman could?” Halian asked. “A Warlock uses dark energy, no one Lock is immune to the darkness, and he will need a strong Warrior to fight for him, to keep him from falling into the dark forever.” She explained. “Do you not see Johon, they need each other, separate them and all falls apart.”



“But the tale says.”



“Have you forgotten that already as well Johon?” She asked. “I changed the tale, three hundred years ago I found the tale before the Guardians from that time found me, I changed it with a spell, simple really, and because they only follow the word of the tale, they soon forgot.”



“Because they do not hand the tale down any other way.” Johon said shocked.



“Correct.” Halian said with a proud smile. “A slow way of doing things, but I have always been patient.”



“How come you remember and they do not?” Johon asked.



“Oh, clever Johon.” The Mage said to him. “But I can not tell you that.” She said. “For I do not even know, I guess there is something on my side after all.” She shrugged.



“So what do we do now?” He asked.



“We?” She said looking at him. “I told you I had no more use for you.” She said and with one flick of her wrist an explosion of fire fell around Johon and he fell to the ground, screaming in pain. The guards came rushing in and stopped dead when they saw what was in front of them.



“Change of plans.” Halian said. “We leave for Sarila, they know we are here, we are wounded, we will go back and re-supply and reorganized.” She saw the shocked look on the men’s faces. “Oh yes, and I am now in charge.”



“Y-y-yes mame.” The soldier’s said as they quickly left the tent.