- Text Size +

Chapter Two: What's My Name? 

    Tossing a pile of paperwork on the desk Jay looks around the office alittle stressed out. Mekhi strolling into the office holds up the manila folder with a grin on his face.

    “What changed your mind?”

    “I'm just tired of hearing the same thing. Look...I need you to keep quiet on this. The less people know about what is going on, the less exposure we will get. All I know is that the mafia has connections with some of the cops...in fact some of our very own have been crooked working on their side. So from now on...its just you, me and Eli.” He points to the white man with his cropped short hair wearing a hooded sweater and baggy jeans sitting in the corner of the office.

    “Who the fuck is he?” Mekhi raises an eyebrow, tucking the folder under his arm.

    “He works on the outside, he's a good friend of mines and really the only one I can trust at the moment. Mekhi I need to find a way to meet the leader but the only way that's gonna happen is if I'm equipped with the right people. Eli is one of them, he was a ex junkie and actually did some business with them years ago.” Jay breaths out smiling at the man who is hunked over the leather seat in the corner just giving him a quick nod.

    “So we got a wanna be eminem working with us now? Amazing...” Mekhi chuckles shaking his head. “Aight I ain't questioning you. You do what you gotta do...if its just us three in this then so be it. But I gotta let the superiors know at least.”

    “My man no...we can't do that. Once they know they're gonna wanna be involved and somewhere along there we'll get busted...just like you guys tried years ago with it. For once...let me do this my way. I have a better understanding of what's really going on.”

    Mekhi breathing out shakes his head but understanding the reprecussions simply raises his hands in the air surrending. “Okay okay...your way it is. So...how do you plan on getting close to Carlito?”

    “Pretty simple. Stay out of my way and you'll see.” Jay smiles locking his gun in place, tucking it in a back holster.

    “The mafia deals a lot of transactions all around harlem and spanish harlem. They pick the obvious spots cause they know people won't even consider checking them. Places like restaurant bathrooms, to store basements or underground train stations.” Elijah speaks out for the first time sitting up in his seat. His bright blue eyes standing out from his ivory complexion.

    The two detectives gaze at the pale man and back at each pique with an interesting idea. “I know where Carlito normally goes Mekhi...if I can somehow show what a necessity I am to his team he'll take me in.”

    “How do you plan on doing that? You can't just go blow away one of his own people.” Mekhi biting his lower lip starting to wonder if maybe this is a bad idea after all. “You're gonna need back up, they don't fight fair.”

    “All the more reason why I can't have everyone knowing. From now on, its just us three. No one  else in this precinct will know what is going on. Do you understand that?” Jay stands before his partner with arms across his chest.

    “Aight...but this is some serious crazy shit you trying to pull off alone. I don't agree with this tactic but...I'll respect it if it means we'll get them finally.”

    Eli getting off the chair grins patting the two men on their back “Then we should get started. They never stay in the same place for too long.”
~*~


    Driving his black SUV down the street, Carlito stops at a red light gazing around spotting a  young woman talking to her Caribbean friend. Tilting his head, Carlito smiles watching the way the woman moved from her lips to the way her hands move as she speaks excitely about something. Chuckling at that, he does a quick u turn slowing down as he finds a parking spot near the end of the block where the two women were at. Turning off the engine once the vehicle is parked, he gets out adjusting his red button up shirt hiding the gun in the back holster. Carlito takes a few steps about to pass the two talking women when one of them, the latina points him out.

    “Aren't you....that guy?” She whispers out swallowing hard when he stares at their attention.

    “What guy is that?” Carlito steps up to them getting a much better look at the woman before him. She was petite, couldn't be no more than five feet give or take but her boot heels made her stand almost three or four inches higher. Her dark hair pulled back in a tight ponytail, her butter pecan hands tug on a strand of stray hair that blew in her face. She was beautiful to him at least from what he can tell so far.

    Shrugging, the woman clears her throat. “The one people talk about.” She smirks resting her hands on her shapely hips.

    “She just playing...she dunno who you are.” Her carribean friend blurts out poking her friend hard in the ribs for that.

    “No no its fine I'm curious to see who she thinks I am.” Carlito adjust his newsboy cap on his hand. “Give it a try.”

    “Heh..you that leader in charge of some gang right? You been all over the news recently.” The latin woman states blinking as he pulls out his pistol cleaning it in front of her.

    “Maybe I am....maybe I'm not. Either way watch what you're saying. Next time I may not be this friendly.” He perks his eyebrows seeing the small woman step up to him not at all afraid of his status.

    “A smile goes a long way. Besides you don't scare me. I've seen bigger guns.” The woman beams hearing her friend giggle softly.

    “But you never seen how this gun is handled.” He whispers in her ear locking the pistol as the sound of the bullets are in place.

    Swallowing hard at the sound, the woman steps back wide eyed quickly shutting up.

    “What's your name?” He gazes at both women. The carribean woman shakes her hands walking away trying to drag her friend along with her. After a few steps the latin woman turns around smiling yelling out “Reina!” Before disappearing at the corner of the block.

    “Cute...” Carlito mutters heading to Manny's deli located off the block of St. Nicholas and 145 street. Stepping into the store a chubby face spanish man perks his head up from behind the counter resting his paper down eyeing Carlito's every move.

    “Viste donde 'sta Freddy?” Carlito lingers his eyes around the store looking for the drug dealer. Freddy often did his business in many of the spanish own deli stores since it suited him better, he  would often want a cuban cigar and they were only sold in these places.

    “I dunno where he is right now. He normally comes around five after the deliveries are done.” Manny clears his throat diverting his eyes back to the newspaper.

    “Funny...he said he'd be here right now...let's not play games. Where the fuck is he?” Carlito pulls out his smith and wesson black pistol aiming it at Manny.

    “Whoa whoa! Calmate hermanito let me look!” He struggles around the counter hopping off the ledge rushing down the aisle “Freddy! Rey is here.” He calls out almost feeling the presence of the man's gun still on him. “Avanza!”

    Freddy, a rather stout arrogant Italian man with a withered pepper colored beard and bushy eyebrows appears from the back door puffing on one of his fave cigars. Smiling to see Carlito there, he waves him to the back to join him. “I was wondering when you were gonna show up.”

    “I'm on time pops.” Carlito drags the tip of his pistol across the bags of coffee aligned up on the shelf as he heads over to them.

    “Good...look we got a little problem with the delivery...” Freddy lets the cigar hang off his lips.

    “Yeah see I don't like that word. Problem...what the hell is so hard about transporting a few crates of items from one truck to another and dropping it off here?” Carlito faces him now pressing the tip of his gun on the man's beer belly.

    “Nothing except one of the drivers ran over somebody. Now the cops found the trunk and raided it finding all the stash. I was trying to call you but you always so busy.”

    “Ah yeah sorry I don't like my sex time to be interuppted with business. You understand how that goes.” Carlito grins resting the gun on the man's neck.

    “I can give you the guns....I promise but I need more time. I got rid of that driver already I dunno what was wrong with him but he got us in more trouble then need be. Come let's talk about this in the back...customers are coming in.” Freddy steps back into the stock room marching down aisles of can goods and cartons of milk. Having set up a small table with one crate he pries it open with a rod showing him the guns he has left.

    “I can get you the rest of the guns tommorrow...this is from the last delivery. To just hold you over till it comes in. You know I'm good for my word papa.” Freddy takes a puff of his cigar blowing out the hot smoke that lingers in the air.

    “Fuck you viejito. I'm giving you to tonight.” Carlito pulls his gun away glaring at the man.

    Freddy startled from the man's sudden words scans the room. “Its the best I can offer right now. Work with me here.”

    “I don't have to do shit. The only reason I deal with you was cause my father had connections with you. I'm personally not here for the friendship. Its strickly business. You don't got my shit and I really don't wanna have to stand around leaving empty handed...so I'll tell you what. Give me your daughter. I'll return her back to you when the guns come in. Very simple exchange.”

    “My daughter! You can't have her! She's only 21 please Carlito come on!”

    “Psh she's legal, doesn't matter to me really. She dies if I don't get my shit. Now where the hell is little Brittany at? She around here somewhere? Huh? You expecting her to come visit you right? And its   Monday...she always comes on Mondays.” Carlito hisses out digging the tip of his gun in the man's forehead.

    “How do you know that?” Freddy manages to whisper out.

    “You're not the only one that studies out their enemy.” Carlito grabs the man's neck pinning him to the wall. “You got till eleven tonight...other wise that blonde bitch gets a new hole in her body.”

    The back door opens quietly as a rather lean golden hair woman walks into the store looking for her father. “Dad?” She calls out sweetly humming walking in seeing her father pinned against the wall. “Oh my god! Don't kill him you fucker!” She screams out dropping her hand bag rushing over to her father.

    Chuckling softly to see the woman grab a hold of Carlito's arm, he twist his arm around grabbing her flinging her behind him turning to fire his gun at her leg. Screaming at the sudden impact, Brittany stumbles back resting her hands on her knee where already her nice light blue skinny jeans were starting to change a crimson color around her wound.

    “You ass hole what are you doing?!” Freddy manages a swing but instead gets held back by Manny the owner pinning his hands behind him.

    “Work it out Freddy...I'm in no happy mood here see you at Eleven.” And snatching up Brittany: he carries the screaming fighting woman in his arms.

    “Wait wait! Where are you taking her?! I didn't say this was part of the plans here! I can get it for you Carlito wait!” Freddy shrieks out horrified at the possible results of this.

    Carlito leaves the store through the back exit as Brittany screams out her last words: “HELP ME!” Before a sound of a gun goes off again silencing the screams for good.
~*~

    Jay glances at the mirror one more time adjusting his black news boy cap over his head.  Draping the leather jacket over himself he looks over his outfit one more time hoping to be more convincing. With a gun tucked and hidden out of view in his socks, he was ready to find Carlito. He heard earlier today there was a murder at Manny's deli. A young causacian woman was found dead lying over the hood of a car with her head blown off. Police concluded it was the work of the mafia. Her style of death could only be done with the exectioner knowing how to send out a signal to others. The bullet was jarred between the mass of hair and the skull and when the cops find her body there was a message with her lipstick smeared over her cheek: the words “Rey” scrolled on it.

    “You ready?” Mekhi calls out from the living room already dressed down in a pair of jeans, timbs and baseball hat. He already had a bullet proof vest under his wool sweater.

    “Yeah let's go. Listen if you wanna bail out at any time just let me know alright?” Jay exhales joining his partner outside to a rented silver jag.

    “Now why would I go and do something like that? We about to make some history. I gotta be up at the front line of this.” Mekhi hands Jay a small revolver opening up the doors of the car.

    “Cause I know some guys get weak stomachs with stuff like this.” Jay slides into the passenger seat closing the door behind him as he hears Mekhi burst out a laugh from that.

    “Yo...you know how long I've been doing this business? Blood and bodies aren't a new thing for me. Trust me. This is just another case of a family gone berserk. I heard the mother of that young man is trying to start up some crazy hooker business. There are already whores standing around at the street  corners trying to make a living.

    “Okay you know what...that just pisses me off. Why can't we have a nice neighborhood? That's all I'm asking for. Now we have young women throwing away their futures for a quick buck using their bodies in ways that should be cherished. I don't get it...” Jay breaths out sitting back in his seat.

    “A man with a conscious that's a rare thing. But let's keep it real...people want the easy way out and some think that's the way to go.” Mekhi starts up the car as it roars to life, the car smelling brand new as he pulls it on the street.

    “Guess I'm a rare one then.” He shrugs watching the passing buildings in a blur.

    “Why did you wait so long to try?” Mekhi whispers out his eyes focus on the road.

    “Because I needed time. Time to figure out if this was what I really wanted to do.” Carlito drums his fingers on the console.

    “Just glad you down with it this time. Carlito and his crew have been giving Spanish Harlem a taste of blood for a while.” Mekhi turns the car down Lexington avenue heading up to harlem.

    Glancing down the blurred blocks as they ease their way up to harlem reaching the well known mafia terroritory, Jay looks over at the aveunues passing 125th street. “If things go bad in this case...I need you to do me a favor Mekhi.”

    “Shut the hell up you ain't going no where.” Mekhi smirks glancing at him.

    “Just listen to me you ass. If shit goes awry I need you to go tell my family.”

    “I ain't telling your family nothing cause you gonna be fine. Stop talking shit and get your hand out of your ass.” Mekhi states “And that's the end of this convo. So how you gonna go and find Carlito?”

    “Carlito has business hours right now.” Eli states from the backseat. “He normally heads to 109th where the deli's are. A lot of stuff happens behind close doors.”

    Turning his head back, Jay raises his eyebrows “What kind of stuff aside from the trading?”

    “Women...they bring in women too you know. Get a lot of attractive women all lined up ready to sell them to highest bidder. Carlito tends to runs those things underground.”

    “You ever bought anyone?” Carlito breaths out sitting up in his seat checking the bullets in his other gun.

    “Nope just was a witness to it. The women though...I feel bad for them. They don't know what is happening. They're brought in blindfolded and their mouths are gagged. Many of them as young as 18 years old.”

    “I thought they cleaned up that act years ago?” Mekhi frowns slowing down at 103rd street.

    “They did but when Paulito was killed off it left a huge gap till his son grew up. I think Carlito is around 33 years old now. That fucker is insane though. I think him losing his dad made him crazy. He's about the sex and women now. And I heard one day he killed a guy just cause he looked at his woman.” Eli points out playing with the seatbelt.

    “He sounds like a great guy then.” Jay snorts shaking his head feeling the car stop parked down from a grocery store.
   
    “K...from now on. I'm using disponsible cells so I can't be traced back in regards to the mafia members. I can't afford to have to get tracked down, it'll mean my life. Second, I can't have you guys around me unless I call you. If you don't hear from me its either cause I can't get a chance to or I'm dead. If its 48 hours and you don't hear from me chances are they killed me. They're serious about their business and will kill anyone that stands in their way. Its a small group of them I counted last that about   five main members in that group. You thought the russian mafia was deadly you haven't seen how these fucks do it.” Jay looks over at them smiling “Wish me luck guys.”

    Mekhi gives his friend a soft fist punch as they part ways. Tugging on his paperboy hat, Jay glances back one more time at the car before he disappears down the block and away from their view.

    Heading past a video store he turns his back taking a step back to glance up at the street signs when he walks into someone. “Oh I'm sorry!” He turns around in time to see a latina glare at him.

    “Watch where you're walking!” The petite woman growls out adjusting her hand bag.

    “I will thanks.” Jay ready to step aside sees the woman beaming at him bursting out laughter.

    “Oh my god you don't remember me do you?” The brunette beams gazing at him.

    “Uhh...am I suppose to?”

    “Ouch k well anyways its me Reina! You remember me right? We went to college together...years ago but still.” She bounces from one foot to another as her eyes lit up at the instance recongization.

    “Reina...Reina...ooo damn yeah wow look at you. You all grown now!” Jay chuckles extending his hand to her. Getting his hand smacked away he looks startled before he felt her arms wrap around him in a hug.

    “Gimme a hug you fool its been too long!” Reina giggles.

    “Def too long. You work around this area?” Jay grins glad to see a familiar face around town. Wrapping his arms around her holding her for a moment he chuckles at her small self. She always did have a mouth on her and even now that didn't change. IThey were close friends during college but as time goes he ended up losing touch with her. While they never dated there was definitely attraction there.

    “Uh..no I live around here. I just came back from work. Work in Brooklyn...trying to get the hell out of there if you ask me.” She grins wrapping her arm around his. “And how is the family?”

    “Good..my mom got a bakery thing happening. She has people from all over wanting to put her in a catering service which makes her happy. And hey if she's smiling then I'm good.” Jay starts walking along with Reina.

    “Cool. So hey we should exchange numbers so we can hang later.” She stands before the man her lips curve into a beautiful smile.

    “Ah...k well then dial your number here.” He slides his phone to her as she dials it smiling.

    “Call me and I'll have yours.” She grins pushing the call button on his phone as her phone lits up to pitbull's 'I know you want me.'

    “Ha...really? That song?”

    “Hey don't knock the beat I think its nice.” She sticks her tongue out giggling.

    “I was gonna ask...you uhh notice anything crazy, like violence and stuff around here more often?” Jay asks nonchantely gazing all around the street and down the block.

    “What do you mean?” She asks quizzily. “I mean besides the regular gun shots in the night when I go to bed and the secret words use for drugs at the grocery stores...nope.”

    “Ah k well I was hearing some craziness a mafia...the spanish mafia living and doing their business here.”

    “Heh...spanish mafia? Haha what do they do, speak spanish and walk around with guns?” Reina snickers shaking her head as she yelps getting a pinch on her arm from him. “Excuse you?! I'm fragile here.”

    Jay smiles holding her arms focusing on her. “I'm asking cause they been in the papers for the past five years...I thought you would have heard this is a dangerous area thats all.”

    “Blah anywhere is dangerous. Crimes happen a lot in the day too.”

    “Which is why I was asking. I wouldn't want to read in the papers something could have harmed you.” Jay licks his lips gently resting a hand on her back guiding her down the block.

    “I'm a lot stronger than you think. Besides all that mafia bull isn't true. If there was a mafia here I think half of the latinos here would have been trying to get recruited.” Adjusting her handbag she smirks at him.

    “Heh true...ever heard of that guy...the leader...”

    “Carlito?”

    “Ha so you do know!?” Jay snaps his fingers getting a eye roll from her.

    “Ugh as much as I try not to that's all I ever hear around here. Look I don't know anything about that mafia stuff but I heard a lot of crazy shit from that Carlito guy...I met him you know? He's hot...” She giggles breathing out.

    “Ah that's nice. So anyway I wanna be a part of that.” He grins getting her head to snap back glaring at him.

    “Why the hell would you wanna do that? That's insane to wanna be a part of something that sick. Look I don't really read any mafia stuff but I know its far worse than trying to get into a gang. Those people kill for real. I mean I heard some stuff that they even kill women and children. I'm sorry I can't respect people that would even lift a finger to someone that is weaker than them to make a point.” She crosses her arms shaking her head. “And if you think joining that is gonna make you better you're off your rocker homie.”

    Jay stares at her taking her hand. “I respect your views but you gotta understand them more. They're not about killing, killing shows up when there is a reason to. Its not like they walk around shooting at anyone. I wanna join them...and I know its crazy. You have no idea  how much this would mean to me...”

    “Why? Why would joining that prove something to you? Do you understand the lives that were lost cause they are quick to kill?”

    “Its just business. And its not all that bad I mean come on if they were all about killing half of their own people wouldn't be surviving as we speak.”

    Grunting, she rolls her eyes “Alot of us make tons of babies so we wouldn't die so fast.”

    “I think we're a little better than roaches the way you making it sound.” Jay eyes her reaching the end of the block.
   
    “Whatever Jay...do what you want. But its sad if you go into that. You could be better than that. I know it.” Reina shakes her head disappointed, walking away without even saying a bye.

    “Reina...please I'll call you tonight. Let's hang out tommorrow. I don't want this to be the way you think of me.”

    Shrugging her shoulders, she gazes over at him. “I guess...call me we'll work something out tonight.” And walking away, she crosses down the street turning a corner disappearing.

    Breathing out, he shakes his head walking down the block watching a man dressed in loose fitting jeans and a nice blue polo shirt with a new york yankee hat wide rimmed selling cds in his hands. Pausing before the man, he looks over to see the cd.

    “What kind of music is it?” Jay point out as the man breaks into a smile.

    “Glad you asked. I've been writing up some raps and threw down the sickest beats. It be nice if you check it out and give me your opinion. Its just five bucks my man.”

    “Five? What if I don't like it though and I pay for it?”

    “Trust..this is good.” The man states raising his eyebrows at him. 

    “K...and your name?”

    “Miquel. What's good?”
   
    “K then...I'll throw down on this.” And pulling out a five handing it to Miquel he grabs the cd gazing at it nodding his head.

    “Best five dollars you invested. A man gotta make a living.” Miquel rest a fresh batch of cd's out of his backpack on the small table besides him. “Get the hottest shit around!” Miquel continues his selling tactics waving his album in the air.

    Glancing at the cd cover it was plain with the man's name scrolled. Miquel's phone number was listed on the cover paper.  Except something stood out at the cover album:  Right by the corner of the actual cd is an imprint of a sketched out lion: the symbol of Los Liberdoeres. “Heh....interesting....” Jay looks back at the man snapping a photo of his profile in his cell walking away. “Miquel...looks like you and I are gonna be good friends after all...”
                                                    ~**~