- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

What do you think Gillian's going to do?  :)

 

Whatever It Takes

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 30

 

            Jon goes back to New York the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  While Nick takes him to the airport, Gillian and I talk about what's next. She says, "What's going on with the other guys and the baby?"

            I say, "Nothing's changed. They all agreed that no matter who turns out to be the father, they want to let Nick and I raise her as ours. Nick's will be on the birth certificate."

            She whistles and says, "Well, that's big of them. I'd think at least Donnie would want his kid."

            Her attitude is kind of pissing me off. I say, "It was his idea, Gilly. He and the other are just looking to let things die. God knows I want them too. I'm still blown away that Nick loves me."

            She says quietly, "What's not to love? You're perfect."

            Her remark is so odd, I have to stop and think for a minute. Finally, I say, "What do you mean, Gilly? I am FAR from perfect."

            She says, "I just mean I know the type of person you are. Any of them would be lucky to have you. Nick was the luckiest cause he got your heart along with the rest of you."

            Even though I'm far from graceful, I manage to stand and say, "What in the world has gotten into you, Gilly? Having fun being cruel today?"

            I walk away, thoroughly pissed at how mine and Nick's love seems to be a big joke to her.  When I hear her follow me into the kitchen, I ignore her, intent on making lunch.  She says, "I'm sorry, Tess."

            I turn to face her and say, "I've never known you to be so mean, Gillian. Even on your worst day. What's wrong?"

            She says, "I want you to come home.  You don't belong here. You belong in Cali. With me."

            I say, "I belong with Nick, Gillian. I love him. I miss you too, but I'm supposed to be with him."

            She scares me when she screams, "NO! You're supposed to be with me! He can't have you Tessa. You're mine! I love you!"

            Trying to ease as far away from her as I can, I say, "Gillian, I love you too. You're my best friend. But...we talked about this. I...want to be with Nick."

            She picks up a vase of flowers off the table and hurls it across the room. "NO! You're going to be with me. NOW!"

            I try to slip out the door, but she grabs a butcher knife from the butcher's block and says, "Where do you think you're going?"

            By now, Arianne is doing cartwheels in my stomach and it's all I can do to keep my wits about me. I say, "Gillian, you're scaring me."

            Her face instantly softens and she says, "I don't want to scare you, Tess. I love you. I want to take care of you."

I say, "I have to go to the bathroom, Gilly. I'll be back." I keep moving, hoping she'll let me go.

She stops me and says, "I'm not stupid, Tess. You want to call him. Well it's not going to happen. That prick is never going to touch you again. No MAN will ever touch you again. You deserve better!"

I say, "Seriously, Gilly, I have to go to the bathroom, then we'll talk about this, ok?"

She smirks and follows me, the knife still gripped in her hand. She says, "I'll just come with you."

She follows me to mine and Nick's room. I go into the bathroom and start to push the door shut.  She puts her hand on it and says, "Nuh huh...no can do, my love. Leave the door open. I want to watch.  I want to listen."

Fear grips my soul. I say, "Gilly, I'm not...I can't do that. I just need a little privacy."

Gillian says, "Give me your phone."

I bluff and say, "It's down stairs Gilly. In the office. This will only take a minute."

I try to push the door shut again and she says, "NO! Don't close it. Just do what you have to and let's GO!"

I quickly use the bathroom, keep my eye on the door. Luckily, she doesn't come in, but with her holding that knife, I know there's no way I can call Nick. I take out my phone and send him a text. It says, "HELP!"

When I walk out of the bathroom, Gillian says, "You ready, Baby? We've got a long drive ahead of us."

I say, "Gillian, I don't want to go with you." She steps closer to me, thrusting the knife at me. I instinctively cover my stomach and scream, "Gilly, PLEASE!"

            She stops, seeing my fear, and says, "Then STOP saying you don't want to go with me. We've always been together and we always will be. You never noticed how much I loved you, did you? No, you were too wrapped up in all those MEN!"

            I say, "Gillian, I never knew...I do love you, but not like that. You're like a sister to me Gilly!"

            She slices her arms through the air and screams, "NO! I don't want to be your sister! I want you! I want you to love me like I love you. I want to be with you! Tessa, Baby, I need you."

            I feel heat spread across my abdomen. I look down to see blood oozing from a cut just above my belly button. I drop to my knees and whisper, "Gilly...my baby."

            As I sink to the floor, I hear Gillian scream, "Tessa? Tessa, what happened? Why are you bleeding? TESSA!!!"

            I close my eyes and pray. "Dear God, Please don't take my baby!"

            In the distance I hear sirens. I pray it's Nick coming.  Gillian says, "NO! Not yet. We have to get out of here. Come on Tessa, get up!"

            I say, "Gillian, I can't. I'm bleeding. I have to go to the hospital."

            She says, "Bleeding? Why are you bleeding? Is it the baby?"

            I find the courage to open my eyes and say, "Why Gillian? Why did you do this to me?"

            I watch as she pushes away from the floor and runs. I close my eyes again, feeling faint.  I hear the front door crash and I pray it's Nick with help. I hear him scream and my heart swells.  Just as I'm slipping away from consciousness, I hear him say, "Tessa, Baby, it's ok. I'm here." He grips my hand and I know I'm gonna be ok.

 

            When I wake up, a paramedic is looking at the cut on my stomach and Nick is right there with me. When he sees my eyes open, he says, "It's not bad, Tessa. It's ok."

            The paramedic says, "Yeah, I don't even think you need to go to the ER, but considering your pregnancy, maybe we should get you checked out."

            I turn to Nick and say, "Gillian? Where is she?"

            Nick says, "I don't know, Tessa. I haven't seen her.  No one else is here. Who did this?"

            Acutely aware the paramedic is listening, I say, "Nick, can you take me to the hospital instead of the ambulance?"

            He must be a mind reader because he says, "Sure. I can." He turns away to the policeman standing close by and says, "I know you want to interview her, but I need to take her to the hospital. Can you meet us there or wait till we get back?"

            The policeman says, "We really need to know who we're looking for. Ms. Noel, do you have any idea who did this to you?"

            I lower my eyes and say, "Gillian Collins."

            I look up to find Nick staring at me intently. I bite my lip to keep it from quivering. He pulls me into his arms and whispers, "Baby..."

            The policeman says, "Go ahead and take her to the hospital. I'll come and get the statement when you're finished."

            Once we're in the car, I fall apart. Nick holds my hand and says, "Gillian did this? WHY?"

            I sniffle and say, "She's...Nick she thinks she's in love. With ME!" She was trying to make me go back to Cali with her.  I don't think she meant to cut me, but...Nick, she's gone off the deep end. She says I should be with her, not you."

            He squeezes my thigh and says, "I never...wow. Jon told me to keep an eye on her. Sweetheart, I should have taken you with me to the airport."

            I say, "Don't. It's not your fault. I wanted to spend time with her." Taking a deep breath, I say, "Nick, how did I not see this? She said she's loved me since we've been friends.  That's almost fifteen years. How could I not see?"

            He says, "Obviously she didn't want you too."  Silence envelopes us as I think about Gillian and all she's meant to me.  Tears still creep down my face. Nick says, "Baby, what can I do?"

            Covering his hand with mine, I whisper, "Stay with me."

 

            After the baby is checked out and I'm assured the cut on my stomach is little more than a scratch, I wait in the exam room for the cop to come in to interview me. When he asks for details, I can barely raise my voice above a whisper to tell him what happened.  He had asked Nick to leave, thinking it would be easier for me to talk alone.  But it's not. I need Nick.  I need him to tell me everything's going to be ok.

            When I finish my story, the policeman says, "Ms. Noel, I know this is extremely hard, but your friend sounds like she's unbalanced.  And until we catch her, she's a danger to you and your family. Would you like police protection?"

            I feel confused.  Tears well up in my eyes and I say, "I don't know.  I need to talk to Nick about it."

            He says, "We'll keep someone outside your place until you decide.  You can call me if you have any questions or if you hear from Ms. Collins."

            I finally look up and say, "I will. Have you ever...seen this before?"

            He says, "Honestly, no.  But Franklin is small compared to LA. I'm sure it happens a lot." Before he opens the door, he says, "Can we get a picture of Ms. Collins from you?"

            I nod and say, "On my phone.  I think it's at home."

            He says, "OK, my cell phone number is on my card.  You can text it to me when you get back and I'll make sure my officers all have it."

            I lower my eyes and say, "Thank you."

            He says, "Ms. Noel, I know you love your friend. But she needs help. She won't get help unless we catch her. I promise we're not going to hurt her."

            I try to give him a watery smile and say, "Thank you for that."

 

            After he leaves, Nick comes back in and says, "You ok, Tessa?" I nod, not speaking. He says, "Tell me what happened."

            With my heart stuck in my throat, I say, "She's...she lost it Nick. How could I not see this? She was so hurt when I said I wanted to be with you. She didn't mean to hurt me Nick."

            He says, "Shh, Tessa, stop. I know she didn't. She's sick and needs help and when they catch her, I'll make sure she gets that help. I know you love her, Sweetheart."

            When we get back to the house, I sit and stare at it. Cops are still swarming around the yard, and inside too.  I sigh and say, "Nick, the police want to know if I need protection from them. I didn't know what to say."

            He says, "Don't worry about it. I have a great security team. The police can spend their time protecting everyone else. It's my job to protect you."

            When he helps me out of the car, I hug him and say, "I love you Nick. I feel safe with you."

            He kisses the top of my head and says, "You are safe."

 

            Some three hours later, after the cops have gone and Nick's security team is in place, he finds me standing on the back patio crying.  Hugging me close, he says, "You're gonna get sick out here, Tessa, it's freezing. Come inside."

            I ball his shirt up in my fist and cry, "I can't Nick. I can't stay here now after what happened. Every time I close my eyes..."

            He rubs my back and says, "Shh, it's ok. We can go somewhere for a few days. Until you're stronger...Baby, please don't cry."

            I sniffle and say, "I'm so worried about her Nick. What if she gets hurt?"

            He says, "She won't, Sweetheart. I promise, we'll take care of her. Now...want to stay at a hotel?"

            I sigh and say, "No. All we need is a fan seeing you at a hotel in your own hometown. I'll be ok."

            He says, "How about this: Brian and Carrie have been asking us to visit. Why don't we go to Atlanta for a few days?"

            I sniffle and say, "I'd like that, I think. I want to...I want to forget what happened on the ship and be friends with your friends. I know I'm going to be around them, and well..."

            He rubs my back and says, "That's all they want. To welcome you into our family and put the past behind us."

            I close my eyes and say, "I want that more than anything."

            He says, "Why don't you go pack for us both and I'll call Brian?"

            Once we're inside, I turn to face him. Looking up into his blue eyes, I whisper, "I love you, Nick."

            He leans down and kisses me. When our lips part, he says, "I love you too, Tessa. Always."

 

Chapter End Notes:

Love to hear your thoughts! :)