- Text Size +
“Did you hear your daughter Steve?” Connie accosted him in the front hall after Brian had left them.

“Yes. And it’s about time Connie. She’s a grown woman. She shouldn’t have to answer to you any longer.”

Her mouth gaped in astonishment at her husband’s remark. “ How could you do this to me? That boy is gonna take what he wants and leave her with a broken heart.”

“You can’t protect her forever if you want her to have a full life. Or do you not want her to? Is that what this is really all about? Your daughter finally brings home a good and decent man and all you can think about is the guy that stood you up for Prom all those years ago. I love you Constance but let go dammit!”

“The boy has been married twice Steven! This is our child.” She reduced her tone when she noticed Brian coming toward them. She didn’t even notice the remaining luggage sitting in the foyer.

“Excuse me ma’am,” Brian lifted the suitcase but turned back to her mother.” And I’ve only been married once Mrs. Nelson. The second one left me standing at the altar for a celebrity with more notoriety than me. I love your daughter with all my heart and I intend to do so every day for the rest of my life.”

“ You don’t know my daughter like I do.”

“With all due respect, I don’t think you know your daughter at all. You stripped her of having all those things teenage girls dream of doing because…..well, you’re the only one that knows that answer.”

“I think you need to show some respect young man.”

“I’m a grown man Mrs. Nelson and if I wasn’t showing you any respect , I’d tell you what a lousy mother I think you are for not sharing with your daughter all the wonderful things that happen in her life. Even attempting to be happy for her would be a stretch I’m thinking.”

“So share with me all these wonderful things in Maggie’s life Mr. Littrell,” she replied; crossing her arms over her chest judgmentally.

“Did you know she won an award for her story time corner with the children at the library?”

“From the children?” She scoffed.

“Would that really be so horrible if she had? Those children are learning something from her. Despite all your efforts to harden her heart, she’s got the biggest one in the world. You just let her believe she shouldn’t share it with anybody.”

“You know nothing of Maggie’s childhood.”

“I know you were reluctant to let her go out into the world like you did her brother. I know you stifled her attempt to sneak out on Prom night. You wouldn’t even let her go on group dates.”

“Children lie to get out of the house at that age.”

“And you didn’t? Is that why you held her back? Never let her go?”

“You have no right to pass judgment on me.”

“You’re right . I don’t but I do know your daughter grew into a kind and generous woman and one I’d like to spend the rest of my life with.” No wonder Maggie despised her mother. No amount of convincing made his opinion or even her husband’s right for that matter. And her husband just stood back and let him speak his peace. Her dad was human. He wasn’t sure what he saw in Maggie’s mom but she must have a heart in there somewhere.

“May I have a word with you young man? “Steve finally spoke up and gave him a stern look.

Shit! Her mother just smirked.

“Let’s step out onto the porch shall we?”

Brian nodded nervously and followed him outside. He turned once Brian was outside.” I don’t agree with a lot of what my wife does or says where it concerns Maggie but I just need to know one thing from you.”

“Yes sir?”

“Did you mean what you said in there about spending the rest of your life with my daughter?”

“Yes I did sir. I was going to ask you properly for her hand but since the cat’s out of the bag…I would really like to have your blessing. Yours and her mother’s.”

“You have mine. Let me worry about my wife. You stay right here.” He opened the door and called for Maggie.

“Yes Daddy?” Maggie smiled sweetly as she appeared on the front porch.

“This young man just asked me for your hand. Are you going to do him the honor?”

She looked to Brian then to her father. She was so excited she didn’t know which one to throw affection at first. “Do you really mean it Daddy?”

“You have my blessing.”

“Oh Daddy! Yes!” She flung her arms around her father’s neck and he chuckled.

“Don’t think I don’t love all this affection but I think the young man you should be focused on is patiently waiting for your answer.”

She turned to Brian and answered him.” The answer is yes. Yes! Yes I will.”

“Will what?” Her mother chose to join them at that exact moment. Was it possible to even have one moment of happiness to herself?