- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:



I do apologize for taking so long to update. You know that funny lil thing called life temporarily kidnapped my muse but here you go. Enjoy!


Maggie and Brian were having lunch the following Wednesday when he said,” Would you let me buy you dinner tonight?”

“I let you buy me dinner all the time,” she teased as she popped a grape in her mouth.

He chuckled. “So what about tonight?”

She scooted closer and grabbed a grape. “Tonight, “ she held the grape between her teeth so he could grab the other end and kiss her. “Is book club.” Pulling away but not before removing the juice from his chin.

“Angel, you’re killing me here.”

“Isn’t that the idea?” She grinned as leaned her chin on her hand.

He leaned in and brushed his lips against hers. “You think you’re pretty smart don’t you?”

“I know I am.” She kissed him softly. She found the more they kissed in public, the less inhibited she felt about it. They were in love. They should be showing some affection other than just hand holding and smiling goofily at one another.

“Are you sure I can’t persuade you to have dinner with me tonight? We could take a swim.” He raised his brow suggestively.

“As tempting as that is, I do have to have some girl time you know.”

“Okay. I give. You know I’m still worried about you.”

“I know and I’m going to be fine. I can’t change her so I’m just learning to live with that fact and move on. “ She was still dealing with the fact that she had a brother, well a half –brother she guessed and wasn’t sure she should go looking for him. Yet at the same time, her curiosity was getting the better of her. She already had a brother but for all the time they spent together, she could hardly call their relationship close.

“Okay princess but I still get Friday nights right?”

“Friday nights and coffee every morning.” She kissed him.” I do have to get back to work. Don’t want to ruin my perfect record of being on time at least.”

“I’ll miss you.” He took her hands and gently pressed his lips to the back of one.

“And I’ll miss you. Love you,” She replied and kissed him one last time before returning to work.



That same evening, Deidre was the first to arrive. She was admiring the vase of peach roses that had arrived shortly after Maggie got home. The knock on the door ended her love affair with the beautiful arrangement and she answered the door while Maggie finished the veggie tray she was working on.

“Wow,” Camille remarked as she sat her purse on the counter and admired the large bouquet of peach roses adorned with baby’s breath. “What’d loverboy do to get in the doghouse now?”

“Nothing! You guys are way too suspicious.”

“With good reason.”

“Hold that thought,” Maggie replied as she went to answer the door. “Hey Jaz! How’s it going?”

“Apparently not as well as it is for you lady. What’d you do to get those flowers?”

“Why is everybody so suspicious of my boyfriend?”

“Because a little bird told me you ran into Chris and his fiancé at the airport Sunday night,” Camille answered.

“You mean Can’t Miss Chris?” Jaz and Deidre replied in unison.

“How’d you know?” Maggie said.

“He called me yesterday and said your little man was none too pleased with the reunion,"Camille responded.

“Well he was a little jealous. He even admitted to it when we got home."

“Did you get freaky that night too?” De grinned

“Not that it’s any of your business but yeah we did.” Maggie blushed.

“Boyfriend is marking his territory in no uncertain terms Mags, “ Camille informed her.

“Nunh uh, “ Maggie shook her head negatively.

“Mags, Chris had the hots for you. Why else do you think he gave up all those ‘sure things’ he could have had to study with you five nights a week?”

Maggie looked between the three of them and they all nodded in agreement.


“Brian was a little possessive at the airport.”

“Well is Chris still tall, blond and gorgeous?” Jasmine said.

“Yeah but he’s not my type.”

“He’s every girl’s type Maggie. We just don’t know until it’s too late,” Deidre responded and took a sip of wine.

Maggie almost dropped the bottle of wine she had in her hand. She may be a little naïve but there was no mistaking that response. Deidre had been with Chris. Had the other two? “So what about you two? Did he miss with either of you?”

Jasmine bit her lip and Camille held her hands up in defense. “I guess Chris did miss with a couple of us after all.”

“So how was he?”

Jasmine’s jawed dropped right along with Deidre’s and Camille laughed then said,” You act like Maggie never thought of sex before Brian came along. She just wasn’t as vocal as the rest of us.”

“Thank you Cam. So?” Maggie raised her brows inquisitively.

“He wasn’t the worst I’ve ever had,” Deidre responded.

“You lie! That boy has a God given talent for….well…” Jasmine trailed off.

“Screwing? Fucking?” Maggie finished.

“Okay, where is Maggie?”

“Seriously?! I’m not allowed to say one curse word in my life?”

“It just sounds weird coming from you Mags. That’s all.”

“So does Brian ever talk dirty when you guys, y’know?” Deidre grinned.

“Can we talk about something else?” Maggie attempted to change the subject.

“Ohmigod! He does!” Camille stated with confidence.

“Stop it!” Maggie blushed again.

“Maggie we grew up listening to the Backstreet Boys and Brian was better known as the saint of the group.”

“Well now we know he kneels to worship at the altar of Maggie,” Jasmine teased.

Maggie groaned.

“You started it with the Chris thing,” Deidre noted.

“Fine.”

“So how’d things go this weekend with your parents? More like Mommie dearest,” Camille changed the subject.

“I don’t have a mother.”

“That good huh?”

“My mother is the daughter of Satan.”

“It can’t be that bad Maggie.”

“You know why my mother held me captive all those years? It was because she got knocked up at the age of seventeen by a boy in a local band and gave up her child for adoption.”

“Does your Dad know?”

“Yeah he does. My mom never bothered to look for her son when he was old enough.”

“Why?” Deidre inquired.

“Because she never cared about me, why would she care about the real firstborn? No wonder she hated me. I was the middle child.”

“Mags, we understand if you’d rather not talk about it,” Camille said.

“It’s okay. She may not love me but I know the people that do and that’s all that matters.” Maggie wiped the tears starting to fall away.

“Damn straight we love you Maggie! You’re the best,” Deidre reached across the counter and squeezed Maggie’s hand.

“Through thick and thin Mags, we got your back,” Jasmine agreed.

“Thanks you guys. I don’t know how I would have made it all these years without you,” Maggie said.

“Right back atcha girl,” Camille smiled.

“So are you gonna see if you can find your brother?” Deidre said.

“I’m thinking about it,” Maggie replied. Her mother may be a spiteful woman but her father still loved her and she had great friends. Most of all, she had Brian. She was going to make it.