- Text Size +

 

As soon as Alice finished, both of them went to a bar to celebrate. Alice was radiant and she barely thought of nick. She was too happy doing shots with Mark and telling him all about how she felt up there on the little stage she was.

“I’m so glad you did it, Ali! I knew you’d do great!”

“Oh, Mark! I’m so happy too! I was a little scared at first. It was so strange. But as soon as I started talking and I saw you there smiling at me I felt as if I belonged there, you know?! It was magical!”

“It sure was! You rocked, Ali!” they toasted one more time and downed their drinks at once. Mark pulled Alice into a hug. Their faces were so close and their eyes met. She was vulnerable because of Nick being away and now the lectures and Mark knew about it all. He had her where he wanted. He kept her close for a few seconds, looking intently into her eyes. She couldn’t help looking back. They were so close that she could sense the heat coming from his body and his warm breath on her face.

Alice felt even more alive at that moment the rush of blood through her veins moved her and she closed her eyes letting him kiss her unthinkingly. He kissed her gently at first, and then broke apart, expecting her reaction. She was in a trance, enjoying the taste of his lips on hers. Mark didn’t think twice and kissed her again, a bit more fiercely this time and she responded to it.

When they broke apart, she felt ashamed and apologized.

“I’m so sorry, Mark. I guess I was carried away with everything that has happened today.”

“You don’t have to apologize, Ali. It was my fault, too. I’m sorry, too!” She nodded and lowered her head. “Let’s forget about it okay? Let’s pretend nothing happened. Is that okay with you?”

She nodded again and whispered “I’m sorry.”

The silence grew awkward between them. But both couldn’t stop thinking about that kiss. Alice couldn’t take that anymore and decided to go home.

“Let me walk you home, Ali, please. It’s the least I can do.” She looked away. “Please” he cooed. She consented and they headed to her place. At first, they were very quiet but soon they started chatting again.

As they reached the driveway to Alice’s house they stopped for a moment.

“Well, I guess that’s me!”

“Yeah… I’m sorry again for tonight and congrats on your great job as the new lecturer at UCLA!” Instinctively, Mark put his arms around Alice’s body and pulled her into a hug.

As soon as she felt his warmth again she felt the urge to taste his lips one more time. She held on to him tight, but pulled apart. She turned around and started unlocking the door. She held it open and he stepped in. Before she could close the door properly he had her in his arms again and kissed her passionately.