- Text Size +

“Are you hungry, baby? I’m starving!”

“Me too. Breakfast feels like hours ago,” she giggled.

“Well, it does, really! Let’s go downstairs and get us something to eat.”

They went to the kitchen and prepared something quickly. As soon as they finished, he ushered her to the couch and they settle together.

“I missed being like this with you, Nick.”

“Yeah, me too. I miss you every time I travel far away. I’ll start taking you with me everywhere!”

“That would be nice. If only I didn’t have a job…” she sighed.

“Well…” Both of them stopped talking for a few minutes. It was Nick who broke the silence.

“Baby, can I ask you something?

“Sure, what is it?”

“I don’t know how to say it and not make you break down again, but what happened while I was away? Why were you crying last night?” He felt the tension growing between them and her body stiffened in his arms.

She sat straight. “It’s nothing. I told you. I guess I just missed you too much.”She tried.

“Oh, come on, Ali. I know something is wrong. Why won’t you tell me? We’ve always had a great relationship, why can’t you trust me on this?”

She felt herself blushing. Nick was right. They never kept secrets from each other. But how would she tell him the truth? He would never forgive her.

“I’ve already said it’s nothing. Forget it, please!” She took the remote control and turned the tv on, trying to ignore Nick and his frustrated look.

He couldn’t understand why the attitude, but it only confirmed his suspicion that she’d done something she shouldn’t have. He thought of calling some of her friends, but then considered it too risky. Instead, he called Kimberly. However, all he could get from her was the same lame story.

Alice was distant and quiet all afternoon and even spent half the time locked in the bedroom. Nick was getting more and more frustrated, so he thought some time out would be good for him. He decided to call Luke and go for a walk, but as he picked up the phone he heard Alice’s voice.

“I don’t know what to do, Kim. I want to tell him but I can’t. I just don’t know what to say. I can’t simply say ‘Hey baby, while you were away I hooked up with someone else.’ He’s gonna kill me…”

Nick hang up the phone not believing what he’d just heard. ‘So that’s what she’s been hiding’, he thought. He felt his blood boiling. In a minute he had his car keys in his hands and banged the front door.