- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This first part is the actually dream. The next part is how I turned it into a short story. I really really would like reviews with your thoughts. Can this be improved, etc. Constructive critisism please!

            It was evening. We were sitting in the living room with the tv on, trying to relax when it happened. The dreaded siren went off. Once the siren sounded, you had to move as quickly as possible or else you would be captured and imprisoned by the enemy.

 

 

 

            I leapt to my feet grabbing a duffle bag. My mom got my grandma and my dad and they started for the hovercraft that was waiting for us. I grabbed what I could as we ran out. I was scared.

 

 

 

            “Please don’t let me see any bombing.” I begged as my dad started the hovercraft and we lifted off.

 

 

 

            Tears were in my eyes as we went up. I looked at the house I had lived in all my life and prayed that I would some day see it again and it wouldn’t be blown up by the enemy that was trying to take over the world.

 

 

 

            We flew away from Earth and headed to the emergency planet. I looked in the duffle bag. I had only managed to get a couple of pieces of clothing for us.

 

 

 

            “Darn! I forgot my cell phone charger!” I complained to my mom, Angela.

 

 

 

            “We will figure something out.” She promised as we landed on the new planet which would serve as our new home.

 

 

 

            I sighed holding the bag following them off the craft. This sad looking dreary place would be our new home. I got out my cell phone. The battery was full, for now. I text my boyfriend Justin.

 

 

 

            “Are you still on Earth?” I typed.

 

 

 

            “No, we got the Siren too. I just landed.” He replied.

 

 

 

I shot to my feet and ran out side. I ran to where the new comers were gathered and found him.

 

 

 

“Do you have a place to stay yet?” I asked after we hugged hello.

 

 

 

“No, I am not sure where my family is. Maybe still on Earth.” He said hoisting up his bag.

 

 

 

“You can stay with us for now then if you want.” I told him taking his hand and leading him to the house where my mom, grandma and dad were.

 

 

 

I explained to my mom that Justin didn’t have a place to stay and she said he was welcome with us.

 

 

 

I put him in a room and went outside with him.

 

“I can’t believe this is happening.” I told him staring at the people bustling about who were already there. “Home is gone, we have to start all over again.” I shook my head and sighed.

 

 

 

“We are going to be ok. The enemy can’t get us here.” Justin reassured me patting my knee.

 

 

 

“I have to go back home. There is so much I left behind that we have to get. My cell phone charger, my autograph collection. We need more clothes too.” I said giving him a sideways glance.

 

 

 

“It would be dangerous to go back.” He argued.

 

 

 

“That is a risk I have to take!” I shot back.

 

 

 

“Fine, we will go tomorrow.” He finally agreed.

 

 

 

I nodded and got up. It was time to find a job. You had to work fast and secure a job before more and more people got to the new planet. Justin and I split up to find jobs. I got one with an old lady. My job would be to read to her and I would be paid $1 an hour. It seemed like nothing but it was worth more on the new planet than it was on Earth. I felt slightly better having secured the job. I started right away and took my earnings to my mom that evening.

 

 

 

I did not tell her of the plans Justin and I had to return back to Earth to get more of our personal items. No need to worry her. The next morning, Justin and I secured a hovercraft for two people and flew back to Earth. My breath caught when we landed. There was my house, exactly the way we had left it. We entered the house slowly.

 

 

 

“We can’t take very long ok?” Justin told me in a soft voice.

 

 

 

I nodded and began to fill my duffle bag. First I grabbed my cell phone charger, then the binders that held my autograph collection, some clothes, some books and what I could.

 

 

 

“Geez, what is with you wanting your autographs so badly?” Justin asked after he saw me pack them.

 

 

 

“I worked hard to get these autographs, I am not about to let them get destroyed in a fire by the enemy. Besides, if worse comes to worse, I will sell them on the new planet to keep us from going hungry.” I told him a slight defensive tone was hard to hide.

 

 

 

“Anita, we better hurry.” He urged also packing some things. “We are staying too long.” He whispered urgently.

 

 

 

I grabbed a couple of more books, the ones that were autographed, figuring I could use them for my job.

 

 

 

“Ok, let’s go. We got what we could.” I answered right as a siren began to scream.

 

 

 

“Run!” Justin screamed and we ran for the hovercraft as the enemy started coming after us.

 

 

 

We lifted into the air racing to get away. I gripped my seat in utter terror as we flew up into the sky and into space.

 

 

 

“Hurry Justin!” I pleaded looking behind us as silver hovercrafts chased ours.

 

 

 

With a groan Justin stepped down harder on the pedal and shot us forward. Suddenly I felt a weird sensation, almost as if we had hit a rubber pad and we crossed into the line. I glanced back. The enemy was unable to cross into this section of space. We were safe. I breathed out shooting Justin a grateful look as we got to the new planet and landed.

 

 

 

Holding hands, we stepped inside the house and I began to unpack our prized possessions. Eating a meal with my family and Justin from the money I had earned, I silently thanked God that we were home and safe again. After we ate, Justin and I headed to work.

 

 

 

Time began to pass for us on the new planet. When we could, Justin and I snuck to Earth to our houses to get items from our Earth life for the new planet. Each time was a danger, but it was important to have things to survive with.

 

 

 

After a few months on the new planet, one of the guards that helped run the city called me into a room.

 

 

 

“Anita, we have some news for you.” He told me.

 

 

 

I was nervous. Maybe Justin and I were going to be in trouble for sneaking to Earth.

 

 

 

“The old lady you work for has passed away. Being as you worked for her and were like family, she named you in her will. You will be receiving one million dollars.” He informed me.

 

 

 

I gasped stunned. One million dollars was an unthinkable amount on the new planet. I could not believe my luck. My family would be able to live better than what we had been.

 

 

 

The guard placed a ribbon with a token around my neck.

 

“Due to the events that have happened, you are the new plants Princess, our future Queen.” He said.

 

 

 

I was speechless. I hurried home to share my news with my family. Justin, my mom, my grandma and my dad were already around the table ready for dinner.

 

 

 

“Mom! The old lady I worked for died! She left me one million dollars in her will and I am a Princess for this planet!” I exclaimed.

 

 

 

Everyone’s eyes grew big and they jumped out of their seats crowding around me all talking at once.

 

 

 

The next day, my uncle Paul, his wife Katharina and their kids, Cody, Tyler, and William were several people in front of me in the food line. I was talking to Justin.

 

 

 

“We can move into a bigger house, have more food, we don’t have to worry any more.” I was telling him.

 

 

 

“That is unbelievable!” He said with a laugh, giddy with excitement.

 

 

 

“You are coming with us.” My uncle Paul said pulling me forward to stand in line with the family, laughing.

 

 

 

One of my cousin’s Peter worked serving the food. I showed him the token around my neck.

 

 

 

“You can give my family food for a discount, I am the Princess and future Queen after all.” I told him

 

 

 

We were served and looked for the rest of my family to sit down. I set down my tray of food as Tyler and Cody took off running. I chased after them pushing through people. I wanted to laugh with the feeling of freedom even though I was worried.

 

 

 

“Guys wait! You can get hit by a car!” I shouted as my mom and Paul suddenly ran past me grabbing them.

 

 

 

“It is dangerous!” Paul scolded.

 

 

 

“That is why I was chasing them!” I told him as we walked out of breath back to the food area.

 

 

 

I sunk into a chair next to Justin, maybe on the new planet, things wouldn’t be so different I thought as we began to eat.