- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This story has been my baby for a few weeks. please give it a chance i promise i won't disappoint. :)

Author's Chapter Notes:


Midnight diamonds stud my heaven
Southwards burning like the jewels that eye your place
And the warm winds that embrace me
Just as surely kissed your face
Yet those miss you nights they're the longest
 
Miss You Nights; Westlife

 

I remember the day she left, it was the day that everything changed and our street in Dublin was never the same again. She changed all the boys in our street for the better, especially me. I don’t know why I let myself get so attached, I knew it would never last and she’d never truly love a guy like me. She was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen and the fact we grew up together made it hurt even more. I sat at my window for days after she left, hoping she’d come back realising she had made the wrong decision. I was hoping that she found playing Football in England to not be as fun as they had made it out to be when they scouted her. Now two years later I’m off to Leeds to play in the Leeds Youth Development Academy for Football. Part of me hopes I might run into her if I head to London for tournaments or camps but knowing my luck probably not.

 

You’re probably wondering whom the girl is that I’m talking about. Her name is Summer McFadden; we grew up together in Dublin going to day care, kindergarten, primary school and the first year of high school together. We played football together from the time we were four until we were twelve and they wouldn’t let her play with boys anymore even though she was just as good as them and we learnt how to play the piano together. We were best friends and so when we were fourteen I asked her out after a school dance where we both shared our first kiss with each other. We dated for six months before she announced she had been scouted by Liverpool Women’s Football Development Academy in London and she left with two weeks notice. I have the address of the Academy that she is at and I have written to her a few times, getting letters back but not saying too much. Each letter I sent her seemed like an essay. She promised she’d wait until she came back to Dublin and we could be together again… It’s been two years and she’s still not back and I have hardly heard for her in the past six months alone.

 

As I packed my football kit with training gear such as shirts, spare football boots and studs, keepers gloves, water bottles and shorts, my Mum knocked on the door.
“Nix, how far off being ready to go are you?”
“About fifteen minutes Mam, let me just pack my kit then I’ll bring my other bags down.”
“I can’t believe you go today.”
“Do you know if the McFadden’s are home?”
“I think so, I think I saw Lachlan in the front yard before.”
“I’m just going to go over there quickly and talk to Jess. I want to see if I can get Summer’s number.”
“Nix.”
“Mam, I’m allowed to be friends with the girl, especially if we’re both based in England now.”
“I just don’t want you getting hurt again.”
“I’ll be fine, I’m a big boy.”
“If you insist but I’m not going to be there to pick up the pieces Nicholas.”
“I know mam, I know.”

After I finished packing and taking my bags out to the car, I changed into my formal uniform for the Academy of a white collared shirt, a blue and yellow striped tie, a black blazer with the Leeds Crest and black suit pants and black dress shoes. I went downstairs to the kitchen where Mum was putting food for my car trip together. 

“Oh Nix you look so handsome.”
“Thanks Mam.”
“Can I get a photo?”
“No!”
“Nicholas come on. You look adorable plus it can replace that school photo of yours.”
“Oh fine but can you hurry up? I need to go round to the McFadden’s.”
“Okay. Give me two seconds and I’ll get the camera from the office.”

 

Mum took some snaps of me in my uniform, passed me the food she had prepared and hugged me tightly.
“I’ll miss you sweetheart.”
“I’ll miss you too Mam but I promise I’ll call as soon as I arrive and every day.”
“Good.” She replied as she kissed my cheek. “Go and get your father to come out and say goodbye. I think he’s watching the football.”
“Okay.”

 

I wandered into the TV room and saw my Dad sitting and watching Premier League on the TV.
“Pops, I’m going.”
“Oh already?
“Yeah I need to get over to Hollyhead by tonight seeing as I’m driving.”
“Are you sure you don’t want me to do the drive with you?”
“I’m sure. I need to do this on my own Pops. But thank you.”
“Okay. But you’re staying the night tonight in Hollyhead yes?”
“Yeah then I’ll keep driving to Leeds tomorrow.”
“Make sure you call.”
“Don’t worry I will. I already told Mam I would.”
“Good lad. Well I guess I’ll see you when I come down for your first tournament.”
“I hope so.”

 

I hugged my Dad tightly, we were really close and I could tell this was hard on him letting me go all the way to Leeds. Once I said my last goodbyes to Mum and Dad I got in my car and drove up to the McFadden’s house at the end of the street. I got out and knocked at the door. Lachlan, Summer’s older brother answered the door.
“Oh hey Nix, wow you look all dressed up. I heard you leave for England today. Congratulations.”
“Thanks.”
“What’s the reason for the visit?”
“I was wondering if I could have Summer’s number so I can arrange to catch up with her while I’m in England.”
“Oh yeah sure come on in. “

I spent five minutes at the McFadden’s, while Lachlan got the number for Summer and gave me the address of her boarding school if I wanted to take her out one weekend. I thanked Lachlan and drove off to the Ferry to take me over to Wales so I could start my drive to Leeds the next morning.

 

On the ferry ride over to Wales, I sat in my car and read my contract for Leeds, player manual, accommodation rules, school rules and subject selection and requirements for senior squad selection and youth squad selection. According to my forms I would be rooming with a guy from Australia, Harry Kewell. For schooling we had to go to The Grammar School at Leeds and complete four subjects three days a week. The list I had to pick from was; English, General Maths, Health and PE. French, Music, Drama, Business, Ancient History, Modern History, Literature, Religious Education (Catholic or Anglican), Art, Photography and Legal Studies. I had narrowed it down to English, Literature, HPE and Music.  For the Academy we had been given timetables with our specified training sessions along with the times we would have for school, study and social activities.  We had to spend six hours a day training four days a week. This was going to be a rude shock to my body but hey if I want to achieve my childhood dream I guess that’s what I have to do. I was a goal keeper so I had specialised training sessions that I had to attend.

 

When the ferry eventually arrived in Hollyhead, I made my way to a motel for the night. I was going to wake up at 4am to start the five hour journey to Leeds to be there in time for Orientation afternoon and to settle into my accommodation and get my school uniform and the like. When I settled into my motel room, I called Mam to let her know I was safe and then I decided I’d call Summer.

 

The phone rang three times then I heard her voice, “Hello Summer McFadden.”
“Summer, it’s Nicky Byrne.”
“Nix! Hey babe how are you?”
“I’m really good how are you?”
“I’m fantastic now I’ve heard from you. What’s happening?”
“Well I got accepted into the Leeds Youth Academy and I’m on my way there now.”
“So you’re in England.”
“Sure am!”
“Well I’m going to be in Leeds in two weeks time for a tournament so we’ll have to catch up then.”
“That sounds great, so have you got a boyfriend over here?”
“No, of course not. I promised I’d wait for you Nix and I have. Now we’re both in England we can give it a shot.”
“But you’re in London, I’m in Leeds.”
“It’s called weekends, holidays and tournaments Nix. I’m pretty sure you’ll come to London a fair bit. WE always have the Leeds boys around.”
“Oh really? That’s sweet. Are they nice guys?”
“They have huge egos, I wouldn’t be friends with any of them. I’m friends with a few of the Liverpool boys but yeah. Please just stay your lovely self.”
“I will. I’m not changing don’t worry. When have I ever changed?”
“Never, you’re always going to be my Nix.”
“Anyway, I had better go. I have to get up early to make it to the academy in time tomorrow.”
“Okay. Well call me when you get there and give me the number I can call you on.”
“I will. I’ll see you soon Sum. I missed you.”
“I missed you too Nix, more than you know.”

 

I sighed and hung up. I was actually shocked to hear that Summer hadn’t found herself someone in England. She’s absolutely gorgeous so I’m sure she would have turned down a few eligible Liverpool boys for me which I am completely surprised about.  I know I shouldn’t have doubted her about not seeing other people but I had a right to be worried. 

 

Chapter End Notes:

pretty please review x
i am also working on updates for my other stories on here. Uni has just been so hectic and i've been working on this fic since the idea popped into my head x