- Text Size +

The morning after, it was Nick the first to wake up.

 

It had always been like that, he never spent too much time in the bed of the daily lover, fearing that he would be asked to stay a little longer or, worse, to keep going and seeing each other. He never really cared before, a passionate night was the only thing that he searched for, an antidote for the loneliness and the emptiness, inside both his bed and his soul.

 

He had always been the one doing the chase, never the prey.

 

Right now, though, it didn’t matter anymore.

 

He was awake, yes, but that didn’t mean that he wanted or desired to walk away and turn into a shadow again. No, he was awake and all that he wanted was to lie there and watch the man still sleeping beside him. Truth was that he never had felt in peace with himself like he was feeling in that moment.

 

Things had changed. Above all, he had been changed. He was in love and he wasn’t afraid or terrified. And he owed all to Brian. Being with him, being in love with him, was like finally realizing that he was indeed alive, like there had been a curtain that had prevented the light to sweep in and shine, making everything and the world much brighter.

 

There was a peaceful silence in the room as the sunrays hit random spots of Brian’s body. There wasn’t a part of that body that he hadn’t caressed or touched. Or loved. Gosh, he loved every little and small detail, like that almost invisible mole situated in the center of his back. Still, Nick knew that there were a lot of things that he had to discover, there was still more that he had to learn and love about this guy that had totally changed his entire world. And, underneath everything, Nick couldn’t wait to search, touch and unveil what had been left unsaid and unseen.

 

H leaned over, leaving a butterfly kiss on Brian’s temple before getting up. He wasn’t going to run away, not anymore. But he could use those minutes to prepare a surprise breakfast.

 

 

 

 

 

*******

 

 

 

 

 

Brian woke up not longer after Nick, the light of the sun burning his skin.

 

For awhile, he just lied there with his eyes still closed, not ready yet to face the world. With a hand, he reached over only to find nothing more than the sensation of his sheets and blanket.

 

Frowning, his eyes opened a little to make sure that his touch hadn’t played a trick on him. No, there wasn’t no one in the bed aside him.

 

He didn’t panic, though. He didn’t worry about what that absence meant. He wasn’t afraid about Nick sneaking out like a thief with no words or a goodbye.

 

How could he do it after that night?

 

It hadn’t been only a mere physical connection. It went deeper than sex and bodies meeting and becoming one. Still, he could pinpoint exactly what changed as in a list of details and facts: he just felt safer and more secure about this relationship and it didn’t falter, even for a moment, his trust and faith in Nick. The fact that he came by to apologize meant much more than the hug or the slow movement of his arms. Lingering in the memories of the previous hours, Brian was sure that he had found a place where to belong: nowhere and nothing else than Nick’s arms.

 

Everything had been perfect but he knew there were so much more waiting for them.

 

The wind swept inside the room, bringing with it a sweet perfume of pancakes. His stomach, silent until that moment, chose to speak up and remind him that it was still waiting for something to eat. The decision made for him, Brian got up and looked around to find where Nick had thrown his pants then he softly padded towards the kitchen, where Nick was trying to make breakfast.

 

“Are you planning to make me sick so we could stay in all day?” He joked as he came closer to the boy. Nick turned around in surprise but quickly managed a big smile, that smile that belonged only to Brian.

 

“You’re very clever. How did you guess?”

 

“And I still haven’t got my coffee.” Brian replied back as he settled to start the first coffee of the day.

 

Suddenly, he found himself being held and turned around. Bodies closed, lips searching for each other and then sighing when they found themselves.

 

“Good morning” Nick breathed in the kiss. Brian smiled and Nick kept watching him thinking that he could get used to those mornings.

 

He was going to adore them just like he already adored Brian.