- Text Size +

 

Central Park always resembled a corner of paradise in the centre of the city, with its tall and big building that seemed to circle and circle the park like they wanted to protect it. It was like stepping in an alternate reality, where the hectic and chaotic activity was forbidden to stream along side with the path of grey and white gravel. The dichotomy between the city and the park was more evident with the coming of the summer, as the autumn colors made of orange, yellow and red left their power in benefit of the shining green and rainbow of petals.

In that particular afternoon, warm and scented with fruits growing on the branches, Nick and Brian had found a little spot hidden from the principal path: Nick had his back against a big and old cypress and there was an album full of drawings waiting to be ended and completed. Brian was lying against him, his head propped upon Nick’s tight and his eyes and attention were focused on the book in his hands. Even so often, Nick would reach over with the hand he wasn’t using to draw with and would let his fingers paint imaginary lines between Brian’s curls or following the line of the cheekbones.

They were comfortable in that position for hours, even if they didn’t speak to each other, just glad to be together and feel the other’s presence.

The chapter finished, Brian changed position to observe better Nick lost in his world of images and drawings. He loved watching him as he draw, he always thought that it was the perfect moment to probe without asking and learn something more about the man he came to love. In that moment, Nick looked truly happy, glad and in peace with the world around them. And that emotion was truly shared by him, Brian thought.

For the first time in a long long time, Brian was happy.

“Have you always dreamed about working with arts? - He found himself asking. There were still things, million things, that they didn’t know about each others, past decisions that had shaped them in the person they were. – When you were a child, who did you want to become?”

Nick placed down his album, a little smile twirling the corners of his lips. “No. I mean, I’ve always loved drawing but... at first, I wanted to be a doctor.” Nick answered with a laugh.

“A doctor?” Brian replied joining the laughter, remembering that day when Nick had cut one of his fingers and almost passed out for the sight of a single a small drop of blood.

“Yes, I know. It’s really funny because me and the medicine are like the opposite. But, you know, when you’re little you think that a white coat makes you more important. More noble.”

“What did you make change idea?”

“My father’s best friend was a surgeon so my dad arranged things to let me observe a surgery. I think that he knew that it wasn’t my aspiration but he knew that I wouldn’t accept if he just said that it wasn’t my path and didn’t allow me to pursue it. And... well, I resisted like five minutes before bolting out in search of the first bathroom available.”

“Poor baby.” Brian commented, ruffling Nick’s hair with an hand.

“When I went home, I was embarrassed and ashamed. Sad, too. I went straight to my room and put all those emotions in a picture. When I finished it, I felt immediately better. That was when I know that drawing and painting was my dream.”

“I wanted to be a professional basket player. – Brian said, naturally reminiscing the same episode of his life. – I was really good, I was the captain of my school team and we won the championship every year. During my senior year, a scout of one of the mayor team came to look for some player. I wanted so bad that scholarship even if... – He quickly dismissed the last sentence, leaving its end in the air. - ... He took me in a corner and said that I was good, yes, but I wasn’t tall enough to be a professional player.”

“That’s not cool!”

“Now I know that he was right but I was so devastated. So, soon after that talk, I went to the auditorium and pour everything in a song that I was writing. I don’t know how long I stayed there, I was exhausted but I’ve never felt better. That was when I realized that maybe I wasn’t fit to be a player but I wasn’t worthless. I had another gift and it was something that no one could take away from me.”

Nick took Brian’s hand and push the man closer to him, making him sitting on his lap. “Thank God we didn’t pursued our first dreams. Who knows if we would ever meet if I had been a doctor and you a player.”

Brian locked his arms around Nick’s neck and placed his head on the shoulder. “It was destiny. It’s destiny. No matter what we were doing or which city we were, we would have found a way to meet. We’re meant to be together.”