- Text Size +

Brian woke up with a start and found himself tangled inside the web of the white sheets, attached to his body like a second skin.

The images of the nightmare still lingering inside his mind, though those dark clouds seemed to grow weaker and weaker with each passing second. Still, even if he could put a firm line between reality and dreams, he couldn’t seem to shake off the unpleasant sensation that had woke him up so hotly.

It hadn’t be the first time, nightmares like that still managed to happen once or twice every month, leaving him with his heart beating like he had run a marathon. Even his breathing agreed to that sensation, coming in short and hectic gasps like his body had been eating miles and miles in the longest run he had ever done. Brian couldn’t remember what he had been dreaming but he knew that he had been running, trying to reach that shadow of a person standing in front of him. Screams, he remember that he had been screaming like every time, even if he knew deep inside that no one would come and comfort him.

Not this time, though. This time was different because this time he wasn't alone. Not like he had been in the past.

Without even turning on the lamp on his bedside, Brian reached for the phone and dialed the only number he knew could bring him peace and relief. In the back of his mind, Brian knew that it was like three o’clock in the morning and that Nick was probably sleeping since he had to work in the morning but he couldn’t stop himself. The need of hearing his voice, even just a whisper, was too much to resist.

“Bri? - A sleepy voice came up and swept away any traces left of the terror brought by the nightmare. - Everything’s okay? Are you okay?”

Every little bit of scruple disappeared beneath the image, created by Brian’s mind, as he pictured Nick as he rubbed his eyes, his head still laying on the pillow and the blanket thrown on his side. It was a picture that brought a sense of domesticity and familiarity, a blanket of normality that made his heart beat slower and calmer. “I’m okay. – He reassured Nick. – Just... bad dream and... I guess I just wanted to hear your voice. See? It’s stupid.” He ended in a grumble, putting his head upon his knees.

Moments of silence followed Brian’s confession, making him starting to believe that Nick had fallen asleep on the phone. Then, a less sleepily voice arose. “What kind of nightmare?”

“I... I don’t remember. Just... I couldn’t find you.”

Silence. The only sound Brian could hear was a mix between his beating heart and Nick’s breathing. “Twenty minutes.”

“What?” Brian asked with a frown.

“It won’t take me much longer to be there. At this hour, there won’t be much traffic.”

“Nick! You don’t have to come here. Not just for a bad dream.” But his objection fell into the nothingness since Nick wasn’t longer listening, just a click to alert that the conversation had been stopped. That left Brian with only one decision: getting up and starting to turn on the lights, waiting for the moment when he would hear the doorbell. He had just started a kettle thinking about a warm tea when a knock came from the door.

“You didn’t have to come, Nick. It’s the middle of night!”

Nick didn’t answer immediately, shrugging his shoulders before enveloping Brian in a hug. “You know that I’m not good with words. And I couldn’t hug you through the phone.”

Standing on his tiptoes, Brian brushed his lips against Nick’s. “Thank you.”

“Can I tell you a secret?” Nick whispered in his ear.

“What?”

“I don’t like sleeping alone too. - Nick answered, rubbing his nose against Brian’s tip. – Come on, let’s go to bed. Tomorrow morning you have to open the café and I’ve got some things to do before work.”

Brian turned off the kettle, switched off all the lights and then followed Nick towards his bedroom. Though he was starting to think of it as their room.

Night and darkness hugged them as they laid down on the bed, Brian with his head upon Nick’s chest and an arm safely circling his stomach. A sweet smile lightened up Nick’s face as a kiss lingered on those blonde curls he was in love with. “See? You’ve found me.”

“Yes. – Brian breathed as Nick’s heartbeat sang him to sleep with its rhythmic lullaby. – I've found you.” 

And he wasn't going to let him go.