- Text Size +

The sound of the keys unlocking the door echoed inside the apartment, breaking the silence for just a lingering moment. In that second, though, the small and last hope to find Nick still there crumbled down like a castle of sand. 


Brian had postponed the moment of his return as long as possible and, at one point, he had considered the thought of spending the rest of the night here at the cafeteria. It wouldn’t had been the first time and he preferred waking up with a terrible backache instead than being not able to sleep because he was surrounded by Nick’s perfume but unable to hold it forever. He had thought about it over and over all day, knowing exactly where he had been wrong. Running away. What on earth possessed him to run away without even talking and discussing it with Nick? That was what couple was supposed to do and he had failed big time.  


Brian shook his head, as if the gesture could physically push away those thoughts far and far away from him. Neither of them were expert in those kind of things, especially him, so used to being alone. His jacket fell on the couch as he realized that the main reason of his behavior was the purest form of shame and fear: he had been afraid of Nick’s reaction, he had feared that the only words coming from his lips would had been of a permanent break up. 


Then, so suddenly, a noise startled him. A voice, his voice, encouraged him and forces his heart to beat furiously, as if there was a drum inside his chest that had decided to play at its highest volume. Brian found himself almost running those few meters that separated him from the bedroom. And there Nick was, kneeling in front of the dresser and surrounded by clothes. His clothes. The only thing that Brian wanted to do was jump inside those arms and hug him until he couldn’t breathe but, still, all he could managed to do was whispering his name, though it was chocked by the tears trying to escape from his control.   


“I wanted to surprise you. – Nick started to say. – I found this drawer empty and...” 


“It was mom’s.” 


Brian’s answer made Nick drop the pair of socks he was holding. “Oh. It’s...I can always...” 


Brian found that he couldn’t even try to form a simple word, much less a whole sentence. Everything had been made a victim by that vortex of emotions, still trapped inside in his throat and making so impossible to lei in air and oxygen. After all, that moment didn’t need any words at all because actions and gestures had already spoken for their souls: coming back home and finding Nick busy with the task of putting his clothes in the closet had been the most powerful and tangible proof that he didn’t ruin anything. Moreover, he had uncovered that little part that Nick had always guarded and protected from everyone else: and yet, Brian knew that now Nick was ready to let him see inside himself, just like he had done on the night of their anniversary. And he was going to do the same thing Nick had done for him: he was going to just listen and hear until Nick’s voice would end up in a soft whisper. 


Being so close, it didn’t take if not a slight movement to cancel the distance between them. Brian’s lips lied upon Nick’s, caressing them in a kiss that, at the beginning, was the only way he knew to express himself to Nick while his arms came around Nick’s waist, rocking both of them still on the floor, still surrounded by Nick’s clothes and promises that they would try to keep. 


Brian took from Nick’s hand that pair of socks and placed them in the drawer. “Is it a yes?” 


“It’s a yes.”