- Text Size +

Brian turned up the collar of the jacket, trying to protect as much skin as possible from the sharp cold and from the raindrops. Although there was a part of his body that was welcoming that sensation of slowly numbing the fire that was currently burning his ankle. He couldn’t even remember how he got hurt, just that one moment he was up on the ladder attempting to put away the last delivery and the next one he was on the floor, a little bit confused while lightings of pain were climbing up his nerves and they all were born from that ankle swelling with each passing minute. 


Of course it had to happen the only day there was no one else in the cafeteria to help him, given the fact that Aj had called in the morning saying that he had some family matters to attend to. He had no one to call for help or to ask to come and cover his shift. A part of him, in the back of his mind, knew that he could call Nick and be sure that he would come and help him but he couldn’t force himself to dial those digits. What could Nick do? Nothing and Brian didn’t want him to waste working hours only for a swollen ankle. So he just gritted his teeth, curved his lips in a smile and used every break to put some ice on the injured foot waiting for the closing time. Adrenaline kept him on his feet but now that he was going home, it seemed like every energies had lost their way inside his body: his steps became slower and slower while the burning pain regained attention and consideration. He was about to stop and pull out his phone, thinking to call Nick and asking him to come and get him, when the boy appeared in front of him, some hairs wet and already curled and an umbrella clutched into his hand. 


“I thought that you were out without the umbrella and... -  The end of the sentence was lost behind the growling of the wind as Nick looked closer and better at Brian. Something was off. Something was wrong, judging by tightness of the jaw and how pale Brian looked when lightning stroke suddenly. – What happened? Are you okay?” 


Brian chewed his lower lip, usually a nervous tic but in that particular case it was just an attempt to suffocate a groan after another rather sharp pain. “I’m okay.” 


“Sure.- Nick replied in a sarcastic tone. – And my hair are black.” 


“You would look amazing with black hair.” 


“And you’re definitely changing subject.” 


“I know. But I’m not gonna turn you into a hem mother only because of a sprained ankle.” 


With a frustrated sigh, Nick put his arm around Brian’s wait so that he could lean on him. “So your plan was to fake that you’re not hurting?” 


“More or less. I’m pretty good at it.” 


Nick’s reply arrived in a sad tone, as an ache started to born within his heart thinking how many times Brian had to fake being okay just so he wouldn’t worry someone else. “I don’t doubt it.” 


Together, they started to walk slowly towards the flat ignoring the curios stared of people around them. Once at home, Nick made Brian lying down on the couch before going in the kitchen to find a pack of ice and some painkillers. He had thought about going at the hospital but immediately dismissed the thought: it was already evening and it was a minor injury, there was no point to waste an entire night for something so small. 


“How bad is it?” He asked as soon as he got back, sitting down next to Brian and brushing off some hairs that had fallen over his eyes. 


For a moment, Brian hesitated, long used to lie and make believe that everything was alright. But now there was no need any more to lie, especially to him: he could admit it and his admission wouldn’t be lost in the nothing. “It hurts. – He replied, observing Nick’s reaction and the expression of feeling useless starting to shadow his eyes. The instinct kicked in, focusing on him would keep away his pain. – Stay here with me.” 


“You sure? I don’t’... I don’t want to hurt you more than you already are.” 


“With your long legs, the only disadvantage is that you’re gonna freeze from the ice.” 


The laughter melted the tension and soon Brian found himself enveloped inside the warmth coming from Nick’s body. It wasn’t that bad letting someone else take care of him, Brian thought as the slow caresses on his back relaxed him until he fell asleep.