- Text Size +

It was one of those nights where the stars couldn’t shine, for they had been hiding behind dark and gloomy clouds that one moment seemed ready to change into a storm, while others seemed to slip away at the first breathe of wind. 


Brian and Nick were walking on the sidewalk, close as they could be, cheeks and noses red because of the cold air. It was a Saturday night and that day had marked the beginning of Christmas’s time: the already bright lights of New York seemed to have exploded in a flurry of red, blue and gold while notes of famous songs fluttered outside each store. 


However, that day the stores weren’t the destination of the two boys. To be honest, even Nick didn’t know exactly where they were heading to, just that they were going to watch something, one of those old black and white movie that Brian loved so much and that he faked to be interested into only for his sake. 


“... I didn’t know about this place. It had been Blaine who...” 


Nick stopped abruptly. Blaine. In the last days, all that he had heard from Brian was a lot of that name. “Blaine did this.” or “Blaine and I” and he was so sick of it. A logical and rational part of his mind knew that he had no reasons at all to worry about this new guy but there was another part of him that couldn’t rest. It was like a little voice had started to rise, getting stronger and stronger every time Brian talked about him but he never said anything because he wasn’t and he didn’t want to be a possessive boyfriend. But, still, he was fed up and tired. 


“What’s wrong?” Brian asked, frowned and slightly concerned. 


“Who is this Blaine?” 


With eyes wide opened in astonishment, Brian felt a tip of annoyance starting to grow inside him. “What do you mean?” 


“It’s a simple question. Who is this Blaine you keep talking about?” 


“Are you jealous?” 


“Should I be?” 


Brian let out a frustrated sigh. “I don’t even want to answer to this nonsense. - Brian replied without mincing words, resuming his steps like that conversation didn’t even take place. But after some seconds he realized that Nick was still standing there, on the same spot, so he turned around and walked back with his arms crossed in front of him, and not only to shelter. – Blaine. The guy that started to work at the cafeteria. The guy that you have drawn together with his boyfriend. That Blaine.” 


Nick’s lips formed an o that felt like surrender and guilt. He looked down for a second, observing the tip of his shoes, before finding the courage to look up again to Brian. He felt so stupid to have let that blind emotion taking control over him. Worse, he felt so ashamed to have doubted Brian. “You didn’t tell me about him. You just started talking and all I could hear was his name.” He tried to justify his actions. 


“I told you that I’ve found someone for the cafeteria. You simply didn’t listen to me because you’re so worried about the museum and exhibit.” Brian scolded him, though a smile softened the scolding in his tone. 


Relief swept inside the breath that Nick let out, as his hand went and found Brian’s. “I’m sorry. – He said, kissing the cold palm of the hand. – It’s... You’re so special. I’m afraid people would find out and take you away from me.” 


“I’m special only for you. The other people just see a normal guy. And maybe a little boring - Brian said comforting Nick. Tiptoeing, he brushed his lips against Nick’s while the boy held him close in a tight hug, not really wanting to let him go. – Nick, we have to go.” He added, rubbing his nose agains Nick's. 


Unwillingly, Nick stepped away while they resumed walking side by side. “Yeah. Casanera is waiting.” 


“It’s Casablanca.” 


“Small details.”