- Text Size +
The bright rays of a new born sun weren’t the ones that made him wake up, despite the fact that his face was turned towards the window and the warmth and the light fell directly upon his eyes; although that was what happened every morning, expect for those days overflowing with rain and grey clouds, and his only solution was very simple: turn on the other side and go back to the exact moment when his dream had been interrupted.

But that wasn’t what happened that morning. Because what really jerk him awake from the pleasant images of the last night’s date with Nick had been the jingle of the doorbell, too shrill and high-pitched to hear when someone wasn’t even awake enough to comprehend which side of the bed he was lying on.

He stretched his left arm towards the direction where he supposed the bedside table was and gropingly he started to search the alarm clock, dropping on the parquet a box of tissues and a book he had yet to finish reading. Finally, his fingers clung to that round shape that could only belong to his alarm clock; barely managing to open his eyes, though it was only half eyelid and even that had required a strength almost cycloptic, he tried to bring into focus the position of the clock’s hands.

9 am.

Mumbling curses and trying to avoid bumping against everything that he might find on his way, Brian managed to get into the living room and flung open the front door, ready to lash out against whoever had decided that it was really fun to wake him up that early in the morning of his only free day.

“Okay, I think I’m still dreaming. – He babbled when he made out who was standing in front of him, Nick, who was looking more awake than he would ever be on a Sunday morning. At the same time, Brian smelled the embracing flavoring of coffee freshly made and he couldn’t stop himself from inhaling it deeply. Gosh, how he loved coffee! And, right in that moment, he loved Nick. – You’ve got the coffee.” He commented in a voice that made Nick like he was holding in his hand something holy, which it was something not that far from the truth.

“I was afraid of being inapt, you know, bringing coffee to someone who works everyday in a cafeteria it’s like giving a bottle of wine to the owner of a wine shop but... – Nick couldn’t go on explaining himself because of the strong grip of Brian’s hands around one of the cups, a so quick movement that erased every clouds of doubt from Nick’s mind. - ... But I see that it had been a good idea indeed.”

Then, Nick followed Brian to the room he assumed was the kitchen. And he wasn’t wrong in his supposition. Judging by the dimensions, the kitchen had to be the largest room of the house as well as the brightest, due to the many and high windows covered two of the four walls, endowing a breathtaking view of New York’s skyscrapers and a little angle of the emerald green of Central Park. The light was reflected by the dull white of the tilted floor while the kitchen fittings were a sand brown, creating the illusion of a big open space in the room. And that room, so luminous and sunny, represented perfectly Brian.

“What is the reason behind all of this?” Brian asked as he started to retrieve some cookies he knew he had storage somewhere.

“I just wanted to have breakfast with you. And I wanted to be the one offering for once. – Nick replied with a soft smile as he took a seat in front of the isle counter. – Is it good? I asked Aj and he told me that you usually take it like that but...” He tried to ask but he didn’t even had the time to pronounce the last sentence because suddenly Brian’s body was standing between him and the counter, his hands grabbing the shirt collar and the lips locking his own in a coffee tasteful kiss.

It was a quick kiss, just a brushing caress. But, when it ended, Brian didn’t move away from Nick; he only turned around so he could sit on the same stool with his back leaning against Nick’s chest. “Now it’s perfect.” He only said as Nick circled his arms around his waist.