- Text Size +
Story Notes:

London Cartier - Pronunciation Kahr-Tee-Yay (French)

 

Prologue

The soft blues twang of Muddy Waters fill the white rented pick-up truck as it rumbles down the Queen Elizabeth Highway, passing a large wooden sign that reads “Welcome to Banff”. The September air is crisp, not a cloud in sight, revealing a stark contrast between the bright blue sky and the turning leaves of early fall. The mountains hovered against the horizon, creating a breathtaking scenic view that was beautiful and melancholy at the same time. The young man in the passenger’s seat takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. Yes, of course he would think that being surrounded by beautiful mountains was a tragic thing. Among other things in his life. His thoughts are interrupted by his friend in the driver’s seat. “Brian, are you absolutely sure about this?”

He looks up; ocean blue eyes meeting crystal blue and nodded curtly. “For the thousandth time Nick, yes,” he replies, a tinge of annoyance in his voice. He ignores the younger man’s grumblings and stares out the window as they pull up to a cozy looking cottage; nestled deep in the small town of Banff, Alberta. Away from prying eyes. Away from his troubled life. Away from anyone he could possibly hurt. Squaring his shoulders, Brian pushed the truck door open and stepped out into the chilly autumn breeze. He pulled up the collar of his bomber jacket and squinted up at the house as Nick stepped up beside him.

“You’re crazy, you know that?” the younger man said, staring at his friend in aggravation. “I can’t believe you’re actually doing this.”

He couldn’t believe so either. But he was sure of this, more than anything in his life. Taking a deep breath, he walked up the sidewalk to the front door of his new home.