- Text Size +

 

“So, why Bronx?”

“Hm?” I murmur, my ear against his chest. We must’ve been in this position for hours now; cuddled up on the balcony with a blanket over us. The couch is so comfortable, and I’m so warm in his arms. My eyes begin to droop.

“Why did you choose the name Bronx?” he asks, his chin resting gently on the top of my head.

“I’m from New York, originally.” I yawn and try to blink the sleepiness out of my eyes.

“Really? You never told me that.”

“I barely remember it,” I reply. “I was only two years old when my parents moved us to Vancouver. My Dad is from Bronx and my Mom is from Brooklyn. They met in Manhattan, on New Year’s Eve in front of Times Square.” I smile at the thought and feel my hair flutter as he sighs.

“Romance,” he murmurs. I yawn again and I feel him laugh softly. “Time to go, I think. It’s past your bedtime.” He sits upright and I wish he hadn’t.

“I was so comfortable.” I pout and he smiles.

“I know.” He gives me a quick peck on the lips as we untangle ourselves from each other and stand. “But you have work tomorrow.”

I groan, remembering my 7am wake up call. “Work!”  I follow him into the hotel suite. I glance at the clock; it’s just past eleven.

“Ms. Cartier, you enjoy your work!”

For some reason, Christian comes to mind and I sigh. Not the part where I get hit on every day

He turns to me. “What?”

I look up, startled and realized I had said that out loud. Wow, I do need to sleep. I shake my head. “No, nothing. Just… talking to myself,” I reply and he stops before we reach the hotel door.

“Tell me.” His eyes are intense, looking into mine. Whoah.

I sigh. “It’s nothing. Just an admirer I guess.”

His jaw clenches. “Has he asked you out?” His voice is clipped. Geez, what is up with him?

“No,” I say defensively. “And even if he did, is it any of your business?” I motion at the space between us. “Physical, remember?”

His face hardens and he turns toward the door, purposely not holding it open for me. He is so frustrating. I glare at him and he glares back, blue eyes burning into hazel. I’m the first to tear my eyes away and I look down at the floor as we enter the elevator.

“Are you attracted?”

What? “To who?”

“That guy?”

“Wow, I cannot believe you just asked me that.” I raise my eyes to the ceiling, feeling exasperated.

“Don’t roll your eyes at me.”

“I didn’t,” I snap and glare at him once more.

“Are you? You didn’t answer my question.”

“No!” I exclaim, frustrated. “Yes, I- I don’t know! He’s attractive, sure, but I’ve never thought about it.”

His jaw clenches again and he tears his eyes from me, staring straight ahead as we walk out of the elevator and into the main foyer. I wait as he talks to the man at the front desk, and then we walk in silence all the way to the car. At least he’s opened the door for me. I think bitterly to myself as I slip into the passenger’s seat. Before he closes it, he looks me dead in the eye and grabs my chin.

“I only have eyes for you, London.” With that, he slams the door shut and I shrink into my seat.

As I watch him climb into the driver’s seat and start the car, a weird feeling rises in my stomach. The light of the moon bounces off his eyes, making them look almost transparent and the outline even darker. Even at this moment, when he’s angry and I’m frustrated, that small remark brings a tiny bubble of hope in the pit of my stomach.

The Ferrari pulls into the quiet neighborhood, a stark contrast in a quiet and small town. Instead of parking it in the garage, Brian parks right in front of his house and steps out of the car. He quickly strides over to my side and pulls the door up.

“Stay with me tonight,” he murmurs, taking my hand to help me out. I look up at him, surprised. “I’ll wake you up tomorrow and take you to work.”

I look back at the beautiful car parked at the side of the curb. “In that?”

He raises an eyebrow at me. “Is there a problem?”

I shake my head. “No.”

I follow him into the house and, almost immediately after I’ve taken my shoes off, he sweeps me up and I gasp with surprise. “Are you too tired for me, baby?”

After trying to keep up with his crazy mood swings, I’m suddenly wide awake. “I’m never too tired for you,” was my reply and the cheesy grin is back on his face. He throws me onto the giant king-sized bed and growls as he jumps on top of me, capturing my lips in his.

-

I wake groggily from the feeling of something wet against my face. For a moment, I think it’s Brian incessantly licking my chin and my eyes blink open, bewildered. I see a large furry face and a wet nose and I groan, realizing that it’s Bronx.

“Morning sunshine,” I hear Brian’s cheerful voice chuckling at me. Wow, how is this man so full of energy?

“Bronx,” I groan, my voice still hoarse from sleep. I squint against the bright light and throw my arms over my face.

“I retrieved your house key from your jacket pocket when you fell asleep last night,” Brian informs me. “I let Bronx here. He’s fed and relieved himself.”

Wow, I’m thoroughly impressed. “Thank you,” I say; my voice still hoarse. In fact, my throat is burning. I cough, seeing if it would go away but it persists. I sit up. Oh no.

“Are you sick?” Brian eyes me warily, reading my mind.

“I think I have a sore throat,” I reply.

“Wait here.” He disappears and I fall back against the bed, my head throbbing. Bronx curls up next to me. A few minutes later, Brian comes back into the bedroom holding a steaming mug of hot water, ginger, and lemon. Boy this guy is really attentive to my needs. For someone who’s not my boyfriend.

“Thank you,” I whisper, wincing as my throat constricts. I take a sip of the mug and close my eyes; instant relief.

“You’re still going to work like that?” he asks me, a hint of disapproval in his voice. “You’re sick.”

“Yes,” I insist. “If I feel worse, I can always just sit out the day and help out indoors.”

He shakes his head. “So stubborn. Come, you need to shower and get ready so we can grab breakfast on the way.”

“What time is it?”

“7:30.”

My eyes widen. “My shuttle to the resort comes at 8!”

“Don’t worry. I’m taking you to work, remember? I’ll have you there just in time.” He winks at me and I stare at his back as he walks away. He’s up to something, I know it.

-

I’m wrapped in a large, white towel in my bathroom, blow drying my hair. Brian had come with me home so I could shower and get ready and was now waiting in the living room, watching early morning cartoons. I stare at my flushed face in the mirror. I had been in the middle of squeezing body wash onto a loofa sponge when Brian had stepped into the shower with me. I was startled, so startled, at the sight of him in my shower that I would’ve slipped and fell had he not caught me.

“Relax,” he’d whispered in my ear, his hands moving down to cup my butt. It was a quick romp, wet, slippery, steaming, and mind blowing. After he had filled me up, he made sure I had my fair share of multiple orgasms before quietly stepping out of the shower, leaving me hot and bothered.

When I’m ready and packed for the day, I meet Brian in the living room where he’s playing with Bronx. He smiles up at me as I enter the room. “You ready?”

“Yup,” I reply and we head out.

“What would you like for breakfast?” he asks as we drive through the neighborhood toward the town center. I notice that passersby are gawking at the car and I’m glad the windows are tinted.

“Evelyn’s Coffee Bar, please.” I hadn’t had my chocolate croissant fix in a while.

As we climb out of the Ferrari, which is now parked right in front of the coffee shop, people are full on taking out their phones to capture a picture of the car. I can’t blame them; it’s rare to see such a beautiful car here, especially in the winter months. We grab a quick breakfast and are out onto the main road in no time. It’s just past 8:40 when we make it to the Sunshine Village Resort. I see the shuttle parked a few feet away from us and my co-workers filtering out. I’m praying to myself that none of them notices me getting out of the car.

“I’m headed to the city today to meet up with Nick,” Brian tells me when I turn to him. His eyes are unreadable, and his jaw is set. “I don’t know how long I’ll be, I might not be home until tomorrow.” He sighs and tilts my chin up. “Take care of that throat.” He gives me a quick peck on the lips.

“Thanks for the ride and the great shower.” I grin at him as I climb quickly out of the car, trying to draw as little attention as possible. Who am I kidding? A Ferrari at a ski resort not gaining some sort of attention?

“Hey, London!” I cringe when I hear Christian’s voice behind me. A few seconds later, he’s beside me and I turn to him, forcing a smile on my face. “Great car!

I laugh nervously. “Yeah.” I look back at Brian, who is just now pulling out of the lot. I catch a glimpse of his face; jaw rigid and burning blue eyes regarding Christian coolly who stares back at him impassively.

Christian glances at me out of the corner of his eyes. “Boyfriend?”

I shake my head. “Nope. Friend.”

A friend, I realize, who just dropped me off at work to make sure he’s marked his territory.