- Text Size +

 

 

She stirs in her sleep and I tense, not wanting her to wake up just yet. Watching her is surprisingly comforting… and peaceful. I sigh as she curls up closer to me, her head resting on my shoulder. I look at her and push a strand of wavy hair out of her face. She’s beautiful. The second I laid eyes on her when I’d accidently hit her with the truck door, I was taken by her eyes. They were the most intense hazel - almost green - eyes set into a petite pale face and framed by natural long and dark lashes. She had stared at me, wide-eyed and stunned, and all I wanted to do was take her hands and apologize profusely. It was as if she looked straight into my soul, knew my deepest darkest secrets. My defenses had piled up high then and I had muttered something rude before walking away.

I thought she was a tourist, someone I never expected to see ever again after that. I was flabbergasted to learn that she was my new neighbour and the emotions that had elicited confused me to no end. I was happy, excited. This wasn’t part of the plan. I should be alone, that’s why I came here. She was never part of the plan. I had never expected this woman – this fiercely independent, gorgeous, intelligent, and passionate woman – to stumble into my life. I tried to stay away – God, I tried. But the day she yelled at me something angry about a bear-safe bin, face flushed and eyes blazing into mine, all I wanted to do was grab her face and kiss her; right there, in the middle of the street.

I couldn’t stay away if I wanted to. I knew I had to stay away, but her pull is so magnetic that I’m like a moth to flame. I want her – all of her. I was able to be a downright asshole to everyone, maybe even evil at times… but with her – I can’t. It’s as if she melts that part of me.

Nobody can find out. Especially Rooney. Rooney. God, if he found out. I shudder at the violent thoughts in my head. If anything happened to her, because of me. I swallow. I can never let that happen. She stirs again and I caress her face gently with my knuckle. My heart constricts. She means so much to me, more than she could ever know. More than I could ever let her know. I softly press my lips against hers and I savor the feeling.  “I’m falling in love with you,” I whisper.

Her eyes flutter open; blue eyes burning into hazel. My beautiful London.