- Text Size +

 

My eyes burn into his, not believing what I just heard. Finally, we’ve made it official and it lasts for barely twenty-four hours? He looks away from me and casts his eyes back downward. Detective Brady clears his throat beside me. “I’ll give you two some privacy,” he mutters and walks swiftly out of the room.

“Brian,” I say, my voice hard. “Brian, look at me.”

He looks up, the same pained expression in his eyes. “I’m sorry,” is all he can whisper.

“You’re sorry?” I shake my head, the tears threatening to fall.

“This is for you, London. For your safety. I can’t let anything happen to you.” He swallows and stands up. “God, it almost already did! All because of my selfishness, because I wanted to be with you so bad I completely disregarded everything else.”

“So you think me going back home to Vancouver and you jetting off around the world is going to keep me safe?” I sit up and throw my legs over the side of the bed, wanting to stand up but he stops me.

“Sit. You need to rest,” he says strictly. I can’t believe he’s bossing me around like this while we’re having this discussion.

“You have no idea, do you?” My voice comes in a whisper, the lump in my throat forming. “I’m scared for my life. Now I’m supposed to stay in solitude back home?”

His face falls and I’m nervous that he’s about to cry. “Don’t be scared. I won’t let anything happen to you. You’ll have your family, London. Where you should be. Safe.” He takes my face in his hands, staring into my eyes intently. “Baby, I’m not going to forget about you. When all of this is over, please believe that I’m going to go straight to you and we’ll make this work. I’m not letting you go that easily.”

He’s right. I can’t risk my life like this… it would be too selfish to. My Dad’s face pops into my mind… Grandma, my brothers. They’ve already been through too much losing my Mom. I can’t be selfish, as much as I want a life with Brian. Love is never selfish. I blink the tears away. “Ok,” I say softly and nod. “Ok, I’ll go back to Vancouver.”

He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. “This is torture for me too, London,” he breathes. “Not being able to see you, wondering if you’ll be safe all this time. I’m prepared to go crazy.”

I sigh. “I’m already going crazy.” He rests his forehead on my mine and we stay like that for a moment. I savour the feel of his hands on my face, his smell, and commit it to memory. “I can’t believe it’s come to his,” I whisper.

“I know,” he replies softly. “I know…”

-

After another talk with Detective Brady, I’m released from the medical aid room and instructed to head back home to pack. My flight to Vancouver is booked for noon the next day, which leaves me very little time to say my goodbyes to Brian, Linda, and Mark. It’s all happening so fast and I haven’t even had time to just sit and take it all in. Detective Brady had informed me that during my time away from work, my income will remain – as per an agreement with their protection program. I suggest trying to find work in Vancouver, to occupy myself in the meantime, but he was against the idea. He informs me that there will be a security team following us when we drive back to my house and situated in front for the time being, though he assures me that he doesn’t think Rooney will act any time soon after this. I don’t know how I feel about that. To have a security team constantly watching me is very unnerving.

The ride to my house in Brian’s Range Rover is quiet, with Linda in the back still fuming over what Christian did. “I can’t believe him,” I hear her mutter, breaking the silence as we approach the town.

“Linda, it’s over,” I say softly. “Whatever he tried to do, he didn’t succeed. I’m still here.”

“I just can’t believe he was a spy this whole time!”

“I never liked the guy,” Brian speaks up, glancing over at me. “There was always something sketchy about him.”

I sigh. “I don’t really want to talk about the guy who tried to kill me just a few hours ago.” My voice is filled with bitterness I hadn’t intended. They both fall silent.

“Sorry London,” Linda murmurs. “I just can’t believe this is all happening. I mean, you’re leaving for God knows how long.”

I look back at her and manage a smile on my face. “I’ll be back soon enough, L,” I tell her.

“Look at me. You’re the one who’s in danger and you’re trying to comfort me?” She lets out a breath through her lips. “Typical, good-hearted, London.”

Brian glances at me and gives me a small smile. “Linda, how about you spend some time with London and I’ll give you a ride home later tonight?” he suggests, looking at her through the rearview mirror.

“Thanks, Brian, but I think I’ll head home now,” she replies. “I still have to go to work tomorrow and, besides, I’m sure you and London want to say your goodbyes in private?”

My face flushes and I roll my eyes at her. “Remind me why I’ll miss you?” I joke and she just grins at me.

When we reach her condo, I get out of the car and walk her to the steps so I can say goodbye. “Take care of yourself, please,” she says firmly, hugging me tight. “Just stay home and do nothing until he’s caught, please?”

I laugh slightly and hug her back. “I can’t promise I’ll stay home this whole time, but I will be careful.”

“And London?”

“Yeah?”

She glances toward the Range Rover where Brian is waiting patiently. “He’s worth the wait.” She raises her eyebrows at me, a knowing smile on her face, before opening the condo doors. “I’ll come visit you in Vancouver when I get the chance.”

I nod and wave as she disappears into the building. When I get back into the vehicle, Brian is regarding me carefully. “You okay?” he asks softly.

I smile at him. “I will be, yeah.”

When we step into my house, guilt floods me when I remember that Bronx was picked up today. In the midst of all that is happening, it’s completely passed my mind. I’m still half expecting him to come running to me, ready to go back to Vancouver and keep me company as he always does. I sit down on the couch, sadness taking over and bury my head in my hands.

“What’s wrong, baby?” Brian is kneeling in front of me, concern in his voice.

“I’m just overwhelmed is all,” I reply. “What about Bronx’s body?”

“I got the phone call while you were in the medical room,” he tells me. “He was cremated this afternoon. I wasn’t sure where you wanted him to be sent… here or Vancouver.”

“Thank you,” I breathe. “You’ve done so much for me, Brian.”

“And you’ve put up with so much from me, London,” he replies. “I should be the one thanking you for sticking around.” He stands up then, taking my hands and pulling me up with him. “Come on, I’ll help you pack.”

It’s just past midnight when I zip up the last suitcase. I’ve packed up almost all of my clothes and discarded of any perishable food items from the kitchen. I come across Bronx’s toys but don’t have the heart to rid of them just yet, so I pack them up in a box and keep them in storage for now. I sit at the edge of my bed and look at my now empty closet, wondering when I’ll be back here again. Brian sits down beside me.

“Penny for your thoughts?” he asks, taking my hand.

“Still overwhelmed,” I reply. “I’ve made a home here… I just – it’s going to be a weird transition for a little bit.”

“If it wasn’t for me, you wouldn’t be going through all of this.” His voice is tinged with sadness.

“I don’t regret you.” I turn to look at him. “I will never regret you.”

“I’m going to miss you,” he whispers and I have to fight back the tears again.

“What about you?” I ask. “When are you leaving?”

“The day after tomorrow. The tour was supposed to start this month if I hadn’t up and left, so now it’s back to square one preparing for it.” He sighs. “Luckily, we already have the concept and the costumes. That just means hours of rehearsals, finalizing tour dates, and promotional stuff.”

“How do you feel about getting back out there?”

He contemplates this for a second. “Honestly, it feels nice. I’m an artist, so I crave to be on stage singing somewhere. I just wish it didn’t come with this situation.” He pauses. “I’m still a little bit paranoid about it all.”

I’m silent for a minute. “I just don’t understand how a man who I’ve never even met wants to have me dead for something that neither of us is guilty for.”

“That’s just how fucked up some people are in this world.”

“Are you going to sell your house here?”

He shakes his head. “Nah. Banff has grown on me.” He grins. “Could have something to do with a certain hazel-eyed girl.”

I give him a small smile. “I’m glad you get to go back to what you really love to do. It kind of pained me to see you all holed up in here with your God-given talent.”

“Don’t worry. We’ll catch that son of a bitch real soon and before you know it, I’ll be seeing you in a few days.” He gives me a wink. “We got this.”

“We do,” I agree. Then I take a deep breath as the reality of it all hits me. “Can I ask something of you though?”

“Anything.”

“Can you stay the night?” I ask, suddenly shy and his eyes widen slightly.

“Of course I will. You didn’t even have to ask. Are you tired?”

“Exhausted.”

“Okay, you get ready for bed. I’m just going to run across the street and change real quick then come back. Sounds good?”

I nod. “Hurry back.”

He pauses at the door and studies my face. “Are you scared?” he asks softly.

“A little…”

“Don’t be. You’re safe.” He gives me a reassuring smile and disappears out the door. I quickly change into grey and pink plaid pajama bottoms and a white tank top, pull my hair into a high bun, and finish brushing my teeth right when he gets back.

He’s changed into sweats, his cheeks flushed red from the cold. “You look cute,” he tells me, eyeing me up and down. I raise my eyebrows at him and, before I could figure out what was going on, he scoops me up in his arms and throws me onto the bed.

“Brian!” I laugh as he switches the lights off and jumps into the sheets with me.

“Arghh, I’m gonna miss this,” he murmurs into my neck as he wraps his arms around me.

“Don’t worry,” I whisper into the dark. “We’ll catch him and before you know it, you’ll see me again in just a few days.”