- Text Size +

 

Tomorrow comes too soon. By the time we wake, the sun is out and there’s a persistent sound of banging on the front door. Groggily, Brian untangles himself from me and disappears out of the room to see who it is. I turn away from the window, struggling to adjust my eyes to the bright room. A moment later, Brian walks back in with a mortified look on his face.

“It’s Detective Brady,” he mutters, pulling his blue sweater on. “I wasn’t supposed to sleep over, apparently. We have to make it seem like we’re ‘separated’.”  He rolls his eyes at me. “Come on, sleeping beauty, you need to get up and get ready to go to the airport.”

I groan and throw my arms over my head. “Can’t I just have a normal day? Just one.”

“My life is anything but,” he says in a light tone, but I know he’s not joking.

I would’ve liked nothing better but to stay in Brian’s arms for a little while longer, but Detective Brady seems in a rush to get me to the airport as soon as possible. He hands me my flight itinerary and informs me of the awaiting vehicle ready to drive me to the Calgary airport. Brian insists on taking me himself, but Detective Brady immediately shuts him down.

“We need to make it seem like you’ve gone your separate ways,” he repeats. As if spending the night at my house wasn’t enough to speculate that we’re still together.

Brian fits the last of my suitcases into the back of the black Lincoln SUV, making sure they’re secure before pulling the trunk door shut. “That’s all of it,” he sighs, turning to me.

“I guess this is it,” I say softly, hugging myself and looking up at him. I bite my lip, sure that I’ll burst out crying any time now.

He takes me into a heart wrenching embrace, one that shakes up my emotions. “Be safe okay, baby?” he whispers into my ear.

“You too,” I reply. “Have fun on tour. Keep in touch, if we’re allowed.”

“I’ll find a way,” he murmurs and pulls back to look at me. “You’ll be okay, London. You’ve got some of the best security looking after you and I’ve hired one of the best detectives out there.”

I nod, trying to let his words convince me. But inside, I’m shaking like a leaf. “Thank you for everything again.” I take a deep breath. “Bronx… Bronx can be sent back to my Dad’s house. I told Detective Brady to give you the address, just in case it’s not safe for me to do so… or something.” I shake my head, confused by it all. “Thank you again.”

“No need to thank me.” He takes my hands in his and gives me a weak smile. “We’ll see each other again. Soon enough.”

“Soon enough,” I repeat and stand on my tip toes to give him a kiss on the cheek. “Goodbye, Brian.”

He takes a sharp intake of breath and, in a second, my face in his hands and his lips are crushing down on mine. “Goodbye, London,” he breathes, breaking the kiss.

I blink the moisture out of my eyes as I pull away from him and climb into the backseat of the large SUV. Jake, the driver, closes the door when I’m in and walks around to the driver’s side. I look back as the car pulls away from the curb and I don’t turn around until Brian is out of sight. Just like that, he’s gone.

Once we get onto the highway, another black SUV follows not too far behind; part of the security team. I still can’t wrap my head around the fact that this will be my life for a little while, that all of this fuss is for my safety. Though it does ease my mind a little bit, the thought is unsettling. What will my family think? I haven’t told anyone yet; I figure it would be better to just show up on my Dad’s doorstep and explain in person. This makes me nervous and I try not to dwell on it.

I shift uncomfortably in my seat. I’m wearing quite a bit of layers for the cold morning; a pair of black tights underneath my jeans, some black insulated boots, and my thick snowboarding jacket. I’m quite warm inside the vehicle and Jake catches my eye in the rearview mirror. A few seconds later, I’ve discarded of my jacket and he’s turned the heat down. I feel a bit better, but I’m restless and anxious. I sigh and stare out at the scenery. Oh, when will all of this end?

When we get to Calgary International Airport, I have some time to spare before my flight. I’m instructed to check in early and go through security. I don’t have anyone assisting me on the plane, but I’m told there will be security waiting for me at the Vancouver airport to escort me home. After I’m done checking in, I head straight to the Starbucks not too far from my gate to grab a quick bite to eat. The airport is buzzing with excited crowds leaving for Mexico or Hawaii and I find myself wishing that this was an exciting trip for me.

“Must be nice, huh?” a man sitting beside me says in an enthusiastic voice and I’m startled out of my thoughts.

“I’m sorry?” I say apologetically.

“I said, it must be nice to be going somewhere warm right about now,” he grins, bright white teeth against olive skin. I notice one of his front teeth is gold.

“Tell me about it,” I murmur. “Though this winter has been pretty mild.”

“Ah, I haven’t been around here much during the winter. I’m from smack dab in the middle of the American desert.” His voice is raspy and he’s flipping over a newspaper. He’s a large man with greying hair and a smart dark suit with a purple tie.

“What brings you all the way up here to Canada?” I ask, finishing up the rest of my chai tea latte.

“I had some business to take care of,” he replies. “Where are you off to now, young lady?”

“Vancouver. Back to my family.”

“Ah, beautiful place,” he remarks, then shakes his head at a story in the newspaper. “These celebrities,” he mutters. “Always getting divorced.”

I smile slightly. “Must be hard to keep a relationship with a celebrity.”

“I don’t know about that,” he replies. “I think it could be easy, in fact. Relationships aren’t hard, people make it hard.”

I nod slowly. “I guess that’s true.”

“Especially celebrities, being in the limelight and all.” He shifts in his seat and turns to look at me, his brown eyes twinkling. “The trouble with being in the limelight is that their private life isn’t all that private. Take, for instance, Brian who thinks he can hide his girlfriend away that easily.”

Something in my brain clicks and the hair on the back of my neck stands up. I gasp and pull away from him, standing up abruptly and nearly knocking over a passerby. “What did you just say?” I breathe.

“I’m sorry, darling. I haven’t properly introduced myself. My name is Runefald Sanchez.” He sticks out a chubby hand to me and I notice a large gold ring on his pinky finger and a Rolex watch to match. “But, you can call me Rooney.”