- Text Size +

 

When I reach LAX, Nick is waiting at the gates with a man in a suit standing behind him. He recognizes me right away and, to my surprise, engulfs me in a big hug. “How are you?” he asks, holding me at arm’s length and inspecting me.

“Alive,” I reply and he grins, releasing me.

“This is Jones, my bodyguard,” he tells me, motioning to the man in the suit. “We call him Ax.” We start walking and I suddenly feel very short next to this tall, handsome blonde. “Well, Brian was beside himself with worry.”

“What?” I look up at him, suddenly realizing that Brian has no idea what had just happened.

“Him and Detective Brady got the news that you didn’t make it to your flight, so they thought the worse. He was nearly in tears, thinking that Rooney captured you.”

“Does he know I’m here?”

“Yes. I called Detective Brady to let him know. Brian switched his flight for this evening, but I’m instructed not to let you on the phone with him… for the time being.” He glances at me. “Whatever it is that you did to him, he’s really smitten with you.”

I blush at this and remain silent until we reach the car, which is a pearl white Cadillac Escalade. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the fancy things that these boys have. “So, where are we going now?” I ask.

“Well, I was instructed by your prince charming to take you shopping.”

“Take me shopping?” I ask incredulously. How can I even think of going shopping at a time like this?

“Yes.” He glances back at me from the passenger’s seat. “Boots and a thermal sweater aren’t exactly California weather appropriate.” Right. I suddenly feel warm and he smiles knowingly. “After that, we’re instructed to wait at the studio until Brian is back. It should be a few hours until then.” I stare out the window. Snow and mountains and running for my life… to palm trees and sun and shopping. I sigh… what a day.

A couple of hours later, I’ve changed into denim shorts, sandals, and a turquoise tank top. Much to my reluctance, Nick has spent a few hundred dollars and I’m buried in shopping bags in the backseat of the car. “It’s Brian’s money, anyway,” he reassures me, but I still feel ridiculous spending it. I insist on using my own credit card, but he confiscates it from me without another word. We have about an hour before we’re instructed to be back at the studio, so we decide on dinner at a nearby restaurant.

“So, did Brian let you in on his big secret from the start?” Nick asks, taking a bite of his turkey melt sandwich. His blue eyes are filled with curiosity.

I shake my head. “No. I had no idea about it all until a couple of days ago actually.” I look down at my half eaten burger. Though I’ve barely eaten all day, I don’t have much of an appetite. “Did you?”

“Nope,” he replies, wiping his fingers off with a napkin. “One day, he was just… Brian, you know – goofy, off the wall, and normal. Then while we were in Vegas, he disappeared for a couple of hours and came back just a totally different person.”

I recall Brian’s story about Vegas – this must’ve been the time he had learned about the death of Rooney’s wife. “How so?”

“At first, he was all shaken up and just extremely paranoid.” He pauses and leans back in his seat. “We were in the middle of a press tour for the new album. We had no idea what was wrong with him. We tried talking to him about it, but he wouldn’t say a word. Everyone was really worried. Then, once the album dropped and we began rehearsals for the tour, he up and left. Just like that. He got a dual citizenship and moved to freaking Canada out of all places.”

“That’s the day I bumped into you guys in town,” I say, remembering that day clearly.

He nods. “Yup. He just started acting like an asshole and distanced himself from everyone. I wanted to punch him out so many times.”

“I think we all did,” I say with a slight laugh.

“Now I just can’t believe all that he sacrificed for the safety of everyone else.” He sighs and goes back to his plate, sprinkling some vinegar over his fries. “But that’s Brian, ya know?”

“And I thought he was an asshole at first,” I mumble, picking at my own plate.

“Yeah well, I can’t blame you. His own family was sick of his attitude. I always knew something had happened that day, but it frustrated me that he wouldn’t talk about it. Now that I know, I have nothing but respect for him for what he did. He’s a great guy.”

I smile fondly. “Yeah… he is.”

When we get to the studio, it’s empty aside from a security guard reading a newspaper at the gates. We walk down a brightly lit hallway, then into a much dimmer room titled “Studio C” on the door. It’s intimate, all modern, and plush couches. I’m in awe staring at all of the framed records and pictures of the artists who have recorded here. “Michael Jackson?” I breathe, looking at a framed picture of him sitting in the exact seat just a few feet away from me. Wow, Patti Labelle, TLC, Beyonce. I come to a picture of the boys, Brian grinning from ear to ear at the camera. “Where are the rest of you?” I ask.

“They’re gone for the day,” Nick replies from his seat, switching on a few buttons and the sound board comes to life. “Here, I’ll play you a song that Brian wrote. I think it’s about you.” He laughs and I raise my eyebrows at him curiously.

Out of nowhere, the sound of a piano comes to life, followed with a simple bass. It’s haunting and eerily romantic. A beautiful voice starts singing, and I realize that it’s Brian. The lyrics are heartbreaking, talking of a forbidden love and nights alone. My heart constricts and I’m frozen to the spot, listening to this beautiful melody. Nick watches me carefully from his seat.

“I told you he’s really into you,” he says.

Before I could reply, the door suddenly burst open and I’m momentarily blinded by the hallway light. When my eyes adjust, I see him clear as day standing a few feet away from me. My heart jumps to my throat. It’s him - looking drop dead gorgeous, curly hair down his forehead, blue eyes as intense as ever, and cheeks flushed pink. He’s here. Nick raises his eyebrow at us both before quietly slipping out of the room, leaving us alone.

“Brian,” I breathe, still frozen to the spot.

“Oh God, London.” In a couple of strides, he closes the space between us and I’m in his arms. The feeling of finally being safe with him is overwhelming and the tears come. I’m sobbing now as he hugs me tight. “It’s okay, it’s okay. I’m here. Baby, I’m here. You’re safe,” he croons, taking my face into his hands and kissing my cheeks, my nose, my forehead. “I was so worried. Oh God, I thought I lost you.” He squeezes me tight again. “I’m never letting you out of my sight again.”

“I-I was so scared,” I stammer, holding on to him for dear life. “Rooney… he-“

“Shh, I know, I know. It’s okay.” He lets me cry into his shoulder for a few more minutes until I’ve finally calmed down. Wiping my tears away with his thumbs, he gives me a kiss on the lips. “You’re staying with me, okay?”

I nod and lean up to kiss him, savoring the feeling of holding him. “I only feel safe with you,” I murmur and he reaches up to caress my cheek.

“From now on, you’re only going to be with me.” We stay like that, holding each other, for a few seconds until Nick pokes his head back into the room.

“Uh, I hate to interrupt this beautiful moment and all, but we gotta get going,” he says. “Everyone wants to see you, Bri.”

He smiles up at his friend, then back down at me. “You ready?”

I laugh slightly. “At this point, I’m pretty sure I’m ready for anything.”

He shoots me an apologetic grin before intertwining his fingers with mine and leading me out into the hallway. “Hey, stranger,” he says to Nick, putting an arm on his shoulder.

“Glad to have you back, man.” Nick gives him a brotherly hug and it occurs to me right then and there the extent of Brian’s actions to protect his loved ones.