- Text Size +

 

The black tinted SUV makes its way down the immaculate gated community, palm trees lining each side of the road and the California sun setting beautiful hues of orange and pinks against a bright blue cloudless sky. I’m sitting in the backseat with Brian, staring at the gorgeous mansions in awe. “Don’t tell me you live here in a mansion by yourself,” I breathe, glancing at him.

He chuckles. “Not quite. Kevin lives here,” he replies.

“Is that…” My voice trails off as I sit gaping at the infamous house we’re passing by.

“Mr. Spelling’s abode? Yes.”

I shake my head, not believing my eyes. “Geez.” The car begins to slow down, approaching a long driveway leading up to a dark grey mansion with a red door and white trimming. This must be Kevin’s house and, instantly, I begin to feel nervous. I am so out of place here. Just an average girl from a small town in the midst of celebrities, fame, and unimaginable wealth. How did I get here? I so don’t fit in here. I suddenly find myself longing for my dog, my house in Banff, and my usual normal work routine.

“Hey,” Brian says softly beside me, taking my hand in his. “Relax.” It’s as if he’s reading my mind. I look into his eyes and they’re so comforting and familiar and warm and gentle and everything that I need that I feel the anxiety disappear. “Everyone is excited to meet you,” he reassures me. “They want to meet the woman who brought me back.” He kisses my knuckles and I feel my heart melt.

“How do you do that?” I ask and he raises an eyebrow at me questioningly. “How do you manage to just… make my worries disappear?”

He grins at me. “I got your back, babe.”

I laugh and our moment is interrupted when the car comes to a full stop. A second later, the driver opens the door for us and I take a deep breath as I follow Brian out of the car. Nick pulls up behind us in his Escalade and straightaway, we’re greeted by a tall and handsome man with dark features who is walking down the porch steps toward us.

“Brian!” he exclaims, engulfing him in a hug. “It’s great to see you back, cous.”

“Feels good to be back,” Brian replies, then reaches for me, putting a hand at the small of my back. “Kevin, this is my girlfriend, London. London, Kevin.”

“Ah, I’ve heard a lot about you, London. It’s nice to finally meet you.” He smiles warmly at me and gives me a welcoming hug.

“It’s nice to finally meet you too and nice to finally… feel safe?” I try, nerves getting the best of me and I can’t help the blush creeping on my cheeks.

He laughs. “You’re safe with us, sweetheart. We’ll make sure of that.”

Kevin’s house is the biggest I’ve ever been in – ever. His wife, Kristin, is a gorgeous blonde who greets me with the same warm welcome her husband had. The main foyer is bigger than my house alone and it leads to a large dining room where about eight more people are sitting at the table. I’m introduced to AJ and Howie along with the boys’ management team and some of the security team. Everyone is ecstatic that Brian – the normal Brian – is back and they’re thanking me profusely but I still can’t wrap my head around it all.

The meeting is all business and I don’t say much as I listen. I find myself watching Brian from across the table as he looks over his rehearsal and tour schedule with management, signs contracts, and discusses what he needs to do to get back on track with the group. He’s a completely different person – no more smart or sarcastic remarks, no hesitation, no confusion or distance or mystery. He’s relaxed, in his element, laughing and joking around with his band mates. I smile just as he looks up and he gives me a smile and a wink back.

The meeting doesn’t last too long. Some of the management team has left while the security team stays behind with all five of the boys and I. We’re sipping on white wine and laughing at Nick’s antics when Brian takes my hand and pulls me up off my chair. Everyone is too busy conversing and joking around to pay mind to us as we slip out of the dining room.

“Where are we going?” I ask as he leads me through the kitchen and out into the vast backyard.

“I just want some time alone with you,” he murmurs, pulling me into his arms. I relax and stare out over his shoulder at the beautiful view of the backyard. The pool lights are on, illuminating the water and reflecting the light of the moon against the surface. In the distance, the city of Los Angeles is twinkling. In the craziness of this day, there’s nowhere I’d rather be than right here with him, in this moment. I’m in love with this man – deeply.

I pull back and look into his eyes. He gazes back at me with a small smile on his face. “Brian, I-“ I can’t seem to bring myself to say it and I give him a shy smile.

“Yes?”

“I’m just happy,” I say finally.

“Even after everything? You can run now, you know.”

I shake my head. “There’s no turning back from here.” I pause as Rooney’s raspy voice echoes in my head, making me shiver.

“Are you cold?” he asks, putting his arms back around me.

“No, I needed to tell you something.” I take a deep breath, feeling my heart quicken as I recall Rooney’s words. “When I met Rooney at the airport, he told me something. He said that you can’t hide me.”

He frowns at this. “Of course he’d say that. He’s just trying to get in your head.”

“I was thinking about it… and I know that, either way, if you and I aren’t together or pretend that we’re not together, he’ll still come after me. Because he knows that you already care.”

He nods slowly, taking this in. “I agree. I was thinking that same thing while I was on the flight here.” He sighs and presses his forehead against mine. “This is such a mess, baby. I’m sorry. But if it’s going to be that way, I’d rather you be by my side so I know you’re safe.”

“I don’t think it matters where I am,” I reply softly, my voice laced with fear. “He won’t stop until either he’s caught… or I’m dead.”

“Hey,” he pulls back and grabs my face gently. “Don’t talk like that. We got this.”

I bite my lip to keep the tears from coming. The sliding door behind us opens suddenly and we both jump back, startled. It’s Kristin and she gives us a sheepish smile. “Sorry,” she says. “But Detective Brady has just arrived and wants to see you guys.”

Brian groans. “Great, I was just starting to miss him.”

Detective Brady is sitting at the dining room table dressed casually in jeans and a blue polo. The atmosphere has turned serious again, all joking put on hold as he talks to the boys about the heightened security on this tour. He looks up as Brian and I walk in and gives me a tight-lipped nod.

“Ms. Cartier,” he acknowledges. “I apologize for what happened at the airport. It seems that our lack of judgment put you in harm’s way.”

I shake my head, waving it off. “I’m here now, safe and sound. I’d rather hear about what will happen from here on out.”

He nods and motions for us to sit. Brian sits next to me, not letting go of my hand. Resting his elbows on the table, Detective Brady begins and everyone in the room is all ears. “From here, every band mate will be assisted by two bodyguards to any public outing. There will be a security team patrolling Brian’s house at all times – that means twenty-four hours to ensure that no one can trespass. On tour, there will be security guarding the hotel room floors that the band mates as well as every member of the crew will be staying at. The security at the venues is pretty tight already, so we have no concerns there. To warn you all, there won’t be much room for privacy or freedom in the next little while until we finally catch Rooney and get him behind bars. I hope this won’t be an issue for anyone, taking into consideration that it is a serious threat that we’re facing.”

Heads nod around the room, everyone agreeing and understanding that this will need to be done for the safety of everyone around them. “Does the two bodyguards rule apply to me, too?” I ask in a quiet voice and feel Brian’s hand squeeze mine.

Detective Brady looks at me, surprised “Oh no, Ms. Cartier, our plans for you are much different.” He pulls out a manila envelope then, seemingly out of nowhere, and slides the contents out onto the table. There are several ID cards, documents, and different official-looking papers. “This is your new identification,” he tells me. To my horror, I see my picture on a driver’s license. I pick it up.

“Amanda Hemsworth?” I say incredulously. “Wait, this is a Hawaii driver’s license.”

He nods. “Yes, Ms. Cartier. They’ve received your luggage in Vancouver that was checked in and will be sent here to L.A. As soon as we get clearance, you’ll be travelling to Waikiki, which is a good place to put you in hiding as it is a popular tourist spot. Like I said before, Rooney doesn’t like crowds so you’re safe-“

“Wait, hold up,” Brian cuts in, putting a hand up. “Are you telling me that you’re taking my girlfriend halfway across the ocean to live in Hawaii with a completely different identity?”

“Yes, Mr. Littrell, that is the plan.”

Brian shakes his head and stands up then, releasing my hand. “And what good will that do? Isolate her? Keep her in hiding, with no contact whatsoever from her family and her loved ones?” Everyone is watching Brian now, surprised at his outburst. “No. No. I don’t approve of this. I want her with me, near me.”

“Mr. Littrell, I know that being physically separated in a relationship is hard but this is with the safety of Ms. Cartier in mind.”

“I can handle being physically separated. With all due respect, Detective Brady, I’ve been in relationships before where I’m on the road for months on end. That I can handle. What I can’t handle, though, is not knowing where London is, if she’s even safe, not knowing what’s going on. Whether we’re physically together or not, or forced to not be in a relationship, it’s too late. Rooney knows I care about London, and he won’t stop until he has her in his hands.” He pauses, his chest rising with every breath. “If we run from this, we’ll always be running. If he finds her there, she’ll have to run to a different place under a different identity. I don’t want to run. I don’t want her to become a victim and living in fear.”

“Mr. Littrell-“

“No, Detective Brady. The answer is no.” Brian’s voice is firm, almost angry. “We’re going to live as much a normal life as possible if I have to protect her myself.” He’s talking through gritted teeth now. “The safest thing for her to do is be around all of us, all of this security. She’s going on tour with us, whether you like it or not. And if you think this is unsafe, then you better up your security a hundred times over until you know damn well that nothing, nothing will ever happen to her.”

With that, he grabs my hand and pulls me to my feet. I’m stunned, my mouth slightly open, eyes wide and looking at everyone around the table who has the same expression on their faces. I shrug at them apologetically as Brian drags me out of the room and out the front door.