- Text Size +


I wake up in a sweat, heart pounding, and eyes wide. I look around me, frantically searching the room but it’s empty. The moon light seeping through the wide open windows cast dark shadows against the wall. I sit back, willing my breathing to slow down. Beside me, Brian is fast asleep – shirt off and hair tousled. I sigh and run a hand through my damp hair. It was just a dream. A horrible dream where Rooney is walking towards me, grinning with his gold teeth glinting, knife in hand… slowly advancing. I shudder. Suddenly feeling claustrophobic, I stand up and make my way to the kitchen in the dark. I flick the light switch on, pour myself a glass of water, and down it one gulp. The cool liquid feels good against my dry throat and my mind clears a little.

After Brian’s outburst at Kevin’s house, he took me back to his place. It’s a beautiful modern, million dollar condo in the heart of downtown Los Angeles - way up high and overlooking the city. The floor is dark wood, all steel appliances, and black furniture. I find myself on the balcony, breathing in the cool California night air. The wind blows at my hair gently and I hug myself as I stare out into the distance. My life has literally turned upside down in a matter of a couple of days and I’ve barely had to time to grasp it. Thoughts circle my mind and I dwell on one that seems to speak volumes to me at this moment – is this all worth it?

-

Worry and fear immediately grips me when I wake up to an empty bed beside me. I sit up and search the room but she’s not there. Breathe, Brian. I remind myself that there is security patrolled just outside of my door and on the premises downstairs. I stand and make my way down the hallway and into the kitchen. My mind eases when I see her on the balcony, her back to me. She turns around as I approach her and gives me a breathtaking smile. God, she’s beautiful.

“Are you okay?” I ask, taking her into my arms. She wraps her arms around my neck, lacing her fingers through my hair and I shiver slightly. Her touch sends electricity down my body – the things this woman could do to me.

“Yeah, I was just out here trying to clear my mind,” she replies. I give her a soft kiss on the lips and lightly place one on her forehead.

“What are you thinking about?” I murmur, rubbing her back gently. She sighs and I pull back to search her face. They’re filled with confusion and I can almost see the push and pull going on in her head. Oh no.” “You’re not having second thoughts about us are you?” My voice is quiet, nervous.

She shakes her head. “No, no. It’s not that. It’s just…” She pauses, searching for the words. “It’s just that my life has changed so much in so little time. I mean… I’ve barely stepped out of Canada and now I’m about to see the whole world with you.”

I smile and tuck a strand of hair behind her ears. “I know it can be overwhelming and everything is so uncertain. But, I’m here every step of the way and we’ll take this one day at a time. That’s all we can do. The attention, all of this…” I motion to our surroundings. “This is all material things, the fame is just on the surface of what matters. Do you trust me?” I take her hands in mine, bringing them to my lips.

She nods. “Yes.” Her voice comes out in a whisper, her light hazel eyes burning into mine. Those eyes that can see right through to my soul.

“Then I promise you, London Cartier, that you’ll be safe with me. I won’t ever let anything happen to you. We’re in this together, every step of the way.” I give her another kiss. “At the same time, I don’t want you to do something that you don’t want to. We can figure out a way.”

She shakes her head, her eyes not leaving mine. “It’s worth it.”

“Do you mean that?” I whisper, my heart and stomach doing funny flips.

“Every word.”

“Then... I got your back, babe,” I grin and she grins back at me, giggling as I scoop her up into my arms.

-

From a distance, a man sits watching the young, happy couple laughing on the balcony. He drums his fingers on the steering wheel of the white van, his gold pinky ring glistening against the light of the surrounding lampposts. He runs his tongue over his teeth, pausing at the gold tooth before his mouth turns into a sly grin.

“What are we waiting for, boss?” His nephew, Nathan, is nearly bouncing up and down on the passenger’s seat, eyes filled with excitement, the shotgun lying on his lap. “I can aim from here and take her down so easy.” He laughs as he forms his thumb and index finger into an imaginary gun. “BAM!”

Rooney glances at him and shakes his head slightly. “In due time, my nephew.” He chuckles a menacing, evil laugh. “In due time.”

To be continued…