- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here's a Howie Story, enjoy :O)

 

 

 

Role Reversal

 

Howie

 

 

It was weird being back as five. Don’t get me wrong, it was a good weird, but still weird all the same. Nothing was weirder than this house though. Leave it to AJ to find this place. It was a little spooky if I could be one hundred percent honest. The art on the walls made me grimace every time I walked by.

 Of course I was given the room across from a huge piece of artwork that had a guy’s penis staring at me just as I walked out the door. I’m pretty sure that was strategic planning on Nick’s part since he laughed his ass off when he saw me walk into this bedroom with my bags.

Whatever, wait until he sees the ten foot sculpture of a big toe in his bedroom!

After getting in so late last night, we didn’t really get that much sleep. We ended up sitting around the huge dining room table and talking the night away. It felt good to do that. We all had so much to say and for once it wasn’t just dominated by one of us while the rest sat quietly listening and by rest I really mean me. That’s how it used to be, they would all talk, and when I felt a lull, I would offer my opinion only to be ignored as the louder guys managed to overtake the conversation. It was one of the things that bugged me. I usually would end up just sitting in a corner with my arms defensively folded in front of me. They used to ignore that too!

After Kevin left, the attitude kind of went with him, not that he was the one that initiated that kind of behavior because he wasn’t.  Just that now I think the others looked to me to supply the kind of direction he used to. They were lost and I was the one that suddenly had to have us all find ourselves.

It was the first role reversal that happened after he left the group.

Now that he was back, I was a little curious to know how things would pan out. Would things go back to the way they were before? Much like the old songs and how we were forced to change them around, would that same thing be applied to our lives in general? Just go back to the same old, same old.

Last night, I took a minute while everyone was eating the food we brought back from a kebob place down the street, to just watch and observe.

Kevin sat at the end of the table with his greasy burger and fries. He listened as Brian talked about the album and occasionally spoke up, but for the most part he was quiet as he chomped silently away. Sitting right next to him was Brian who was eating some falafel and doing most of the talking last night. He had ideas, big ones and I think he really wanted to share them before they flew completely out of his mind. He occasionally looked around the table to all of us and would often stop to make sure he wasn’t leaving any of us out. I was sitting across from Brian with my gyro and fries, nodding and getting excited about a lot of what I was hearing. Next to me was AJ who was humming to himself like an autistic child for some reason. That’s a new thing I’ve noticed with AJ. He now hums as he eats. When I first brought it to his attention he laughed and said it was Rochelle’s fault. That ever since she became pregnant, when she really enjoyed something she would hum and bounce as she ate. Now he sat there doing just that with his burger and shake. Finally, sitting one seat away from AJ was Nick with his Tabouli salad and water. He had his headphones around his neck and was listening intently to everyone. There was no zoning out but pure concentration. Oddest still, he was taking notes as Brian spoke. Actually as we all spoke. When I asked him what he was doing, he said “I’m taking notes, what does it look like I’m doing?” As if this was a normal thing. Stupid me, I guess.

Anyway, we had a great conversation and it made us all really excited to get to the studio the next day.

I shifted in my bed when we finally decided it was best to try to get a few hours of sleep even though our schedules were way off. Heading off to the studio with no sleep would be dumb; we’ve been there and done that before. When we were freely spending other people’s money it was one thing, but this time we were footing the bill so there would be no such thing as wasted studio time.

While lying there and trying to ignore the incredibly creepy picture of a small child holding what looked like a dead rabbit, above my bed, I once again thought back to how our roles changed once Kevin left. Instead of all of us sitting back and letting him handle the tough questions and big decisions, suddenly we all stepped up to the plate. Nick seemed to handle the job as our new spokesperson. The dumb little kid who could barely get through an interview without coming off as ‘special’ was now incredibly well thought out and well spoken. When the hell did that happen?

Brian seemed to take over some of our business tasks. I know people think it’s me, but it’s really him. It used to be me, but he also has a knack for that end of things so he was in charge of keeping up with the record companies and management and making sure we were always on the same page. AJ and I were the music people. We always had new songs and ideas in our heads and were the ones who seemed to be able to verbalize those thoughts the best when it came to telling potential producers what we were looking for. I also tried my hand at PR and was pretty good at it. I’m the one that decided this whole New Kids thing was a good idea. It took a while for everyone else to climb aboard the Hangin’ Tough Train though.

Would all that change now? What role would Kevin play in all of this?

The next morning, well technically afternoon I guess, I had my answer.

Walking towards the dining room which I quickly realized would be our new hang out area, there was a very amusing argument going on between our oldest and youngest member of the group. Hearing the two of them fighting wasn’t unusual, it was the source of the argument that was a bit odd.

 

“Dude, and you need to pick those shoes up and put them in your room…”

“After breakfast.”

I came in and smiled at the two of them as I sat down. Kevin was once again at the head of the table. This time Nick was standing off to the side, arms folded in front of him.

“What’s going on in here?” I asked slightly amused.

“I almost killed myself this morning when I was going out for a jog. I tripped over Kevin’s shoes that he left in the middle of the hallway last night.”

I gave Kevin a glance as he shrugged and took a sip of coffee.

“Sorry about that, I took them off after I went out and bought this.” He said as he grabbed something that smelled great out of a paper bag. “I didn’t realize I took them off right in front of your door.”

“Well, try to be more aware of what’s going on next time.”

Kevin smiled, “Yes sir, anything else?”

“Well actually, shouldn’t you be eating a little healthier? I mean you did have a burger and fries at midnight last night.”

He was about to take a bite of what looked like a really greasy egg and cheese sandwich but stopped when Nick said that. I wonder where he got that. It smelled so good!

“You’re poor heart is probably crying right now.”

I actually laughed out loud when he said that which made Kevin give me one of his looks. I could tell he was trying not to smile as Nick continued to lecture him about eating healthy.

“I mean, you’re almost the big four – oh, Kevin! You need to start thinking about that and take better care of yourself.”

“Yes, you are right, Nick.” He put his sandwich down and put it back in the bag. I thought about stealing it from him for a second but didn’t much feel like getting a lecture from a boy who used to think a chocolate shake counted as a breakfast food as long as you threw some cereal in there.

This gesture took Nick by pleasant surprise as he grabbed the bag and smiled. “Alright then, we have some cheerios, you want some of those?”

“Sure thing.”

“I’ll have a bowl too, Nicky.”

Nick looked over at me and nodded. “Two bowls of cereal coming up!”

When Nick walked out of the room I smiled at Kevin who did the same in return. “Well, that was weird.” He said as he took another sip of coffee.

“He’s on a health kick.”

“Good for him, although my guess is he’s in there eating it right now.”

I nodded, “Sleep well last night?”

“Actually, yes I did. The bed was hard but comfy. What about yourself?”

“Not really. I think I was just too excited about today.”

“I can’t wait to get into that studio!” Kevin let out a sigh and smiled again. It was nice to see him as excited as he was.

“Morning all!” Brian said standing in the doorway with AJ in toe.

“Good morning!”

“I had dangling penises over my bed last night.”

“Dangling penises?” I asked amused as Brian sat down and poured himself a cup of coffee.

“Several dangling penises.”

“Okay…”

“It was a penis mobile, isn’t that what you’d call it, AJ?”

“If I had to give it a name, then yes.”

“Is Nick awake yet?”

“Speaking of penis mobiles…” Kevin said under his breath just as Nick walked back into the room with two bowls of cereal.

“Wow, you waitressing for us this morning, Carter?”

“No, just making sure we’re eating healthy.”

“I’ll take a bowl of that as well.” Brian stood up, “But I’ll get it myself.” He jumped up and darted into the kitchen.

“I feel like something more substantial!” AJ said as he rubbed his stomach.

“I do have an untouched egg and cheese sandwich in the kitchen which you are welcome to if healthy boy allows you to have it. I mean you’re not about to turn the big four – OH like me, so maybe you won’t have a heart attack and die.” Kevin used his quotey fingers on the four oh part.

AJ seemed confused but once again I laughed out loud. I have a feeling this month is going to be highly entertaining.

“Actually…I threw it out.” Nick said sitting down and shrugging, “Sorry J.”

Kevin closed one eye and squinted over at Nick as another small smile made its way to his face, “Really?”

“Yeah.”

“Then what’s that on the corner of your mouth? It looks a lot like cheese.”

He was about to say something, making up some kind of lie but instead he broke out in a small fit of giggles, “Okay fine, you got me! I ate your damn sandwich!”

Kevin stood up and pointed at Nick, “I KNEW IT!”

“I was hungry and the damn thing smelled so good.”

“Next time go buy your own!”

This little exchange would never have happened years ago.  Things would have ended badly and the day would have been ruined. Funny how little things like that used to ruin entire days in our Backstreet life.

After eating our ‘light’ breakfast we were off to the studio. We piled into a van together all ready to make music. I sat beside Kevin who closed the door and whispered, “I purposely left my sneakers right in front of Nick’s bedroom door. Maybe I’ll go two for two tonight!”  

I nodded, amused at another role reversal.

A new set of thoughts flooded my mind as we drove to the studio. No longer was I afraid of what was going to happen, or how much things might change, instead I was looking forward to it.