- Text Size +

 

Every Road Leads Back

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 15

 

            Around 1:30 in the morning, everyone starts getting sleepy. Even though she and Nick are a lot closer, Giselle leaves him to sleep on the couch. When AJ comes in to sleep on the air mattress in her room, he says, "What, no Nicky in here?"

            She turns her back on him and lays down, saying, "If you're gonna be a jerk, get out."

            He sits behind her on the bed and says, "Elle...I'm sorry, I was just kidding."

            She sighs and says, "AJ, stop teasing him, ok? It really bothers him."

            He's quiet for a minute and then he says, "Elle, before you go to sleep, can I talk to you? Seriously?"

            She sits up and turns to face him, saying, "What's wrong?"

            He says, "Nothing.  I just...I want to talk about Nick, ok?" She nods and he says, "I know that Nick likes you.  But, he's been...around, Elle. Don't...don't let him talk you into...anything...if you're not ready."

            Thinking about what they did, she blushes.  AJ averts his eyes and she says, "We didn't.  But AJ, even if we did..."

            He says, "I just don't want you to let him con you, ok?  I love him, I do. He's a really good friend. I just don't want you to get hurt."

            She hugs him and says, "I'm a big girl, AJ. I've been through a lot. Nick won't push me to do anything I'm not ready for ok?" He nods as he hugs her. She says, "I do like him, AJ."

            He sighs and says, "I know. I think he likes you too."

            After she hears AJ snoring quietly, she thinks about what he said. He ‘thinks' Nick likes her.  Nick's ‘been around'.  Nick said he hadn't...I mean, it was obvious he'd been with a girl, but he swore he'd never done anything with anyone. That he was as much a novice as she was. So why does AJ's warnings bug her so much. Deciding to find out how Nick really feels, she crawls out of bed to go ask him.

            The place is dark. She tiptoes into the living room to find the couch is empty. She looks everywhere. No Nick. She goes back to her room and grabs her cell phone and heads outside to call him. Unfortunately, it's dead because she didn't plug it in, so she grabs AJ's.

            Once she's outside, she finds Nick's number in his phone and places the call. When he answers his words are kind of slurred and he says, "What? Fuck AJ, I'm busy, what do you want?"

            She hears a decidedly female voice say, "Who's AJ?"

            Clearing her throat, Giselle says, "It's not AJ. It's me."

            He says, "G? Giselle, what..."

            She says, "I wanted to spend some time with you. I came out and found you gone. I was worried. Now that I know you're ok, I'll leave you alone."

            He says, "G, wait, it's not..."

            Before he can say anything else, she turns off the phone, feeling like a fool. Then again, they don't have a ‘commitment' as it were. No one made promises. But after what they shared, Giselle just assumed...well, we all know what she assumed.

            She sits on the porch a long time, trying to figure out what she's going to say to Nick. When AJ sits beside her, he scares the daylights out of her. Before she can scream, he clamps his hand over her mouth and says, "Whoa, it's me Elle. What's wrong?"

            She sighs and says, "Nothing. Just thinking. Why are you up?"

            He hands her her cell phone and says, "It kept ringing. You didn't turn it off when you plugged it in."

            She takes it and says, "It's Nick."

            He sighs and says, "What did he do?"

            She says, "Why don't you ask him when he shows back up. I'm going to bed."

            He says, "Giselle, listen. He's young and he's a guy so that makes him stupid. It wasn't that long ago I let my dick do all the thinking. I think he really likes you."

            Thankful he can't see her blush, she says, "It's ok, AJ. I'm not his girlfriend and he doesn't have to answer to me."

            She stands up and goes back in. He sits on the porch and waits. Less than ten minutes later, Nick shows up. Even in the moonlight, AJ can see he's staggering. When he makes it to the porch, AJ says, "Nick, I swear to God if you hurt Giselle I'll kick your ass."

            Nick says, "I don't want to hurt her AJ. I just...I couldn't sleep, I went out. No big deal. I didn't realize I needed PERMISSION."

            AJ grabs his shirt and says, "This isn't about getting permission you dickhead. It's about a girl who's in a fragile state of mind that for some unknown reason decided to fall for you. If you don't want to be in a relationship then stop ACTING like you do and tell her. If you're with her or not, I don't care, but I will NOT let you hurt her. Understand?"

            Nick snorts and says, "Oh look at you, Mr. High and Mighty.  You fuck anything that moves and Lindsay is supposedly your girl. What's gonna happen when you go back to New York? Gonna conveniently forget all the other women and once again be her man?"

            AJ says, "My relationship with Lindsay is none of your concern."

            Nick says, "And mine with Giselle is none of yours. She's an adult AJ. She makes her own choices. I'll apologize for sneaking out and drinking, but what happens between us is none of your God damn business."

            Before Nick can go inside, AJ says, "I mean it Nick. Don't hurt her."

 

            When Giselle gets up the next morning, she's not sure what to do. She took the next four days off work to spend with AJ and Nick. Now she's wishing they'd call her in. Before she can call and ask for hours, AJ sits up and says, "Good morning. How did you sleep?"

            Seeing him shirtless is nothing new.  But why is it seeing him sleepy and shirtless making her feel funny? She says, "Fine. You?"

            He says, "Giselle...we need to talk."

            She shakes her head and says, "No we don't. Nick doesn't have to answer to me."

            AJ throws aside the sheet and crawls into bed with her like it's an everyday occurrence.  He lays down beside her on his side and says, "Listen...I know you like Nick. He likes you. Last night, I think he was feeling a little out of sorts cause I was in here and he wasn't."

            She stares at him and says, "But AJ..."

            He says, "I'm not saying do the guy...but he could have slept in here and me take the couch."

            She sighs and says, "But he was with a girl last night."

            AJ says, "He was at a bar getting hit on. He was here less than ten minutes after you came in, freaking out. You need to talk to him."

            She says, "He really came back?"

            AJ smiles and says, "He did. Just talk to him ok? And tonight, I'll take the couch...ok?"

            She hugs him and says, "Thanks AJ. I'm sorry if I snapped last night."

            AJ jumps up and gets dressed, saying, "Don't worry about it." He kisses her cheek and says, "I'm going outside for a smoke. Just...remember what I said."

            After he leaves, Giselle feels a little better. It concerns her that Nick was drinking, but knowing he came back...well, maybe he does care. Before she has time to dwell on it, there's a timid knock on her door. Thinking AJ forgot something, she raises her voice and says, "I'm decent. Come in."

            When Nick walks through the door, surprise is etched on her face. He says, "G, before you kick me out...I want to say I'm sorry."

            She says, "Nick, there's nothing to apologize for. You're an adult. You don't have to answer to me."

            He says, "But you're kind of my girlfriend. I shouldn't have left last night."

            She says, "You...think I'm your girlfriend?"

            A look of horror crosses his face and he says, "Don't you? I mean, after yesterday, I thought..."

            She says, "Me too, but you never said anything and well..."

            He says, "Can we back up a second?" She nods and he says, "Do you regret yesterday?" She blushes and shakes her head ‘no'. He says, "Do you...would you...want to be my girlfriend?" She nods shyly. He comes over to the bed and sits beside her. He whispers, "Good morning, G."

            She leans closer to him and whispers, "Good morning Nick."

            When he kisses her, her body immediately responds and he knows it.  He can feel her nipples harden through the thin tank top she's wearing. Groaning, he pushes her back on the bed and stretches out beside her, bringing his long body down to partially cover hers.

            When their lips part, she whispers, "Would you...want to sleep in here tonight?"

            Keeping his excitement under control, he says, "Only if you want me to. What about AJ?"

            She says, "He can sleep on the couch."

            Nick laughs and says, "Do I have to sleep on the air mattress?"

            She says, "Only if you want to."

            His smile makes her ache. He says, "I won't push...well I'll try not to push. But Giselle..."

            She says, "I'd like you to sleep in my bed."

            Before he can reply, Kendall knocks on the door and says, "Come on Giselle. We're getting ready to hit the beach. This party's gonna rock, let's GO!"

            Giselle keeps her eyes locked on Nick's and says, "We'll be down soon."

            Nick leans down and kisses her once more. When their lips part, he whispers, "I'm...I really like you Giselle. All I can think about is being with you."

            Knowing she's falling hard for him, Giselle whispers, "I really like you too, Nick."

            He kisses her again and says, "I'm glad you're my girlfriend."

            She whispers, "Me too."

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please let me know! :)