- Text Size +

 

Every Road Leads Back

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 02

            AJ watched the girls fade from sight. Brian says, "They're cute man!  And that kiss!  WOW!" Denise pretends not to listen, but on the inside, she's wondering just how innocent her little boy is.

            AJ takes the ribbing good naturedly and says, "What can I say, Gentlemen? Beautiful women love me."

            They all laugh. All but Nick. AJ sits beside him and says, "What's wrong, Kaos? Not up for girl-talk?"

            Nick pushes him away and says, "Just leave me alone!"

            Nick turns away. AJ starts to say something, but his mother gets his attention and says, "Enough boys. Get some rest."

            AJ starts to move away from Nick, but before he does, he says, "I'm just playing Nick. My friends are great, trust me. Next time we're home, you can hang out with us and you'll see."

            Nick turns to AJ, not sure he can trust the older boy yet. He says, "For real?"

            AJ says, "Sure man. Trust me, my friends are great. You're gonna love them." Turning back to his mom, he says, "When's lunch? I'm hungry."

 

            Life at school moved on for the girls.  Not long after AJ left, Lorelei announced she was moving to Denver. Her Dad got transferred out there. They had a big party for her send off, but it sends Giselle into more of a funk.

            Meagan throws herself into her art, focusing mainly on photography. She's so good, she's put on the school paper and the yearbook committee which is great for her.

            Even Kendall throws herself full force into cheerleading. She has practice almost every day.

            All this just makes Giselle even more lonely. She picks up her phone on more than one occasion to call AJ then backs down. Everyone has something going on in their life. She doesn't want to be the downer of the group.

 

            Summer comes and all the girls get part time jobs. They hang out every Thursday and Sunday night, giving each other makeovers and talking about how much fun senior year is going to be.

            School's been in session a couple of weeks when Giselle starts skipping the girls' time together. First she blames work, then Kendall and Meagan both realize she's been lying to them. Meagan went by where she worked only to find she had quit weeks earlier, with no explanation.

            Kendall and Meagan are sitting at Starbucks and Meagan says, "Why would she lie to us?"

            Kendall says, "Something must have happened with her mom. She's been evasive when I ask about it. Did she say something to you?"

            Meagan says, "No, but I haven't seen her much. It's like she goes out of her way to avoid me."

            Kendall says, "Me too. I'm going to go over and find out what's going on."

            Meagan says, "Maybe you should tell her about Shawn too. You're not going to keep that quiet forever."

            Shawn Maxwell is the star of the basketball team and he and Kendall had been out a few times. Kendall hadn't said anything because she wasn't sure how serious it was. Until Shawn asked her to wear his ring. She sighs and says, "Yeah, I guess I should. Want to go with me?"

            Meagan says, "I can't. Yearbook meeting. Call me and let me know what's going on."

            Meagan leaves and Kendall calls Giselle. She says, "Hey, can I come over? I need to tell you something."

 Once she's there, they settle on the trampoline to talk and Kendall says, "I'm dating Shawn Maxwell."

            Giselle's mouth falls open and she says, "What? What about AJ?"

            Kendall says, "I'll always love AJ, but let's face it, he's not going to save himself for me.  You know how he is. We talked about it before he left."

            Giselle says, "I'm really surprised. I thought, you know, you had decided he would be the one..."

            Kendall laughs and says, "He almost was, Giselle. But neither of us was ready for that step. We did some stuff, but we didn't go all the way." When Giselle gets really quiet and Kendall says, "What's wrong G?"

            Shaking her head, Giselle says, "Same thing. Mom bringing home all these men. I don't like how they look at me, Ken. It's starting to scare me."

            Kendall says, "Did you tell your mom?"

            Giselle snorts and says, "When is she sober enough to listen? I want to get out of here, Ken. I wish..."

            Kendall grabs her hand and says, "I wish AJ was here too. You know he'd take care of you."

            Giselle says, "But he's not. I have to take care of myself." After a pause, she says, "I went to the counselor at school.  My mom's going to be investigated I think."

            Kendall says, "But G, that's GOOD news!"

            Giselle shrugs and says, "What kind of daughter am I to turn in my own mother?"

            Kendall says, "Giselle, stop it! She's treated you like shit forever. She doesn't take care of you, you take care of her. It's not right!"

            Giselle says, "But what's going to happen now?"

            Kendall says, "Whatever it is, you've got us.  ALL of us. Did you tell AJ?"

            Giselle shakes her head and says, "I haven't talked to him in a while. He's probably busy."

            Kendall says, "Giselle, why didn't you tell Meagan and me?" When she doesn't say anything, Kendall says, "G, you don't have to be embarrassed around us. We're best friends, remember?  The Four Musketeers? All for one?"

            Giselle says, "I'm sorry, Ken. Really. I just don't think it's fair to ask all of you to deal with my problems."

            Kendall says, "Sleep at my house tonight. Come on. I don't want to leave you alone like this."

            Giselle says, "I'm not suicidal Ken. Besides, Mom will say no."

            Kendall hugs her and says, "Stop hiding this shit from me and Meagan and AJ. I mean it."

            Giselle says, "I promise. Now go, before she wakes up. I don't know what's going to happen."

            Before she leaves, Kendall says, "Call AJ, G. And call me if anything happens."

 

            But she never did call him. A week later, 17 year old Giselle Hunt was moved into a foster care facility for adult children. And she hated it. She cried herself to sleep every night.

            At school, things were different though. Everyone knew what had happened. They pitied her, but instead of making her feel like a freak, she was shown a lot of compassion. A couple of guys asked her out, which she politely refused. She knew Kendall and Meagan were behind all the support she was getting and she was eternally grateful her friends were doing everything in their power to help her through this.

 

            AJ was tired of the stupid buses. He wanted a bed that didn't move and twenty four hours of uninterrupted sleep. Not likely to happen with Nick and Brian playing video games.

            When his mom opens the curtain to his bunk and says, "AJ, Kendall's on the phone for you," relief floods through him. Finally, someone who won't talk about work. He answers it, saying, "Hey Girl, missing me?"

            She laughs and says, "You know it."

            He can tell just from the tone of her voice something's going on. He says, "What's wrong? Superstar dump you?"

            She says, "No, you dork. We're fine." After a brief pause, she says, "Has Giselle called you?"

            Instantly on edge, he says, "No. I called her house a few times, but you know how her mom is. When I call her cell, I get her voicemail." When she's quiet for more than a minute, he says, "What's going on Kendall?"

            By the time she's finished telling him what's been happening, AJ's crying. He whispers, "Kendall, she's my best friend. Why didn't SHE call me?"

            Kendall says, "She's embarrassed AJ. She hates the place she's living now. I'm worried about her."

            He says, "We have some time off coming soon. I'm supposed to spend it in Atlanta with the guys, but I'm coming home."

            Kendall says, "AJ, she'll hate me for telling you, but...she needs you. Meagan and I are trying but she won't let us...she won't let us be there for her."

            AJ says, "Why?"

            Kendall says, "After you and Lorelei left, I think she's afraid to let Meagan and I stay close. AJ I love her like a sister and my heart is breaking. She feels abandoned and alone."

            AJ curses under his breath and says, "I'm coming home, Kendall. Soon. I promise."

            After he hangs up, he lays down on his bed and thinks about Giselle. Her life with her mom was shitty for as long as he's known her.  Now that she's away from her and has a chance at being happy, she's miserable. Crawling out of the bunk, he says, "Mom, Elle needs me, I gotta go home."

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Curious to know what you think!  THANKS!! ~ D