- Text Size +

 

Every Road Leads Back

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 06

            A couple of days before prom, Kendall calls Giselle almost hysterical. She's crying so hard she's hiccupping, but Giselle manages to get the gist of the problem.  Shawn broke up with her.  By the time Giselle gets to Kendall's house, Meagan is there and Kendall is somewhat calmed down.

            When they settle in Kendall's room, Giselle says, "What happened, Ken?"

            Kendall sniffs and says, "He's a douche bag of epic proportions." When neither of them say anything, she says, "He cheated on me with Stacy.  He got mad at me because I wouldn't put out and he broke up with me so he could score with Stacy again on prom night."

            Giselle puts her arm around her friend and says, "He's an ass.  You can do better."

            Kendall says, "I know, but PROM? How can I go alone?"

            Meagan says, "You don't.  Ask someone."

            Kendall says, "Who? It's two days away, everyone has dates."

            Giselle says, "Ask AJ."

            Meagan and Kendall look at her like she's crazy.  Finally Kendall says, "You're off your rocker girl, he won't go with me."

            Giselle says, "Ken, come on.  AJ's coming with Nick tomorrow.  Ask him."

            Meagan says, "How do you know AJ's coming with Nick?"

            Giselle says, "Nick told me.  Come on, Ken, ask him."

            Kendall shakes her head and says, "I can't. This will just make things worse."

            Meagan says, "What do you mean worse?"

            She says, "AJ and I talked when they were here last time. He said Shawn was just using me.  Now he'll rub my nose in it."

            Meagan says, "He will not. AJ's not like that."

            Kendall says, "He will. I don't need a pity date."

            Giselle says, "Yeah, I didn't either, yet thanks to all of you, I asked Nick. So are you calling AJ or shall I do it for you?"

            When she takes her phone out, Kendall lunges for it.  Giselle manages to keep it away from her and runs into the bathroom, locking the door. Kendall says, "G, don't! Seriously!"

            Giselle says, "I'm dialing unless Meagan tells me you are."

            After a minute of silence, Meagan says, "She's got her phone out, G."

            Giselle sends AJ a quick text that says, "DON'T make Kendall feel worse or I'll hurt you."

            His reply was simply, "WTF?"

            Giselle giggles and walks out of the bathroom just as Kendall is saying, "Umm, hi AJ."

            She and Meagan relax on Kendall's bed so Kendall walks out of the room for privacy. Once she's gone, Meagan says, "Did you text him anything?"

            Giselle says, "Just told him not to make her feel worse.  Or else."

 

            Meanwhile, Kendall walks into the family room of her house and says, "I'm ok, I guess."

            AJ says, "What's wrong? You don't sound like yourself."

            She says, "I'm not. Shawn dumped me."

            Waiting for the ‘I told you so' she's surprised when he says, "I'm so sorry Kendall."

            His tenderness makes her remember how she used to love him. How she still loves him. She says, "I just feel like a fool. You were right and I didn't listen."

            He says, "I wish I had been wrong." After a minute of silence, AJ says, "So, who are taking to prom?"

            She says, "Well...no one I guess.  Unless..."

            She can't see his smile but she hears it. He says, "Unless I want to rent a monkey suit and go with you?"

            He can't see her blush but he knows it's there. She says, "Did Giselle...?"

            He says, "I haven't talked to her in a few days, so how would she possibly tell me anything?"

            She says, "I don't know. It just seems weird asking you."

            He says, "How about this? Kendall, it would be my pleasure to escort you to your prom, if you'd consider lowering your standards for a night. I mean, I'm not a jock...I'm just a lowly singer."

            She laughs as he intended and says, "AJ, are you sure?"

            He says, "What color tie should I get?"

            After giving him the information he needs, she says, "I should have listened to you. I was just so mad."

            He says, "It's ok. I'm just sorry the prick actually is a prick. You didn't deserve this."

            She says, "When are you coming in?"

            He says, "Tomorrow. Nick and I will be at my house."

            Kendall says, "Is he as excited as G?"

            AJ says, "Yeah. He's nervous too. He had our choreographer work with him on dancing so he'd look good."

            Kendall giggles and says, "They make a cute couple. But we can't push them. You know how G is."

            AJ says, "I know. Nick's the same way. He's pretty awkward around girls right now."

            Deciding to bring back the AJ she's always known and loved, she says, "What, you haven't taught him all your tricks to become a ladies' man?"

            She can almost see his ego growing as he says, "Oh, you know me...I like to keep all my secrets secret."

            She laughs and says, "AJ, thanks for going with me."

            He gets serious and says, "Thanks for asking. I thought I'd miss going to prom."

            She says, "I'm glad you're not going to miss it."

            After hanging up, AJ sends Giselle a quick text message that says, "Thanks for the warning. I owe you one."

            Giselle is still smiling when Kendall comes back into the room. Kendall says, "What's so funny, G?"

            Giselle smiles at her and says, "AJ's excited about taking you."

            Kendall says, "You did say something to him!"

            Giselle says, "No, I didn't. You know better than that. He's really excited to be going with you."

            Still not sure she believes her, Kendall says, "Just don't interfere ok? We're not dating...we're just friends."

            Meagan laughs and says, "And where do the best romances start if not with friendship?"

 

            The girls decide to get ready at Kendall's house. Meagan's mom and Paula show up to get pictures of their girls with their dates. Giselle is giddy with excitement and grateful that Paula is treating her like her own daughter. She can't help but feel a little melancholy that her own mother isn't a part of this, but that relationship is finally over. Pushing away the sad thoughts, the butterflies in her stomach take over as the doorbell rings.

            The girls are in place on the stairs. Kendall at the bottom, being the tallest, two steps above her is Meagan, two steps above her is Giselle. When Kendall's mom opens the door, she greets AJ with a hug, but he can't take his eyes off his childhood friends. Especially Kendall. He whistles and says, "This can't be the same three girls that threw mud pies at me cause I said they looked too runny."

            All the girls giggle and Meagan's mom says, "AJ, look at you boys, you look so handsome." And they did. AJ and Brian had on black tuxes with ties to match their dates. Nick had on a white tux with a turquoise vest and tie to match Giselle's. When his eyes meet hers, neither of them can look away. Finally Meagan's mom says, "Come on girls, let's get some pictures of you with your dates and you can go have fun."

            AJ walks up to Kendall and extends his hand. When she takes it and steps up beside him, he says, "You really do look beautiful. Thank you for asking me."

            She smiles up at him and says, "Thanks for not saying ‘I told you so'."

            With a smile on his face, he says, "I'd never do that to you, Kendall. I never wanted to see you hurt."

            They walk into the living room as Brian holds his hand out to Meagan. Meagan steps closer to him and takes it, saying, "Thanks for coming."

            He says, "I wouldn't have missed it Meagan. Thank you for asking me. You look beautiful." She blushes as he leads her into the living room.

            Giselle walks down to meet Nick. He takes her hand and says, "You look amazing."

            She smiles up at him and says, "Thanks. You look great too." Blushing, she says, "Thanks for being my date."

            He smiles and says, "Thank YOU for asking me."

            Once all the pictures are taken, they kids get ready to leave. Meagan and Kendall's mom's both extended their curfews until 2:00 am. Giselle didn't ask Paula to do the same, but she pulls Giselle aside and says, "You're 18 now, Giselle. Technically, you don't have to have a curfew, but if you can be home by 2, I'd appreciate it."

            Hugging her, Giselle says, "I will be. Thank you for everything."

            Paula kisses her cheek and says, "You're family now, Giselle. Have fun."

 

            When the kids get into the limo hired for the night, AJ says, "OK, I couldn't do this in front of the mothers, but DAMN you girls look hot!" Kendall laughs and slaps his arm, Meagan beams, hanging onto Brian's hand and Giselle blushes, pressed closely against Nick's side.

            Brian says, "AJ's right. We've got the prettiest dates for tonight Gentlemen. So let's behave!"

He looks at Nick when he says it and Nick says, "What?"

            AJ says, "Oh, the girls don't know. Seems like Nick is a bit of a jokester."

            Kendall laughs and says, "Good thing he's G's date." Everyone laughs. Giselle catches Nick's eye and she can see he's embarrassed. She whispers, "Don't let him know he's getting to you. He'll back off if he thinks he can't ruffle your feathers."

            Nick smiles at her and says, "I don't mind. I do love pranks. I'd never pull anything tonight though."

            Lacing her fingers with his as if she's done it her whole life, Giselle says, "I never thought you would." When his eyes meet hers again, she whispers, "I mean it, thank you for coming."

            He smiles and says, "Believe me, it's my pleasure."

 

            When they step out of the car at the banquet hall, Kendall is beaming. AJ tucks her hand into his arm and says, "Let's show what a good looking couple we are."

            She giggles and says, "You do look good, AJ. I'm surprised you put on a tux."

            He smiles at her and says, "I'd do anything for you, Kendall." They walk in and pose for their picture, Kendall absolutely beaming with happiness. When she sees Shawn looking at her, standing decidedly alone, she almost laughs. Pressing tightly against AJ she smiles up at him, genuinely happy AJ is her date instead of Shawn.

            Meagan and Brian make their way inside, Brian covering Meagan's hand with his on his arm. He says, "I think it's safe to say I have the prettiest date here."

            She blushes as they pose for their picture, then she says, "Well I think I have the most handsome date, so it's a good thing we're together."

            He smiles and leads her away so Nick and Giselle make their appearance.  Meagan and Brian stand with AJ and Kendall and watch as Nick escorts her in the door. Kendall and Meagan almost start crying. Brian says, "What? What's wrong?"

            AJ says, "Brian, it's a long story.  Let's just say none of us ever expected to see Giselle looking as happy as she does right now." Turning his face to Kendall, he says, "I can't believe how she's changed."

            Kendall says, "She's away from that monster she had for a mother."

            AJ says, "Monster? What don't I know?"

            Kendall says, "I'll tell you later. Right now, let's enjoy the night."

            Nick has his arm around Giselle's waist which has her all excited and scared at the same time. Just before their picture is taken, she looks up at Nick and he says, "You really are so pretty Giselle."

            After the picture is done, he leads her out onto the dance floor, skipping refreshments all together. Once his arms are around her waist and hers are on his shoulders, she says, "I never thought I'd come to prom."

            He laughs and says, "Me either. But since I am here, I'm happy it's with the best date I could possibly have."

            She blushes and says, "You don't have to...I mean..."

            He says, "I'm serious Giselle. You're beautiful, you're smart, you're funny..."

            She blushes an even deeper shade of red and says, "Nick...thank you. I mean it."

            He smiles and her heart nearly jumps out of her chest. The world fades away when he leans down and gently kisses her cheek. When he pulls back he whispers, "I mean it."

            She whispers back, "I know you do. That's why it means so much to me."

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Love to know what you think!! :)