- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Just wanted to say how blown away I was by the response when I posted this story. Everyone's encouragement means a lot to me. I would also like to thank Mare, Julie, Sakabelle, Karah, Rose, Hattie, my best friend Alexis, and everyone that helped me with the research for this story. It means a lot :)

Especially Hattie, a lot of this was inspired by her. She was the one who pushed me when I was doubting myself.
Chapter 2


"All it takes is Faith and Trust..." - Peter Pan



My first week of classes went pretty well. I got hit on by one of the older girls, but she just didn't interest me. The professor thought I had potential and this made me a lot less nervous. Of course, I attributed that to my lucky Goofy pencil topper, I carried it with me everywhere.

Something I've always wondered, If Goofy is a dog and Pluto is also a dog.....why can Goofy speak and Pluto can't? Makes no damn sense.

When I got back to the dorm farm boy wasn't around, so I settled into my bed and took out my DVD player. Tonight's movie was Toy Story. Come to think of it....Brian reminded me a lot of Woody....I guess I would be Buzz?


Brian came moseying in halfway through the movie, carrying some books and looking tired.

"Lord have mercy, what a day." he said, falling into his bed and sighing. I ignored him, fully engrossed as I was sketching.

"Yep."

"You're not listening to me, are you?" Brian asked, staring at me.

"Not really."


I continued to ignore him as I worked on some sketches for class, and after a while he got the hint. His phone rang and I tried not to listen in.

"Yeah, Ma. I'm doing ok. Classes are going good but it is just my first week back. My roommate? No, he's not living with me anymore. I got a new one, he's different."

That was when my ears perked up. Did he forget I was sitting here? What the hell did he mean by different?


"He's interesting.....what? Yeah...I guess." Brian said as I rolled my eyes. I shut off the movie and picked up my sketch pad, heading out of the room. I didn't know why but I was highly annoyed by Brian being on the phone with his mother. I wished mine was still around, when I closed my eyes I could smell the cookies she baked for my 5th birthday...


"Mama...."


I could hear myself calling her, but she faded away and all I could smell was the lead from the pencil I was using. I felt my eyes water. There was no way I'd let him see me cry.


"I miss you too." Brian said.

I had to get out of there. I snatched up my sketch pad and took off, slamming the door behind me as I stormed off. I hate when I get like this. I am always upbeat but sometimes it hits me like this, I could feel the tears come already. I plopped down on the ground in the courtyard and just let it all out.


"Hey, kid. You okay?" someone asked me as I sat leaning against a tree, wiping my eyes. I hated thinking of them, especially when things have been going so well.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks." I smiled weakly at the guy. I finally stood up, my back was stiff....having no idea how long I'd been sitting for. He was really short....and wearing one of those red shirts that the Pikas had. He picked up my fallen sketch pad and studied it, nodding.

"Wow, these are really good. What are you studying?" he asked me with a wink. Or was it an eye twitch? Anyways, he kept complimenting me....which I was used to hearing from my professor, but not strangers.

"I'm trying to get into animation, those are some sketches I did for class. The name is Nick, by the way." I smiled at him, taking it back.

"That's pretty cool. I'm Howie. You sure you're alright? You looked pretty upset there." he asked. I took another breath to calm myself down.

"I just got something in my eye." I said, blushing a little. Pshh, like I need to act like a pussy in front of a frat brother....especially a frat I kinda had intentions of joining.

"It's ok, kid. You don't have to tell me. Did you just start here, or...."

"Howie! What you doing, bro? Jay's been looking for you." someone called.

"Guess you have to go, huh?" I laughed.

"Yeah. Why don't you come to one of our parties sometime? It is a great way to meet new people. I'm sure you don't know anyone yet, being new." Howie smiled. I nodded, he was right, I didn't know anyone but Brian, who bored me to death.

"Sure."

"Well this....is our address, we're having a party next Friday. You could bring your roommate if you like." he winked before running off to meet up with his friend. I stared after him....it couldn't hurt to go at least.





"Where were you?" Brian asked once I got back to the room. I slammed the door behind me and sat down on the bed, still ticked at him a little bit.

"Why do you care? Because Kevin asked you to look after me? I don't need anyone to do that, I've taken care of myself just fine." I hissed.

"Come on, you really think that? I just want to get along because we are roommates. Now what the heck did I do to get you all riled up?"

I couldn't handle his accent anymore, I fell backwards on my bed laughing, lapsing into a fit of giggles and holding my stomach.

"What did I do?" he asked, looking puzzled.

"Say 'there's a snake in my boot'. Do it." I begged.

"Why?"

"Pleeeeeeeeaseeeeee." I begged. He looked so confused and then smiled.

"There's a snake in my boot." he drawled. I swear to fucking god he is Woody. I busted out laughing again and he tossed his pillow at me, grinning.

"It's good to see you smiling again." he said.

"Sorry I snapped at you, parents are a touchy subject with me."

"Next time my mom calls I will take it outside if it upsets you." Brian said as I tossed his pillow back.

"You don't have to do that....sometimes it just hits me. I miss them.....I'd give anything to get them back." I replied.

"I know. They were good people." he said.

"They really were, they didn't deserve what happened. To be honest, I don't want to talk about them right now." I told him as I sighed. He nodded and I put Toy Story back on, he actually pulled up a chair and sat beside me.

Maybe he wasn't so bad.