- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Back with a new chapter after taking a break. Enjoy the Nick and Kevin time :)
Chapter 8

"What do you like doing best in the world?" -Christopher Robin
"What I like best is me going to visit you." - Pooh (Winnie The Pooh)



Kevin picked me up the Sunday before Thanksgiving. I'd been so busy with studies and pledging that I hadn't spoken to him in a while. I missed my Uncle Kev time.

Not sure he missed me or not.

"How's college?" he asked as we pulled into the driveway in Orlando. I wish I had taken my bicycle to campus. There's a reason why I don't like cars....after that night I use public transportation or my bicycle.

"Huh?" I said, zoning out. I rubbed the back of my neck with my hand and he helped me with my suitcase.

"I asked how college was going. Your grades have been good. Do you like your professors?" Kevin asked again.

"Yeah, they are pretty cool. I get along with everybody okay. Brian and I are getting to know each other." I said. I wondered how Brian was coping with the holidays not knowing his real father and it made me sad to think about it.

"That's good to hear. I was hoping you two would. You're not that different from each other, you know." Kevin said. We went inside and I settled into my room. The house seemed awfully quiet, I remembered it being much louder than this. Or was it my imagination?

We ate dinner in silence the first night I came back. I was tired and it had been a long time since I could just be Nick and not Nick the college kid. I went to my room and saw my parents picture still sitting on my night stand. I picked it up and smiled at my 5 year old self on my dad's shoulders.

"Nick, you all right?" Kevin asked, rapping on the door a while later. I wiped my eyes and laid back in bed, putting on a fake smile.


"Yeah, I'm fine."


I hated lying to him but I was supposed to be over this now, wasn't I?




Thanksgiving came up quick and I was more chatty closer to it than before. I told him about pledging and about my classes, told him about Brian....but I was afraid to tell him about the Pikas. I wasn't sure how he'd react to them knowing how they were notorious on campus.

"Nick, as long as you aren't getting arrested....you're an adult now and having the full college experience."


"Really? I thought you'd be pissed about me joining a fraternity, honestly." I said, rubbing the back of my head with my hand. He shook his head at me and smiled.


"I didn't know you wanted to be in a frat, Nick. You know your dad and I were in college together with Brian's mom. We were all classmates."

This caught my attention.

"Wait, you guys know Brian's mom? I've been wondering why I never met Brian before." I said. We settled at the table with our plates of Chinese food and took out our chopsticks.

Kevin and I lived by ourselves and didn't have company, so on Thanksgiving we'd sit in our boxers and t shirts at the living room table, and put on a movie. Kevin let me choose, so naturally I picked Peter Pan. Movies with dinner was always a tradition of ours and I highly enjoyed them. We might not be a normal family but I prefer it this way. Although one day I'd like to have a real Thanksgiving dinner like we used to when Mom and Dad were still here.
We settled in and began Peter Pan, me grinning like an idiot.

"I always loved this one, it's my favorite." I commented. Kevin shook his head at me as I used my chopsticks. He had taught me how to eat with them. I always thought that's why Chinese people were skinny, because you just can't eat fast with these things.

"It gave us a lot of trouble when you were younger." Kevin chuckled.

"Really? Why's that?" I asked, although I knew the answer. I had to laugh, because it is something he won't let me forget....not to mention I have a scar on my arm from my infamous incident.

"Nick, you tried to fly off the roof." he said, playfully hitting my arm.

"Jumping is similar to flying." I reasoned.

"No it isn't. You were ten and you climbed out the second floor window, holding a kite over your head to see if it would catch wind. How can you justify breaking your arm with 'jumping is similar to flying'?" he said, mocking my voice and eating his rice. I shook my head, grinning. I knew I was a handful as a kid.

Someone give Kevin a medal because he put up with me for so long.

"I can't believe I did that."

"This is why I wouldn't let you read Harry Potter."

"Harry Potter just came out this year. I'm pretty sure I won't jump off the roof again." I said, rubbing at my scar on my elbow.

"I'd better hide the broomsticks." he joked. To be honest, I'd not read the book yet....I had been way too busy.

"I wish I could fly. You know.....just take off one day and go wherever I wanted." I thought out loud, falling back onto the couch behind us. Kevin passed me the soy sauce and chuckled.

"You can do that now, but you don't need to fly. Just learn to drive."

Again with the driving thing. Kevin doesn't understand my fear of moving vehicles. I remember him trying to teach me......and me freaking out when a rabbit hopped in front of us. I hit it. I remember insisting we give Thumper a proper burial. He thought I was weird....but I had a soft spot for bunnies.

"Are you thinking about the Thumper incident?" he asked. How does he do that? I swear once you become a parent you gain superpowers. Kevin's superpower was reading minds and embarrassing me. He was perfect at both.

"Maybe." I whispered. Looking at the movie, I never noticed that Tinker Bell sure had a body. Well, for a fairy.

However, if I could pick a sexy Disney character.....definitely Jasmine. Definitely. Or maybe Ariel. I wonder how sex would work though. She'd have to be human first....

"Nick?"

I really gotta stop daydreaming.

"Focus." Kevin said.

"Sorry."


Kevin didn't say anything, he just ruffled my hair and smiled as my hand shot up to get my bangs out of my face.

"So where's that toilet seat you promised to send me?" he asked.

I had to laugh. Kevin may be old but he is still a kid at heart. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I made a mental note to ask Brian who his favorite princess was when I got back to school.