- Text Size +

 

I’ve just finished drying my hair and am just working on my make-up when Brian strolls into the bathroom, phone in hand and a guilty look etched on his face. I gaze at him quizzically through the mirror, a mascara wand to my eye.

“You’re gonna hate me,” he says, moving behind me to wrap his arms around my waist. He’s changed into a pair of dark grey slacks and a simple white button up, a simple silver Rolex watch peeking out from under his right sleeve.

“What did you do now?” I ask jokingly and he buries his face in my neck. I can barely hear what he says next.

“I totally forgot about the dinner with execs from the record label tonight,” he mumbles quickly before peeking up to look at my reflection in the mirror. His blue eyes are squinting at me, regarding me with an apologetic look.

I can’t help but feel a little disappointed; I was really looking forward to finally spending some quality time with him in between his hectic rehearsal schedule. But I take a deep breath and give him a reassuring smile. “I understand, baby,” I reply and he gives me a small smile back before turning me around.

“I’ll make it up to you, I promise,” he murmurs, cupping my chin in his hand and giving me a light kiss. “But, I’m taking you as my guest tonight. I mean, if you want. I understand if you don’t want to sit through some boring exec dinner.”

I shake my head and wrap my arms around his neck. “I’ve missed you all day. I think I can get through a couple hours of mamba-jamba that I probably won’t understand… as long as you’re sitting beside me.”

A cheesy grin forms on his face and he hugs me tightly, picking me up off my feet. “You’re the best.” I laugh and he gives me another kiss before placing me back down. “A car will be here to pick us up in about twenty minutes. I have to make a few phone calls, but I’ll meet you out in the living room when you’re ready?”

I nod and he gives me a wink before slipping out of the bathroom again. I look at myself in the mirror, not believing what my life has turned into. Million dollar estates, expensive cars complete with a chauffeur, bodyguards, fancy record label dinners, and life with a celebrity. I take a deep breath and let it out slowly, picking up my mascara wand and continuing as if nothing had happened.

-

Twenty minutes later, my hair is straightened and falling halfway down my back. I’ve done a smoky look for my eye make-up with clear gloss on my lips and have slipped into a light grey dress that falls just above my knees, with straps that make an ‘x’ across my back. I check myself once more in the mirror, step into a pair of black suede stilettos, grab a deep red clutch, and make my way to the living room. Brian is sitting on the black leather couch, fiddling with his cellphone, with a slight frown on his face. My heels click against the hardwood floor and he immediately looks up as I walk towards him. The frown on his face disappears and his eyes soften as he looks me up and down.

“Wow,” he breathes and I feel the blush creep on my cheeks as he stands to his feet. His blue eyes are burning into me as he closes the space between us, taking my hand and pulling me into his arms. “Why are you so beautiful?” He kisses my cheek, my ear, then my neck, sending a jolt of electricity down my spine. Just then, John one of the security guards, clears his throat by the door and Brian looks up, a slightly annoyed yet still polite look on his face.

“Sir,” John speaks up. “Your driver has arrived.”

Brian gives him a smile and pulls away from me. “Thanks, John,” he replies with a nod. He looks down at me and raises my hand to his lips. “You ready?”

I nod, my heart fluttering from his kiss. “As I’ll ever be.”

A few minutes later, we’re sitting in the backseat of the black SUV in silence. I’m staring out the window, watching the Los Angeles sunset glow beautifully in the horizon. I’m momentarily reminded of Banff’s beautiful sunset against the mountains and I let myself reminisce fondly. It’s hard to believe that Brian had moved in across from me just a few months ago. Suddenly, I remember his troubled look in the living room and glance over at him. He’s staring out the window too, with that same frown on his face.

“What’s wrong?” I ask softly and he’s pulled out of his thoughts. His gaze slowly turns to me and his brows raise up in question.

“What’s that, baby?”

“Is everything okay?” I ask again and he gives me a reassuring smile.

“Everything’s great, baby,” he tells me and reaches over to squeeze my hand. “I was just talking to Detective Brady before you walked in. They had a lead on Rooney doing some smuggling down near the Mexico border, but now they’ve lost him… again.” He says the last part in a sigh and I see the troubled look back in his eyes. “At least he’s nowhere near here.”

“Perhaps he’s gotten bored of us?” I suggest hopefully, though I know that’s a lost cause.

“Wouldn’t that be great,” he murmurs and gives me a small smile. “I was also talking to management about dinner. Apparently, it’s supposed to be a short one which is good. Just need to sign some contracts and what not.”

I nod. “Isn’t that a good thing?”

“Yeah, I just wish they’d set up some sort of short meeting for it and not a whole grand fancy-schmancy dinner, ya know?” He rolls his eyes and his troubled look turns into a tired one. “I was really looking forward to taking you out and just… hanging out.”

I smile and reach up to touch his jaw. “I think you just need a day off, a nice home-cooked meal, and a massage.”

He closes his eyes and sits back, allowing his head to relax against the seat. “That is exactly what I need, baby.” He sighs and I feel for him at that moment. I can tell his schedule is taking a physical and mental toll on him. “I’m just fighting to stay grateful for everything I have right now. I mean, I’m living the dream. Twenty-six years old, famous, wealthy, and doing what I love? I could do without the fame, but it’s all been a blessing.”

“I think once you get on an airplane and out to the see the world again, you’ll feel a lot better about all of this,” I reply quietly and he opens his eyes to look at me.

“You’re right. That’s my favorite part; seeing the fans.” He lets out another sigh and gives me a small smile. “It’s just hectic because I need to catch up. My disappearing act for those few months caught up to me.” He sits up again just as the SUV slows and pulls up in front of a white building with large pillars and a beautiful garden in the front.

“Only a couple more weeks, hun,” I tell him and give his hand a reassuring squeeze.

He grins and gives me a peck on the cheek. “Then I get to take you out on dates all over the world.”

My heart soars at this; the thought of finally being able to see different cultures and cities across the globe… and all expenses paid. Wow. Before this overwhelming thought can consume me, John opens the door and Brian steps out first before reaching his hand out to me. Immediately, I’m blinded by a light and I automatically assume that it’s headlights from another car pulling up behind us. Shortly after, another flash of light makes me stop but I feel Brian pulling me behind him. I suddenly realize that they weren’t headlights, but the bright flashes of cameras. Paparazzi. Wow, I did not even see them come up. Brian waves at them politely, still with my hand in his and I follow him up the stairs of the building and through the doors. I look back, relieved that the fiasco only lasted a few seconds. It’s only been my second brush up with paparazzi since that night at the airport. I see Nick climbing out of a different car and smiling cheesily at the cameras. I can’t help but giggle.

“He loves it, doesn’t he?” I say and Brian turns to me, a confused look on his face. He averts his attention back outside as Nick takes his time walking up the stairs, conversing with some reporters on the way. Brian rolls his eyes and gives me a knowing smile.

“He’s a ham,” he replies. “Come on, we’ll grab our seats.” I stifle a yelp as he grabs my behind playfully and squeezes.

“You are such a pervert!” I whisper jokingly as we approach a podium with a male host standing behind it. He’s dressed in a smart black suit with a white dress shirt and a black bowtie. Brian only grins and gives me a quick wink and informs the host of which party we belong to.

We’re led upstairs to a private room under the reservation “Jive Records”. Kevin, Kristin, Howie and his female guest, along with two members of their management team and a handful of security guards are already in the room; some seated at the table and some hanging around by the private bar. My mouth drops slightly at the extravagant chandelier hanging above the round oak table that seats a dozen people. Fine china and cutlery are set and a breathtaking arrangement of flowers is placed in the middle of the table. The S-shaped bar is all expensive dark marble illuminated under a blue light and another man is situated behind it serving the guests drinks; this one is wearing a crisp white dress shirt underneath a black vest and a light purple tie. In the corner sits a beautiful ivory grand piano, behind it a man in a penguin tuxedo softly playing classical music. It feels so… chic, and I suddenly feel important.

Brian and I greet everyone around the table and Howie introduces his female friend whose name is Chloe. I’m offered a glass of wine from one of the servers. Oh, Cristal. I take a glass and revel in the smooth, cold, and delicious taste. It’s the first time I’ve ever had Cristal and it tastes…well, wonderfully expensive. Nick finally enters the room, trailed closely by AJ who is wearing black nail polish, loose black dress pants, a silk black button up, a white fedora, and dark sunglasses. I’ve grown accustomed to his quirky sense of style – besides Brian, he’d be my favourite Backstreet Boy. I smile to myself at this and Brian eyes me quizzically. Before he can ask what I’m thinking about, two really important looking men walk into the room. I’m introduced to the balding one almost immediately. Barry Weiss – President of Jive Records. I nearly choke on my Cristal.

“It’s nice to meet you, sir,” I say as gracefully as I can, shaking his hand firmly.

He grins at me and then at Brian. “She’s beautiful, Brian.”

I blush at this but before I could reply, Mr. Weiss is quickly whisked away to be introduced to Chloe. I turn to Brian and he has his eyebrows raised at me. “Blushing, are we?” he teases and I roll my eyes at him. He leans over to kiss my cheek. “You are gorgeous, Ms. Cartier.”

“Why thank you, kind sir,” I reply lightly and his grin grows wider.

A few minutes later, everyone is seated at the large table and Barry and his assistant get right to business. I catch on to a little of the meeting’s details, including the new contract that had obviously been discussed and looked over with prior to this evening. I have a feeling, though, that this could have been discussed with other Jive execs – not the president himself. I can also tell that there is an underlying issue related to this fact, seeing that Brian has become increasingly uncomfortable and fidgety during dinner. I can also see the tension in Kevin’s face, AJ’s is hidden behind his glasses, Nick looks indifferent, and Howie is the only one who has managed to remain calm as Mr. Weiss continues to ramble on about contract issues that only sound foreign to me. I focus on my half eaten steak meal, but notice that Mr. Weiss and his assistant are the only ones who haven’t touched their plates.

Before I could gather what was happening, Mr. Weiss excuses himself and stands up. “Well, it was nice meeting with you all. I hope this has cleared up any confusion or miscommunication about the new contract. I understand that I have your word.” He looks directly at management before giving a warm smile around the table. “Though I would love to stay and chat, I unfortunately have another meeting with a newly signed artist. I hope you all enjoy the rest of your evening.” With that, he strides out of the room, followed closely by his assistant.

Brian’s shoulders relax a little, but the tension in his eyes remains. Jenn, a kind lady from their management team, stands up and produces a manila envelope from a briefcase. Wordlessly, she begins to hand out the fairly thick contracts to each band member and I watch as Brian signs it, that same troubled look in his eyes.

Once every contract has been signed and handed back to Jenn, conversation breaks out again and I take this opportunity to squeeze Brian’s hand. He looks up at me and I see the exhaustion in his eyes. “You okay?” I ask softly and he nods quietly.

“I think Kristen and I are going to head out,” Kevin says, his voice filled with strain. I catch Kristen’s eyes and she smiles warmly at me. I smile back. This woman must know so much about the goings-on with the band and everything that they’ve been through these past years. It must pain her to see her husband go through it, too. “I’ll see you all at rehearsals tomorrow.”

Brian looks at me then and there’s a glitter in his eyes that almost takes the tension out of them. “Let’s get out of here,” he says, a grin forming on his face. “Let’s just get out of here.”

“And go home?” I ask quietly. I didn’t really want to go home – I’ve been so holed up in that condo that it felt nice to be out at least.

He shakes his head and looks down at my half eaten steak, the untouched caviar, and the orange gourmet-looking gloop designed into a flower that I had pushed to the side of my plate. It’s mashed sweet potato – I think. “What would you really like to eat?” he asks, a hint of humour in his voice and his eyebrows raised.

“Honestly? I just really want an In N Out burger,” I giggle and there’s that grin on his face again. He reaches a hand out to me and I take it, the smile on my face growing.

“Sounds like the perfect date.”