- Text Size +

 

 

I stare at my gigantic piece of luggage now sitting in the trunk of the Lincoln SUV. I’ve squeezed as many articles of clothing as I could; probably the most I’ve ever packed, aside from my move to Banff. It’s about three months’ worth. Three months. I’m going to be gone for three months. And then only back for a little while, and it’s another few months on the road. This is the longest I’ve ever been away from home, ever. Excitement builds at the pit of my stomach at the wonders I’m about to see… everything that was so unreachable to me in books and magazines, now I’m off to see distant lands and the world. My head is swimming as I try to recollect my thoughts from the past week. It has all been such a blur.

After Brian’s birthday, we took a trip to his parent’s home in Kentucky where I met the Littrells, including his brother, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, and nephews. Mind you, I had to keep up with the deep Southern accents but they were the most welcoming, kind, and devoted Christians I’ve ever met. It gave me a deeper understanding of how Brian holds his family values so strongly. After a couple of days, we jetted off to Vancouver where I was more than happy to introduce Brian to my family. ‘Oh, he was worth the wait,’ Karen had joked, but I had agreed wholeheartedly. We went to a hockey game, ate at a restaurant by the pier, and watched movies all night with my brothers. I remember feeling so content at that moment… like nothing else could touch me, not even Rooney. In fact, I had forgotten all about him…

“Penny for your thoughts?”

I jump, startled out of my reverie and look up to see Brian gazing at me. I shake my head slightly and blink. “I… was just thinking of how much I’m going to miss my family.”

His face softens and he takes my hand, squeezing it gently. “I know, baby. That’s the toughest part. But, we’ll be back before you know it.”

I smile back at him. “Though I’m so excited to see Europe! I’ve never been.”

“I’m glad that your first experience there is with me.” He grins and gives me a quick kiss on the lips. “But if we keep standing here we’ll never make it to our flight.”

“Right!” I’m suddenly alert, eyes bright and he laughs softly at the eager look on my face.

“Come along, Ms. London. Our horse and carriage awaits!”

-

Our “horse and carriage” are first class seats in the largest airplane I’ve ever been on. Usually, I’m fidgeting around in my seat on airplanes, trying to find the spot that is the least uncomfortable while trying not to disturb the sleeping man beside me. This time, I’m in a large seat that feels more like a couch with as much room as I want to incline it. There’s about a foot of space between my chair and Brian’s. And you can set the temperature on the seat while it gives you a massage. There’s a TV screen in front of me playing Sex and the City and the stewardess has gone around at least ten times in the past hour offering glasses of champagne and truffles. Geez. So this is how the other side lives.

Brian has gone to sit by Nick for a while and I can hear their conversation about basketball filtering through the snores of Kevin. I fidget with the pillow behind my head until its fluffy enough and relax against my seat. Outside the small cabin window, it’s nighttime and the stars are out. As a child, I always used to think we were soaring right above the moon and that if I could reach out, I could catch a star. As I recall the memory, my eyes start to feel heavy and I could feel my body drifting off. Right before my eyes fully close, I see a pair of baby blues gazing at me then feel a light kiss against my temple. And then I fall into a deep sleep, dreaming of soaring above the clouds and tiptoeing from one star to the next with not a care in the world…

-

I’m startled awake by the sound of urgent voices, all hushed and secretive. I sit up, frowning and let my brain catch up, realizing that I’m still in the airplane and it’s still dark outside. I look around and notice that the other guys have left their seats and the voices are coming from the back of the airplane where the group and management have huddled at a table. I stand up, still feeling groggy and run a hand through my hair. My eyes lock with Brian’s, his eyebrows furrowed and worry evident in his eyes. The others follow his gaze and they all have the same worried look on their faces. I feel a jolt of panic and stand up straight as he approaches me, waiting for the news.

“Brian, what is it?” I ask, my voice filled with concern.

He sighs and sits me back down, taking the seat next to mine. “We just got word from Detective Brady that Rooney arrived in Sweden yesterday, the first stop for us.”

Something in the pit of my stomach jumps to my throat and my mouth drops open, but no sound comes out. Finally, I take a sharp intake of breath as I feel all the blood drain from my face. “Oh my God, Brian-“

“Don’t worry, we have security waiting for us at the airport. We have security here and they’ll be following us all the way to our hotel. No one’s going to touch you.”

I take a deep breath and close my eyes, collecting my thoughts for a few seconds. When I open them, he’s staring at me with that same worried look on his face. “Then why do you look scared?” I ask softly, swallowing the lump in my throat.

His face changes, his eyebrows raised. He takes my hand. “I’m scared of what I’ll do or what it’ll do to me if anything ever happened to you,” he whispers. I swallow, trying to keep my breath steady.

“Were… did Detective Brady have any lead as to why Rooney would be in Sweden… other than…” I trail off, not trusting my emotions to bring it up.

Brian shakes his head, his face downcast. “Apparently he has family there but… it’s just too big of a coincidence. We can’t assume, but we also have to take every precaution.”

I nod slowly and sink back down into my seat. I’m aware of the pairs of eyes still on us and I look up to give them all a reassuring smile. It’s fine… I’m fine. It’s ok.

“Are you okay?” Brian’s voice is gentle, careful. I look at him and his blue eyes are studying me carefully, his brows still furrowed.

I nod again, this time a bit more confidence in my movements. I push my hair back and tilt my chin up. “Everything’s going to be okay,” I tell him. “Nothing’s happened, and it won’t. We just have to trust and believe that. I’m safe.”

His eyebrows raise and I can tell he’s slightly taken aback by my reply. “Yeah, baby… you’re right.” His voice is slightly raspy; maybe from lack of sleep or the stress of tonight. He sighs and leans his forehead against the palm of my hands. “Thank you for being so positive throughout all of this.”

I lift his chin up so that we’re eye to eye and my gaze doesn’t leave his. “That’s all we can do. We can’t let this affect us. We just have to keep going.”

His face softens then and he leans up to give me a sweet kiss on the lips. “This is why I love you,” he whispers.

I smile at this and squeeze his hands. “We’ll get through this together.”

-

My eyes flutter open at the touch of someone’s hand on my elbow. I jump up in my seat, startled out of a nightmare and grip at the armrests with sweaty hands.

“Baby, it’s just me.” I’m staring into familiar blue eyes and I instantly relax at his soft voice. “It’s okay, it’s just me.” He gives me a reassuring smile and I rest my hand against my chest, willing my heartbeat to slow down. “Look out the window,” he tells me softly.

I shift in my seat and realize that we’re completely stopped on the ground. I turn back to look at him, my heart soaring with excitement. “We’re in Stockholm?”

He grins at the look on my face and nods. “Get ready for your first experience on tour, baby.”