- Text Size +

 

 

After a late lunch, we head to the concert venue for the boys’ four o’clock call time for sound check. This is my first Backstreet Boys concert, ever. Apparently, I wasn’t allowed to have previews during rehearsals. “I want you to see it full out and experience opening night. The real deal.” Brian had said to me.

Once we’re at the venue, I make sure to make my introductions to the crew and the dancers. The venue is huge, seating about 8,300 people and every seat is sold out. “It sold out within five minutes,” Michelle, one of the stage managers informs me as we take a seat in the far back by the exit doors.

“That’s insane!” I exclaim, trying to imagine more than 8,000 bodies occupying every seat in this arena. I look toward the stage, where Brian is now singing in to the mic. His gentle voice fills the stadium and I can’t help the smile on my face. The fans with VIP tickets to sound check have all but squished themselves against the metal barricade, their screams echoing all the way to where we were sitting. Just then, I feel a tap on my shoulder and I turn around to see a little girl about the age of twelve smiling shyly at me.

“Excuse me, but are you London?” she asks and I sit up, racking my brain as to where I’ve seen or met this girl before.

I smile gently at her. “Yes, I am.”

“You’re Brian’s girlfriend,” she gushes, her face breaking into an ear-to-ear grin. “Can I have a picture with you, please?”

Dumbfounded, I glance at Michelle who instantly takes the girl’s camera and nods at me to pose with her. “What’s your name?” I ask as I stand up and walk around the chair to stand beside her.

“My name is Linda,” she replies and the name tugs at my heart. Linda, my dear friend back in Banff. Oh how I miss her. Those days seem a lifetime away.

“Ready?” Michelle asks, holding the camera up. She snaps a couple of pictures and Linda takes it from her excitedly.

“I can’t believe I met you! My friends are going to be so jealous!” she squeals and gives me a hug. After she bounds away with her Mom, who is patiently waiting to head down to watch sound check, I’m left in disbelief.

“Okay, did that just happen?” I take my seat again and look over at Michelle who’s smirking at me.

“You’re kind of the new girlfriend of one of the members of the hottest boy bands right now,” she replies, chuckling. “Don’t you read the tabloids?”

“I’m in the tabloids?!” I shake my head and sink down into my seat. “Brian won’t let me read them for now.”

She shrugs. “Typical Brian.”

Before I could process this in my mind, I feel another tap on my shoulder and I turn around. This time, it’s not just one girl but a group of five who all look very eager to see me. Before I know it, a line-up has formed. A line-up. For me. I’m taking endless amounts of pictures now with girls who are so excited and eager to meet… me. London Cartier, no one special. Now this could get a little getting used to.

After sound check is done, I’m escorted backstage by security. Brian is in his dressing room, sitting on a stool and strumming softly on a guitar. He glances up when the door opens and our eyes meet. He looks gorgeous, as ever, in dark jeans and a hoodie. He sets the guitar aside and motions for me to come to him.

“I saw that little line-up you generated,” he murmurs, pulling me in between his legs and wrapping his arms around me.

“Yeah, I still can’t believe it.”

He smiles. “I don’t think one can ever get used to the fame.”

“Fame…” I mull this new concept around in my head for a few seconds. “I don’t think I’m famous.”

He grins. “Says the girl who made about twenty or so girls happy today just with a couple pictures.”

“Says the man who’s known around the world.”

He chuckles softly, then his face changes to a serious one. “Just … be careful,” he tells me slowly. “Not all of the fans are that … welcoming.”

I nod and wrap my arms around his neck. “Well, so far so good. Your fans are amazing.”

Just then, there’s a knock on the door of his dressing room. “Sorry to interrupt you guys,” Michelle says, poking her head in. “But you’re due for costume, Bri.”

“Alright, thanks Michelle.” He focuses his attention back to me and smiles. “Duty calls, my lady. I’ll see you out there.” He gives me a wink before sliding off the stool and walking towards the door.

“Break a leg, baby,” I call out after him.

“Maybe two if we’re lucky.” With that, he turns to grin goofily at me before leaving the room.

-

At the end of the night, my voice is completely gone and my ears are ringing from the screams of thousands of girls. The concert was indescribable. Amazing voices, the dancing was entertaining, and the musicians onstage have got to be some of the most talented people. Needless to say, my first Backstreet Boys concert was unforgettable – especially being able to watch it front row and center with Brian grinning and winking at me occasionally.

At the end of the night though, I’m absolutely exhausted. I can’t believe it was just our first day in Stockholm and everything that’s happened so far. The boys, though, are wired and hyper. I knew the plan for tonight was for them to attend an after party at a club downtown. I was under strict instruction not to go, as it would be too much of a risk for my safety. Especially now that we know Rooney is in town.

“Are you sure you’ll be okay here?” Brian asks, concern thick in his voice when we reach our hotel room.

“Yes, Brian,” I say truthfully. “You’re under contract and, even if you weren’t, I’d want you to go and meet your fans. I’ll be fine here. Besides, I’m so exhausted that all I want to do is just sleep!”

He sighs. “You’re right. Okay, but I’ll be back before you know it.”

I smile at him. “Bri, just enjoy yourself. It’s not every day that you’re here and your fans who probably paid a crapload of money to go to the after party deserve your one hundred percent.”

“You’re amazing.” He gives me a peck on the lips and engulfs me in a tight hug. “The car is waiting for us downstairs. I’ll give you a call later just to check up.” He gives me another quick peck on the lips. “Sleep tight, baby. I’ll see you soon.”

I laugh and push him toward the door. “Yeah yeah, now go!”

Once he’s gone, I step out of my shoes and throw myself onto the gigantic bed, falling neatly into the soft pillows and duvet. It feels so good that I don’t even bother changing out of my clothes and soon find myself drifting off into a dreamless sleep.

-

I wake up feeling warm and really, really thirsty. I sit up groggily, my hair all over my face, and my throat dry as a cactus. It takes me a moment to collect my thoughts and remember where I am. I stand up, blinking my eyes to adjust to the darkness. I glance over at the clock on the bedside table – it’s just a little past two in the morning. I also notice the red light blinking on the phone, indicating that I had a missed call. Brian. Sleepily, I change out of my clothes and unpack a pair of flannel shorts and a tank top to wear to bed. I open the balcony door slightly, letting in some night air that cools my hot skin instantly. I grab a bottled water from the fridge and down half of it, relieving my dry throat. I jump when the loud ring of the phone cuts the air – it must be Brian again.

“Hello?” I answer after the second ring. It’s front desk.

“Sorry to bother you this late ma’am, but there is someone waiting for you downstairs,” a polite female voice with a thick accent speaks on the other line. “She says she is an old friend of yours.”

I frown. “An old friend of mine?” A girl? I decide to call security for this one. “Okay, I’ll be there in a minute.”  

I hang up, wrap a robe around myself, and peak out the door into the dim hallway. No security. Hm. I walk back into the hotel room and, a few seconds later, come out changed into a pair of sweats, a t-shirt, and runners. I walk quietly down the hallway, poking my head around the corner to see if any of the security team are around. They must all be downstairs. I decide to head down to the front desk to see my visitor. It should be safe, I decide. Security should be there and, besides, the bellman and front desk workers will be there too.

When I reach the main floor, sure enough there are a few maintenance workers, people coming back from the club lingering around in the lobby, the bellman escorting late travelers through, and three representatives behind the front desk. Ok good. Lots of people, I feel safe. I walk over to front desk to inquire and the young girl points to a figure standing by the revolving doors. I walk towards her, her back facing me. She’s wearing a long, tan trench coat, which is odd because it’s pretty warm outside, black slacks and high heeled boots. Her light hair is pulled up into a tight bun, her hands in her pockets. Finally, I reach her and gently tap on her shoulder.

“You were expecting me?” I spoke up and she turns at my touch. Her face is pretty, but her eyes are unfriendly and her face shows no sign of a smile.

“You dare try to escape from my father,” she hisses and I’m thrown back hard onto the floor as the back of her hand strikes my face.