- Text Size +
Cooking with Mr. Duck

"This place is huge. How many bedrooms are there?"

"There's a large guest bedroom downstairs here and four bedrooms upstairs including the master suite. Down in the basement is another bedroom and I'm renovating a pretty rough piece in the back to be a guest house for my parents or one of the guys if they come into town. Y'know this is the first time I've got the chance to put people in some of these rooms. It's nice to have the house so full."

I ran my hand over a beautiful fireplace in what could only be described as a study. My eyes raked over a large built in library, complete with one of those ladders that would take you up to the shelves nearest the ceiling. Sure, the paint was peeling and there were a few loose bricks around the fireplace, but it had an Old World charm that was captivating. It put my Hoover-slobbered living room back home to shame.

"This place is awesome."

"You know you can stay here as long as you want."

"Just a few days."

"A few days, a month, a year. You're safe here. Even if you won't or can't tell me what's going on, just know that okay?"

The assurance in his voice overwhelmed me. I blinked back the tears. I suddenly felt the exhaustion I was keeping at bay come crashing down.

"Can you show me back to Tibby's room? I think I want to stay with her tonight," I said softly. Brian studied my face for a second, then nodded.

"Course I can. Just right up here."

I followed him up the landing. I stopped for a second, noting the way the second floor looked out over the first in a very loft-like way. He had put Tibby in the second room on the right. I put my hand on the doorknob, suddenly desperate to get near her and fall asleep hearing her snores.

"Jilly Bean."

I paused. Brian's hands were stuffed in his jeans. We stared at each other and he seemed to be making his mind up about something. Finally, he leaned over and planted a kiss on my cheek.

"My bedroom's the last one on the left. Lemme know if you need anything. Anything. Good...morning."

It probably wasn't as odd for him as it was for me to think that I was really going to sleep a morning away. I smiled weakly.

"Thank you, Bri."

"I owe you."

To this, he shook his head.

"No honey, I owe you."

Before I could ask him what he meant, he turned and headed down the hall. I slipped inside the room and crawled in next to Tibby. She curled up to me automatically and I wrapped my arms around her little body, closing my eyes. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep...

Well, maybe for a minute...

---


I woke up to an empty bed. My heart stood still and all I could think was, he got her. I rolled out of bed and yanked open the door.

Then I was lost.

It took me a full minute to catch up on my whereabouts. We were at Brian's house. In Georgia. The one with the billion rooms. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. If I strained my ears just enough I could hear excited chatter.

Tibby's chatter.

"Mommy!" Tibby cried happily a few minutes later when I finally tracked down the kitchen. She was sitting at a giant table that could, if my guess was right, about twenty. She pointed an expensive-looking butter knife over at Brian. "Lookit!"

"I'm impressing her with my fabulous kitchen skills."

I followed the direction of the knife to find Brian standing behind a wrap around kitchen island. Something was sizzling on a stove. He wore a white apron with a big teddy bear holding a Valentine on it. He looked...domestic.

"He's making me a Mickey Mouse burger and he can talk like Donald Duck! He's like Walt Disney World, mommy! A big tenny sneaker wearing Walt Disney World!"

Brian's grin grew ridiculously large. "Didja hear that?" His voice changed into duck-mode without a moment's hesitation. "That's quite a compliment, toots."

Tibby burst into giggles, biting down on the handle of the knife in excitement. Brian scooped some burgers off of a George Foreman. "Sit down, Daisy," he said, nodding at me. I took a seat next to Tibby.

"Where's Cole?" I asked. Tibby took the silver from her mouth and wiped the handle on a linen napkin.

"He's still asleep," she announced. "He's going to be hunnnn-grrry."

"Dinner is served," Brian said, his voice still in high quack mode. He set down plates in front of us, brushing his hand along my shoulder as he straightened up behind me. "I'll go wake the boys," he said, his voice returning to normal.

"Mommy, look!"

Sure enough, our burgers were Mickey Mouse. He had even pressed the sesame seed buns out to the exact shape. Beside the burger was a small medley of steamed vegetables and mac and cheese.

"This looks good!" Tibby said. She grabbed her fork and I watched in amazement as she tackled the vegetables first.

Two minutes later, both boys tromped into the kitchen. They didn't make eye contact with each other. Brian dished out more plates and sat down next to Tibby, Baylee sitting beside him. Cole took the seat next to me.

Silence lasted less than a minute.

"Mr. Duck, this is the bestest meal I've ever had. Ever."

Brian smiled. "Now, that can't be true. Your mommy's a good cook."

Tibby looked at me and then back at Brian. "Yeah, but this is gooder."

"Has your mommy ever made you spaghetti?"

Tibby nodded. "Yup."

"Well, she made it for me a long time ago and that was the bestest meal I've ever had."

I looked at him. I could practically see the whole moment in time replayed in his eyes. I smiled.

"That's the first meal I ever made without help," I said.

"Well, you fooled me. Mom was crushed when I went home and told her it was the best meal I'd ever had. I think I hurt her feelings."

I laughed. "I'm sure. I loved your mom's apple crisp."

"Hey Mr. Duc--"

"Tibby, his name's Brian."

"Mr. Brian," Tibby corrected. I just shook my head. "I started school yesterday. Does this place have a school?"

"We're going back home for school soon, dummy," Cole said.

"Don't call me a dummy Coley!" Tibby shot back. She stuck her tongue out. Cole's tongue was ready to shoot out until he saw the look on my face. Instead, he slouched down. He had massacred his burger. Mickey's ear was hanging sickly from the head. He had used ketchup to draw a long jagged scar across the bun. Even though Baylee was still scowling, I saw him glancing at the artwork with interest.

"Y'know, school starts here next Tuesday, right after Labor Day," Brian said. "If you do decide to stay a little longer, I'm sure we can figure out something. That way you guys won't have missed any school."

"But my teacher's Miss Middleton," Tibby said. "Does she work here too? Cause I don't know how she would because her arms would get tired from all that flying."

Brian laughed loudly, his nose wrinkling in a way I hadn't seen since...well, high school.

"Jilly, you've got a rare one here. She's terrific." He turned towards Tibby. Donald Duck returned.

"Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!"

Tibby burst, a big raucous open mouth laugh that sent a chunk of pickle airborne. It landed with a sick plop on Baylee's plate.

"Ew, gross!"

Cole snickered. "Nice form, Tibs."

I started to say something to Tibby about apologizing for her table manners, but Brian's hand reached over and covered my own.

"Best day ever," he mouthed.

His earnest face made me realize just how truthful he was being. If a pickle flying out of a five year old's mouth amounted to his best day ever, maybe he hadn't been living the life I thought he had. Maybe, even with all the money and fame, he had been missing the enjoyment of the little things in life.

I suddenly felt sad. Not for me, but for him.