- Text Size +

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 10

 

            After telling AJ about the procedure and her plans to join Nick, he says, "Penelope, did I tell you how happy I am you and Nick are together? Thanks to you, he's actually become a normal human being."

            She laughs as she nods and says, "You've told e a few times. I'm pretty happy about it too."

            He says, "Before you decide to leave town, my mom wants to see you again."

            She gives him a puzzled look and says, "Why?  What's wrong?"

            He shrugs and says, "Nothing. She just took a liking to you and wanted to talk to you some more before she leaves town. How about dinner at my place tonight?"

            Fingering the corner of the bandage, she says, "Maybe she can just drop by here.  I'm not really up for going out."

            He says, "Oh, sorry.  Guess you'd be more comfortable here.  How about I bring a pizza?"

            She almosts laughs, but it hurts. She says, "AJ, I probably won't be eating a lot for a couple of days. Skin feels kind of tight.  But if you want to come over, it's fine."

            He laughs and says, "OK, we'll be here around 7. You take it easy."

            She hugs his neck and says, "I will. See you later."

 

            Penelope manages to nap for a while, waking up feeling a lot better.  She eats some soup and decides to do laundry. If she's going to go see Nick, she wants to make sure her best outfits are clean.

Just as she's putting the first load in the dryer, the door bell rings. Figuring it's her father or sister, she's shocked when she opens the door to find AJ's mother, Denise waiting.  After inviting her in, Penelope says, "I'm sorry I thought AJ said 7:00 tonight."

Denise says, "He did. But I wanted to talk to you alone, Penelope."

Penelope says, "Is everything ok?"

She sighs and says, "This is very hard for me, Penelope. Please, bear with me, ok?"  When Penelope nods, she says, "Penelope, Alex says you were adopted in Florida."

Penelope nods and says, "I was. When I was a baby."

Denise says, "When?  When is your birthday?"

Totally puzzled by her question, Penelope says, "July 17, 1979."

Denise pales considerably and sits down. She looks so pale, it's scary. Penelope says, "Denise, are you ok? Should I call AJ?"

Denise shakes her head and says, "No. NO, you can't."

Penelope sits beside her and says, "What's wrong? What's the matter?"

Denise meets her gaze and whispers, "Your eyes.  You have your father's eyes."

Penelope shakes her head and says, "What do you mean?"

Denise says, "Penelope, after I had Alex, my husband left me. He said a wife and kid were too much, he wanted to be free."

Penelope says, "I'm so sorry.  But what does that have to do with me?"

Denise says, "I had problems taking care of Alex alone.  I was depressed and lonely. One night, I left him with my mother and went out partying with friends. I met a man. We had a weekend. Then I never saw him again. He gave me a fake name and a number to an adult video store."

Penelope says, "I still don't understand, Denise."

Denise says, "Penelope, he got me pregnant...I had to give up the baby. I couldn't afford to keep her and Alex both. She deserved better...he did too, but I couldn't give him up too."

Penelope says, "But...well, you did what you had to for the baby, right?  I mean, you wanted her to have a better life, right? I'm sure you did what you..." The light goes off in her head. Penelope says, "You think that I..."

Denise says, "Penelope, I think you're my daughter."

Before she can reply the door bell rings. As if in a trance, she goes to open it, finding AJ holding a bag and a flower arrangement. Forget-me-nots in a glass bowl. Her eyes meet Denise's and she grimaces.  AJ doesn't seem to realize there's tension in the room. He says, "Hey Mom, you're early!" He kisses her cheek and says, "I brought you some soup, Penelope. You have to eat."

Denise stands and says, "I'm sorry, Alex. I can't really stay. I just dropped by to..."

He says, "What's wrong Mom?"

She says, "Just a headache. You two enjoy your dinner."

She beats a hasty retreat. Alex heads into the kitchen to get the food ready, muttering, "I'll never understand that crazy woman. But God knows I love her."

He doesn't realize it, but Penelope is still standing by the door, in shock. When he finally realizes something is wrong, she's hyperventilating. He grabs her shoulders and says, "Penelope? Penelope, what's wrong? What is it?"

She gasps for air, shaking her head violently as tears flow from her eyes. He grabs her and holds her close, whispering, "Come on Darling, shh, tell me what's wrong? Come on, calm down."

She buries herself in his chest, the only thought going through her mind is her brother is holding her. Her real, honest-to-God, living, breathing brother.  Sobs rack her body as she tries to come to grips with everything Denise had said.

He maneuvers her to the couch and sits with her, holding her gently. He stops asking her what's wrong and just holds her till she's all cried out. When she's calm, he says, "Penelope, what's wrong? Why are you so upset?"

She looks at him. Really looks at him. She takes off his glasses and stares at his face. Their eyes are shaped the same, but where hers is green, his are brown. She studies the shape of his face, finding they have the same sort of upturn tug to the right side of his mouth when he smiles. She whispers, "I can't believe it."

He says, "Believe what? What's going on, Penelope?"

            Before she answers, someone knocks on the door. He says, "Expecting someone?"

            She says, "No. Probably a delivery for Nick."

            He says, "I'm gonna grab a drink. After they leave, we're talking."

            As he steps into the kitchen, she opens the door to find Denise standing there. Denise says, "Penelope I'm so sorry for laying that all on you. Are you ok?"

            I nod and say, "I guess. I just never thought I'd ever know."

            Denise nods and whispers, "I thought about you every day of your life, Penelope. I never, ever stopped loving you, even though I gave you away. I thought I was making the right choice...the best choice for you."

            Before Penelope can reply, AJ walks into the room and says, "WHAT?"

            Denise pales, almost collapsing on the floor. AJ rushes forward and grabs her. Between him and Penelope, they get her to the couch. She looks up at AJ and whispers, "I'm so sorry Alex."

            He sits beside her and says, "What are you sorry for, Mom?"

            Finally coming out of the fog, Penelope realizes just what this means. She finally has the answer to a question that's plagued her most of her life. Why did her mother give her up? She did it for love. She wanted to give her a better life. And she had a good life, even if Katrina wasn't a good mother.

            She kneels beside Denise's feet and takes her hand gently. When their eyes meet, she says, "It's ok. I understand."

            Denise grabs Penelope and hugs her tightly, whispering, "I'm so sorry."

            AJ looks on perplexed. Finally, he says, "Can someone clue me in please?"

            Denise pulls away from Penelope and looks at AJ. She says, "Alex, sit with me." When he sits beside her, she takes his hand and says, "Alex, after your father left, I kind of did some crazy things. I went out one weekend and, well..."

            Penelope takes his other hand and whispers, "I'm your sister, AJ."

            He looks between them, not sure he's believing what he's hearing. Denise says, "Alex, I could barely take care of you. I knew I couldn't raise another baby."

            He seems so lost.  Penelope says, "AJ?"

            He looks at her and says, "You're really...?"

            She nods and says, "I...think so. I guess we have to have some kind of DNA test to prove it."

            Denise says, "I don't. I know you're my child. I just know it."

            Penelope turns to AJ and says, "I do too. Our eyes are shaped the same. And our mouths."

            He stares at her face and says, "Sister?"

            Denise says, "You have the same hands too."

            Penelope looks down at her hand in AJ's. Even though his are bigger, they are shaped the same. She puts his palm against her cheek and whispers, "Brother."

            He falls apart and grabs them both, hugging them tightly. Penelope revels in it. Even though she loves her Daddy and Juliette, she's found her home. When they pull apart, she wipes the tears from AJ's face and whispers, "Are you ok?"

            He says, "I'm in shock. I just can't believe..." Turning to Denise, he says, "How did you know?"

            Denise says, "Her eyes. She has her father's eyes."

            AJ puts his forehead against his mother's and whispers, "Mom, are you ok?"

            She says, "Honestly, I'm exhausted. Ever since I met Penelope, I knew. I couldn't go home until..."

            Penelope grabs her hand and says, "Don't go. Please. I want to...I don't know...just don't go. Stay."

            Denise says, "I'll stay if you want me too."

            Penelope says, "I want you to both stay. Here. Tonight. Please?"

            AJ says, "Penelope..."

            She says, "Please? AJ, I've dreamed about this most of my life. Please don't go."

            He nods.  They sit and talk for a long time. When AJ sees his mother fighting to stay awake, he says, "I think we all need to sleep. This has been an emotional night."

            Penelope says, "And I need to call Nick."

            AJ says, "You gonna tell him?" She nods and he says, "Good. Tell him he better be good to my sister or I'll kick his ass."

            Denise says, "ALEX, watch your language!"

            He grins sheepishly at his mother and says, "Sorry Mom."

            Penelope just giggles. Then she grabs Denise and hugs her tightly and says, "I'm so glad to know why."

            Denise says, "If I could change one thing in my life, I never would have let you go."

            After she's settled in the guest room, Penelope says, "You can take the bed, AJ. I'll sleep out here."

            He says, "No way. Get your ass to bed, Baby Sister."

            She throws her arms around him and he squeezes her tight. She whispers, "I couldn't ask for a better brother, AJ."

 

            When she calls Nick, he can hear something different in her voice. He says, "OK, what's going on?"

            She smiles and says, "What do you mean?"

            He says, "Well first you wait till midnight to call me...and you sound so, I don't know different. What's going on?"

            She says, "It's a really, really long story. Sure you want to know now?"

            He says, "Tell me, Penelope. What's got you in such a good mood?"

            She says, "Well, something really amazing happened tonight. I'm still thinking I'm going to wake up and it's all going to be a dream."

            He says, "What? What happened? You win the lottery?"

            She says, "No, even better." After a few seconds of silence, she says, "I know who my real mother is."

            He's quiet for so long, she thinks the call was disconnected. Finally he says, "Are you ok?"

            She says, "Yeah, I am. Nick, it's the most amazing thing."

            He says, "How did you find her, Penelope?"

            She says, "I didn't.  Wow, this is harder than I thought it would be."

            He says, "What is?"

            She says, "Nick, AJ...he introduced me to her."

            He says, "AJ? AJ found your mom for you? Why would he do that?"

            She says, "No, Nick, not like that.  He introduced me to his mom."

            Nick says, "And?" She's quiet for a minute, letting it sink in. Finally he says, "Denise is your mother? Your REAL mother?"

            Feeling the tears stinging her eyes again, she whispers, "Yeah. She...she came back tonight to talk to me. She says I have my father's eyes."

            Nick says, "No you don't. AJ's dad doesn't have green eyes."

            She says, "Nick, she had a one night stand. I was...the result. She wanted to give me a better life."

            He whistles and says, "Wow.  Penelope you sure you're ok?"

            She says, "I am. Just still in shock I guess. They are staying here tonight. I just couldn't let them go. There's so much I want to know, so many questions."

            He says, "I'm happy for you Baby. More than happy. I wish I was there. How did AJ take it?"

            She sighs and says, "Same as me. We all cried.  It's...very emotional. I mean, I love Daddy and Juliette and they'll always be my family, but...God Nick I fit with them. It's RIGHT...you know?"

            He chuckles and says, "I know Baby. Just like you fit with me."

            She lies across the bed and says, "I wish you were here Nick. I miss you so much."

            He says, "Then come be with me. Soon. Please?"

            She says, "I'm going to. I've already started packing."

            He laughs and says, "I knew you missed me."

            She says, "It's very, very hard to be away from you Nick."

            She can almost hear his smirk when he says, "You're right about one thing. It's very, very hard."

            She whimpers and says, "You play dirty, Mister."

            He chuckles and says, "Damn straight. I want you. Now hurry up and come to me."

            She sighs and whispers, "I will Nick. I love you."

            He says, "I love you too."

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Love to hear your thoughts! :)