- Text Size +

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 11

 

                Denise stays in town for a couple of days, but obligations have her going home.  Penelope goes with them to the airport, more than a little self conscious about the bandage on her face.  As she tearfully hugs her mother good bye, she whispers, "I'm so glad I finally know."

            Denise pulls back and kisses her cheek, whispering, "I didn't ask...but when I see you again, I want to talk about what happened?" At my puzzled look, she gently touches the bandage on my face. I wince and she whispers, "I'm sorry, it must still be tender."

            Penelope covers her hand and whispers, "It's not that. It doesn't hurt. I just...it's hard to talk about what happened."

            She kisses Penelope's cheek again and whispers, "Tell me when you're ready. OK?"

            Penelope nods and she and AJ watch as Denise makes her way through airport security. When she's out of sight, AJ says, "Penelope, when did you want to go see Nick?"

            Penelope loops her arm through AJ's as they leave the airport and says, "I think he has a flight planned for me day after tomorrow, why?"

            As they reach her car, he says, "Because...I want to go with you. But first...I'd like to meet your family."

            A shadow crosses her face and she says, "Why?"

            He says, "I just do. Penelope, they are part of your life. I want to thank them for making you who you are."

            She sniffles and hugs him before climbing into the passenger side of the car, opting to let AJ drive because she's still really emotional.  When he's in the car, she says, "AJ, I'd like them to meet you, but..."

            He says, "Don't want me to meet your mother, huh?"

            She says, "I don't want her looking down her nose at you like she did Nick. I hate it when she does that."

            He says, "Please?"

            She tries to hold her ground but he badgers her all the way back to her apartment.  By the time they get there, she's given in and said, "OK, I'll invite them to dinner."

            He says, "I want to take everyone out.  Call and see if they are free tomorrow, then we'll go shopping."

            She collapses on the sofa with her phone in her hand.  She calls Juliette first and gets a very enthusiastic ‘yes' from her sister.  Then she calls her Dad. That's a bit more complex phone call.  She says, "Hey, Daddy."

            He says, "Hey Punkin, how do you feel?"

            She says, "Fine really.  I can hardly feel it now."

            He says, "How does it look?"

            She says, "I don't know...I'm afraid to take the bandage off. I'm supposed to see Dr. Stein this afternoon."

            He says, "Do you want me to take you?"

            She glances at AJ and says, "No. I have a friend going with me. It's ok." AJ just smiles.

            Her father says, "So, what else is going on?"

            She says, "Daddy, I'd like to do dinner with you, Juliette...and Mother...tomorrow night. Please?"

            His surprise is evident when he says, "Sure. Everything ok?"

            She says, "Fine, Daddy.  A friend of mine would like to meet all of you."

            He says, "OK, Punkin, where?"

            She says, "La Pièce Rouge. 7:30 ok?"

            He whistles and says, "That's some place for just meeting a friend of yours, Penelope. You and Nick didn't elope, did you?"

            She laughs and says, "No Daddy. Nick's out of town now. I'm going to see him in a couple of days."

            He says, "How about I take us out, Sweetie? That place is expensive."

            I say, "No Daddy, AJ wants to take us out."

            He says, "AJ? Who's AJ?"

            I say, "He works with Nick Daddy. He's a good friend."

            Her Dad says, "Penelope Siobahn, don't tell me you're..."

            She laughs even louder and says, "NO Daddy, it's not like that."

            AJ chuckles and says, "I'm bringing Sage. She's flying in tomorrow."

            I nod and say, "Daddy, AJ's girlfriend will be there too. Stop letting your imagination get the best of you."

            He says, "Well, Punkin, it's been forever since you were dating and now you have two new men in your life. I'm not sure what to think." When his statement garners only silence, he whispers, "Oh Penelope, I'm so sorry!"

            She turns so AJ can't see her happy mood evaporate and she says, "It's ok, Daddy. It has been a while."

            AJ can tell something's not right. He moves to stand in front of Penelope, forcing her gaze to meet his. She sees the concern in his eyes. The love. She squeezes his hand and says, "Daddy, I need to go. I've got to do some packing. I'll see you tomorrow night, ok?"

            After hanging up, AJ says, "Tell me what he said."

            Trying to skirt the issue, she says, "He's looking forward to meeting you and he's afraid La Pièce Rouge is too expensive for me."

            He takes her hand and says, "Penelope, you KNOW that's not what I mean. Now, talk to me."

            She lowers her eyes, wondering how in the world she's going to get through this. Finally, she, "How about a glass of wine and we'll talk?"

            He says, "Just water for me, please."

            She gets his water and pours herself a glass of chardonnay. When they are sitting together on the sofa, she takes a deep breath and says, "A few years back, I was dating a man named Dave..."

 

            After she's finished her story, she's staring into her glass, her mind still firmly focused on the past. When she's brave enough to look up, she sees he's crying. She reaches out and wipes away the tears and says, "It's ok, AJ. It's over."

            He grabs her hand and says, "Penny..." He's the first person to call her that since Dave and she winces.  He says, "What?"

            She says, "Nothing...I just haven't been called that in a long time."

            When he realizes it's what Dave used to call her, he says, "You prefer Penelope?"

            She says, "Actually, I always liked Penny better. It's just...been a while."

            He says, "What does Nick call you?"

            She laughs and says, "Penelope."

            He says, "What would you like me to call you?"

            She thinks about it and whispers, "Penny."

            He hugs her and says, "It'll be ok, Penny. Sis. You won't get hurt again. I promise."

 

            Dr. Stein is pleased with her progress.  When Penelope sees her face for the first time without the scar, she almost flips out. Her cheek is red where the scar was but the offending, puckered line is gone.  She blinks rapidly, trying not to cry. Dr. Stein says, "Penelope, it looks wonderful. The redness will go away in a few weeks and you'll be wondering why you were so afraid."

            She wants to jump off the table into his arms.  Instead she says, "I just...I can't believe it's gone."

            He smiles and says, "We'll tackle those other scars in a few months, OK? Until then...if you have questions, you can call. I don't think you need another follow up visit unless you have problems."

            She says, "Aren't you going to bandage it again?"

            He says, "I could...but I think you're better off without the bandage. If you're more comfortable..."

            She closes her eyes and says, "Either way...I guess...looks bad, huh?"

            He says, "Penelope, it will fade. Those who know you...your family...they won't think twice about this."

            Penelope thanks him and heads out to find AJ. She knows one person who will think about it. Even comment.  Katrina Evans.

 

            She never did shop with AJ.  The next day, after promising to pick her up at 7:00 for dinner, he left her to her own devices to pick up Sage at the airport. She hasn't been on Skype with Nick since the procedure, even though he's asked.  Fear still gnaws at her gut. But before her family sees her face, she knows Nick should.

            Knowing he has the day off, she calls him. When he answers, he sounds frazzled. She says, "What's wrong Nick?"

            He laughs and says, "I'm in a rush. How are you Darling?"

            She says, "Good, but I thought you had today off."

            He says, "I do. From singing. Lots of other things I have to do though."

            She says, "I'm bothering you, huh?"

            He says, "Penelope, when have you EVER been a bother to me?  NEVER! Now what's going on?"

            She says, "Well...AJ's taking my family out for dinner tonight. I'm worried."

            He says, "About what? AJ will behave if your mother does."

            I have to laugh. I say, "She won't behave at all. That's the problem. I don't want her to insult AJ or Sage."

            He says, "Don't worry about AJ.  I think he'll be able to hold his own.  Besides, I know JUST what will make you forget about all your worries."

            When his tone of voice drops to a growl, her body tingles. She whispers, "Why, Mr. Carter, are you going to say something naughty?"

            He feigns innocence, saying, "Why say it when I can do it?"

            Before it registers in her mind exactly what he's said, she hears the front door open.  Dropping her phone, she runs through the apartment and leaps into his arms, kissing him with all the pent up energy of a school girl.

            When their lips part, he nuzzles her hair from her ear and whispers, "I've missed you."

            She buries her face in his neck and inhales his fragrance and whispers, "I've missed you more."

            He says, "Come on, let me look at you."

            She leans back, not letting go of his neck for anything. He smiles, holding her up off the floor with ease and says, "You're still SO beautiful, Penelope."

            She blushes and says, "Why are you here? I'm coming to see you. Tomorrow."

            He says, "Correction. You and AJ are flying out with me early tomorrow morning. I want you there for the show tomorrow night."

            He carries her into the living room and sits on the couch with her. She slides off his lap, but keeps her legs over his.  She says, "I can't believe you're here."

            He says, "I told you before, I'm not letting you face your mother alone. And I sure as hell am not sending AJ in without backup. He'll have her for lunch, trust me."

            She says, "I really hope she doesn't start tonight."

            He says, "Me too, but you know she will. After all, she thinks that ALL I'm after is your money!"

            When he wiggles his eyebrows up and down, she laughs and says, "You can have it. Every last dime."

            He leans closer and kisses her before whispering, "I only want you, Penelope."

            They snuggle together, both content. Until she feels his hand wander up under her shirt. She whispers, "Lose something?"

            He says, "Nope, found them right where I left them," as his fingers skim across one of her breasts, then the other.

            She whimpers and says, "AJ's not gonna be here till 7."

            He says, "I know. He's hoping to get lucky before dinner."

            She traces his lips with her finger and says, "Funny, so am I."

 

            When she's dressed for dinner, Nick can't stop staring at her. She has on a strapless brown silk dress that comes down to just below her knees.  Around her waist is a green sash that somehow perfectly matches her gorgeous eyes. She's opted for letting her hair flow loosely around her shoulders, hoping it will cover the redness on her face. 

            Since she can't really go all out on makeup, she puts on barely a hint of eye shadow, with eye liner and mascara. Nick is so enamored by her, he's not sure if she's real or an apparition. Until she says, "Do I look ok?"

            That snaps him from his reverie. He says, "OK? Are you kidding? You're beautiful, Penelope. Absolutely stunning."

            She looks at him and smiles shyly, blushing at his compliments.  She says, "I must say, I think I'll have the most handsome date there."

            Nick spreads his arms and says, "What? This old thing?" That thing being a simple black suit with a white shirt and a blue tie that makes his eyes jump out and grab her right where it hurts. Her genitals. 

She steps closer to him, smoothing the shoulder of his jacket and saying, "I'm glad you're here Nick."

He gently kisses her nose and whispers, "I am too, Penelope."

 

Chapter End Notes:

Love to hear your thoughts! :)