- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

DInner with the folks.  Think AJ will bond with them??  ;)

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 12

 

            AJ picks them up at 7:00 sharp. He makes a show of NOT conforming to Katrina Evans' standards by wearing a dress shirt, open half way down with a white wife beater under it.  Dress slacks and Italian leather loafers.  He looks like the ultimate bad boy...tattoos, earrings, gothic jewelry. And Penelope loves it.

            As she's greeting Sage, Nick shakes AJ's hand. AJ says, "Now Nick, we need to talk about your intentions toward my baby sister."

            Penelope can't help but laugh. Nick says, "You think I'm afraid of you McLean?"

            AJ chuckles and says, "Honestly, you should be. But I know how you feel about her."

            Nick's gaze rests on Penelope's smiling face and he says, "How could I not love her?"

            When they get downstairs, Penelope isn't surprised at all to see an SUV limousine waiting.  She looks at AJ and says, "Having fun?"

            He says, "What? Just trying to impress my baby sister."

            Nick says, "Trying to impress someone all right."

            Once in the car, Penelope says, "Before we get there, I want to apologize for anything my mother may say that is offensive."

            Sage says, "Is she really that bad?"

            Nick nods and says, "Worse. She doesn't care who she's trampling." He brushes back Penelope's hair and says, "Even her own family."

            Penelope says, "You'd think after 31 years, I'd be used to it."

            Nick says, "I don't know how anyone could get used to that. Makes me glad my mother was just nuts."

            AJ says, "Doesn't matter.  Tonight is about letting them know that Penny has her REAL family now too."  Looking at Penelope, he says, "I know they really are your family, but..."

            She says, "It's ok, AJ. I'm thrilled beyond reason to find out I have a brother...and who my real mother is."

            Nick studies them closely and says, "I guess you do sort of favor each other."

            Sage says, "They definitely have the same mouth.  And eyes, minus the color."

            AJ says, "Yeah, my eyes aren't that pretty."

            Nick laughs and says, "Damn right they're not."

            The witty banter keeps up throughout the 35 minute drive to the restaurant.  Penelope snuggles into Nick's arms, thankful he's here for what will undoubtedly be the hardest night of her life.

 

            When the restaurant comes into view, Penelope stiffens.  Nick holds her hand and says, "You ok?"

            She says, "I'm underdressed. Look at her."

            AJ says, "Your mother's in the blue one, right?"

            Penelope just nods. Her mother WOULD wear an evening gown to dinner.  Long, blue chiffon with a high collar. At least Juliette looks a little more at ease with her tea length floral print creation. Looks like organza but with Juliette, you just never know.

            Her father and brother in law are both in black suits with ties. She looks at AJ and he says, "Am I underdressed?"

            She smiles brightly and says, "No, you are perfect!"

            AJ says, "Then let's go meet the folks."

            AJ climbs out first and then helps Sage. Nick steps out next, holding his hand out for Penelope. She's so nervous...until her hand touches Nick's. She knows it's gonna be ok.

            When they walk up to her family, Penelope says, "Hey, Juliette, Cosimo." Turning, she says, "Hi Daddy." Then focusing her gaze on Katrina, she says, "Mother."

            Katrina stares at her and says, "Penelope, how can you go out in public like that?"

            Nick slides his hand around Penelope's waist and spares a glance at AJ.  He can see AJ is revving up for a showdown and decides to keep quiet and watch.

            AJ steps forward and says, "I'm sorry...who are you to speak to her that way?"

            Katrina takes in his appearance and says, "I don't believe we've been introduced."

            Before anyone can say anything, Donald says, "Enough Katrina. Stop making a scene."

            She says, "But Donald..."

            He says, "I said STOP. Let's go inside."

            Katrina turns and stalks into the restaurant. Donald turns to Penelope and kisses her cheek before saying, "You look beautiful, Punkin."

            She smiles up at him, unshed tears resting on her lashes and whispers, "Thanks Daddy."

            He follows Katrina in and Juliette whispers, "Daddy's right," as she hugs her sister.

            After everyone is seated in the private dining room AJ reserved, Donald says, "Punkin, I believe you said you had a friend to introduce."

            Penelope says, "I do. Daddy, Mother, Juliette, Cosimo, this is AJ McLean and his girlfriend Sage Winslow."

            Sage says, "Pleasure to meet you all."

            AJ mutters, "Almost all."

            Penelope finds herself wanting to giggle. Biting her lip, she puts her hand on AJ's arm. He pats her hand before turning back to Donald.  He says, "Penny speaks very highly of you, Mr. Evans. You seem to be a hero of hers."

            Donald says, "I'm very proud of Penelope."

            Katrina breaks in and says, "Penelope, what in the world has happened to your face?"

            Sighing, Penelope says, "I had the scar removed Mother. I thought you wanted that."

            She says, "I just can't believe you'd come out in public with your face so red. Couldn't you at least put on makeup to hide it?"

            Before she can answer, Sage says, "Mrs. Evans, your daughter has to let the skin heal before she can wear makeup."

            Katrina ignores her and says, "Really Penelope, what will people think?"

            AJ says, "I'm sorry, but are you enjoying cutting her to pieces? I thought mothers were supposed to support their children and nurture them. You seem to take great pleasure in tearing your daughter down."

            Katrina says, "First of all, young man, how I speak to her is none of your business. Who do you think you are?"

            AJ says, "I'm her brother and I'm NOT going to sit here and listen to you treat her like shit. She's been through hell; she doesn't need you to take her back."

            Everyone at the table is silent. Penelope looks at AJ, shocked he'd just say it like that. Katrina sputters, Juliette looks shell shocked, and Donald? He just smiles. Then he realizes what AJ said. Looking at AJ inquisitively, he says, "Brother?"

            His gaze falls on Penelope and she says, "AJ's mother...is my birth mother."

            Juliette gasps...then laughs and gets up, running around the table to hug Penelope. She squeals, "Oh my God, you found her! You did!" She turns to AJ and hugs him, saying, "Hello, Brother."

            AJ smiles and says, "The family is blessed with beautiful sisters."

            Turning back to Donald and Katrina, Penelope says, "We wanted to let you know before I leave town."

            Katrina says, "Leave town? Where do you think you're going?"

            Penelope says, "Nick's on tour for the next two months. I'm going with him."

            AJ says, "I'm going with her. I want to get to know my sister. Who knows, maybe I'll do a few of Nick's shows."

            Nick says, "You know you're welcome."

            Donald says, "So you're both in show business?"

            AJ says, "Yes Sir, we are." Clearing his throat, he says, "Mr. Evans, I want to thank you...and your wife...for giving Penelope a good life. My mother...has always regretted her decision."

            Katrina says, "Maybe she knew a lost cause when she saw one."

            Penelope gasps...then gets up and runs from the room. Nick stands to follow her, but not before saying, "No, the lost cause is you. You're a pathetic excuse for a mother and you can just go to hell."

            After Nick stalks out, Donald says, "Kat...I can't believe...that's it. I'm done."

            He follows Nick's lead. Juliette and her husband stand. Juliette says, "I hate you, Mother. I've hated you my whole life. I hope I never see you again."

            When left facing AJ and Sage, Katrina doesn't know what to say. AJ says, "If you EVER say ANYTHING like that about my sister again, so help me, I'll make sure you regret it."

            Katrina says, "How dare you!"

            AJ says, "I dare because I love my sister. You...you're such a two-faced, stuck-up, self-absorbed BITCH! Stay away from my sister!"

            When AJ and Sage get outside, Penelope is wrapped in Nick's arms, sobbing her heart out. Her adopted family stand helplessly by, not sure what to say. AJ walks over and puts his hand on her back. When she looks at him, he says, "I'm sorry, Penny."

            She pulls away from Nick and hugs AJ tightly, whispering, "It's not your fault...I knew..." She looks over to her father and says, "Daddy, I'm sorry, but I can't..."

            He says, "No, Punkin, I'm sorry. I never thought she could...would ever say...Punkin, I'll always love you and I'm always proud of you. After...after your mother leaves, maybe you can come and see me?"

            Penelope says, "Daddy...don't..."

            He says, "Penelope, I never realized the depths of her evilness till just now. If I have to choose between you and her...I choose you. You're a warm, loving girl and I'm so proud of the woman you've become, in spite of having Katrina for a mother."

            AJ says, "Why don't you all come with us? We'll go somewhere else and eat."

            Juliette says, "I'd like that. I'd like to get to know...Penny's new family."

            Donald holds his hand out to AJ and says, "So would I."

 

            After the scene made by Katrina, AJ wasn't sure Penelope would ever smile again. She just picked at her food at the new restaurant. He never wanted to hit a woman so bad in his like he does Katrina Evans.

            Even though he worried, he enjoyed getting to know the rest of her family. It even shocked him at the end of the night when Donald shook his hand and said, "It's been a true pleasure meeting you, AJ."

            In the limo on the way back to Nick's, everyone is quiet.  Penelope stares out the window, not snuggling against Nick like she did before. No one knows what to say. AJ knows when she finally does process the hurt feelings, Nick will be there for her...he just hates feeling so helpless while Penelope feels so lost.

            When they get to their building, Nick asks AJ and Sage to come in. AJ declines saying, "Thanks anyway.  We all have early flights so I want some alone time with my Lady."  He scoots over next to Penelope and says, "Penny, look at me." When she turns her gaze to his, he can see the hurt runs deep.  He brushes the side of her face with his thumb and whispers, "I'm sorry. I never would have asked if I had known..."

            She hugs his neck and says, "It's ok, AJ. I wanted them to know. I'll be fine."

            He says, "I mean it, I am sorry."

            She kisses his cheek and says, "I'm not. We'll talk tomorrow, ok?"

            After hugging Sage, Penelope climbs out of the car with Nick. He puts his arm around her as the elevator whisks them upstairs. Once in their apartment, she moves to stand by the window. He comes up behind her and whispers, "What can I do?"

            She leans back against him, grateful for his arms to hold her up. Letting go of the rage and hurt she's feeling, she just starts sobbing.  He lifts her in his arms and carries her to the bed.  He lays down with her and lets her cry it out, holding her close and rubbing her hair.

            When the sobs subside to just sniffles and hiccups, she says, "How can she hate me so much? What did I do wrong?"

            He says, "Sweetheart, it's not you. She just...she's a bitch, plain and simple."

            For some reason, his words make her giggle.  When he hears it, he scoots down in the bed just to watch her smile. As he gently wipes away the tears from her face, she says, "I love you. Thank you for being here."

            He kisses her gently, pressing his forehead to hers to whisper, "I love you too. It's good to be home."

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Let me know what you think!  I'm extremely curious! :)