- Text Size +

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 13

 

            Sleep eludes Penelope. Once she knows Nick is sound asleep, she gets up and slips on his t-shirt. She finds herself immersed in a bowl of Haagen Dazs white chocolate raspberry truffle. She stares at the clock. 3:30 am. The alarm will go off at 5 for them to get ready to go to the airport.

            When the ice cream is gone, she puts the container on the table and falls back on the sofa, trying to figure out how to get past what Katrina said. She can't think of her as "Mother" anymore. It's painfully obvious that's NOT what she is.  Or ever wanted to be.

            Strolling over to the piano, she softly fingers the keys, hopefully not waking Nick. Moonlight Sonata resonates through the apartment; it's soft, melancholy sound almost soothing to her heart. She never realized how deeply her mother's hatred ran until tonight. How deeply her disappointment in Penelope was.

            A single tear escapes her eyes and slowly travels down her cheek. It doesn't shock her at all that Nick is there to wipe it away. He straddles the seat beside her, putting his head on her shoulder as she plays. His presence gives her peace. He love gives her strength.

            When the piece is over, she whispers, "I'm sorry I woke you."

            He says, "You didn't. Not really. I haven't slept well on the road. Now I know it's because you weren't with me. I missed feeling you, even in my sleep."

            She leans against him and whispers, "I missed you too."

            He kisses her temple. "Why aren't you sleeping?"

            Sliding away from him, she stands, moving to the window, pressing her forehead against the glass. "Am I a lost cause, Nick?"

            Cursing Katrina under his breath, he says, "God, NO, Penelope. You can't let her get to you this way."

            She sniffles, pushing away from the glass and walking to the middle of the living room. Dropping down on the couch, she says, "But what if she's right Nick? Everything I tried, I failed at. I tried dance, couldn't do it. Tried piano, it's not for me. Hell, I couldn't even fall in love right."

            He moves to sit on the coffee table in front of her, not touching her. When her eyes meet, he says, "Penelope..."

            When she sees the hurt in his eyes, tears start flowing from hers. In an agonized voice, she says, "Oh Nick, I didn't mean it like that!"

            He grabs her face and kisses her tears away. "I know what you meant, Penelope. I'm not hurt because of that. My heart is breaking because I can't find the words to make you understand that YOU are not a failure. You're an amazing woman. You're beautiful, you're intelligent, and you're funny." Getting on his knees in front of her, he clasps her hands. "You're sexy as hell. You've got me so wound up all I can think of is spending the rest of my life in your arms. I'm so thankful I found you Baby. I just want to make you smile again. Smile and know that the people who love you will always love you just the way you are."

            She covers his hands with her, turning her head to kiss his palm. When she looks back at him, she whispers, "Thank you."

            Sliding forward, pulling her into his arms, he says, "It's the truth Penelope."

She puts her head on his shoulder and waits.  Waits for the tears to start again. But his words...they sink in and she realizes she finally has exactly what she needs. What her life was missing.  Real, honest-to-God, true love.

With her head still on his shoulders, she says, "You should sleep."

He chuckles and says, "Why? The alarm is going to go off in forty-five minutes."

She pulls back and looks into his eyes. They are dancing with love. She manages to open her legs and pull him more fully against her body.  Locking her ankles behind his back, she says, "Then maybe we can take advantage of our bed before we go?"

He pulls her tightly against him and says, "What about the couch?"

She giggles and says, "Why Mr. Carter, I've never..."

He swoops down, sucking her words into his mouth as he seals their lips together in an ardent kiss. She revels in the savagery of it, her heart fluttering with desire. She reaches down his back and slowly draws her nails up it, causing him to groan into her mouth. Ripping his way, he whispers, "Fuck, Penelope, I wanted to be romantic tonight."

She giggles and says, "Who says it's not?"

He smirks, causing her body to tense. "In that case..." He grabs the top of the shirt she's wearing, ripping it in half. She gasps as he looks down at her body. Licking his lips, he says, "Damn you're gorgeous. And no panties? Miss Evans, I never would have guessed!"

She giggles. "What? You're telling me you've never dated a woman that went commando?"

He blushes and says, "My GOD, you're just like AJ."

She looks at him in horror. "You mean now you don't want me because my brother is your friend?"

He chuckles and pushes her back against the cushions, sliding his fingers through the soft downy curls surrounding her sex.  With his fingers gently probing her, he whispers, "Baby, I want you now and always."

 

When they meet AJ and Sage at the airport, AJ just laughs. It's painfully obvious to AJ that Nick has had no sleep. And Penelope looks as wiped out as Nick. Ignoring the elbow to the stomach Sage gives him, AJ says, "Long night, you two?"

Nick growls, "Drop it, AJ."

He laughs again and says, "Now, now, Nick, I have to look after my sister."

Trying to keep her crankiness from showing, Penelope says, "Drop it, AJ. Please?"

He hugs her and kisses her temple, saying, "For you.  For now."

Sage's flight is at a different concourse so they say their goodbyes before getting to the security gate.  Sage hugs Nick, then Penelope. In her ear, she whispers, "AJ is thrilled you're in his life, Penny. I'm happy for you both."

Penelope whispers back, "Thanks. I'm glad he has you."

She moves off to the side with Nick so AJ and Sage can have privacy. Nick folds his arms around her and asks, "You ok?"

She nods against his chest. "Yeah. Just tired."

He kisses the top of her head. "You can sleep on the plane and when we get to the bus."

She nods again. Suddenly, there's an excited squeal close by. "OH MY GOD NICK CARTER!"

He sighs. Penelope pulls away as he turns to face the three fans clamoring up to meet him. Penelope keeps her face averted, hoping none of them notices her, but one says, "Is that your girlfriend? Can we get a picture?"

She hears Nick gently refuse. "I'd appreciate it if you didn't. She's not comfortable with this kind of thing."

Another says, "Whatever. Will she take a picture of us with you?"

Nick says, "I don't know...it's complicated."

The same girl walks past Nick to Penelope and says, "Hey, listen, would you please take our pictures with Nick? We promise not to post any of you on the internet."

Penelope's eyes meet hers and she sees...respect.  Eagerness.  Deciding to take the bull by the horns, she says, "Sure, I'll be happy to."

After snapping pictures, and even more when AJ walks up, the girls take their cameras, hugging Penelope and thanking her as they walk away, giggling. Nick stands by Penelope and says, "Sorry about that."

She puts her head on his shoulder and says, "I'm not. I have to get used to it. They were really nice."

He kisses the top of her head and says, "You did great. They love you."

She snorts and says, "They don't know me, Nick. They love you. We'll see how it goes."

He knows she's worried about her appearance. If the girls were sincere with their promise to not post pictures of her. He knows it's going to happen eventually.  He just hopes and prays that the fans treat her nice.  Yeah, he knows there will be those who think she's not good enough.  But the majority of his fans is awesome and only wants to see him happy.

Once on the plane, he settles back and watches Penelope. She curls up in a ball, leaning on him and almost immediately falls asleep.  He looks across the aisle to AJ, who says, "Think the fans will be nice to her?"

Nick gently kisses the top of her head and says, "I hope so man. I've never really said much to the fans about the women in my life...mostly because they all told me not to. They could take the criticism. I'm not going to let them bad mouth Penelope.  I absolutely refuse."

AJ says, "Nick...what if...I come clean about her being my sister?"

Nick strokes the back of Penelope's hand and says, "What about your Mom, AJ? What does she think?"

AJ smiles. "She's ready for anything, Nick. She just wants to be part of Penelope's life." Seeing Nick stifle a yawn, he says, "Get some sleep. Won't get any later."

Nick snuggles close to Penelope and says, "Think I will. Thanks Man."

 

While Nick and Penelope sleep, AJ watches them. Even in her sleep, she clings to Nick. What's funnier is Nick clings to her. He thinks back to the phone call he made to his mother last night.

"Mom, she's fine, really. After I got through with the bitch, I doubt very seriously she EVER says anything bad about Penny."

Denise sobs. "AJ, that woman...how can she be so cruel to my...to Penelope?"

AJ chuckles. "It's ok, Mom, you can call her your baby. I'm not gonna get mad. I'm still excited."

She sighs deeply. "Alex, I'm so sorry I never told you. It just hurt so much I wanted to forget. But I couldn't. Now...She looks SO much like you."

Deciding to ask a pretty probing question, he says, "What about her father, Mom?"

He can almost see her blush. "Alex, I don't know who he was.  He gave me a fake name and fake number. I never saw him again."

Rolling and unlit cigarette between his fingers. "Mom...when it comes out she's my sister...I want you to know I love you and I'm proud you're my mom. You were only doing what was best for her. She did have a good life. Her father and sister are amazing. I think you'd like them."

Not quite masking her anger, she says, "I want to meet HER. I want to know how she can be so cold hearted to such a beautiful, sweet girl."

Drawn from his reverie, he sees the seatbelt sign is on. He looks over to see Nick and Penelope engaged in a deep probing kiss.  Leaning his head back and closing his eyes, he smiles. Life is good.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Love to know your thoughts!! :)