- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is it....for now!!!  Thanks for sticking with me.  :)

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 15 - Epilogue

 

            No one ever told Penelope life as the girlfriend of a Backstreet Boy would be easy.  She knew there'd be rough waters. Fortunately, those haven't happened yet.  She and Nick have been inseparable and she loves it. 

            The fans really were very accepting.  When they met her, no one mentioned her face. They just hugged her and thanked her for making Nick so happy. 

            Announcing to the world she is AJ McLean's biological sister became a circus.  AJ decided to make the announcement on a morning talk show.  The group was performing after the interview.  Penelope was there, standing to the side while AJ talked about his mother's choices.

            When he started crying, Penelope wanted to fall apart. Through the tears he managed to say, "My mom is awesome. It broke her heart to have to give up Penny. Finding her was sheer luck. Or divine providence, I don't know.  I just know the last ten months have been incredible for her. She and Penny are as close as a mother and daughter can be.  I've never seen my mother so happy."

            AJ's eyes collide with Penelope's and they share a smile. Penelope is just as happy with the situation as Denise. She finally has a mom to share things with. To go to when life gets too tough. To turn to when all she wants to do is cry.

            Which has happened a lot lately. She's been moody and cranky and a royal pain in the ass. Bless Nick and AJ, they've been great. Denise is standing close to Penelope as AJ speaks. She leans closer and whispers, "What's wrong Penny?"

            Penelope sniffles, "Mom, I just...I don't know. I wish I did. Everything makes me cry. At the show last night, they were singing PDA and I cried. How can I cry when they sing that song?"

            Denise puts her arm around her and whispers, "Penelope, could you...be pregnant?"

            The blood drains from Penelope's face. She turns to face Denise. "Mom...I...what?"

            Denise clucks her tongue against her teeth. "It could explain the mood swings. And the buffalo wings dipped in duck sauce you had for breakfast yesterday."

            "Or the spaghettios mixed with baked beans that made Nick gag." Penelope closes her eyes. "Mom..."

            Denise puts her arm around her. "Now, now, what's all this? I thought you and Nick had already talked about having kids."

            "We did," Penelope whispers.  "But later. In a year or two."

            Denise smiles and places a gentle kiss on Penelope's face. "God has other plans, my dear."

 

            After the interview, a producer approaches Penelope about doing a short interview on another show about finding her mother.  Then he asks if her adoptive family would be agreeable to joining the interview.  OK, not something she's sure about doing so she says, "Just...I need to think about it and talk to them."

            He hands her a card and says, "Call if you will and we'll schedule it."

 

            When Nick finishes changing back into ‘normal' clothes, he finds Denise alone. "Where's Penelope?"

            Denise clears her throat. "She, umm, she said she'd meet you at home and for you not to worry."

            Nick looks puzzled. "Is she ok, Denise?"

            Denise smiles brightly. "She's perfectly fine, Nick. Go home."

            When he walks through the door, soft music is playing. More specifically, Penelope is sitting at the piano playing. He stands at the door watching her. When she looks up, he smiles. "That's beautiful, Sweetheart."

            She stops playing and says, "Nick, we have to talk."

            She picks up a tube from the top of the piano and walks up to him. "What's wrong, Penelope."

            She smiles shyly, holding her hands behind her back. "Ask me again Nick."

            He looks completely confused.  Then it dawns on him. He drops down on one knee and puts his hands on her waist. "Penelope, will you marry me?"

            He'd been asking for six months. She kept telling him she wasn't ready. Why wasn't she ready? Her wedding gown, her DREAM wedding gown, is strapless. And the scar on her shoulder would show. She kept telling him to ask after the second surgery.

            She looks down into his face now, knowing it doesn't matter. Her dream dress isn't the necessary part of the ceremony. HE is. She smiles gently and whispers, "Yes."

            He pulls her close, placing his head on her stomach to hug her tightly. "Why now?"

            She kneels in front of him and hands him the tube. He looks down at it, turning it over in his hands. When he sees the two circles and one clearly says ‘pregnant', he pales. Looking into her eyes, he whispers, "You are?"

            She nods shyly. "Yeah. I've already cancelled the surgery. Can we...set a date?"

            He nods.  "Why Penelope?"

            She grins impishly. "If I'm going to wear my dream dress, I have to do it before I get fat."

            Nick chuckles, leaning down to capture her lips in a sultry kiss. When they part, he whispers, "You'll never be fat." Nuzzling her hair, he says, "This weekend? Hawaii?"

            She smiles brightly. "Yes! I'll call Daddy and Juliette."

            Nick smiles, "I'll let AJ and your Mom know."

            She throws her arms around his neck. "I love you Nick."

            He slides his hands down her back to her butt. "I love you too, Penelope."

 

THE END....FOR NOW

 

Chapter End Notes:

Love to know your thoughts! :)