- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry about not updating last night.  Lost track of time.  :(

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 03

 

            After once again fulfilling their bodies' desires, they lay quietly together, whispering back and forth to each other, even though they both are thoroughly exhausted.  Nick dozes off first, leaving Penelope to ponder whether or not coming here was a good idea. Finally, she can't fight sleep any longer and her body falls into a deep, dreamless slumber.

            When she wakes up, dawn is breaking.  She's still lying in Nick's arms, amazed to find she slept through the night. Propping up on her elbow, she watches him sleeping. He has the cutest little half-smile on his face.  The kind that makes her want to kiss him. But she holds back.

            Slipping out of bed, she puts on his t-shirt and goes into the bathroom to take care of business. While she's washing her hands, she looks up into the mirror. Something she tries to avoid. She stares at her face, trying to see what Nick does.  Finally, she closes her eyes and drops her head, once again wondering why he loves her.

            She jumps when Nick says, "You ARE beautiful Penelope. I wish you could see that the scars don't matter."

            She raises her head and meets his gaze in the mirror. She says, "How can you say that Nick?  I mean, LOOK!"

            He says, "I am looking. You ARE beautiful. Every part of you is."

            She turns to him and says, "Why Nick? Why me?"

            He smiles and says, "I told you. Those big green eyes got me hooked. After that it's all about the entire package. You're smart, you're funny, you're sensitive, you're sexy as hell, your kisses are amazing, and when you touch me I lose my mind. I'm so in love with you I can't think straight. So why do you keep asking me that?"

            She's shocked. She stares at him for what seems like forever before saying, "I guess it's just not easy for me to believe in myself anymore."

            He cups her face with his hands and whispers, "Baby, you can. You can believe in yourself because you're WORTH it."

            Leaning into him, she meets his lips for a sweet, lingering kiss. When they part, he says, "Can I ask you something?" She nods and he says, "Why didn't you have the scars removed?"

            She turns away and says, "I can't afford to. My insurance won't cover plastic surgery."

            He says, "Do you think you'd feel differently about yourself if you had them removed?"

            She thinks about it and says, "I don't really know.  I'm just gun-shy about people now.  You'll never know what effort it took to invite you in that first day."

            He takes her hand and pulls her back to the bedroom. They sit on the bed together and he says, "Why did you invite me in? I thought for sure you were gonna run from me."

            She smiles timidly and says, "I wanted to. But a bigger part of me wanted to know why you weren't doing what everyone else did. Why you weren't staring and giving me ‘the look'."

            He says, "I didn't feel sorry for you. I was intrigued. I was sucked in by those eyes.  But I didn't feel sorry for you. I felt sad that you had obviously been through something incredibly devastating.  I was dying to ask, but I figured you'd run from me."

            She kisses his shoulder and says, "I would have."

            Sliding down in the bed so once again, she's lying with her head on his shoulder, he says, "I knew it. I knew I just had to be patient and prove to you it didn't matter."

            She sighs and says, "You really don't think it will bother your friends? Did you tell them?"

            He says, "First of all, I've known these guys my whole lives. None of them are going to look at you and see that scar. Maybe at first, but I swear, they aren't going to give you that pity look you hate so much. Second, all I told AJ was your name. He's the only one bugging the shit out of me to find out why I'm so happy."

            She tilts her head back to look at him and says, "Really?"

            He says, "Yes, he seriously bugs the shit out of me."

            She says, "No...not that. Are you happy?"

            He sighs dramatically and says, "Penelope, I swear to God you have made me the happiest man on the planet in the last six months.  Trust me, if it wasn't for you, I'd be back in LA right now."

            She says, "Wait, what? LA? You live in LA?"

            He says, "Yeah. I do."

            She says, "But you're living in New York now?"

            He smiles and says, "Yeah. So?"

            She says, "Why are you living in New York?"

            He tweaks her nose and says, "Because you do, silly girl."

 

            At 11:30 they are dressed and waiting for AJ to show up with pizza. Nick had already made a salad to go with lunch, and Penelope is so nervous, she's about to jump out of her skin.  Nick tries to distract her by teaching her to play one of his favorite video games. 

            As he's showing her the finer points of killing aliens, his door bell rings.  He sees her jump and kisses her gently, whispering, "Don't worry. It's gonna be fine."

            She stands and waits as he walks over to the door. When AJ comes in, he's all smiles. He hands Nick the pizza and makes a b-line for Penelope. He grabs her hand and says, "It's about time he started sharing you with us. Hi, I'm AJ. Penelope, right?"

            She nods and says quietly, "Yeah, that's me. It's nice to meet you."

            Nick laughs and says, "Now, see AJ, I told you she was real. Come on, let's eat while it's hot."

            Over lunch, AJ coaxes Penelope to talk about herself. Mostly her job and her hobbies. She doesn't feel like he's staring at her and not once did she get the "pity" look. But she knows he's curious.  She excuses herself to go to the bathroom, leaving the door open for AJ to whisper, "What the hell man, you could have warned me."

            Nick whispers back, "Does it matter?"

            AJ rolls his eyes and says, "NO, it doesn't matter.  I felt like I was staring...then her eyes got me.  She is beautiful Nick."

            Nick sort of smiles and says, "I wish she'd believe that. She keeps thinking all we're gonna see is that scar."

            AJ says, "What happened?"

            Nick says, "Not my story to tell. When she's ready, you'll know. OK?"

            AJ nods and says, "Fair enough. You should bring her to the next show. Howie's gonna flip over her eyes. Damn, they are gorgeous."

            Nick's smile grows as she walks back into the room. Taking her hand as she sits at the table again, he says, "Her eyes were what hooked me AJ."

            She meets his gaze and they share a smile that makes AJ proud of his little brother. Proud and happy. He's finally found a good, decent woman. Now if he can just hang on to her.

 

            AJ stays for over 2 hours. Penelope happily lets him play her part of the video game and has fun watching them. They are really good friends and Nick was right. AJ accepted her without question.  Maybe the scars aren't so bad.

            After AJ leaves, Nick collapses on the couch and says, "Is it mean of me to say ‘I told you so'?"

            She kind of laughs and says, "It's rude. But you're right. He is a nice guy. He hardly stared at all."

            Nick smirks and says, "He's curious."

            She nods and says, "I figured. Did you tell him?"

            Nick shakes his head and says, "No. It's not my story to tell unless you want me to tell them."

            With her arms wrapped around her stomach, she says, "I don't know."

            He holds out his hand and says, "Come here, Penelope." When she walks over and sits beside him, he pulls her into a loving embrace and says, "The details won't matter. All it will do is tell them how it happened. They are gonna love you almost as much as I do. You're gonna be part of our family now."

            A light goes off in her head and she groans. "Family! Oh my God, tonight's my nephew's birthday dinner!"

            Nick says, "Want me to take you home?"

            She turns to him and says, "I need to go get dressed."  When he looks down as her hand in his, she whispers, "I wish you could go with me."

            His eyes come back up to meet hers and he says, "Do you want me to?"

            She nods and says, "More than anything. But I'm not subjecting you to my mother. You'll run for sure."

            He says, "Oh, another secret you're keeping?"

            She sighs and says, "My mother is...well, let's just say I'm a major disappointment."

            He shakes his head and says, "How can that be possible?"

            She thinks about it a minute and says, "You know, since I'm being all brave today, would you like to go with me? That way, maybe she'll behave."

            He smiles and says, "You're serious?"

            She says, "I am. Not that I'm all that thrilled to be subjecting you to my mother, but today...well, I've had more fun today than I have in 3 years. I don't want to leave you to go to this party."

            He says, "If you're sure, I'd love to go. I don't really want to give you up either."

            She smiles and says, "Let me call Juliette and let her know you're coming with me, then we'll swing by my place and I'll change."

            He says, "What should I wear?"

            She looks at his outfit. A pair of khakis and a red polo shirt. She says, "You look perfectly fine.  I just need to be more presentable."

            He looks her over. She has on jeans and a purple sweater. He says, "How are you not presentable? You look beautiful."

            She goes into his bedroom and looks at herself in his mirror. Finally, she turns to him and says, "You know, you're right. I'm comfortable."

            He hugs her and says, "Are you sure you're ok with me going?"

            With her arms around his waist, she says, "I'm more than sure. Let me call Juliette and see what time she wants us there."

            He kisses her gently and says, "This is turning out to be a pretty special weekend."

            With her forehead against his chin, she says, "For me too."

            Nick says, "Lucky for me you got in my cab that day."

            She giggles and says, "You got in MY cab, Mister!"

            He picks her up and swings her around, saying, "I do love you Penelope Evans."  After kissing her deeply, he says, "Hey...what's your middle name?"

            She smiles and says, "Siobahn."

            He says, "Penelope Sibobahn Evans.  Very pretty name for an incredibly beautiful woman."

            She giggles and says, "Well, I happen to think Nickolas Gene Carter suits you."

            He says, "How did you know my middle name?"

            She laughs and says, "I googled you."

            He sits on the couch with her straddling his lap and says, "Want to do more than google me?"

            She says, "I'd love to."

            Their kisses become heated as their hands start to roam.  Just as he's pushing her shirt up, her cell phone rings. She pulls back and says, "I bet we're late."

            He says, "Fashionably late is good, right?"

            She rolls her eyes and says, "Not with my mother."

            She answers her phone and says, "Hey Juliette, I know I'm late. I'm sorry."

            Juliette says, "You know it's ok with me, but Mother is having a fit. Are you on your way?"

            Knowing it's bad, Penelope says, "I should be there in twenty minutes. Umm, Juliette, is it ok if I bring someone?"

            Curiosity piqued, Juliette says, "Would it be this man you've been trying to NOT tell me about for a couple of months."

            Playing with the collar on his shirt and staring into his eyes, Penelope says, "Yeah."

            Juliette says, "What's his name?"

            Penelope smiles and says, "Nick."

            He leans forward and kisses her cheek as Juliette says, "I'll tell them you're on your way. I can't wait to see the man that made you smile again. Love you Sis. See you soon."

            When she hangs up, Nick says, "I made you smile again?"  When she nods, he whispers, "I'm glad. I love your smile. Almost as much as I love you."

            She hugs him and says, "I really hope my parents don't chase you away."

            He says, "Never gonna happen. I promise."

            With her head lying on his shoulder, she sighs and says, "I'm glad we met Nick."

            He kisses her neck and says, "Me too, Penelope. Me too."

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Let me know! :)