- Text Size +

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 04

 

                Penelope gives Nick directions to her sister's house.  Once they are on the road, Nick says, "Penelope, what's the deal with your parents? Why do you think they are disappointed in you?"

            She says, "Well, you know I was adopted right?" He nods and she says, "When I was little, I had ballet lessons, piano lessons, every kind of high-brow, uppity, snobbish thing you could think of. But I'm too short to be a dancer and my piano playing is mediocre at best."

            He says, "So?"

            She says, "Well, since I couldn't follow my mother's dream of being a famous dancer or concert pianist, I was expected to follow my father's dream of me joining the family business."

            Nick says, "Which is?"

            She says, "Imports and exports.  He wanted me to go into business and take over for him some day, but...I just don't have the intuition he does. It's not for me. I'm happy doing what I'm doing and it just kills them."

            Nick wonders about her comment earlier, about not being able to afford to have her scars removed. Instead of asking THAT question, he says, "What about your sister?"

            She chuckles and says, "Married Dad's right hand man.  She's happy being a stay-at-home mom, volunteering and such.  I just...I love my work. I enjoy it. I'm good at it.  But it's not a good enough career choice for my parents. Especially my mother."

            He says, "So, let me get this...you're happy with what you do...yet they are disappointed you're happy?"

            She chuckles and says, "Pretty much, yeah."

            He says, "And I thought my mom was fucked up." When she looks at him curiously, he glances her way and says, "How about I tell you that story after dinner. We'll compare mothers and see who wins."

            She giggles and says, "You're on. But I'll win."

 

            When Nick stops in front of Juliette's house, he whistles and says, "My place in LA isn't this big."

            She laughs and says, "Hideous isn't it? I hate it."

            When they start up to the door, he can tell she's getting nervous. He stops her and says, "Your parents will not chase me away."

            She hugs him and says, "I know. I just hate dealing with them."

            He says, "Don't worry, Sweetie. You're not alone."

            She squeezes his hand and says, "I'm not letting go of you all night."

 

            When Juliette opens the door, she grabs her sister into a giant hug and says, "I've missed you! Look how cute you look, come in!"

            Once inside, Penelope says, "Juliette, this is Nick Carter. Nick, my sister, Juliette Manzetti."

            Juliette shakes his hand and then shocks him by grabbing him and hugging him, whispering, "Thank you!"

            When she steps back, he says, "Umm, it's nice to meet you."

            She laughs and says, "Come on, Anthony is excited. He only turns 10 once you know."

            Penelope says, "You got the gift, right?"

            Juliette says, "Of course we did. He's gonna flip he's getting a Nook. You're a very good auntie."

            She says, "Well, Anthony likes to read like I do. We have that in common."

            Before anyone can say anything else, from behind them, they here, "It's good of you to finally show up, Penelope."

            She turns and says, "Hello, Mother. Juliette knew I was running behind. It IS Anthony's party after all." She turns to Nick and says, "Nick, this is my mother, Katrina Evans. Mother, this is Nick Carter."

            Nick keeps his arm around Penelope and says, "It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Evans."

            She eyes Nick closely, noting the way he's holding her daughter and says, "I suppose she met you at her JOB." 

The way she says it, she makes it sound like a dirty word. Nick says, "Actually, no, we don't work together. She tried to steal my cab in the rain."

Penelope looks up at him and a look of love passes between them that even her mother can't deny. She says, "Sounds like my flighty daughter. Taking a cab." As if Nick is inconsequential, she says, "Come into the parlor, Penelope. Your father would like a word with you."

As she walks away, Nick whistles under his breath and says, "You win."

Penelope giggles and says, "I'll collect later. Want to hang out with Juliette while I go get my lecture?"

He squeezes her and says, "Nope. I made you a promise. Besides, what kind of boyfriend would I be if I left you alone after that?"

Juliette watches them walk away, smiling brightly. She turns and walks briskly into the dining room to find her husband and says, "Cosimo, you're NOT gonna believe this!"

 

Nick follows her into the parlor to find a stately looking gentleman roughly 60 years old reading papers in a file folder. He looks up when Penelope says, "Working on a Saturday, Daddy?"

            He smiles and says, "I always work Punkin. You know that."

            Katrina rolls her eyes and says, "Donald, please...don't call her by that childish name."

            He shakes his head and says, "Loosen up, Katrina." Turning back to Penelope, he says, "Who's your friend, Punkin?"

            Penelope fights the smile that's bubbling up inside and says, "Daddy, this is Nick Carter. Nick, my father, Donald Evans."

            Nick holds out his hand and says, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Sir."

            He shakes Nick's hand and says, "Nice to meet you too, young man."

            Katrina clears her throat and says, "Donald..."

            He says, "Katrina, for God's sake, it's Anthony's dinner. Can't you let this stuff go for a night?"

            She says, "Donald, we never see Penelope.  Now is the only opportunity..."

            Penelope butts in and says, "Excuse, but I'm standing right here. Daddy, what's going on?"

            Before he can answer, her mother says, "Penelope, maybe we should talk privately." She looks pointedly at Nick and he feels like he's being dismissed.

            Before he can move, Penelope says, "If he leaves, I'm going with him. I don't hide things from Nick. So what's the problem?"  Nick squeezes her hand, letting her know he's not going to leave her.

            Her mother says, "Very well. Don't you think it's time you came to your senses? You need to come and work with your father."

            Penelope sighs and says, "Mother, I like my job. I'm good at it. Why can't you just be happy for me?"

            Katrina says, "You're throwing your life away, Penelope. You're destined to be better than a glorified teacher's assistant. I just don't know why you work so hard to let me down."

            Nick feels Penelope tense up and he says, "Excuse me, but your daughter is more than a glorified teacher's assistant."

            Katrina looks at him and says, "What business is it of yours? You're just out to get your hands on the money like Dave was."

            At the mention of her ex, Penelope pales considerably. She says, "Mother, Nick isn't...he's nothing like Dave. How dare you!"

            Donald stands and says, "She's right Katrina. That was a cruel thing to say."

            Katrina looks at her husband and says, "So you're happy she's disgracing us this way?"

            Nick feels Penelope starting to shake and he's fighting the urge to call her mother a few choice names. Instead, he says, "Maybe we should just go."

            Katrina says, "I'll tell you right now, young man, you're not getting one dime of money. If that's all your out for, you're out of luck." Looking at Penelope, she says, "Do you seriously think it's not about the money, Penelope? I mean, look at your face...you won't even get it fixed! It has to be about the money!"

            Nick holds Penelope up. It's like she's been hit in the stomach when her mother spouts her venom. Knowing he can't keep his mouth shut any longer, Nick says, "For your information, Mrs. Evans, I don't want or need your money. I do very well on my own. As for your daughter, she's beautiful just the way she is and she doesn't have to change a thing for me. Personally, I think you're missing out on something special if you don't see your daughter for who she really is. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to take her home. With me. If you want to get in touch with her, you can call my manager. Her name is Jennifer Sousa with Prospect Park Management. If you'll excuse us."

            Nick leads her to the door, practically carrying her. When Juliette sees Penelope's face, and the anger on Nick's, she says, "Call me later and let me know she's ok."

            Nick says, "I will. I'm sorry."

            Juliette says, "Don't be. I'm the one who's sorry." She hugs her sister and says, "Penelope...I love you."

            Penelope nods and says, "Love you. Tell Anthony I'm sorry."

            She says, "Don't worry about him. Go home with Nick."

 

            Once in the car, Nick pulls her into his arms and lets her cry. She whispers, "I'm so sorry Nick."

            He says, "Why are you sorry? Your mother was the one being the bitch. I should say I'm sorry for going off on her."

            She sniffs and says, "Get me out of here Nick."

 

            When they get to his apartment, she curls up in a chair and stares off into space. He can almost see the walls going up to shut him out again. He says, "Penelope, look at me." When she does, he says, "You're perfect just the way you are. You're beautiful, inside and out. Don't let her put a wall between us. Please. I love you."

            She says, "I love you too Nick. But she's right. I could have used their money and had the surgery...but I didn't."

            He sits on the floor in front of her and plays with her feet as he looks up and says, "Why didn't you?"

            She says, "I don't want to depend on anything from her. She's made it clear adopting me was the worst mistake of her life. She even said it on my last birthday. Of course, no one heard it but me.  I just...I wasn't good enough for my real mother, now I'm not good enough for the one that CHOSE me. How can I be good enough for you?"

            He lets go of her foot and gets on his knees in front of her.  With his hands on her thighs he says, "Stop right there. She's the one not good enough for YOU! As for your birth mother...you don't know why you were given up. Maybe she was young. Maybe she was sick...maybe it wasn't about you." He moves closer to her and whispers, "You're too good for me, Sweetheart. Yet here we are. You love me, I love you...so don't let her ruin what we've found. OK?"

            She stares into his eyes and whispers, "I'll try not to." After he gently kisses her, she whispers, "Don't give up on me Nick."

            He puts his forehead against hers and says, "Never gonna happen, Baby. Never gonna happen."

 

            After they go to bed and she falls asleep in his arms, he grabs her phone and dials her sister. When Juliette answers, he says, "I wanted to let you know she's ok now. I'm sorry about what I said to your mother."

            She snorts and says, "Don't be. Dad was furious with her and so am I. Is Penelope really ok?"

            Looking down at her sleeping against his chest, he says, "Yeah, she's sleeping. Juliette, why is your mother so hateful towards her? Penelope's a good person."

            Juliette says, "If I knew I'd tell you."

            He says, "Why is she so fixated on Penelope fixing that scar? It's not that bad."

            Juliette sighs and says, "To be honest, Mother is ashamed that her daughter carries a scar like that. It's a reminder that the boy they handpicked for Penelope was a giant asshole."

            Nick says, "He was their idea?"

            Juliette says, "Yeah. He worked for Daddy. Mom thought it was perfect. And Penelope did try. She cared about him a lot. Then after it all happened, instead of supporting Penelope, Mother tried to say that Penelope must have done something to drive him to such an extreme." When Nick doesn't say anything, Juliette says, "Nick, my sister is very much in love with you. Please don't hurt her."

            With tears in his eyes, he says, "I'd die before I hurt her. I can promise you that."

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hope you're still enjoying it!  Let me know!!! :)